[1.7.10] TolkienCraft II - Adventure Awaits! - v2.9.5[QUESTS][ADVENTURE][NORMAL MODE]

O-120

Jul 29, 2019
I got killed by a bandit after i accidently opened his cell. and now i can't get the quest book! And also the game lags so much (not sure if it's my computer that needs to get better:p)

edit: Sorry about the quest book thingy got it again!:D but could you make it a little bit easier to see where you should go to start the quests. have whandered around a bit and i can't find the first quest! (and is the quest book supposed to be activated when you get it because mine is not!)

Last edited:
Reactions: GreatOrator

GreatOrator

Jul 29, 2019
The HQM mode is a bug unfortunately and one that has been reported, just type /hqm quest when you first login. The dwarf at the docks will give you a new one if you lose yours. And it is kinda on purpose that you have to explore, but it does say to visit the king and the giant castle on the hill is usually a dead giveaway. For the town visit quest, the hqm book actually gives you specific coordinates on where to go, so not sure how much more direction to give as the HQM quest literally has you visit pretty much every major building in town.

Should be both as I updated the book and NPC's, the mattock is a combination hoe and pick and axe but not as good at it as any of them. The 2.0.4 update SHOULD have the corrected rewards for the tools when they finally push it out as I noticed right before uploading the update the book did not have the proper tool rewards.

I also made sure to fix the peaceful mode on the map (i hope) as well as the day/night cycle.

2.0.4 should be available sometime later today (@Vals NoisyToys , pushed this one out specifically to be ready before your stream tomorrow :)

Reactions: Vals NoisyToys

Garret Jax

Jul 29, 2019
Still in 2.0.3 as .4 hasn't shown up on launcher yet
Minions mod - missing 'deed configuration file' when hitting K
Tab for NPC quests location conflicts with Tcon inventory one -- have to goto factions tab then select quests tab otherwise it jumps to Tcon Inv
WALA not showing redstone ore correctly - says 'error' when looking at redstone ore
The strong enemies (who've been kickin my ass) the details on them are covered by the WALA pop up for normal enemies -- easy fix is disabling WALA, but its very useful to have for pack with this many mods - dont know if you can configure one or the other to show lower.
I've noticed a lot of lag spikes where your FPS slows to a crawl for a few seconds, mostly out side of town, haven't found a specific cause yet -- might be 1.7 chunk gen, I know thats slow, but even visiting previously explored chunks. Not as bad as some packs, but might be something to watch

GreatOrator

Jul 29, 2019
Still in 2.0.3 as .4 hasn't shown up on launcher yet
Minions mod - missing 'deed configuration file' when hitting K
-This one I will look into, haven't activated in a few versions so if so, will get reported for sure.
Tab for NPC quests location conflicts with Tcon inventory one -- have to goto factions tab then select quests tab otherwise it jumps to Tcon Inv
-I have mentioned this one to both and they each say it is the other's issue so unfortunately have no fix for it at this time (Same way I get to the tab too, OR use the tilde "`" to open the quest log directly since I am not 'actively' using the factions for anything "yet".
WALA not showing redstone ore correctly - says 'error' when looking at redstone ore
-Redstone isn't the only one, working on reports to have that fixed, they are trying to find out if it is waila or wawla causing the issue
The strong enemies (who've been kickin my ass) the details on them are covered by the WALA pop up for normal enemies -- easy fix is disabling WALA, but its very useful to have for pack with this many mods - dont know if you can configure one or the other to show lower.
-That is actually on my todo list as it is part of the configs...rearranging the huds to fit better, but was waiting until I make sure the other features are more stable or at least as stable as they can be with minecraft.
I've noticed a lot of lag spikes where your FPS slows to a crawl for a few seconds, mostly out side of town, haven't found a specific cause yet -- might be 1.7 chunk gen, I know thats slow, but even visiting previously explored chunks. Not as bad as some packs, but might be something to watch
-This is definitely chunk gen lag (part of the reason I have worked to keep the generated area small myself) and have considered fastcraft, but with the mixed results I think I am going to leave it to the individual to add as I have seen some success myself with the latest version of that mod.

You know, at this point I am going to have to add you and Vals as official testers...lol. I seriously appreciate the effort you guys, just the kind of feedback I have been needing, and in some cases, validation of the errors I have seen.

victor pelt

Jul 29, 2019
do you also have a server version? I'm trying to see if i can get one started myself but i don't want to do double work if you already have one

GreatOrator

Jul 29, 2019
do you also have a server version? I'm trying to see if i can get one started myself but i don't want to do double work if you already have one

Not yet. I was planning on one once the overall pack would far enough along, effectively when we move to version 2.1.x which would be after at least Ars Magica and MystCraft are updated to 1.7.10 (though Logistic Pipes and Aquatic Abyss would be nice too)

I have a psuedo server pack I use for testing personally, but it is not quite ready for a number of reason for a live server download.

