1.8 Snapshot - Underground Biomes in Vanilla

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

RedBoss

Jul 29, 2019
The title is slightly troll-like but there are new stone blocks.

Enchanting requires lapis now, I wonder what mod has been doing that for a while? I must say that I hate the new enchanting mechanic. You basically get a preview of 1 part of your enchantment, but your stuck with it. The only way to cycle through enchants is to spend your levels on a trash item. So if you want to enchant a diamond sword and get Bane 4 in the preview, you'll have to drop that enchant on a stone sword and try another time with your diamond gear. That's worse than being completely random because now you KNOW you're getting screwed.

Anvil repair costs are drastically lowered. To repair something hat used to cost over 30 levels now costs single digit levels.

Villager trading has changed. Lots of subclasses. But they're buying rotten flesh and selling lapis.

Stuff that mod users are used to are set to be in vanilla like doors stacking and craftable moss bricks. It looks neat and all but I'm iffy on the enchanting. I also think the new stone blocks are hideous. Vanilla players are already limited inventory wise. They'll feel the pain of Underground Biomes users even more so.

Check the vid if you're so inclined.

Celestialphoenix

Too Much Free Time
Nov 9, 2012
Tartarus.. I mean at work. Same thing really.
This is why Mojang need to hire a professional DESIGNER to handle the game DESIGN. An API expert is NOT a designer.

New enchanting is poorly thought out and badly designed.
Preview and having everything numbered like that kills all the magic of enchanting.
(Need to test) does breaking and replacing the table reset the enchant?
Also what happens if it says arthro 4 for a sword, so you put in a stone shovel?
Exp levels are a lot harder to gain- so anvil cost isn't drastically different.
It does mean dying has some real consequence instead of being a slightly irritating gimmick. Though given how cheap exp is its no real matter
(the whole anvil/enchant system has been so watered down anyway- theres very little gameplay left in it)
Flesh for lapis? Its not a trade when its basically theft.
Shows weak design and a lack of confidence- making it stupidly powerful so people like it.
New stone?
So what? 10 minutes of code and a new 16x16 texture- is this even worth a mention?
Not to mention changing worldgen again. Feel free to trash everyones world again why not?​

Door stacking? stacks of 1 didnt make much sense, but changed recipe (yeah - wood is SO hard to get)

*Sigh*- I miss Notch.

Makin911

Jul 29, 2019
This is why Mojang need to hire a professional DESIGNER to handle the game DESIGN. An API expert is NOT a designer.

New enchanting is poorly thought out and badly designed.
Preview and having everything numbered like that kills all the magic of enchanting.
(Need to test) does breaking and replacing the table reset the enchant?
Also what happens if it says arthro 4 for a sword, so you put in a stone shovel?
Exp levels are a lot harder to gain- so anvil cost isn't drastically different.
It does mean dying has some real consequence instead of being a slightly irritating gimmick. Though given how cheap exp is its no real matter
(the whole anvil/enchant system has been so watered down anyway- theres very little gameplay left in it)
Flesh for lapis? Its not a trade when its basically theft.
Shows weak design and a lack of confidence- making it stupidly powerful so people like it.
New stone?
So what? 10 minutes of code and a new 16x16 texture- is this even worth a mention?
Not to mention changing worldgen again. Feel free to trash everyones world again why not?​

Door stacking? stacks of 1 didnt make much sense, but changed recipe (yeah - wood is SO hard to get)

*Sigh*- I miss Notch.
Ur a bright of sunshine today.

But kinda agree:)

RedBoss

Jul 29, 2019
One thing that this snapshot does for me is not feel any need for mods to update quickly. 1.6's mod selection is interesting and I haven't explored everything just yet even after having most of the mods at my access for a few months. The big vanilla content that I liked is already in 1.6, ie hardened clay. 1.7 has new biomes and wood... We've got tons of that stuff with the mods. 1.8 has screwy enchanting. I'll stick with LiquidXP or some Thaumcraft based enchanting.

