A Shitstorm

Which do you prefer?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Serendipiteit

Jul 29, 2019
So one way this issue could be resolved in a way that impacts no-one's enjoyment of how they play the game is to let Buildcraft's energy net accept power from RF producers and power RF-based machines. This might upset some people, but then people are free to build whatever system they so desire, using either RF or MJ for their energy net and not being penalised for either. This would also mean that Railcraft and Forestry switching to RF would have no impact on MJ users, as their systems could still power everything and be powered by everything as it once was.

This would make everything very convenient, but it would also make part of that mod completely ignored, as people will never think of using that mod's own power generation systems. I like MJ, but even now in my multiplayer server I power my fillers and centrifuge using conduits that carry RF from dynamos. Reika was also complaining about how everyone uses magnetostatic engine instead of Rotarycraft's own machines. Personally I think the best way to ensure survival of one specific power system is to remove all compatibility between that system and the RF. People will use that mod's own system if there isn't any easy alternative.

Yusunoha

Jul 29, 2019
I don't have a problem with RF and I really love when mods become really compatible with eachother, so more mods using RF sounds good to me

but I'll be honest, I'm dumb as f***
I don't mind doing some math and setting up a bit of a complex system, but I don't really like it if I need to do step after step after step, constantly calculating and constantly keeping everything in check to be able to produce a good amount of power. could RF become a bit more complicated? sure, but I do love the simplicity of RF

though it'd be nice if for example a mod could influence the whole RF system with perhaps lowering the generation of most RF generators and perhaps adding some difficulty to the system

trajing

Jul 29, 2019
was there any gameplay difference between conduit transferring MJ and conduits transferring RF?

was there such a thing? i only remember iridium(and other metals) duping caused by TiCo and GT interaction.
You could dupe platinum and turn it into iridium. It did take rich slag, though.

RJS

Jul 29, 2019
This would make everything very convenient, but it would also make part of that mod completely ignored, as people will never think of using that mod's own power generation systems. I like MJ, but even now in my multiplayer server I power my fillers and centrifuge using conduits that carry RF from dynamos. Reika was also complaining about how everyone uses magnetostatic engine instead of Rotarycraft's own machines. Personally I think the best way to ensure survival of one specific power system is to remove all compatibility between that system and the RF. People will use that mod's own system if there isn't any easy alternative.

Hmm yeah, I see where you're coming from. Maybe make RF and MJ not convert automatically, so TE conduits can't power stuff like a BC quarry. Then add conversion blocks that are A. inefficient, so that it takes way more RF than it would need if MJ had been used instead and B. limited. Part of the appeal of the magnetostatic is that even with the nerfs applied, a fully upgraded magnetostatic is capable of powering an extractor. One way to conserve independent power systems without forcing people to work through the basics up to the top tier every time is to make it so that conversion blocks can power lower tier stuff, albeit at an efficiency loss, but the mid to high-tier stuff requires you to make use of that mod's own power system.

This allows people who have already gone through one mod's power gen/energy setup to get going with basic machinery from another mod, which they can then use to get set up with a different power system without having to build yet another low-tier coal-powered engine or whatever. It conserves the independence of the power systems without putting too much extra workload on someone just because they chose a different power system. As with all my ideas though, this one's probably pretty poor as well.

Padfoote

Brick Thrower
Forum Moderator
Dec 11, 2013
As with all my ideas though, this one's probably pretty poor as well.

No, it's exactly what I would like to see, just explained far better than I could hope to do.

boondockArtist

Jul 29, 2019
I'm a hypocrite in the matter here. I like redstone flux as a system, and I cannot say that I do not use it because that is a flat out lie. However, I personally want to see it more complex. Or at least, a little bit more? I mean, hell, they gave the machines tiers in TE4, why not use that as an example of energy tiering, same goes with the various conduits/energy ducts(?) out there. Like, there could be Low RedstoneFlux (LRF), Intermediate RF (IRF), High RF (HRF) and Resonant RF (RRF). That's four tiers to go with the four machine tiers.

Of course, that would mean that resonant energy ducts would have to be a thing, but I remember reading once that somebody would rather want that late game anyway. And with this, there'd have to be converters, and dynamo changes. Steam dynamos/survivalist engines/stirling generator/other early energy producers would supply you with LRF, and the same pattern going with what you'd see fit, probably the RRF power producing tier would include things like the reactant dynamos and big reactors and all that fun stuff. Cells would probably need upgrades for like, how much energy they can store at the price of the speed of filling up, because, well, the tiers should probably effect them too. The only thing that'd probably accept all types of RF would probably be the capacitor banks from Ender IO, and the same for MFR machines, but you'd need converters if you want to take the energy out or put them into machines (see below). Also energy loss should be a thing with ducts, with the lower tiers being the most notable. The highest tier would still have a energy loss in distance, but not something to worry about like you should and would with the previous teirs

With the tiers, you can't say, use HRF on a basic machine, otherwise that would overload said machine and possibly fry it. No explosions, just the inner workings of the machine just, stop working and the machine could very well turn back into a machine frame, losing whatever you have in there, upgrades, whatever you're doing, etc. Using LRF on, say a resonant machine is inefficient and with that example, it'd probably be a fourth of the energy going in, or it may drain the LRF without even accepting it.

To solve the problem of "hey! everything got fried! how can I use RRF in my basic machines u ruined my system everything got destroyed I hate u!!!11!11!", there'd be converters for every tier to every tier. LRF to IRF would be a 4:1 change, LRF to HRF would be 16:1 and so ons, the amount of energy required to convert going up by x4 per tier. IRF to higher iterations would be by x3 the amount per tier, and finally, HRF to RRF would be 2:1. And this would all go in reverse for whatever other reason you'd want to do that. For inter mod compatibility, there'd be converters between all the different types of RF to finally, pure RF, if there's a mod that would still require the old, easy system for it to run, like MineFactoryReloaded, unless they'd change it, and EnderIO and any other mod that adds a general energy storage battery. Pure RF would be about around IRF levels in both amounts and converting.

