[1.7.10] TolkienCraft II - Adventure Awaits! - v2.9.5[QUESTS][ADVENTURE][NORMAL MODE]

GreatOrator

Jul 29, 2019
dang it! forgot to edit the configs...son of a biscuit...le sigh...For servers, just change the HQM edit config to false, and for clients, the same....as for the custom npc's, sent you a pm regarding that one, the alternative is the older version of customNPC's but that means people crashing...If it becomes too much of a problem (worse case for CustomNPC's is a quest reset) for players to edit the config I will try to push another update with just that fix.

Reactions: Vals NoisyToys

Goshen

Jul 29, 2019
Here are some notes about updating your server/client and file locations.

Minecraft comes alive stores their (usernames not UUID...) playerfiles in the CONFIG folder not the world folder. so make sure to copy that data out of the old config folder into the new one.
Custom NPCs stores the quests data in the world/customnpcs/players folder, make sure to copy this over as well.
lotr stores all data in one large binary file(ugg) in the world folder so if it gets corrupted at all, then all players loose their achievements and alignment and all lotr data( yes this happened) Note to author- please split it out into user specific files.
HQM as well stores all data in one large binary file so suffers from the same issues. Stored in the world/Hardcorequesting folder.

GreatOrator

Jul 29, 2019
Sorry guys, Trying to juggle two totally different versions of the pack took it's toll. In the rush to fix the crash issues you guys have been having, I forgot to edit the pack configs like I usually do.

Give me a couple of days to get some proper updates together so I can fix the issues with the configs...as for customNPC's not much I can do going forward on that and actually intend to announce that players moving to the content update will be best served starting over because of the enormous changes to not only the map, but in the mods themselves overall

wrongcoder

Jul 29, 2019
On Ranger's server, I've been waiting for Reder to respawn for almost five hours now, personally chunk-loading the area by waiting on top of the temple for the last three. I guess he's broken. Could someone please fix him? or is everyone stuck until the next map update?

GreatOrator

Jul 29, 2019
If noone fixes it beforehand, I will do so when I get home from work. I really need to find out why on a server they are not responding like they are supposed to...maybe I should just lower the respawn rate. I had it up at an hour because I felt that was reasonable, but seeing it in practice, 15-20 minutes may be sufficient.

Mikhaila666

Jul 29, 2019
If you are on a server, make sure the admin has command blocks turned on. otherwise should be working in single player

Thanks much. I'm building Bree on Goshens server. But have some friends in NZ, and talked a lot about the pack over mumble, and they are setting up a NZ server for Tolkiencraft. Sadly, my ping is a bit high connecting from Philly to NZ :) Hopefully getting the roof on the Bree gatehouse done tonite and moving on to building the Pony.

Realy enjoying the pack. I read the LOTR about 40 years ago, and have read the trilogy about 20 times since, and currently reading the Hobbit for the 41st time. My son is reading the Hobbit to his eight year old sisters. Much LOTR talk in the house at the moment.

GreatOrator

Jul 29, 2019
Thanks much. I'm building Bree on Goshens server. But have some friends in NZ, and talked a lot about the pack over mumble, and they are setting up a NZ server for Tolkiencraft. Sadly, my ping is a bit high connecting from Philly to NZ :) Hopefully getting the roof on the Bree gatehouse done tonite and moving on to building the Pony.

Realy enjoying the pack. I read the LOTR about 40 years ago, and have read the trilogy about 20 times since, and currently reading the Hobbit for the 41st time. My son is reading the Hobbit to his eight year old sisters. Much LOTR talk in the house at the moment.
That's awesome! Tolkiens books have always been my absolute favorite series! Glad you are enjoying the pack so much! Would love to see some of your work on bree (would also love maybe some hobbity towns to add to the pack as well :) )

BerryRJ

Jul 29, 2019

As a heads up, beta22 of the LotR mod adds roads as part of worldgen. You can update just that mod on your own and it will be fine. You might want to do that to see what happens to your Bree. as when the pack updates to that version it might screw up your build. ;(

wrongcoder

Jul 29, 2019
Someone told me (maybe Val?) that chunkloading CustomNpcs NPCs causes increasing lag over time as a server is kept running. That doesn't sound right. The NPCs that are chunkloaded seem to respawn properly while the ones that aren't seem to stay dead for ever. Maybe they only respawn if the chunk they're in is loaded when the timer expires, who knows. No idea if this lag effect has been confirmed but it seems like a pretty good tradeoff if the server has to restart regularly anyway. I don't think JVM applications need to restart, ever, if they're properly tuned, but I only work on large applications. It's pretty cool when you have to think about whether logging disk requests can be a bottleneck because everything else is running so fast!

Last edited:

Vals NoisyToys

Jul 29, 2019
Someone told me (maybe Val?) that chunkloading CustomNpcs NPCs causes increasing lag over time as a server is kept running. That doesn't sound right. The NPCs that are chunkloaded seem to respawn properly while the ones that aren't seem to stay dead for ever. Maybe they only respawn if the chunk they're in is loaded when the timer expires, who knows. No idea if this lag effect has been confirmed but it seems like a pretty good tradeoff if the server has to restart regularly anyway. I don't think JVM applications need to restart, ever, if they're properly tuned, but I only work on large applications. It's pretty cool when you have to think about whether logging disk requests can be a bottleneck because everything else is running so fast!

Yes it was me that mentioned that issue. Unfortunately the lag is significant after just a couple of hours on the server. Keeping chunk loaders there is just not feasible unless whatever issue it is that's causing the (I assume) memory leak is fixed or at least greatly reduced in its impact. I tried this around 6 weeks ago on the server, fyi.

ETA: Also, I've been told Minecraft* is a known memory-leak mess. Which is why I reboot my computer before every afternoon stream on the recommendation of GreatOrator. So properly tuned (and written) java may not have memory leaks, but.... *cough* :p

* modded Minecraft, anyways. I don't know if vanilla is as big a culprit or not, or if it is in fact Java 7 itself. All I know is that I have more issues (slower rendering, framedrops, lag spikes, etc) the longer I let Minecraft run on my computer (even full restarts of the game don't help btw), and daily reboots avoids those issues. I'd be surprised if the server version of Minecraft magically avoids these issues that afflict the client.

Last edited: