A Rotarycraft Thread (Meanders a little)

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
The extractor, internally, has to be built using gears and shafts to split the rotational power it is receiving between its components. So, even though we don't have them, I can imagine 4 hypothetical machines, each with the power requirements of a single stage.

However, the hypothetical multistage machine would have to use 'magic' gearing to duplicate the way that the all-in-one extractor can share the torque between the stages.

Now, RotaryCraft has a lot of blocks. I can't believe that it would actually be in any way difficult to implement the extractor as 4 machines - each with a single input and output - and while the resulting configuration might be boring - would nonetheless be less boring that all 4 stages in one box.

Which implies to me that balance IS the only reason the extractor bundled up. And, in terms of rotarycraft machines, the extractor seems to be the only one that requires the top tier power producers. Fully powered as a single box it requires 8 (or so) max height hydrokinetic generators. Is there any reason in rotary craft to produce and use jetfuel other than to run an extractor?

That said, the individual stages in an extractor can be run for a mere 176kW. And so no, if not the physics, then the engineering of the device does not make sense.

But, given that an extractor IS 4 stages, what engineer faced with 4 machines that consume 176kW, would box them up as a packaged unit with gearing that instead requires 4MW?

Other than yourself.

As Steve, the good engineer, it it my responsibility to to and be efficient. And the only thing standing in my way are the artificial limitations you are placing in my way to prevent me automating several extractors.

In the name of balance. not science.

fix it. please.

The rigor you approached this mod with is attractive to my OCD. The extractor does not fit.
Post #8.
http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic...raft-machines-power-automation/#entry20880447

And I am going to bed now.

Reactions: NegaNote

GreenZombie

Jul 29, 2019
I am not saying the ball stamper doesn't exist.

I am saying that the way you have modeled it, was done "for balance", and not for good engineering.

The fact is that two RoC extractors are more than an order of magnitude more power efficient than one.

Physicist

Jul 29, 2019
The fact is that two [half] RoC extractors are more than an order of magnitude more power efficient than one.
Yes, it's true. Please consider solving the problem presented, rather than asking for it to be changed. To help suspend your disbelief, consider that perhaps the dusty slushy muddy pre-completion states would stick in item pipes, clog fluid pipes, and the amount of steel in the extractor gives it such mass that it confuses AE's magic beam that converts matter to energy.

One can still power these paired stages and do it in full automation, but it appears that materials will have to flow through a single extractor to completion due to dusty/slushy/muddy/mass problems.

I'll be playing with CVTs, multi-directional-clutches, and gearboxes to see if I can use a single on/off redstone to swap between 1Nm*131072 rad/s and 512Nm*256rad/s. I'll put that on a vanilla redstone timer based on how long it takes to run something like 8 ores through the whole process.

The choice appears to be: Over-power it, or over-engineer it. I like the more efficient second choice.

GreenZombie

Jul 29, 2019
For some reason I dont understand, it matters to me when a mod developer proclaims "I cannot think magically", and then produces a magical device. Its not clinical OCD, but it is something. It grates.

Its very odd, and the only reason it does grate is that the mod is otherwise, so rigorous. I seriously love it - the ability to apply math to solving problems gives me goosebumps.

I am simply annoyed that I cannot engineer past it using some kind of item duct system. Using a timer to toggle between two different power settings seems to be ... what I will go for.

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
I am not saying the ball stamper doesn't exist.

I am saying that the way you have modeled it, was done "for balance", and not for good engineering.

The fact is that two RoC extractors are more than an order of magnitude more power efficient than one.
It was not done explicitly for balance reasons, but that is a nice side-effect. After all, even I must obey that to some degree or I will get pulled out of every pack. And the Extractor is probably the #1 most complained-about machine in terms of balance, usually by people who do not seem to understand that Minecraft is not played with "I want resources" as an end goal.

The fact is, the machine is one unit, and the Extractor takes after that.

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
You can keep inventory unification disabled, but crafting unification on. Crafting unification *only* unifies things that go specifically into a GT block with an inventory, like it's machines, metal crafting tables, and automation blocks. You could set a GT buffer flowing into ME storage that unifies only what you put into it (ores, gems that don't lose functionality, etc.).
I know, but I'm not having an issue with GT Unification switching them from AM2 to RotaryCraft, I disabled Inventory Unification ages ago, but now they are turning into it seemingly without GT Pulling the Strings, and that's why I was going to enable it again and force AM2's to be selected(and hopefully find a way to disable GT's DartCraft settings, such as it producing Force Ingots from Force Gems by smelting them, and hopefully outright disabling GT's Power Ore stuff).

DigitalWino

Jul 29, 2019
So I'm playing FtB Monster w Gregtech installed, and my mimichite is turning into mimichite gems. I know that you can just put them in to the crafting ui to turn them back into mimichite, but it then instantly turns back into mimichite gems. I'm guessing it has something to do with Gregtech's unification thing. Wouldn't be a big deal, except for the fact that I can't use the mimichite gems in place of normal mimichite. What's also really weird, is that it didn't do this in the beginning. At first it was fine, then they started changing. Same thing with HSLA Steel Ingots. At first they were fine, then one day they started changing... I was able to go in and fix that one, but I have yet to find out what setting to change where, to fix the mimichite one. Any help would be appreciated on this one.