Of course, for the people who'd want a simpler sort of RF system

Unrelated to all of that, I'd personally like to see the energy go to mundane uses, like powering lights and fans of all kinds, for those times you have too much energy that you don't know what to do with. Also it gives you a reason to manage things better.

Sorry for the huge wall of text, even if it is spaced out. If anybody wants me to put it in a spoiler, I can do that.

But yeah, no single energy system when they're so easily compatible nowadays.

midi_sec

Jul 29, 2019
I'm a hypocrite in the matter here. I like redstone flux as a system, and I cannot say that I do not use it because that is a flat out lie. However, I personally want to see it more complex. Or at least, a little bit more? I mean, hell, they gave the machines tiers in TE4, why not use that as an example of energy tiering, same goes with the various conduits/energy ducts(?) out there. Like, there could be Low RedstoneFlux (LRF), Intermediate RF (IRF), High RF (HRF) and Resonant RF (RRF). That's four tiers to go with the four machine tiers.

Of course, that would mean that resonant energy ducts would have to be a thing, but I remember reading once that somebody would rather want that late game anyway. And with this, there'd have to be converters, and dynamo changes. Steam dynamos/survivalist engines/stirling generator/other early energy producers would supply you with LRF, and the same pattern going with what you'd see fit, probably the RRF power producing tier would include things like the reactant dynamos and big reactors and all that fun stuff. Cells would probably need upgrades for like, how much energy they can store at the price of the speed of filling up, because, well, the tiers should probably effect them too. The only thing that'd probably accept all types of RF would probably be the capacitor banks from Ender IO, and the same for MFR machines, but you'd need converters if you want to take the energy out or put them into machines (see below). Also energy loss should be a thing with ducts, with the lower tiers being the most notable. The highest tier would still have a energy loss in distance, but not something to worry about like you should and would with the previous teirs

With the tiers, you can't say, use HRF on a basic machine, otherwise that would overload said machine and possibly fry it. No explosions, just the inner workings of the machine just, stop working and the machine could very well turn back into a machine frame, losing whatever you have in there, upgrades, whatever you're doing, etc. Using LRF on, say a resonant machine is inefficient and with that example, it'd probably be a fourth of the energy going in, or it may drain the LRF without even accepting it.

To solve the problem of "hey! everything got fried! how can I use RRF in my basic machines u ruined my system everything got destroyed I hate u!!!11!11!", there'd be converters for every tier to every tier. LRF to IRF would be a 4:1 change, LRF to HRF would be 16:1 and so ons, the amount of energy required to convert going up by x4 per tier. IRF to higher iterations would be by x3 the amount per tier, and finally, HRF to RRF would be 2:1. And this would all go in reverse for whatever other reason you'd want to do that. For inter mod compatibility, there'd be converters between all the different types of RF to finally, pure RF, if there's a mod that would still require the old, easy system for it to run, like MineFactoryReloaded, unless they'd change it, and EnderIO and any other mod that adds a general energy storage battery. Pure RF would be about around IRF levels in both amounts and converting.

Of course, for the people who'd want a simpler sort of RF system

Unrelated to all of that, I'd personally like to see the energy go to mundane uses, like powering lights and fans of all kinds, for those times you have too much energy that you don't know what to do with. Also it gives you a reason to manage things better.

Sorry for the huge wall of text, even if it is spaced out. If anybody wants me to put it in a spoiler, I can do that.

But yeah, no single energy system when they're so easily compatible nowadays.

That's complication just for complication's sake though. Actually, I think that falls more in line with depth. You're adding more tiers for...what? To suck up time. That is annoying, not fun.

I want problems to solve. I want to have to actually think about how I am going to design a factory's power grid.

Last edited:

boondockArtist

Jul 29, 2019
Eh. thinking about it now I see that that's all one big wall of stupid. I could just remove as well, including this comment. sorry for getting involved I'm a doofus.

eric167

Jul 29, 2019
I find RF to be alright, especially when confined to TE use only.
but I prefer the depth and complexity present in, say, Rotarycraft rather than plug-n-play power systems.

Nanolathe

Jul 29, 2019
No mention of Pneumatic Craft's Pressure? I am dissapoint.

I like RF, both as an API and in the way that it's implemented for the vast majority of mods that use it. I could stand a little more complexity, I could stand a little more depth...

But I'm not going to act like I'm entitled to anything more than a Mod Author is willing to produce. This thread has a little too much "I want" going on for my tastes.

midi_sec

Jul 29, 2019
I'm not seeing it. It doesn't feel "mechanical".

I admit, I haven't messed with pneumaticraft, only watched a couple videos. That pressure chamber thing? That's very mechanical, come on. :p

Pneumatic air cylinders and actuators irl as well. Pneumatics can be considered "mechanical" because without a mechanical device to be powered by it, pneumatic pressure itself has limited uses.

Queue

Jul 29, 2019
I'm not seeing it. It doesn't feel "mechanical".
I originally was writing about ALL power systems but the post was nearly 6 thousand words long... So I changed it to RF vs MJ with Mechanical power as a random poll option.

Nanolathe

Jul 29, 2019
*shrug*

Mechanical insofar that its "machines" doesn't use magic or electric power to achieve their goals, sure. But technically, pneumatic power are part of what's collectively called "Fluid Power", along with hydraulics.

Status
Not open for further replies.