[1.7.10] The Ferret Business [WIP][BQ + HQM, 500+ Quests][v 0.2.6]

suprra

Jul 29, 2019
I have an ae system with acceleration cards in the export and import buses for the smelters for coins and tokens. The tokens are on a level emitter to always keep 500 in stock and when I turn in quests I just throw the bags into my ae system and they get sent to an autonomous activator to be right clicked and an advanced item collector by random things (upgraded range in options) to suck the coins back in. Doing it manually was getting tedious xD I did have Steves Factory Manager doing it for a while but the area I had it in at the time didn't allow me much space around it so I had to keep crafting the tokens to keep it topped up, other than it worked fine but I just prefer ae2

Everlasting2

Jun 28, 2015
I have an ae system with acceleration cards in the export and import buses for the smelters for coins and tokens. The tokens are on a level emitter to always keep 500 in stock and when I turn in quests I just throw the bags into my ae system and they get sent to an autonomous activator to be right clicked and an advanced item collector by random things (upgraded range in options) to suck the coins back in. Doing it manually was getting tedious xD I did have Steves Factory Manager doing it for a while but the area I had it in at the time didn't allow me much space around it so I had to keep crafting the tokens to keep it topped up, other than it worked fine but I just prefer ae2
having ae auto stock the tokens sounds like a bit of a fuss(something about ae hating duplication recipes) i just used an rf tools crafter to do that with some tokens being routed back up to the crafter(works lovely when the crafter can only accept exchange tokens becuase all the slots are marked with misc trash/cobble or exchange tokens

as for the bags theres a crafting recipe for debagging them now 1 bag = 50 coins normal crafting recipe

tofuturkey

Jul 29, 2019
I have a progression question. I understand a lot of the quest-lines are under construction, but currently what is the logical course of progression? I don't see any quests for power gen (could be I simply haven't unlocked them yet), for example. I'm unlocking tons of quests that require power, but nothing that provides it. Any tips? Looking forward to the next update.

EDIT: I was an idiot, found the related quests. Still interested in knowing about the progression though, there are so many branches from the Initial Research line.

Last edited:

suprra

Jul 29, 2019
Ahh I wasn't aware of the crafting recipe for them, awesome xD

Yeah ae does not like making crates so I have an autocrafter doing that.
The only thing that is muchly annoying me is the ore dictionary with ae and when I tell it to export say a sword or a bow, it exports coal lol. I love that ae is now using ore dict, but with the ferret ore dict it makes things a mite interesting heh

Caigan

Jul 29, 2019
n a side note I love how you can use a Cardboard Box from Mekanism to transport aura nodes
This is no longer the case in the next update. I thought a few things were in the blackbox blacklist by default, but apparently not. =T

I was an idiot, found the related quests. Still interested in knowing about the progression though, there are so many branches from the Initial Research line.

There isn't precisely a set progression path like most HQM/BQ packs. After the initial quests, its more about "What mod would I like to do/learn first?", and the questline covers the mod from start to finish. Supply and Demand, Buying resources, reputation, blind bags, and the quests themselves give an incentive and a reward for doing the various questlines.

tofuturkey

Jul 29, 2019
There isn't precisely a set progression path like most HQM/BQ packs. After the initial quests, its more about "What mod would I like to do/learn first?", and the questline covers the mod from start to finish. Supply and Demand, Buying resources, reputation, blind bags, and the quests themselves give an incentive and a reward for doing the various questlines.

OK, That makes sense, thanks for that.

Rableniver

Jul 29, 2019
I dont know if you already know this, but removing Matter Overdrive from the pack seems to remove the FMC values for all compressed cobblestone

Attifyon

Jul 29, 2019
I don't know if this was the reason for the BetterQuesting bug, but I decided to try and set up an RF Submission System with the hope that a machine constantly updating the data would prevent the game from trying to do it automatically and causing the crash.
Turns out I did submit a little bit of RF into the 5million RF quest, so I decided to stick to that one. The game did crash again in a couple minutes, but ever since then I've been able to play pretty smoothly.
TL;DR - if BetterQuesting crashes your game try to complete any quests that you've only partially done, specifically the RF ones.

