1.8 Snapshot - Underground Biomes in Vanilla

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
Do you know what has changed under the hood? I really do not at this moment in time. For all we know there could be another 200k+ lines of code changed when 1.8 is released with almost no new content. It still would be a major version update due to massive amount of code changed!
TBH, to most players, it doesn't matter what goes on under the hood. They can't see that. It could have been rewritten from scratch for all they know. What they can see a few new badly textured new stone types, a bouncy slime block and an even worse enchanting system.

bwillb

Jul 29, 2019
you'll have to drop that enchant on a stone sword and try another time with your diamond gear.
You don't have to use up that enchant, you just have to enchant *something*. So if you're also doing a set of armor, just toss a piece of that in there and then the sword enchant being offered will change.

Necr0maNceR

Jul 29, 2019
All in all, I actually do prefer the new enchanting system. Much more control, and a bit less xp cost. However, there is something to be said about enchanting being "free" like it was in the past. By "free" I mean only costing easy to acquire xp that is naturally acquired over time. Crafting an enchanting table was simply a key that unlocked the ability to use your xp. Now, you need to keep going out to acquire a somewhat rare resource in order to keep enchanting. Before you just stopped by the table every so often when you had a decent amount of xp. Lapis isn't that hard to get though, and when you do find it you can get lots of it.

Honestly, at first enchanting just seemed like a nice bonus to me. A little extra reward for fighting mobs and mining. However, everyone has come to rely on it so much, thus causing them to get upset with how random it is. I'll admit, it's hard to imagine getting by without Fortune.

Reactions: utterablehawk675

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
I was thinking that perhaps a better way for the enchanting was to leave it as default, with a random chance. But if you feed it one piece of lapis, it actually tells you what the lowest level enchant is. Feed it another, you are told the 2nd, and finally a 3rd piece, tells you the 3rd enchant.
If you don't like those enchants, take the item out (the lapis is consumed), put it back in, get your next 3 random enchants, spend lapis to be told what the enchant is.

It's still a lottery on the enchants, but by spending lapis, you can save XP & wasting enchants.

WTFFFS

Jul 29, 2019
I'm kinda hoping the modded scene stays on 1.6.4 for a while longer I can't really see any of the current vanilla content being "oh must have" and the mods themselves are getting a level of polish that hasn't been seen iirc since 1.2.5.

Heh just realised something afaik any mod thread on the MCF forums that is 2 versions out of date is closed....currently that is almost all mods.

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013
And in our case, a countdown leading up to when we need to abandon our worlds again.

You never "need" to abandon worlds... You'll be able to keep playing your favorite base MC version even after 1.8 is released. I currently have vanilla worlds using 3 different base versions... I just edit my profiles as needed.

trajano080

Jul 29, 2019
And in our case, a countdown leading up to when we need to abandon our worlds again.
You never "need" to abandon worlds... You'll be able to keep playing your favorite base MC version even after 1.8 is released. I currently have vanilla worlds using 3 different base versions... I just edit my profiles as needed.

Actually you can play on the newest version and you can STILL keep your world. You will just have the new terrain gen in chunks that you haven't explored yet.

Bomb Bloke

Jul 29, 2019
"Our case" as in "modded MineCraft users case".

Yes, I'm aware that we don't "have" to upgrade (unless we want bug fixes for whatever the current world-crashers are). But unless you play vanilla, upgrading is hardly so easy.

Esheon

Jul 29, 2019
1.8 just made moving to 1.7 a better idea than waiting for 1.8. And that's saying something. I can't help but laugh at the vanilla people who actually think this is a real update.

And before you say "oh, but there's a lot of code changes" or "but this is only the first snapshot, they'll add more stuff": bad and no. Minecraft updates have been worthless (the entirety of 1.7 was a lame combo of ATG, BoP and Mariculture, without any of the good things those mods offer, and horses do not qualify as "significant content") for 2 versions now, and internal code just makes it even harder to update for the mod devs they claim to support. Hell, this snapshot included a feature that was made FOR ONE SPECIFIC ADVENTURE MAP. That's PATHETIC.[/rant]

I gave up hope in Mojang's current team to produce interesting content after 1.7. If they can surprise me, great. I also expect enchantable flying pigs.

I have to disagree with your opinion of the 1.7 updates, at least the biome and terrain generation bits.

I prefer the 1.7 "world update" stuff over BoP, though I can't really decide if that's because it's actually better, or because BoP is still using the old worldgen. I do like the biomes they introduced (especially the roofed forest), but I think that the 1.7 update for BoP will be very interesting, as they'll be able to use the vanilla code changes for biome placement and climate to help arrange the BoP biomes. One of the most annoying things I've dealt with in Minecraft has been nonsensical biome placement (desert next to taiga, ice plains next to jungle, etc), and that's (mostly) fixed in 1.7. It's worth it to me just for that.

