A crazy idea...

Zenthon_127

Jul 29, 2019
I have never seen Magic Crops, even in huge quantities and boosted, outpace a full-power quarry or MFR drill without Time Torches. This would be even more true if they didn't create a second seed.

And believe me, it's not like I haven't seen people try.

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
Should be interesting to see how your pack and my pack differ.
I'll be honest, I don't know if I can actually make this concept work. For every problem I solve, two more raise their ugly heads. ExNhi doesn't really have any tiered system or any checks or balances on output and spammability. That makes it really difficult for me to create a balanced pack for people to play with, unless I start jacking up the cost on every dang thing.

Magical Crops is even worse because it is an innate geometric progression, so even though the initial output it lower, it automatically ramps up with no further resource drain on the player's part.

Oreberry Bushes seems like an interesting concept. I don't think anyone has yet used them as a primary ore generation technique. However, doing so means not having several key ores (ferrous, shiny), so a means to obtain them will still need to be provided.

I'm... not a fan of bees. And I'm extra-specially not a fan of Benny's Mods. It's just... not my play style. Forestry will be explicitly not included. MFR will be.

And I will be including Mekanism.

So there's going to be several major differences between your mod and whatever (if anything) comes of this line of postulating.

Mevansuto

Jul 29, 2019
I'll be honest, I don't know if I can actually make this concept work. For every problem I solve, two more raise their ugly heads. ExNhi doesn't really have any tiered system or any checks or balances on output and spammability. That makes it really difficult for me to create a balanced pack for people to play with, unless I start jacking up the cost on every dang thing.

Magical Crops is even worse because it is an innate geometric progression, so even though the initial output it lower, it automatically ramps up with no further resource drain on the player's part.

Oreberry Bushes seems like an interesting concept. I don't think anyone has yet used them as a primary ore generation technique. However, doing so means not having several key ores (ferrous, shiny), so a means to obtain them will still need to be provided.

I'm... not a fan of bees. And I'm extra-specially not a fan of Benny's Mods. It's just... not my play style. Forestry will be explicitly not included. MFR will be.

And I will be including Mekanism.

So there's going to be several major differences between your mod and whatever (if anything) comes of this line of postulating.

Who's Benny? :p

Last edited:

SynfulChaot

Jul 29, 2019

It doesn't have to have a geometric progression. You *can* disable the second seed entirely. Which is what I wholeheartedly recommend doing. Exponential expansion? Yeah. Too fast for my liking. But it's quite nice for renewables if you keep the second seed disabled entirely.

I wanted to try oreberry bushes in my next go, but take note that the most recent beta for Tinker's Construct converted all oreberries to essence berries. No more oreberries for now. >.<

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
Thing is with Magical Crops and Bees with your pack idea (no ore gen), where is the player going to get the resources to get started? You need a diamond, 4 of the "ore drops/ingots" (and various amounts of essence) to make your first seed. Bees need machines to process the bee materials.
With no ores in world gen (and assume no Ex Nilo), players are limited to dungeons, oreberries (boo, hiss for removing them TiC!) and mob drops. Dungeons will be the best bet (especially modded dungeons like Better Dungeons), but the player will be using Stone and Leather equipment, those dungeons will be difficult.

With magical crops, if you disable the essence ore being generated, players can only get essence from the plants, they are going to need a massive farm of them. But, when you automate Magical Crops with MFR, you don't get the secondary drops from the crops, which actually reduces your output of raw essence. It's better to manually harvest the essence plants (or build a water piston harvest system), and use MFR on the seeds you've made.

To be able to automate the player needs resources and energy generation they won't have. They will be manually farming and dungeon hunting for a long while before anything can be automated.

With Ex Nilo alone, I think the best possible balance is for non-automated sieving, producing only Copper/Tin/Iron (early game resources which exist as Ore Berries (which are the same as a magical crop 0% seed plant...)). Since I'm not aware of any other mod that can produce the other resources in any great useful number "early game", the remaining resources would have to remain as world gen which you harvest with materials from your sieving/ore berries.

Another idea, that is semi evil that I use, is to add SilverFish veins into the world generation, and using Father Toast Mob properties, have them have a chance at dropping random dusts. Players will be able to get some resources, and eventually in time, use MFR to mob spawn and grind them.

Gnomeo

Jul 29, 2019
So how many different ways are there to get ores that don't involve mining?
  1. Villager trading for emeralds, redstone dust, armor, and tools
  2. Iron Golems drop iron ingots
  3. Witches drop redstone and glowstone dust
  4. Zombies rarely drop iron ingots and equipment
  5. Zombie Pigmen drop gold nuggets and equipment
  6. Wither Skeletons drop coal
  7. Magical Crops (requires samples of each crop to make seeds)
  8. MFR mining laser
  9. TiCo Oreberries (or whatever the mod gets to replace them)
  10. There is a mod that causes Silverfish to drop silver nuggets (present in Resident Rise)
  11. Botania orechid
Worth noting:
  1. Thaumcraft can transmute metals into other types
  2. Dartcraft force wands can turn items into raw materials (some loss, not all mod items work)
  3. Twilight Forest has the uncrafting bench
  4. TiCo smeltery can melt down items (such as armor drops) into ingots or tool parts
edit 1: forgot Nether mobs and added the orechid
edit 2: expanded villager trades and added smeltery

Last edited:

Wekmor

Jul 29, 2019
  1. Villager trading for emeralds
  5. Magical Crops (requires samples of each crop to make seeds)
  6. MFR mining laser
  7. TiCo Oreberries (or whatever the mod gets to replace them)
  8. There is a mod that causes Silverfish to drop silver nuggets (present in Resident Rise)
Worth noting:
  2. Dartcraft force wands can turn items into raw materials (some loss, not all mod items work)

Zombie Pigmen drop gold ;)

Mevansuto

Jul 29, 2019
  1. Villager trading for emeralds
  5. Zombie Pigmen drop gold nuggets and equipment
  6. Wither Skeletons drop coal
  7. Magical Crops (requires samples of each crop to make seeds)
  8. MFR mining laser
  9. TiCo Oreberries (or whatever the mod gets to replace them)
  10. There is a mod that causes Silverfish to drop silver nuggets (present in Resident Rise)
  11. Botania orechid
Worth noting:
edit: forgot Nether mobs and added the orechid

Villagers trade armour you could melt in a smeltery.

buggirlexpres

Relatable Gamer
Trusted User
Retired Staff
Nov 24, 2012
she/her
twitter.com
There's actually a mod in beta by Father Toast that apparantly Allows you to completely customize mobs. Armor, held items, drops, you name it. I think you're able to customize everything. So there's an option for players to kill for ores. I don't really know much about it, but I think it would work.

Sent from my Genetic Lifeform and Disk Operating System using Tapatalk

Mevansuto

Jul 29, 2019
There's actually a mod in beta by Father Toast that apparantly Allows you to completely customize mobs. Armor, held items, drops, you name it. I think you're able to customize everything. So there's an option for players to kill for ores. I don't really know much about it, but I think it would work.

Sent from my Genetic Lifeform and Disk Operating System using Tapatalk

That would work quite well, but I feel that I'd like something else in addition to that.

psycicfrog

Jul 29, 2019
I am thinking of ideas for Crash landing 2 (Even if just for myself) Is there a way to make barrels only work if they are near a heat source