[1.7.10] TolkienCraft II - Adventure Awaits! - v2.9.5[QUESTS][ADVENTURE][NORMAL MODE]

Israel Rodriguez

Jul 29, 2019
I still can not get TolkienCraft to work on my Mac. I have downloaded from the curse server and everything. Here is my paste bin. http://pastebin.com/JRw20XtF I would very much appreciate some help. Merry Christmas.

I'm hoping someone can help me with this. I've changed servers, used many different versions of java, I've tried look around a lot. Please help.

NJM1564

Jul 29, 2019
With consideration for the fallowing update I would like to suggest adding the Colored Light mod.
Botania r1.3-147 & r1.3-148 (by Vazkii)
r1.3-148
  • I could have fit this on 147 but I only decided to do it later :V

• Added support for Colored Lights. (
    7c34ca4d3d.png
    ) (
    323db4f589.png
    ) You can find it in the following blocks:
    • Glimmering Flowers
    • Floating Flowers (colored normal ones only)
    • Buried Petals
    • Sea Lanterns
    • Flashes

Last edited:

NJM1564

Jul 29, 2019
i like the mod i wonder how much extra lag it would add to the pack as alot of people have problems with lag as it is?

I tested it by it's self on my craptastic computer it didn't seem to cause any effect. I suspect it would depend on how much it's used.
As it is light is just a number in MC. A value of 1-16 this only ups that value by something like 16*3. Once for red, green, and blue. So it shouldn't be that bad. About as bad as a 32 tex pack at the least. At most like a shaders mod.
But that is best case scenario. I'd only recommended it as an optional pack. Along with EnderIO. :p
I have heard there are issues with comparability. With buildcraft pipes for example. But that was from a long time ago. Both mods have bin extensively re written since then.
The biggest problem is more likely that it won't show up over some types of blocks. But there should be few crash issues.

essenceoflove

Jul 29, 2019
When ever I've played Botania or used it in a private modpack. I would always get the lag that most of us experience. I looked at the Botania config file for this pack. It doesnt look like the flowerParticles.frequency, worldgen.flower.density, and worldgen.flower.quantity has been changed. Most of the modpacks I've played reduce these numbers for lag reasons. If you look at some of the other offical packs that have the mod, you will find they have reduced numbers. These are the numbers I like to use. Botania.cfg line 34 D:flowerParticles.frequency=0.25, line 90 I:worldgen.flower.density=2, and line 93 I:worldgen.flower.quantity=1. For me there's still plenty of flowers and particle effects without any lag. You can change these numbers to what ever you like, but to see the change you would have to explore new areas or start your world over. I didn't see a retroworld generation option. PS. I like this pack so far. :)

Lankoran

Jul 29, 2019
Hey Folks, I updated my client and server today and when i got ingame my Draconic and Wyvern stuff that i'd gotten from reward bags seem to have fallen into the "Can't be used other than for crafting" category, is this intentional or is there some bug we've encountered while installing? I'm guessing the Draconic Evolution stuff shouldn't be in the list of tools that don't work given its position as "core" of the modpack?, greatful for any advice!

mcgoog

Jul 29, 2019
Hey Folks, I updated my client and server today and when i got ingame my Draconic and Wyvern stuff that i'd gotten from reward bags seem to have fallen into the "Can't be used other than for crafting" category, is this intentional or is there some bug we've encountered while installing? I'm guessing the Draconic Evolution stuff shouldn't be in the list of tools that don't work given its position as "core" of the modpack?, greatful for any advice!
Are you familiar with editing configs? Thats the easiest workaround i have found. Towards the bottom of iguana tweaks main cfg file there is a lime called vanilla tool nerf. Set it to false. Ooh, just seen the server part. Cough.. honor system cough..

Lankoran

Jul 29, 2019
I have no idea what that honor system hint means Mcgoog :D. Its only something thats been changed since updating to the x.x.10 version this morning. Had a load of trouble getting it installed in the first place on the server, wasn't expecting this too.