As for ATG, I'm internally split over ATG's worldgen. One the one hand, I love it... it looks realistic, biome placement makes sense, you have actual continents, etc. As a "surface builder", it's a dream come true, and it's better than 1.7. On the other hand, every ATG world I've created so far (and I've done quite a few in creative just to fly around and check out the terrain) has had "underground issues". Caves tend to be shallow, or to just loop around and come back out on the same mountainside.

It's been difficult to find a big cave that goes all the way to diamond level, and I've really only found significant "low-altitude" resources by digging down. Maybe that's just bad luck on my part, but I've tried on several worlds now and had little luck. I even did a creative world where I put down a few max-size quarries and rode them down looking for caves... I found caves, but most of them were self-contained units and very few went from the surface to y=16. Of course, now that I've said that I'll go home, fire up TW2, and drop into a new world right in front of a cave that goes straight to bedrock and then meanders for miles.

As for the 1.8 stuff that I've seen, the new stone textures are ugly and the blocks made with them are ugly... BUT the texture pack guys will fix that in a hurry. Because I never play with default textures, I hope they start out with brick, slab and stair versions of these blocks. (Of course, I've wanted smooth stone stairs since the frickin' game launched.) The guys with Soartex Fanver will make them look good. I actually like the default slime block texture, and I like that you can put a carpet on top of it and still get the bounce effect.

I haven't had much of a chance to play with the enchanting or trading changes. As it stands right now I always have either TiCo or Enchanting Plus installed anyway. I've never done much with villagers, either... though docm77's villager trading system has gotten me moderately interested.

Reactions: utterablehawk675

Physicist

Jul 29, 2019
It's not balanced yet, and I suspect the ugly stone textures aren't final. I'm sure 1.8 won't be as bad as all that.

Zenthon_127

Jul 29, 2019
It's not balanced yet, and I suspect the ugly stone textures aren't final. I'm sure 1.8 won't be as bad as all that.
It's not that it will necessarily be bad per say, it's just that it'll be another useless update, with maybe one or two good things, a bunch of meh or just worthless things and at least one absolutely godawful thing. I mean, look at 1.6 and 1.7 compared to a good update like 1.5:
+HOPPERS
+Great new aesthetic block series (Nether Quartz)
+Better inventory management (even spreading, etc.)
=New texture system (animations, but also way more lag)
=Skeleton buff (it was overkill, but they're still not TOO powerful)
=Nether Bricks without Nether Fortresses
=Random redstone logic stuff
=Daylight sensor....and no inverted lamps -_-
=Bug fixes
=Better death messages

+New aesthetic blocks (Hardened Clay and Carpets)
+More compaction blocks
=Horses/Donkeys/Mules
=Nerf to Golden Apples
=Random pet crap
=Random adventure map crap
=Hunger now drains for healing (and meanwhile, baked potatos give no craps)
-Zombies now defy logic with spawning and choke out all other mobs (GAAAAAAAH)

+A better version of ATG
+Sound setting improved, so we can finally mute those stupid spiders
=Achievements actually work
=Bunch of new biomes, half of which look like crap
=Slider options
=Fishing enchants >.>
=New fish <.<
=Crapton of new flowers, recolored sand and poop dirt
=Random adventure map crap
-Huge amounts of code changed, breaking every mod ever......AND IT DIDN'T DO CRAP (on a gameplay end, at least)
So basically in my eyes a good update is when we have a few really awesome things and nothing blatantly horrible. This is all my opinion obviously, but really we can still predict pretty well what 1.8 will be: A few "Ok, this is nice" level additions (like the Slime Block), a bunch of crap that almost never gets used (the three new types of stone: Ugly, Uglier and MY EYES IT BURNS), some random adventure map crap and some nerfs ranging from pointless to "How did you not think of ANYTHING better than this?" (only a few things fall into this category, but the new enchanting system is probably one of them). I mean, it'll be great if they announce something completely awesome like the Hopper or 1.5's Inventory Management, but it's been a while since something like that has happened and I'm starting to lose faith that they're going to produce that kind of content any time soon.

Reactions: RedBoss and immibis

portablejim

Jul 29, 2019
They also included the ability to modify NBT data using a command (like using command blocks make a chest appear with items in it), along with some block protection (yes you need to do it via command, but there will probably be a proper interface come final release)

immibis

Jul 29, 2019
-Huge amounts of code changed, breaking every mod ever......AND IT DIDN'T DO CRAP (on a gameplay end, at least)
Basically true, but it does allow Forge (not vanilla) to manage block IDs for us. They're not gone, but Forge manages them so that users don't need to think about them. Modders probably don't either.