All in all I know the devs are working on 1.7 but barring massive mod content changes, I'm ok with using 1.6 for an even more extended period of time.

eric167

Jul 29, 2019
lol are they even trying anymore? the textures are hideous, the pavers are ripped straight from the mod scene, the enchanting system is bollocks, villager trading has always been bollocks...

not interested.

when mods have already done nearly everything, its to be expected the vanilla game will reach a point where many things they add come from the mods.

enchanting looks ok to me, lapis really isn't used elsewhere.
i do want some level of control when it comes to enchanting though.
for example, let me specify enchants, like bane, i don't want and enchants i do want, like sharpness, then pay, say gold or diamond to decrease the chances of getting those, and increase ones i do want.
random system screws me over too much.
if you get a bad enchant on a diamond piece you have to either discard, wasting the diamonds, or force yourself to use it so repairing will remove the enchants so you can try again.

i see this as a step in that direction, but its too hard to get rid of un-wanted enchants, and its still very random.

the new blocks should be able to be used as cobble in crafting.
theyre almost too common for just deco blocks. will break up the monotony of pure cobble though, and the polished versions look decent, the white one could use fewer grey/black specks, and be toned down to a light grey.

like the slime blocks.

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
Yawn

This is classed as a major version update? Seems more like 1.7.5

Lathanael

Jul 29, 2019
Yawn

This is classed as a major version update? Seems more like 1.7.5
Do you know what has changed under the hood? I really do not at this moment in time. For all we know there could be another 200k+ lines of code changed when 1.8 is released with almost no new content. It still would be a major version update due to massive amount of code changed!

Reactions: ThatOneSlowking

SatanicSanta

Jul 29, 2019
Do you know what has changed under the hood? I really do not at this moment in time. For all we know there could be another 200k+ lines of code changed when 1.8 is released with almost no new content. It still would be a major version update due to massive amount of code changed!
And then we get to wait another 6 months for mods.

Like everyone has been saying, I'll be sticking to 1.6.4 for a while, seeing as the 1.7 update was drastic and broke so many mods, some devs are discontinuing development.

PierceSG

Jul 29, 2019
1.6 is fine for me at the moment and is the mod API partially out so IDs are no longer an issue? I do not mind waiting till 1.8 for the modders to start developing for it slowly.

Reactions: RedBoss

ThatOneSlowking

Jul 29, 2019
1.6 is fine for me at the moment and is the mod API partially out so IDs are no longer an issue? I do not mind waiting till 1.8 for the modders to start developing for it slowly.
Legacy support man
Legacy support
Im excited for 1.8 since legacy spport wont be needed as much and we might not have itemIDs!
Since 1.7 has legacy support...
Oh well.
Hopefully 1.8 doesnt have the legacy support for ItemIDs and BlockIDs

Zenthon_127

Jul 29, 2019
1.8 just made moving to 1.7 a better idea than waiting for 1.8. And that's saying something. I can't help but laugh at the vanilla people who actually think this is a real update.

And before you say "oh, but there's a lot of code changes" or "but this is only the first snapshot, they'll add more stuff": bad and no. Minecraft updates have been worthless (the entirety of 1.7 was a lame combo of ATG, BoP and Mariculture, without any of the good things those mods offer, and horses do not qualify as "significant content") for 2 versions now, and internal code just makes it even harder to update for the mod devs they claim to support. Hell, this snapshot included a feature that was made FOR ONE SPECIFIC ADVENTURE MAP. That's PATHETIC.[/rant]

I gave up hope in Mojang's current team to produce interesting content after 1.7. If they can surprise me, great. I also expect enchantable flying pigs.

ThatOneSlowking

Jul 29, 2019
1.8 just made moving to 1.7 a better idea than waiting for 1.8. And that's saying something. I can't help but laugh at the vanilla people who actually think this is a real update.

And before you say "oh, but there's a lot of code changes" or "but this is only the first snapshot, they'll add more stuff": bad and no. Minecraft updates have been worthless (the entirety of 1.7 was a lame combo of ATG, BoP and Mariculture, without any of the good things those mods offer, and horses do not qualify as "significant content") for 2 versions now, and internal code just makes it even harder to update for the mod devs they claim to support. Hell, this snapshot included a feature that was made FOR ONE SPECIFIC ADVENTURE MAP. That's PATHETIC.[/rant]

I gave up hope in Mojang's current team to produce interesting content after 1.7. If they can surprise me, great. I also expect enchantable flying pigs.
what was the adventure map feature?

SatanicSanta

Jul 29, 2019
what was the adventure map feature?
Dinnerbone said:
Big Adventure Map changes:

• Adventure Mode no longer lets you place/destroy blocks.
  • But that can change!
  • Added Entity Selectors! Use @e in certain commands to target entities. You can limit it with [type=Chicken] or [type=!Skeleton]
  • Added a /blockdata command!
  • Added ‘Lock’ (String) NBT tag on most containers.
  • Added an optional entity parameter to /kill (try: /kill @e[type=!Player]
  • Added optional arguments to /clear for max item count (use 0 to not actually delete anything) & NBT data
  • Lots of other tweaks, changes, bug fixes and secret features!