*edit*

Just realized that the Thaumcraft tools (Axe of the Stream, Shovel of the Earthmover ect ect) are also not able to mine, only be used in crafting recipies, this has to be a bug right?,

Last edited:

GreatOrator

Jul 29, 2019
When ever I've played Botania or used it in a private modpack. I would always get the lag that most of us experience. I looked at the Botania config file for this pack. It doesnt look like the flowerParticles.frequency, worldgen.flower.density, and worldgen.flower.quantity has been changed. Most of the modpacks I've played reduce these numbers for lag reasons. If you look at some of the other offical packs that have the mod, you will find they have reduced numbers. These are the numbers I like to use. Botania.cfg line 34 D:flowerParticles.frequency=0.25, line 90 I:worldgen.flower.density=2, and line 93 I:worldgen.flower.quantity=1. For me there's still plenty of flowers and particle effects without any lag. You can change these numbers to what ever you like, but to see the change you would have to explore new areas or start your world over. I didn't see a retroworld generation option. PS. I like this pack so far. :)
I may just look at these config changes...but the lag is more from all the entities in spawn more than the other stuff. Once you move away from draconis it is actually manageable and works like any other mod pack in that the more you build the higher the lag.
I had hoped that since boni acknowledged and said they were going to fix that an update would have come already, but since they have delayed for some reason I may push out an update with modified configs temporarily...just trying to avoid it if possible.
With consideration for the fallowing update I would like to suggest adding the Colored Light mod.

I had considered it, but with the performance issues from the mods already, decided against it, but everyone is welcome to add it if they want.

mcgoog

Jul 29, 2019
I have no idea what that honor system hint means Mcgoog :D. Its only something thats been changed since updating to the x.x.10 version this morning. Had a load of trouble getting it installed in the first place on the server, wasn't expecting this too.

*edit*

Just realized that the Thaumcraft tools (Axe of the Stream, Shovel of the Earthmover ect ect) are also not able to mine, only be used in crafting recipies, this has to be a bug right?,
Its a big with the latest tico tweaks

DoomSquirter

Apr 19, 2014
Home Alone
You won't have access to the questline until you have defeated the witch questline...items you get from some npc's unlock it
So for a couple days I walked around the town talking to anyone and everyone and trying to start quests and do things for people.

• In the mage tower, the thaumcraft guy keeps on offering me to help him with the sewer even tho I've done that and positioned golems, etc.... But he keeps on offering that questline up.
  • The botania person tho, I've done 2 or 3 rounds of quests and she hasn't added anything.
  • None of the other mages have asked me to do anything.
  • I have an open beekeeper quest and librarian but they are more the find me a x thing.
  • I see mention of queen but she's not starting conversations. Neither is the ghost near the crypt.
  • I killed the bandit and turned in that quest.
Other than those, I've found nothing that prodded me to continue on. I've opened up the portal to ME and gone there and legolas is not talking to me. I found a red book with no mini quests added, and literally am standing around with no clue what to do with myself.

I've gone back and made a base about 8k north from town in OW and have been practicing botania and trying to advance some of the quests in the magical arts one.

Do I need to complete the magical and technological ones to progress? TBH, I'm not a fan of thaumcraft, and I'm not interested really in proceeding down a path for AM2 when the mod is essentially dead and has plenty of bugs in it still. If I need to make some things to finish the questline tho, it'd be enough reason to persue those to at least close that and continue.

But please, some hint as to where I should be looking because at this point, I'm very confused.

eDilettante

Jul 29, 2019
So for a couple days I walked around the town talking to anyone and everyone and trying to start quests and do things for people.
  • I see mention of queen but she's not starting conversations. Neither is the ghost near the crypt.
  • I killed the bandit and turned in that quest.
...do I need to complete the magical and technological ones to progress? TBH, I'm not a fan of thaumcraft, and I'm not interested really in proceeding down a path for AM2 when the mod is essentially dead and has plenty of bugs in it still. If I need to make some things to finish the questline tho, it'd be enough reason to persue those to at least close that and continue.

But please, some hint as to where I should be looking because at this point, I'm very confused.

