[1.7.10 | Unlisted] Obscurity - Jampacked 2 Winner

Snowfyre

Jul 29, 2019
dont forget some of the quest rewards or even quests themselves dont make sense
i just completed the one where you make all those molds from TiC and you get 2 blocks of aluminum brass, which is pretty much only used to make said molds, into the void they go
another quest where you get those automated miners/choppers and such one quest has you get two hundred something cobblestone and logs, logs i got easy but cobblestone i had to mine by hand, untill i discovered the block breaker from open blocks, as the machine that is related to that chain of quests doesnt mine cobblestone, it uses cobblestone to fill the holes it makes

Reactions: SnowShock35

Conansson

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah i was annoyed by that Aluminum as well. You can get Cobble easily through the next Quest, which makes you make a ExU Cobble Gen. I don't particulary like the Quest rewards, the Crap ones occur a little bit too often. It's a little frustrating to work for an hour on a Quest just to open the bag and get Crap piece of Cobble. I'm halfway through the map and got almost 2 Stacks of TNT from Quest rewards alone...

JohnnyMobbins

Jul 29, 2019
Hey, just wanted to talk a little about your Quest balance. Your pack is great, don't understand me wrong. I spent days in it already and it still is amazing. One thing that bugs me is that some Questlines require an insane amount of Grinding, but the next in line is super easy. I'm specifically talking about the 6 Vibrant Capacitor Cells. This also happens in some others, like the Tower Defense or Forge lines. You make some basic Machines, which take like half a stack of ressources, and the next one is to make 6 Vibrant Capacitors. 6. That's like 2-3 Stacks of Iron, Redstone and a lot of Emeralds etc.. But the worst is GLOWSTONE. I know there is a way to create it, but before that, you need Sulfur for Pyrotheum, which needs Blaze Rods, which need a Spawner or Nether Gate, and the hole automation around it takes ressources and power as well. I was stuck at that Quest for more than a week, getting up a Vat Power, an ender Quarry and was almost near giving up, if i wouldn't have found the Villager selling Glowstone. The next Receiver thing was doable. Then the next quests, i unlocked like half of those automatically just for creating the Vibrant Cells. Like build 1 Inscriber. That's 5 Iron. It's just not comparable. I don't know if you care about that, but it really inflicts balance, and a little bit the fun of Questbased Maps, to actually finsih Quests. I would suggest to downgrade to the next lower Tier Capacitors. In the Tower Defense, it is like "Hey, you managed to get 5 Sugar Cane for Punji Sticks. Now... make a Interdiction Torch." Kinda unbalanced.

Thanks for the feedback mate, much appreciated.
The quests certainly need a bit of work and I'm working on a fairly major quest redo for a future update. Great input like yours really helps. I'll do my best to explain my thoughts on the quests.

The quest progression is a little tricky in some ways due to the Resource Cubes. Depending on if you find the cubes fast or take your time really effects your experience with the quest progression. I intended the player to get stuck in certain sections and be forced to go out and find the cubes needed for that material etc. You can with a few tricky moves get to the cubes very early if you so choose. That would make certain things seem very out of order but I'm very happy for people to play that way. It is very hard for me to get perfect progression when the player experiences can be so vastly different.

There is an issue (fixed in next update) from a quest perspective and that is the recipe bug - Glowing Water requiring Glowstone instead of Luminite. You are meant to have much easier access to Glowing water which is very relevant for the Reliquary stuff. If you had made it to the Nether Cube it is a fairly cheap recipe. You were not meant to require Glowstone so early, sorry :(

Glowstone is essentially the best "Resource" of this pack and should be treasured, Nothing is more valuable to you the player. With light being a major theme in the pack you are intended to work very hard to get it. It will never be easy to get.

The Capacitor Bank quest is a mistake on my end and will be fixed in the next update. Sorry about that.

Thanks again mate. Love hearing the feedback and i hope i can make the changes to make it better for you guys.

JohnnyMobbins

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah i was annoyed by that Aluminum as well. You can get Cobble easily through the next Quest, which makes you make a ExU Cobble Gen. I don't particulary like the Quest rewards, the Crap ones occur a little bit too often. It's a little frustrating to work for an hour on a Quest just to open the bag and get Crap piece of Cobble. I'm halfway through the map and got almost 2 Stacks of TNT from Quest rewards alone...

