A Forum Game To Pass The Time! (Corrupt A Wish)

Someone Else 37

Forum Addict
Feb 10, 2013
Granted. Your hard drive decides o format itself before you get a chance to put it on Youtube.

I wish that my next wish would be granted.

Shakie666

Jul 29, 2019
Granted, but your next wish is "I wish that my previous wish won't be granted", creating a wish paradox that causes the universe to implode.

I wish there was somewhere outside the USA that does a good steak.

Someone Else 37

Forum Addict
Feb 10, 2013
Granted. You, however, don't live there.

Granted, but your next wish is "I wish that my previous wish won't be granted", creating a wish paradox that causes the universe to implode.
How did you know? :(

I wish for a Godel-Escher-Bach-style typeless wish.

Eruantien

Jul 29, 2019
Granted, but an unforeseen paradox occurs that causes it to be not granted, due to /dev/null reasons and whatnot.

I wish for my laptop battery to last longer so I can watch animez for longer at night.

null123

Mar 27, 2014
Granted, your laptop battery will physically endure untill the end of time. However, this means it will no longer be able to hold any charge whatsoever.

I wish for a wish.

Someone Else 37

Forum Addict
Feb 10, 2013
Granted. The wormhole leads to a point about five meters north of where you enter it.

I wish that all the wishes in this thread would be granted.

Shakie666

Jul 29, 2019
Goddammit, this is the second time I've been ninja'd and had to write out a whole new post :mad:

Granted, but there's so many different wishes they all mix together into a boring shade of brown.

I wish for this (the actual thing, not the picture):

41571970.jpg

Someone Else 37

Forum Addict
Feb 10, 2013
Granted. It tramples your house.

I wish that all the wishes in this thread that don't create paradoxes would be granted.

Shakie666

Jul 29, 2019
Granted, unfortunately the set of wishes that create paradoxes is not well-defined, since removing some of them for creating paradoxes leads to the creation of others when they are removed.

I wish I wasn't so indecisive (its why I had to write out my last post three times).

Shakie666

Jul 29, 2019
Granted, unfortunately its stuck outside the wall.

Since no-one's corrupted my last wish yet, I'll let them do that instead of think of another one.

(I think, I assume Eruantien's post was in response to Someone Else 37)

Eruantien

Jul 29, 2019
Granted, unfortunately its stuck outside the wall.

Since no-one's corrupted my last wish yet, I'll let them do that instead of think of another one.

(I think, I assume Eruantien's post was in response to Someone Else 37)
Actually, you ninja'd me. Just assume that the first part of my response is in response to you, and the second part was a note to someone else. Tally ho!

Shakie666

Jul 29, 2019
Oh, well in that case, I wish that someone would find a non-trivial zero of the riemann zeta function that doesn't have real part 1/2.

Someone Else 37

Forum Addict
Feb 10, 2013
Granted. I just divided by zero, so now all numbers, including 1/2 and all of the zeroes of all functions are equal to zero, and therefore each other.

I wish you all would look up Russell's Paradox, because my previous wish is (was intended to be, at least) an example of it. If it doesn't create a paradox, it would have to be granted, which is as paradoxical as "I wish this wish be granted". So then, since that's a paradox (sort of), the wish for granting non-paradoxical wishes would not cause itself to be granted- so now it's not a paradox.

Shakie666

Jul 29, 2019
Granted, but the wikipedia servers are overloaded as everyone tries to look up Russell's paradox simultaneously.

I wish someone would find the smallest number that cannot be described by a sentence in the english language containing fewer than twenty words.

(I find an alternate version, the barber paradox, to be easier to follow for the uninitiated than Russell's original. In a village somewhere there is a barber who shaves everyone who doesn't shave themselves, and no-one else. So who shaves the barber? It can't be himself since he only shaves people who don't shave themselves. But if someone else shaves him, then he doesn't shave himself... except we're told he shaves all such people, so he does shave himself).

Last edited:

Someone Else 37

Forum Addict
Feb 10, 2013
Your wish cannot be granted, as all possible contenders can be described as "that number is really big."

I wish American English used a more sensible way of naming large numbers than the million, billion, trillion = 10^6, 10^9, 10^12 system that it does.
(The British 10^6, 10^12, 10^18 is better, although Knuth's "name the power of two powers of ten" thing would be better still.)

(Also, it's hard to rephrase the barber's paradox in such a way that it deals with granting wishes. I tried.)

Shakie666

Jul 29, 2019
No, the whole point is that the number has to be defined explicitly in that sentence, no ambiguity allowed (not sure if you noticed, but its a reference to another paradox).

Someone Else 37

Forum Addict
Feb 10, 2013
One trillion, one hundred one billion, one hundred twenty-one million, one hundred twenty-one thousand, one hundred twenty-one. I think. Something like that. At least, if you count "twenty-one" as two separate words.

Or are you going to say "Ok, that number is A. Try again."?