DigitalWino

Jul 29, 2019
I assume it's in the Unification.cfg, but which line am I changing, and what do I change it to? There are 3 listings under mimicry and 2 under rotary craft.

Wagon153

Jul 29, 2019
Whoo boy that was a run around. I miss the days when gregtech had an option to either have unification on or off. Period. But, I found this:
Code:
   ####################
    # mimicry
    ####################

mimicry {
        B:gemMimichite_false=false
        B:oreMimichite_false=false
    }
And this:
Code:
B:gemMimichite_false=false

DigitalWino

Jul 29, 2019
Oh, thank you so much, that fixed it! The odd thing is that I had extra listings under both of them that were set to true. So I just deleted those lines and now it seems to be good. :)

Physicist

Jul 29, 2019
GT configs grow themselves when GT detects mods to add lines for. Also, every few version updates it's healthy to just clear the configs and let them regenerate freshly for you to re-tweak (to get rid of lines sometimes created by older versions that are now obsolete or moved).

Physicist

Jul 29, 2019
I'm running Rotarycraft 17 and Thaumcraft 4.1. I scanned a bedrock pickaxe and got 96 Perfodio research points.

Bug?

Also, Cave Crystals appear *really* often on snowy beach or gravel beach (possibly both, but it looked like the snowy beach was fully gravel), to the point that finding the one biome will guarantee collecting multiples of all the types of crystals. I suspect that is not intended.

Last edited:

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
I'm running Rotarycraft 17 and Thaumcraft 4.1. I scanned a bedrock pickaxe and got 96 Perfodio research points.
Bug?
No, I made them valuable.

Also, Cave Crystals appear *really* often on snowy beach or gravel beach (possibly both, but it looked like the snowy beach was fully gravel), to the point that finding the one biome will guarantee collecting multiples of all the types of crystals. I suspect that is not intended.
Is this some custom biome? I suspect it is tricking the generation into thinking it is a cave. Are large areas of stone/gravel exposed and below y=63?

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
RotaryFolks: Do any of these blocks in the rotary handbook function anything like a clutched shaft junction where the output torque is only split up if something is actually hooked into the second output?

What I'm picturing is, an always-running rotary system that is essentially overclocking everything its permanently hooked into (say, for instance, some fans and a sprinkler) and has enough extra juice that I can occassionally tap into it to plug in another machine, such as a grinder or obsidian factory.

Physicist

Jul 29, 2019
No, I made them valuable.
Ok. It really does seem disproportionately valuable, though. I'll never need to combine essences to make that aspect again.
Is this some custom biome? I suspect it is tricking the generation into thinking it is a cave. Are large areas of stone/gravel exposed and below y=63?
This biome is either from Highlands or Biomes O' Plenty. Alternate Terrain Generation may increase the total size of a single biome substantially, depending on how it interpretes the heightmap/coords before assigning biomes. This gravel beach generates as many hundreds of square-meters of gravel blocks at exactly sea level before a slight rise in terrain.

If you always intended your crystals to spawn [at or below] sea level, I suggest changing it to only [below], losing you only 1 block of the other 64(ish) possible elevations, unless you want to add code about seeing the sky, or not being in beach biomes, or whatever.

nefentari

Jul 29, 2019
Is there a limit to how many canola seeds I can plant in a specific area?
I'm using autonomous activators and it worked perfectly for my automated magic crops farm (I'm using golems) but there are less and less spots I can plant the canola seeds on - it just won't let me place them in the free spots. Golems, on the other hand, are able to replant them everywhere (most of the time). There's nothing above the farm, so I don't understand why it doesn't work. :(
1st screenshot: 1st planting
2nd screenshot: 4th time planting

Attachments

• 1sttime.png
    1sttime.png
    435.5 KB · Views: 100
  • 4thtime.png
    4thtime.png
    452.3 KB · Views: 96

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Is there a limit to how many canola seeds I can plant in a specific area?
I'm using autonomous activators and it worked perfectly for my automated magic crops farm (I'm using golems) but there are less and less spots I can plant the canola seeds on - it just won't let me place them in the free spots. Golems, on the other hand, are able to replant them everywhere (most of the time). There's nothing above the farm, so I don't understand why it doesn't work. :(
1st screenshot: 1st planting
2nd screenshot: 4th time planting
nefentari, the only thing I can think of is a block such as a wrath lamp spreading invisible blocks around. Are you using anything like that by any chance?

There's no reason I can think of that you should be prevented from planting things so long as the tile supports it (tilled farmland or fertilized soil, etc)

Morberis

Jul 29, 2019

Bug?

I thought that Azanor had limited the amount of aspects you could get from scanning one item to 10. Is that not so?