After killing the bandits and turning in that quest the King should have directed you to speak with the Commander, who is having a problem with a certain troll... once you've killed the troll, have a chat with the barman in the tavern who may mention some trouble north of town, where a captain has set up a tent as he is being overrun by witches in the valley below the farm (these quests open up in the 7th tab (Quest Journal) in the HQM from memory, they're invisible until triggered though). Completing the witch quests will open up a new branch featuring the dead queen, she and the priest will both have a story for you once you've taken care of the witches and their leader.

Hope these help a little. You don't have to do anything about the magic/tech/decoration etc questlines until after you finish the storyline quests if you don't want to (or even at all if you don't want to), but the rewards you get may help out with some of the tougher enemies...

Cheers.

DoomSquirter

Apr 19, 2014
Home Alone
After killing the bandits and turning in that quest the King should have directed you to speak with the Commander, who is having a problem with a certain troll... once you've killed the troll, have a chat with the barman in the tavern who may mention some trouble north of town, where a captain has set up a tent as he is being overrun by witches in the valley below the farm (these quests open up in the 7th tab (Quest Journal) in the HQM from memory, they're invisible until triggered though). Completing the witch quests will open up a new branch featuring the dead queen, she and the priest will both have a story for you once you've taken care of the witches and their leader.

Hope these help a little. You don't have to do anything about the magic/tech/decoration etc questlines until after you finish the storyline quests if you don't want to (or even at all if you don't want to), but the rewards you get may help out with some of the tougher enemies...

Cheers.
thanks for the spoiler cause you've pegged exactly what the problem is.

I finished kings quest and he said to see commander at barracks. I went to see him, he said he was missing night vision potions which led me to ship, led me to ahab, made the night vision potions, returned them and all was well...
but nothing, I repeat nothing past that point. everytime I talk to him, he's too busy. I found (by accident) xavious in a tent. talk to him? Too busy to talk to me.

Did I proceed too far somewhere and the npc's have bit rot? cause it looks like I'm missing a single thing that's keeping me from completing anything.

btw, when I killed the bandits, I got a charm or something with the guy's name on it. I assumed someone would want it as proof since it was named, but nobody cared. was someone suppose to take this thing from me?

with the city in full lag melt down for me now it's very hard to just wander around, etc. Outside of city, things run nicely.

Either way, I think I'm stuck. Is there a way to reset an npc's ability to hand out quests or where they are in quest chain?

Dark_Arkon

Jul 29, 2019
First off, this pack is AWESOME! I have been playing minecraft for a few years and this is the first mod pack that has this kind of RPG feel that I have seen and I'm loving it.

I have had one thing that I've come across that I've found annoying. Most crafting recipes from the Lord of the Rings mod dont seem to show up in NEI. Some do, I'm thinking its just the ones that require a specific nations crafting table, like to get rohan brick you need to use their crafting table, so it is possible to get it but NEI doesnt have the recipe.

Can this be fixed with the next update, having NEI tell you what crafting table you need and showing the recipe for it. This way people(like me) dont assume that if NEI doesnt know how it's crafted then it must not be craftable.

DoomSquirter

Apr 19, 2014
Home Alone
yeah so this is awesome. I thought ok, it's wierd that someone went to the trouble of leaving steps towards that rogue dungeon so hey, let's go down there and do a RD for about the 100th time and I get down to bottom and lo and behold, there's tyrltran. great. progress. try to talk to him. "Hopefully you can help our kingdom" it's so nice that the birds, cats and even trolls hope I can help them out.

The problem is I don't think I am supposed to just kill this dude. I assume there's supposed to be a dialog of sorts. welp, this dude is going down I guess since it's not that obvious that's what I'm supposed to be doing.

Edit: and I guess this is what's wrong. cause I can't harm this guy. cause I haven't been told to harm this guy.

So I'll ask again I guess, where exactly do you get told to kill this dude to start down this path since obviously something is buggered.

It was a fresh install, first time playing tolkiencraft 2. latest version. haven't had any ctd's nor corruptions or any kind of wierd things that could cause any errors.

