A Rotarycraft Thread (Meanders a little)

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Looks like the HSLA steel recipe changed a bit; in-game manual needs updating. Now requires sand in addition to previous gunpowder and coal/charcoal.

Physicist

Jul 29, 2019
I'm not sure what the issue is here, extractors are direction-blind.
I may have confused myself, then, during the earlier discussions in this thread. I'd like to turn the face of the machine so the more interesting looking side faces out.

For that discussion, I was attempting something very similar (except early early game, by comparison) to what you have, but instead of running Factorization Routers, I was running AE import and export buses. Those buses are incapable of removing items from any slot but the flake/byproduct slots. Over IRC and at least once in this thread, someone mentioned Facto Routers maybe possibly circumventing the restrictions, and I considered trying it, but my inexperience with routers coupled with Reika's expressed design intentions for the extractor made me try CVTs instead. I'm interested to see that routers do work. Thanks for proving it.

I'm a little shocked to see that magnetostatics can do 4MW, but I don't think I'll use them. I like AC engines and generating power in-mod, and my next project is to use AE automation to swap the magnetized shaft cores in and out for re-magnetization.

ScorpioOld

Jul 29, 2019
I'm a little shocked to see that magnetostatics can do 4MW, but I don't think I'll use them. I like AC engines and generating power in-mod, and my next project is to use AE automation to swap the magnetized shaft cores in and out for re-magnetization.

I support this change from 8 to 4 MW otherwise majority of things from RC were not used. Personally I like jet engines and after magnetostatic ones I switch to gas and micro turbines.

I dislike the explosion of industrial coils. I had two from very early game energy storage and wanted quickly try something ... half of my base became ruins.

EyeDeck

Apr 16, 2013
I beg to differ. :D
Ah, I specifically mean per processing line. I experimented with a few setups involving three extractors (stage 1, 2&3, and 4), but found that it performed exactly the same as a two-extractor setup, so for optimal power efficiency one extractor with moderate torque and another with almost no torque seems to be best.
Maybe overclock those friction heaters? :D
Unfortunately they don't seem to have a speed where the duration ends up rounding down to 0 (or something) like extractors do, so it ends up taking multiple times the power requirement to run the extractors to match their output speed.

I may have confused myself, then, during the earlier discussions in this thread. I'd like to turn the face of the machine so the more interesting looking side faces out.
Yep, they won't do that. Functionality isn't impacted, but you may end up the boring side facing outward.
I'm a little shocked to see that magnetostatics can do 4MW, but I don't think I'll use them.
Pre-nerf they could do 8MW and had variable torque and speed output. Oh well, just gotta double up and use gearboxes bow.
I like AC engines and generating power in-mod, and my next project is to use AE automation to swap the magnetized shaft cores in and out for re-magnetization.
The power for that particular setup is actually being generated by a couple of gas turbines in a containment building a few hundred blocks away (rotational dynamos -> tesseract -> magnetostatics), but having to lay that many shafts is a pain, and it's quite a bit harder to get the fine control over power converting to RF first provides. I suppose a slightly larger pile of microturbines would work too, but I'm not too keen on on the idea of trying to use hundreds of AC engines to accomplish the same thing, for this or any other reasonably high-draw application for that matter.

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
Ah, I specifically mean per processing line. I experimented with a few setups involving three extractors (stage 1, 2&3, and 4), but found that it performed exactly the same as a
Unfortunately they don't seem to have a speed where the duration ends up rounding down to 0 (or something) like extractors do, so it ends up taking multiple times the power requirement to run the extractors to match their output speed.
What temperature are they running at?

kilteroff

Jul 29, 2019
Reika is there any way to speed up the lava smeltery? Does putting a friction heater on the smeltery or rock melter speed them up? I'm at work, can't check -_-

Is there any way you can add screwdriver shift+click functionality to shafts to make them able to have that nice bare texture they have when placed vertically, horizontally? I run them everywhere in lieu of tessies and what have you, and I don't like the horizontal graphic where you see the mount :/

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
Reika is there any way to speed up the lava smeltery? Does putting a friction heater on the smeltery or rock melter speed them up? I'm at work, can't check -_-

Is there any way you can add screwdriver shift+click functionality to shafts to make them able to have that nice bare texture they have when placed vertically, horizontally? I run them everywhere in lieu of tessies and what have you, and I don't like the horizontal graphic where you see the mount :/
No to all.