Also I kinda overhyped the Draconic Evolution questline in my mind, and got into it with ~60k vouchers to spare. Needless to say I didn't quite need that much to get what I wanted, so now I'm somewhat disappointed that you don't really have that much of a use for the vouchers after a certain (and quite early with the exception of DE stuff) point. I think it'd be great if we could buy some items that are otherwise a ridiculous chore to get, or utilities that make certain stuff a lot easier but not to the point of breaking the game:
-Creative caches/barrels with empty shipping crates/trading tokens just to help with automation (though I don't quite know how you'd implement this in a way that'd prevent people from changing the content)
-Primus dayblooms/nightshades and overgrowth seeds from Botania
-Knowledge fragments from Thaumcraft (clicking away on a Deconstruction Table full of vanilla workbenches gets dull very fast)
-Jarred nodes with either a single specific primal aspect or all of primal aspects (for energizing/wand recharging)
-Whitestone from RandomThings (I'd honestly spend 50k on this just to get a bloodstone)
-Trading an empty RF storage item with vouchers for a full one (would be useful for people who don't want to dabble too much into tech mods without giving up on the automation)

Even if you want to keep the "lootbags except for ores" style of the shop the contents of the bags could use some variation. I've opened about 150 legendary bags so far and stopped bothering with lesser bags, and my storage is full of Tier 3/4 stuff from Simply Jetpacks and different levels of Laputa Shards from Botania. The bags contain too much garbage in contrast to actually useful stuff, like the Pseudo-Inversion Sigil and upgraded Ichorcloth armor, to be worth the time/vouchers and you can get invincibility, creative flight and insane mining tools way before even unlocking DE stuff, let alone purchasing them.

EDIT: Just for clearance, I'm trying to say that vouchers should have more uses, even if it's really expensive. Once you reach a certain point there's more or less no point in the whole trading system unless you need something specific from a mod that requires strict progression.

Last edited:

Chinthor

Jul 29, 2019
I'm loving this pack. Not many have Quest packs have the full magic/tech coverage. Fewer still are stable enough to run. But does anyone know how to toggle off the FMC tooltips? This pack has so many tooltip generating mods that some items have screen devouring tip boxes. Can't see what I'm doing. I'm trying to set them all to show only on shift, but the FerretShinies doesn't have a config for that. Any ideas?

D

dakka

Was wondering if any1 knew how to stop the tinkling sound activating when doing the hand in quests for things like creepy flesh. I handed in about 5k meat and it drove me bonkers. It went on for hours and hours, afk'ing...it's still going.

I still have 10k plus of the meat which I will now delete as its too laborious to hand in anyways. But I really need to stop this tinkling sound.

EDIT: Did a full restart and it finally stopped (may have been coincidence as I left the game for a while)....but i will be trashing the flesh from now on unless there is a way to stop the sound/popups. Note I had disableQuestNotifications=true already set due to the black screen bug. That doesn't seem to stop the notifications for the creepy flesh hand ins tho.

Anyways feel free to ignore this unless there is a way to stop the tinkling/popup for hand ins.

EDIT2: Sorry just realised it happens with the exchange tokens as well, bought about 5k of those as well. I am guessing it happens with anything u repeat in massive amounts. Like exchange tokens and researchology quests.

Last edited:

Everlasting2

Jun 28, 2015
to be worth the time/vouchers and you can get invincibility, creative flight and insane mining to
I viewed it as content to do ,plus draconic aoe was nice for clearing a room/island of mobs .as for the draconic armor literally only got it because loads of spare vouchers (60k+)
Was wondering if any1 knew how to stop the tinkling sound activating when doing the hand in quests for things like creepy flesh. I handed in about 5k meat and it drove me bonkers. It went on for hours and hours, afk'ing...it's still going.

I still have 10k plus of the meat which I will now delete as its too laborious to hand in anyways. But I really need to stop this tinkling sound.