DoomSquirter

Apr 19, 2014
Home Alone
So after reading alot of pages and alot of searches, I figure it has to do with the rating I have. I grabbed an npc wand and clicked on tyrltran and tried to find out what faction he was, then decided to look at my stats. For Aggressive I'm Unfriendly 0/500 for Villian, I'm friendly 1000/-

for draconis guard I'm 820/1500 (neutral).

I'm assuming this is where it's bugging out. But I've only gotten two quests for the guards. 1 for killing some creepers then another for bringing 3 heads each of skel/enderman/zombie. both I did and returned. I guess I will search out other guards or something to see if there's more quests to increase my rating with them.

I'm just saying that it's really not obvious if I'm dealing with a design mechanic/limitation or a bug. the lines are very blurred. Maybe I'm being a little impatient I guess but I played the first tolkiencraft and had bugs in ME where it was too laggy to do anything and I had to quit. I will try to find some patience. even if I have to kill a doctor to steal his. :)

GreatOrator

Jul 29, 2019
First off, this pack is AWESOME! I have been playing minecraft for a few years and this is the first mod pack that has this kind of RPG feel that I have seen and I'm loving it.

I have had one thing that I've come across that I've found annoying. Most crafting recipes from the Lord of the Rings mod dont seem to show up in NEI. Some do, I'm thinking its just the ones that require a specific nations crafting table, like to get rohan brick you need to use their crafting table, so it is possible to get it but NEI doesnt have the recipe.

Can this be fixed with the next update, having NEI tell you what crafting table you need and showing the recipe for it. This way people(like me) dont assume that if NEI doesnt know how it's crafted then it must not be craftable.
That mod has made his recipes work in a specific way. Most can only be crafted using the crafting table for a specific race (hobbit, gondor, etc) which is why they don't show in NEI, not a bug, but the way it was designed and was made that way to encourage increasing your favor with factions.
thanks for the spoiler cause you've pegged exactly what the problem is.

I finished kings quest and he said to see commander at barracks. I went to see him, he said he was missing night vision potions which led me to ship, led me to ahab, made the night vision potions, returned them and all was well...
but nothing, I repeat nothing past that point. everytime I talk to him, he's too busy. I found (by accident) xavious in a tent. talk to him? Too busy to talk to me.

Did I proceed too far somewhere and the npc's have bit rot? cause it looks like I'm missing a single thing that's keeping me from completing anything.

btw, when I killed the bandits, I got a charm or something with the guy's name on it. I assumed someone would want it as proof since it was named, but nobody cared. was someone suppose to take this thing from me?

with the city in full lag melt down for me now it's very hard to just wander around, etc. Outside of city, things run nicely.

Either way, I think I'm stuck. Is there a way to reset an npc's ability to hand out quests or where they are in quest chain?
You are stuck simply because you haven't properly completed quests. If you killed the bandits and you did so while having the bandit quest from NPC's and not in HQM, you take the spoils of that battle back to the person that gave you the NPC quest.
So after reading alot of pages and alot of searches, I figure it has to do with the rating I have. I grabbed an npc wand and clicked on tyrltran and tried to find out what faction he was, then decided to look at my stats. For Aggressive I'm Unfriendly 0/500 for Villian, I'm friendly 1000/-

for draconis guard I'm 820/1500 (neutral).

I'm assuming this is where it's bugging out. But I've only gotten two quests for the guards. 1 for killing some creepers then another for bringing 3 heads each of skel/enderman/zombie. both I did and returned. I guess I will search out other guards or something to see if there's more quests to increase my rating with them.

I'm just saying that it's really not obvious if I'm dealing with a design mechanic/limitation or a bug. the lines are very blurred. Maybe I'm being a little impatient I guess but I played the first tolkiencraft and had bugs in ME where it was too laggy to do anything and I had to quit. I will try to find some patience. even if I have to kill a doctor to steal his. :)
So it sounds like you have not been given the quest from the commander...he sets your faction in preparation to kill tyltran, after you have finished all of the kings quests the king will direct you to speak to his commander...