Let me know how it goes for you! if it works, I will be more than happy to list your sever (if you want) in the OP and on my website.

imfabby

Jul 29, 2019
OMG! i play since 1.2.5 modded minecraft but never tought someone made a mod based on lotr universe.
And also this pack is awesome. Congratulations to the guy who made this pack.

GreatOrator

Jul 29, 2019
OMG! i play since 1.2.5 modded minecraft but never tought someone made a mod based on lotr universe.
And also this pack is awesome. Congratulations to the guy who made this pack.
Thank you very much for the compliments and support!

victor pelt

Jul 29, 2019
i found that some of the quests are completable in the overworld without ever going to middle earth. maybe it would be possible to check the user has ever been there before

that said, it gave me a shovel which was quite helpfull in getting started so maybe a few quests that lead to crafting the ring to go to middle earth would be very nice

GreatOrator

Jul 29, 2019
i found that some of the quests are completable in the overworld without ever going to middle earth. maybe it would be possible to check the user has ever been there before

that said, it gave me a shovel which was quite helpfull in getting started so maybe a few quests that lead to crafting the ring to go to middle earth would be very nice
Well, the way the lotr mod is headed I don't have any quests specifically for that dimension as it has it's own quest system as of the version 20 update. However, you don't need to craft the ring. IF you follow at least the HQM quests up to and including the troll killing quest it will unlock the temple which currently has portals to middle-earth, the underdark and to the nether. Once MystCraft is available for 1.7.10 I'll add one more portal to a new dimension (won't say which one yet)

My goal was to give players an MMO feel while still maintaining the openess of modded minecraft so you are free to explore and do what you want with having extra stuff to keep you busy that I hope is fun too.

I have been trying to change out the tools to give tinkers basic tools so players have at least a good starting set of items to get going on their own before they choose to leave draconis (at one point a quest will unlock a hidden teleport room, but for now, don;t use it, it was set up in preparation for mystcraft. if you do use it, you'll have a long walk back to town.

Garret Jax

Jul 29, 2019
Still in 2.0.3 Launcher hasn't opened up 2.0.4 yet on my list.

Mostly mining tonight though i got to play around a bit with Flaxbeards steam mod - one i've never toyed with (General question to anybody: Is there any fast way to make brass ingots, while the casting was neat the first few times, it gets kinda monotonous)
Couple of things i noted while mining
Seem to be some random voids in the stone -- 2-6 blocks, looks like a ore view that disapeared. Sometimes has zombies spawned in them. I've taken to calling them Zombinium. Wonder if a mod spawned an ore and got overwritten -- might want to check if any expected ores aren spawning.

Speaking of spawning ores. There seems to be a lot of duplicaiton on spawning copper ore -- Think i counted three mods at least spawning it -- might make sense to turn two of them off and just up the rate a bit on the one you want to use.
Maybe its luck of mining -- but Tin seems have a very low spawn rate, as done Zinc. There where a couple of mods spawning Sulfur and that seemed to be everywhere

Had some oddness with the Tconstruct mining level -- couple times tool said it gained a mining level but didn't seem to change what it could mine. Noticed it especially with my iron pick when i was trying to get it up enough to mine diamonds.

Vals NoisyToys

Jul 29, 2019
2.0.4 should be available sometime later today (@Vals NoisyToys , pushed this one out specifically to be ready before your stream tomorrow :)

Fantastic, thank you so much, GreatOrator. Looking forward to my stream! :)

You know, at this point I am going to have to add you and Vals as official testers...lol. I seriously appreciate the effort you guys, just the kind of feedback I have been needing, and in some cases, validation of the errors I have seen.

Works for me. :p

Last edited:

GreatOrator

Jul 29, 2019
Still in 2.0.3 Launcher hasn't opened up 2.0.4 yet on my list.

Mostly mining tonight though i got to play around a bit with Flaxbeards steam mod - one i've never toyed with (General question to anybody: Is there any fast way to make brass ingots, while the casting was neat the first few times, it gets kinda monotonous)
Couple of things i noted while mining
Seem to be some random voids in the stone -- 2-6 blocks, looks like a ore view that disappeared. Sometimes has zombies spawned in them. I've taken to calling them Zombinium. Wonder if a mod spawned an ore and got overwritten -- might want to check if any expected ores aren spawning.

