A moral dilemma - was I right or wrong

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
  • FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

PhilHibbs

Forum Addict
Trusted User
Jan 15, 2013
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Setting up a quarry means you now own a 64x64 area?
Yep. I don't see any unsolvable problems with that.
At what point is ownership formalized? Setting up the landmarks?
Yep.
Quarries are cheap as hell to be granting this sort of formal "ownership"
So set a limit of number of quarries per player.

Reactions: SpitefulFox

KirinDave

Jul 29, 2019

At what point is ownership formalized? Setting up the landmarks? When the frame is built? How long can I own land before digging it up? What if I "power" the quarry with a single redstone (or even stirling) engine? Every pass would take literal real life days. Can I tile hundreds of quarries and own it allllll?

What the players were actually doing was the problem. They were sitting on top of someone else's quarry as it was running. They would wait for it to expose ore, then mine it out. I'm reasonably certain this is unambiguously grief-y enough to be clearly defined as griefing.

It is not like someone was caving, or digging nearby, or any of the other things that could be accidental or if purposeful have limited impact. They were interfering with an actively running machine, making someone else waste power. If someone did this to your quarry while you were watching, would you be okay with it? You'd probably turn off the quarry at the very least.

That's griefing. All this talk about land ownership is 16-year-old chestbeating in a sandbox game and pretending that Lockean property rights can apply ever.

DoctorOr

Jul 29, 2019
What the players were actually doing was the problem. They were sitting on top of someone else's quarry as it was running. They would wait for it to expose ore, then mine it out. I'm reasonably certain this is unambiguously grief-y enough to be clearly defined as griefing.

A problem ameliorated by keeping the quarry to a reasonable size and powering it sufficiently. A single chunk quarry at full power simply moves too fast to even accomplish this, presuming they were already there waiting. A 16 chunk quarry will never be fast enough to stop it.

Reactions: Quesenek

Dackstrus

Jul 29, 2019
Me, Personally, I'd say this is a rather interesting way to not have to work for your ores... However, Me being me, II'd pick up my quarry, and leave a nuke or two for the next time they entered the shaft, Set up a few traps, Then move on.

Dick moves tend to get dick moves back.

On the other subject, As a server OP or somesuch, I would tell them to leave the area alone. Failure to do so would result in a boot to the head.

Bellaabzug21

Jul 29, 2019
Well that is quite the dick move, but considering that their houses were near the quarry, they have just as much claim to the ore as anyone else. So just talk to the players and tell them not to do it again. But if they give you some bull about how the rules "Don't specifically say anything against it." then ban them. They will be causing problems for you later.

dgdas9

Jul 29, 2019
Do you think that what they did was wright or wrong?

If you think it was correct, then it's OK, don't do anything.

If you don't think so, then it's easy, discuss with them, and if you think it was really bad, ban them.

You don't need the rule to be exact. You just need to aply the punishment OR not. Do you REALLY want that kind of people in your server?

Reactions: Flipz

SpitefulFox

Jul 29, 2019
That is a downright terrible thing to do. Yes, it's stealing. People who try to pull the "Airbud Clause" defense by claiming there's no specific rule against something are just jerks and should be punted off the server. Unless the server owner is a brain dead robot, he should have the sense to know that something like that violates the spirit of the rules and has full right as server owner to toss people out.

The people who did it can't make any claim that "they didn't know it wasn't okay". They clearly saw that it was someone else's quarry and chose to sabotage its operation for personal gain.

At what point is ownership formalized? Setting up the landmarks? When the frame is built? How long can I own land before digging it up? What if I "power" the quarry with a single redstone (or even stirling) engine? Every pass would take literal real life days. Can I tile hundreds of quarries and own it allllll?

What? You think just building a house gives you "ownership" of the land? Building blocks are just so cheap. There's no rule saying I can't just dig up your house and take it all home with me. There's a rule against "griefing," but what is griefing? Really?

Reactions: Flipz

DoctorOr

Jul 29, 2019
What? You think just building a house gives you "ownership" of the land?

IRL or in the game?

I do think even the simplest shack - in Minecraft - is more effort to build than a quarry and should come with commensurate protections.

SpitefulFox

Jul 29, 2019
IRL or in the game?

I do think even the simplest shack - in Minecraft - is more effort to build than a quarry and should come with commensurate protections.

So we just go and let anyone try and lay claim to land just cuz they dug up a little cobblestone?

DoctorOr

Jul 29, 2019
So we just go and let anyone try and lay claim to land just cuz they dug up a little cobblestone?

The surface, sure. Since landscape is itself a major reason for placing houses where they are.

This whole "I own everything for sixty blocks under my house" is kinda silly as well. I'd suggest anybody who felt that way to actually dig it up so it becomes a moot point.

SpitefulFox

Jul 29, 2019
The surface, sure. Since landscape is itself a major reason for placing houses where they are.

This whole "I own everything for sixty blocks under my house" is kinda silly as well. I'd suggest anybody who felt that way to actually dig it up so it becomes a moot point.

If I ever see you on a server, I'll be sure to set up my thaumic bore underneath your house, then.

zilvarwolf

Jul 29, 2019

Just out of curiosity, do you play on a server with limited area for building?

I mean, the world is effectively infinite. If someone finds a nice patch of dirt and makes a hovel to live in, what's wrong with accepting that and moving to a different area? (it's an honest question). If someone is making little cobble houses all around the world and not doing anything with them, you might have a discussion (and my response would be 'leave anything they've lit up alone and do what you want with the rest').

SpitefulFox

Jul 29, 2019
Just out of curiosity, do you play on a server with limited area for building?

I mean, the world is effectively infinite. If someone finds a nice patch of dirt and makes a hovel to live in, what's wrong with accepting that and moving to a different area? (it's an honest question). If someone is making little cobble houses all around the world and not doing anything with them, you might have a discussion (and my response would be 'leave anything they've lit up alone and do what you want with the rest').

Sorry, I was being sarcastic in response to his statement about how people with quarries don't have any right to claim land. I don't actually believe any of those things I said about land ownership, if you hadn't already guessed by my response to the original topic.

KirinDave

Jul 29, 2019
A problem ameliorated by keeping the quarry to a reasonable size and powering it sufficiently. A single chunk quarry at full power simply moves too fast to even accomplish this, presuming they were already there waiting. A 16 chunk quarry will never be fast enough to stop it.

This is not the issue at hand though. The issue is not, "Can someone do it?" but rather, "Should they." The problem is not that someone can.

Reactions: lolpierandom

DoctorOr

Jul 29, 2019
If I ever see you on a server, I'll be sure to set up my thaumic bore underneath your house, then.

Ok. I've actually already dug to bedrock there though. So I'm not sure what that will give you. Have Bores turned into MFR lasers?[DOUBLEPOST=1374780553][/DOUBLEPOST]
This is not the issue at hand though. The issue is not, "Can someone do it?" but rather, "Should they." The problem is not that someone can.

Should they run underpowered or excessively large quarries? I'd say no.

zilvarwolf

Jul 29, 2019
Sorry, I was being sarcastic in response to his statement about how people with quarries don't have any right to claim land. I don't actually believe any of those things I said about land ownership, if you hadn't already guessed by my response to the original topic.

My mistake. I failed to grasp the sarcasm. I blame it being Monday....DAMMIT...it's Thursday. I blame it FEELING like Monday. Again.