EDIT: Did a full restart and it finally stopped (may have been coincidence as I left the game for a while)....but i will be trashing the flesh from now on unless there is a way to stop the sound/popups. Note I had disableQuestNotifications=true already set due to the black screen bug. That doesn't seem to stop the notifications for the creepy flesh hand ins tho.

Anyways feel free to ignore this unless there is a way to stop the tinkling/popup for hand ins.

EDIT2: Sorry just realised it happens with the exchange tokens as well, bought about 5k of those as well. I am guessing it happens with anything u repeat in massive amounts. Like exchange tokens and researchology quests.
1. Solution for hand in noise spam :mute minecraft
2.solution for noise from exchange tokens ,u can craft a stack of exchange tokens from 1 exchange token of that tier

Caigan

Jul 29, 2019
I dont know if you already know this, but removing Matter Overdrive from the pack seems to remove the FMC values for all compressed cobblestone
This is because of the way Minetweaker handles scripts. It reaches the MO items in the scripts, and then since it can't find the item, it stops on that script and moves to the next file.

I think it'd be great if we could buy some items that are otherwise a ridiculous chore to get, or utilities that make certain stuff a lot easier but not to the point of breaking the game:
-Creative caches/barrels with empty shipping crates/trading tokens just to help with automation (though I don't quite know how you'd implement this in a way that'd prevent people from changing the content)
-Primus dayblooms/nightshades and overgrowth seeds from Botania
-Knowledge fragments from Thaumcraft (clicking away on a Deconstruction Table full of vanilla workbenches gets dull very fast)
-Jarred nodes with either a single specific primal aspect or all of primal aspects (for energizing/wand recharging)
-Whitestone from RandomThings (I'd honestly spend 50k on this just to get a bloodstone)
-Trading an empty RF storage item with vouchers for a full one (would be useful for people who don't want to dabble too much into tech mods without giving up on the automation)
More items to buy is the plan, so that folks who have tons of vouchers have stuff as well.

• I can't think of a way to do the creative barrel crate/token thing. I'll think on it though.
  • From my understanding, Primus flowers register the location they are at, and if they are not at said location, they delete themselves. As for Overgrowth seeds, thats in the plans
  • You can get knowledge fragments from the Thaumic Research crate in the General Items
  • Buying the random Aura Node is in the plans. Maybe specific ones.
  • Purchasing a whitestone is a good idea.
  • I've considered adding purchasable EnderIO Capacitor Banks as an option. Pay for the capacitor bank + the RF energy, since they are multiblock.
I've opened about 150 legendary bags so far and stopped bothering with lesser bags, and my storage is full of Tier 3/4 stuff from Simply Jetpacks and different levels of Laputa Shards from Botania.
Costs for buying Blind Bags outright is going to become more expensive. I haven't really changed the cost on them, even with multiple reworking of bag contents.

As for trash vs usefulness, it's a matter of perspective. Part of the point of Blind Bags is to give players items they may never see normally, especially things like decorative blocks.

I do agree I may need to readjust the 'minimums' for each bag so that the higher tier bags have more variety in them.

This pack has so many tooltip generating mods that some items have screen devouring tip boxes
Which items specifically are you having this problem with? Most FMC valued items are a single line, unless they are a special item.

Caigan the next update, will be for the next year?
Depends how busy I am. Working steadily on this update (if you check the changelog, the next update is up to roughly 19 pages, though 4 of that is RFTools stuff.) when I can.

Your sounds may have got broken in a loop at some point.

But next version has 25x versions of those quests, plus will have automation of those items.

The config option to turn off the notifications and splash screen popup is not implemented fully yet (I didn't realize thats what [NYI] meant. oops).

Instead, I've set all quests to isSilent=true in the next update. This should solve a few of the issues, including sound loop bugs, black screen bugs, etc when completing quests.

1. Solution for hand in noise spam :mute minecraft
2.solution for noise from exchange tokens ,u can craft a stack of exchange tokens from 1 exchange token of that tier
1 is only a temporary workaround really.
2 is a good thing to note, though.