Speaking of spawning ores. There seems to be a lot of duplication on spawning copper ore -- Think i counted three mods at least spawning it -- might make sense to turn two of them off and just up the rate a bit on the one you want to use.
Maybe its luck of mining -- but Tin seems have a very low spawn rate, as done Zinc. There where a couple of mods spawning Sulfur and that seemed to be everywhere

Had some oddness with the Tconstruct mining level -- couple times tool said it gained a mining level but didn't seem to change what it could mine. Noticed it especially with my iron pick when i was trying to get it up enough to mine diamonds.
I haven't gotten notice of it being ready either so they may be busy. I should hope it will be ready by tomorrow.

As for the ores. There were a few mods in the early builds I removed which would account for the holes you speak of. I do intend ultimately to use cofhworld gen to handle ore spawning which is another reason I have kept the map small and not generated any terrain in other dimensions.

When the modpack goes full release everyone will be required to reset the pack by removing the current folder IF they want full benefits of the configuration changes and generation.

I also plan to use the merchants to handle certain items that are having recipe conflicts (I am looking at you botania and chisel) so I can disable the recipe for one mod and make the item purchasable from an NPC.

Was going to use minetweaker and mod tweaker, but considering I plan to keep this pack as close to what the modmakers planned as possible, those two mods seem like overkill.

As for flaxbeards...that is even a new mod for me (Don't get used to the guns though, I may disable them just like custom npc's since they don't really fit with my idea of what the pack should be) but for what I have been reading (avid reader of the wikis for the mods, have to, what kind of pack maker would i be otherwise) he has deliberately made it that way for balance from what he has said.

GreatOrator

Jul 29, 2019
So, and update as to progress for next weeks update, bug fix wise anyways...

I have called in a very respectable doctor and he was finally able to cure the warp plague in town, all citizens reporting a healthy norm
Those pesky spawn gods have finally agreed to stop putting everyone in water and you should now spawn exactly where I intended you with no MC wierdness.
The local labor unions will try to enforce sleeping in beds for workers but promise nothing for villagers
And after a lengthy ritual, day and night have now returned, but with a price, the constant fear of death looms...(survival mode corrected...as long as I remember to remove creative each time...lol)

coolbrz

Jul 29, 2019
As far as the MCA villagers are concerned, they would probably all need to be given a home, like have them follow you and set home inside a building somewhere. They never sleep in beds from what ive seen anyhow so not much of an issue (to me anyhow heh)

good job on the progress thus far, when the new version(s) drop ill give it a go again!

Garret Jax

Jul 29, 2019
Great progress on the bug fixes - love the direction the pack is going.
Def agree that the guns don't seem to be a good fit, as much fun as taking out an orc with a blunderbus might be
Maybe I'll have to rush build one just for the experience before next update :D

GreatOrator

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah, i've tried assigning them homes and for the most part I have, but they seem to replicate like bunnies so I kinda gave up after a bit (the number you see in game is like 3 times what I manually placed myself)

The upside is the other developer (draconic evolution dev) helped me with the ore gen last night so next weeks update should take care of that issue.

Keep the reports coming!

Almost forgot, as it relates to the music the bard plays in-game. I replaced the music with a royalty-free acoustic guitar version of the song...from my research, should not violate any copyrights when played in videos

Last edited:

Garret Jax

Jul 29, 2019
Almost forgot, as it relates to the music the bard plays in-game. I replaced the music with a royalty-free acoustic guitar version of the song...from my research, should not violate any copyrights when played in videos

Is this the LOTR themed song that plays as you wander through the town ? I can't seem to find a volume control that handles that one, and while its nice the first couple of times, after about the 100th time I've run past it from the castle to the blacksmith shop i start getting twitchy

Working today so wont have much chance to test any more till this evening

GreatOrator

Jul 29, 2019
Yes, it is that song, what I did (and the volume of the song is lower in the 2.0.4 update and it is a different song) was just turn down music volume in the settings since 1.7 lets you select different volumes for different things now

Garret Jax

Jul 29, 2019
Yes, it is that song, what I did (and the volume of the song is lower in the 2.0.4 update and it is a different song) was just turn down music volume in the settings since 1.7 lets you select different volumes for different things now

Interesting -- I'll have to have another look then, because I think the music volume on the options was ghosted and at 0%
However if its something you've already looked at i wont worry about it for now
Thanks