EyeDeck

Apr 16, 2013
What temperature are they running at?
Oh, I'm wrong. I tested running a single furnace @ 2000c at one point, but found it took almost the entire output of a gas turbine to get it there. I then dismissed the idea as silly and opted to use an array of lower-power furnaces instead, and promptly forgot the reasoning behind that decision.

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
Such sad, very no.
Wow. :p

Oh, I'm wrong. I tested running a single furnace @ 2000c at one point, but found it took almost the entire output of a gas turbine to get it there. I then dismissed the idea as silly and opted to use an array of lower-power furnaces instead, and promptly forgot the reasoning behind that decision.
I never said it was easy. ;)

Reactions: kilteroff

Shevron

Aug 12, 2013
Although I'm yet to start with rotarycraft (still!), I love how Reika closely monitors this forums and adds sensible feedback to his mod suggestions / complaints / potential bugs.

I've had that sort of discussion with the lengthy Thank You Meteorcraft .... thread, and I loved the feedback back and forth.

Keep up the good work dude :D

Edit: Huge list of spelling mistakes. I just woke up and nursing a massive Jagermeister hangover. My spelling skills have been reduced by 9000.

Reactions: DriftinFool

PonyKuu

Jul 29, 2019
A bump!

Can someone, please post some good rotarycraft setups they have? I'm searching for some inspiration to make cool RC stuff in my own world :)

kilteroff

Jul 29, 2019
It IS actually pretty wonderful when authors participate in the community, as opposed to say, E who shall not be named >_> Thank you @Reika :)

Can the new limits on gearboxes be added to the manual please? Right now the only info in the changelogs is: "RotaryCraft: Redesigned gearbox damage mechanics" I blew up two stone boxes last night real quick not knowing they even could explode now, and I don't want to reverse-engineer the values possibly losing steel / diamonds in the process.

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
It IS actually pretty wonderful when authors participate in the community, as opposed to say, E who shall not be named >_> Thank you @Reika :)

Can the new limits on gearboxes be added to the manual please? Right now the only info in the changelogs is: "RotaryCraft: Redesigned gearbox damage mechanics" I blew up two stone boxes last night real quick not knowing they even could explode now, and I don't want to reverse-engineer the values possibly losing steel / diamonds in the process.
I will make the "load limits" section mention it.

Reactions: kilteroff

Hannibal_00

Jul 29, 2019
You know it just occurred to me when I was browsing the reactorcraft handbook to look at some descriptions. I realized there's no actual blueprint of the tokemak there, like dimensions/patterns of the injector, magnets or the centre solenoid. I've built 5 of these and I never realized, I just eyeballed your tutorial video for it. Is it actually in the handbook and I just overlooked something?

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
You know it just occurred to me when I was browsing the reactorcraft handbook to look at some descriptions. I realized there's no actual blueprint of the tokemak there, like dimensions/patterns of the injector, magnets or the centre solenoid. I've built 5 of these and I never realized, I just eyeballed your tutorial video for it. Is it actually in the handbook and I just overlooked something?
That is far too much information for the handbook.

Hannibal_00

Jul 29, 2019
Can't say I disagree, but something in game would help in the building that much I'll say, both to new builders of it and old (I know I would appreciate it). Have you considered it though? Maybe something like with how the fusion reactor in Gregtech shows its blueprint, or some projector slides to put in the Rotarycraft projector?