Attifyon

Jul 29, 2019
As for trash vs usefulness, it's a matter of perspective. Part of the point of Blind Bags is to give players items they may never see normally, especially things like decorative blocks.

I do agree I may need to readjust the 'minimums' for each bag so that the higher tier bags have more variety in them.
Well, my "trash" comment was mostly about the amazing Botania bags. All of the other amazing bags have stuff that are actually amazing, like Soul Fragments, Ichorium tools and armor, Pseudo-Inversion Sigils, Flux-Infused JetPlates etc., but I genuinely can't recall getting anything besides Laputa Shards from an amazing Botania bag. Even the lower tier is better since you can get stuff like Dandelifeons or Terra Shatterers from them, while the amazing bag is just different power levels of Shard of Laputa.
As for "decorative blocks", maybe you could remove all the different decorative blocks from their respective mods' bags and put them in a dedicated "building bag"? Also, I don't know if they are already in a bag but it'd be great if we could get some of the harder-to-get building blocks as well, like Lapis Caelestis and Skyblocks.

I also would recommend adding Thaumic Horizons and/or Witching Gadgets to the modpack. Thaumic Horizons in particular adds a system to infuse and improve your character with special effects that last until death, which could "replace" Matter Overdrive's android system. Witching Gadgets adds a recipe to duplicate Platinum Nuggets using only Metallum, but I believe that recipe can be disabled, and only requires Traveller's Gear as a base mod which is already in the pack. I've added both manually and haven't really experienced anything that breaks the game or ruins the current progression and balancing (besides the Shiny duplication, of course).

Reactions: Odovbold

Caigan

Jul 29, 2019
but I genuinely can't recall getting anything besides Laputa Shards from an amazing Botania bag.
At the current minimum FMC value, the Amazing Botania bag has Laputa Shards and Terra Shatterers in it.

Looking through a lot of the Amazing bags currently, there is definitely a lack of variety in the top tier bags. I'll see about rearranging the minimums at some point, though it might not be in this upcoming update.

As for "decorative blocks", maybe you could remove all the different decorative blocks from their respective mods' bags and put them in a dedicated "building bag"?
That sorta defeats the purpose of the themed bags. A [mod] bag is supposed to have 95% or more of available items from a mod. There will be other bags soon that are more themed towards [weapon] or [decoration] or [color] or similar. As well as specific bags put together for various things, like the big survey one (no I haven't forgotten about that!).

Lapis Caelestis and Skyblocks.
Lapis Caelestis is already in ExU bags, Sky Blocks will be added when OpenBlock bags are created and added to the pool.

I also would recommend adding Thaumic Horizons and/or Witching Gadgets to the modpack
Unsure on either of these at the moment. Will look into them.

Reactions: An0nymuS
D

dakka

As always, thanks for your patience and awesomeness! Seriously a nice person!

edit: Just a question aimed at any1, I have killed a few thousand mobs in 2 rogue like dungeons with a wyvern sword but am yet to get a mob soul. I am wondering if its just bad luck or if there are no mob souls.

Also i have checked hundreds of loot chests and am yet to see a single reaper enchant. I have seen last stand and other rare ones, but can't seem to find reaper, any1 seen this enchant yet? Am i just having a really bad run of luck?

Last edited:
J

joeblogs888

hi guys just a quick question i keep getting the message when i log on my world that there is a new update for the better questing. can i keep my world and update this? and just restart the quests or will i have to make a new world? if i can keep my world were and how do i go about updating the better questing and also the better questing standard expansion? ive seen somewhere a guide but i can find were i saw this. help much appreciated :) thanks

Zirofal

Jul 29, 2019
Hey i havent realy beena round for a while so i just wonderd if their was any other uppdates after the one wich added the new quest book

elcid534

Jul 29, 2019
@Zirofal , the current version (0.2.0) is the update that added the new quest book, so no, there isnt a update yet, but its still in the works.