The Cobble Gen quest has been moved much further forward. That was much too far down that progression tree. Fixed in next version

Quest Bags need a lot of work. Unfortunately the method for creating them is pretty painful so i just need to get in there make a ton more. I know the ratio is off at the moment and it will be fixed in upcoming versions. Sorry for all the crap ones :p

Conansson

Jul 29, 2019
Thanks for that answer ! I understood that Glowstone is the most lategame you get, and like this idea! My critique was then, that the make 6 Vibrant Cells Quest is not like one of the Final Automation lines but in the first few Industrial Evolution Lines, before you get a QED or AE2. I would be totally fine with it being like Hey, you finished making a Big Reactor. Now you make some Capacitors to store all the energy you get. I found that the ressource cubes had little effect (except that Nether One and AE2), one of the first things i made when getting water was a Squid Spawner. The Villagers were nice, too. I played your pack like i hought it was intended, a little base on the surface, with Cubes automating all stuff. I rushed to Hyperenergetic Nitor then and explored the world.

I especially like that you did not add MFR, now Automation gets interesting again!

Regarding Quest Rewards, i could offer you helping. I have knowledge with HQM and am creating a little project myself to learn my friends AE2. So if you need a Quest writer/Guy who does the Quest rewards, it would be a honor for me to take part at the Jampacked 2 winner. Keep up the good work !

Edit: I just found out that the recipe to turn Empty Casings into gold nuggets is disabled. Intended?

Last edited:

SnowShock35

FTB Pack Developer
Feb 27, 2014
United Kingdom
snowshock35.com
Quest Bags need a lot of work. Unfortunately the method for creating them is pretty painful so i just need to get in there make a ton more. I know the ratio is off at the moment and it will be fixed in upcoming versions. Sorry for all the crap ones :p
We might change it so that we use a different mod for reward bags so they can be edited outside of the game to make it easier but that will be further down the line anyways.

JohnnyMobbins

Jul 29, 2019
Thanks for that answer ! I understood that Glowstone is the most lategame you get, and like this idea! My critique was then, that the make 6 Vibrant Cells Quest is not like one of the Final Automation lines but in the first few Industrial Evolution Lines, before you get a QED or AE2. I would be totally fine with it being like Hey, you finished making a Big Reactor. Now you make some Capacitors to store all the energy you get. I found that the ressource cubes had little effect (except that Nether One and AE2), one of the first things i made when getting water was a Squid Spawner. The Villagers were nice, too. I played your pack like i hought it was intended, a little base on the surface, with Cubes automating all stuff. I rushed to Hyperenergetic Nitor then and explored the world.

I especially like that you did not add MFR, now Automation gets interesting again!

Regarding Quest Rewards, i could offer you helping. I have knowledge with HQM and am creating a little project myself to learn my friends AE2. So if you need a Quest writer/Guy who does the Quest rewards, it would be a honor for me to take part at the Jampacked 2 winner. Keep up the good work !

Edit: I just found out that the recipe to turn Empty Casings into gold nuggets is disabled. Intended?
I'd be more than happy to add some suggestions for reward bags. Feel free to send me a list, spreadsheet, whatever and I'll add all the ones I like in.

Zyin

Jul 29, 2019
If anyone is planning on using the culinary generator then don't use a the Ender IO crafter with a juicer in it. It will cause your world to freeze/crash and become unplayable. Use the Progressive Automation crafter instead.

AKTheKnight

Forum Moderator
Team Member
Forum Moderator
Jul 29, 2019
If anyone is planning on using the culinary generator then don't use a the Ender IO crafter with a juicer in it. It will cause your world to freeze/crash and become unplayable. Use the Progressive Automation crafter instead.

Thanks for the heads up, We will look at a way to prevent this happening in the pack

da2loo

Jul 29, 2019
How can Sanitizing Soap and Arcane Spa research be unlocked since warp is disabled in this pack? These are the only two i have remaining to unlock KAMI.

Zzyzzyzzx

Jul 29, 2019
I was looking like a man man though this thread, how do you actually use "nether gate" I can not seem to find anything on it (sorry if its simple i am new to modded)

SnowShock35

FTB Pack Developer
Feb 27, 2014
United Kingdom
snowshock35.com
How can Sanitizing Soap and Arcane Spa research be unlocked since warp is disabled in this pack? These are the only two i have remaining to unlock KAMI.
Yeah sorry about this, the whole thaumcraft quest line is a little bugged still. 1.2.0 and on wards will fix this when it's out for now I recommended either avoiding it or spawning it, again sorry.
I was looking like a man man though this thread, how do you actually use "nether gate" I can not seem to find anything on it (sorry if its simple i am new to modded)
The nether gate, once crafted with the mini portal is used as a crafting component to craft nether items. Hover over it and press 'u' and you'll bring up all the recipes ;)

Reactions: JohnnyMobbins