[1.7.10] The Ferret Business [WIP][BQ + HQM, 500+ Quests][v 0.2.6]

Scottly318

Jul 29, 2019
Just how much energy does a seperator use per tick? even with all 8 energy upgrades installed it obliterates my power supply

RyokuHasu

Jul 29, 2019
Just how much energy does a seperator use per tick? even with all 8 energy upgrades installed it obliterates my power supply

I don't know if it's changed in newer mekanism updates but the separator takes up way more power and scales way higher with speed upgrades. if you have gas efficiency upgrades in the machines that use the gasses from the separator remove speed upgrades from the separator until it matches or is just over what your machines use.

RyokuHasu

Jul 29, 2019
Interestingly enough I started a world and just happened to spawn right under a TCon slime island, if you want this start here's the seed

Code:
World Type: Realistic

-edit-
Also how dare you mistake me for a ferret, I am an ermine! lol

Last edited:

Everlasting2

Jun 28, 2015
separators cant have there energy costs decreased they can only go up (u can only really make machines more efficent with the gas they use for cost of the separator's sake, like upgrading the o2 user with gas upgrades)

last i check the separator scales linearly (i could be wrong i did not check much )

Reactions: An0nymuS

Everlasting2

Jun 28, 2015
It should be able to decrease. As it accepts the energy upgrades.
specfic exception by mod author (cuased ballence issues in past versions (pre1.7.10)the seperator being unable to get costs down from upgrades to the seperator its self was part of the rework ), the energy upgrade does have an effect though on it : it gets a larger internal battery with each energy upgrade

do note at max gas upgrade the purficantion chamber uses 90%? less 02 to run per operation (the machine mentions x10 effect which would be probably be uses 10% of base amount)

Last edited:

Scottly318

Jul 29, 2019
Ahhh... makes sense... kinda... sorta.... not really. I understand gas upgrades getting gas usage down by 90%. A larger energy buffer helps the seperator. But to not be able to keep an effective energy buffer is counter intuitive to me. I understand large scale seperators are power hungry (thank you father-in-law with a phd in chemistry) but imo the power drain is beyond what seems right. But that's neither here nor there.

Enepttastic

Jul 29, 2019
As mentioned, Energy Upgrades in a separator only increases its internal energy buffer and does NOT reduce energy usage.

As for power usage, Mekanism machines have a small box on the lower left of their GUI that has a lightning bolt on it. Hover over it and it'll tell you the current usage. You can also left-click it to change what unit it displays. That said, the separator uses 1.6k RF/tick(1,600 RF/tick) without any upgrades and each Speed Upgrade doubles consumption. 8 upgrades ends up having a multiplier of 256 bringing the total to 409.6k RF/tick.

Now, the Gas-Burning Generator can produce up to 76.8k RF/t when filled with Ethylene(Hyrdogen isn't meant to be a fuel on its own). A quick use of a calculator tells us that we'd need 6 generators to power one maxed speed separator. You'd still have about 50k RF/t left over which should be more than enough to cover the machines for keeping the generators full. Specifically 1 PRC per generator with 7 speed upgrades, some Crushers to convert plant matter to biofuel and some way of getting said plant matter. I recommend pumpkins as your plant matter. Get a field of 10/10/10 going and each harvest is 24 biofuel(6 per pumpkin).

Personally I'd look into other methods of power generation before bothering with a maxed out separator. A single gas-burning generator can handle a separator running 5 speed upgrades with about 25k RF/t to spare. Make some upgraded gas tanks or use the Extra Cells gas storage cells for an AE network to store oxygen and do processing in batches if needed.

Kairee

Jul 29, 2019
I've been working through the Better Questing questlines, but so far have not yet found a way to raise Shop Loyalty, in order to open the final research tier. There are a number of posts about all three reputations needing to be raised, but while the old HQM had quests to purchase from the 'Shop' which raised loyalty, Better Questing doesn't seem to have it yet.

Also, a couple of bug reports. I'm sure some of this is known.

The recipe for Transmutative Rod does not seem to work. I've verified that the recipe matches online resources and NEI, but infusion will not begin. It's like one of the items is expecting different metadata, but I can't quite figure out what I'm missing.

Carpenter's Blocks blind bag series C 2 and Malisis Doors Blind Bag Series G 1 will not open.

Thanks

D

Dinoboy98

It seems that my problem may stem from the fact that I cannot move the scroll bar in my QUEST tablet. Is that a known thing? Or maybe just a derpy moment on my part?

Kairee

Jul 29, 2019
It seems that my problem may stem from the fact that I cannot move the scroll bar in my QUEST tablet. Is that a known thing? Or maybe just a derpy moment on my part?

I've noticed that the scroll bar cannot be dragged and pulled. It can only be moved through rolling the mouse wheel.

Enepttastic

Jul 29, 2019
I've been working through the Better Questing questlines, but so far have not yet found a way to raise Shop Loyalty, in order to open the final research tier. There are a number of posts about all three reputations needing to be raised, but while the old HQM had quests to purchase from the 'Shop' which raised loyalty, Better Questing doesn't seem to have it yet.

Also, a couple of bug reports. I'm sure some of this is known.

The recipe for Transmutative Rod does not seem to work. I've verified that the recipe matches online resources and NEI, but infusion will not begin. It's like one of the items is expecting different metadata, but I can't quite figure out what I'm missing.

Carpenter's Blocks blind bag series C 2 and Malisis Doors Blind Bag Series G 1 will not open.

Thanks
Blind Bag issue is known. Current workaround is to use NEI/Creative to give yourself the C1(I think) bags.

As for shop loyalty...Open your Better Questing book/hit the keybind. Click the "[FRD] Ferret Resources Dept." tab. Click the, "Explanation of Benefits," quest. READ.

Kairee

Jul 29, 2019
As for shop loyalty...Open your Better Questing book/hit the keybind. Click the "[FRD] Ferret Resources Dept." tab. Click the, "Explanation of Benefits," quest. READ.

I've read it up and down and sideways, and do not see what you're trying to point me to. I apologize for being dense in this regard. The quest Explanation of Benefits shows how to receive shop vouchers, and the old HQM system had a line of quests where you submit shop vouchers in exchange for items. This is where I'm stalling on Better Questing. I'm unable to find any line of quests in Better Questing that lines up with the old HQM system where you submit shop vouchers. Or any other way of using shop vouchers.

Caigan

Jul 29, 2019
The original HQM tablet was renamed the TFB Corporate Catalog, and contains all the shop items. Shop items in the TFB Corporate Catalog give you Shop Tokens now, which work like Trader Tokens except for Shop Loyalty, and can be turned in in the [FRD] quest page.

Verified that it isn't working right now for some reason. I've added an Arcane Table recipe for the next update to work around it, as ModTweaking in the infusion recipe isn't working either.

Already fixed for next update.

Need to scroll wheel those, click and drag doesn't always work.

It'll reset up to the top, though, if you are filling in an RF Energy quest right now, due to a bug. Stop filling RF Energy quests and it'll fix odd book behavior. (This is fixed in the next version)

Kairee

Jul 29, 2019
The original HQM tablet was renamed the TFB Corporate Catalog, and contains all the shop items. Shop items in the TFB Corporate Catalog give you Shop Tokens now, which work like Trader Tokens except for Shop Loyalty, and can be turned in in the [FRD] quest page.

That's what I was missing. When I read that Better Questing was being used instead of HQM, I tossed the old HQM item. 'Heck, I don't need -this- any more!'

Didn't read the item name before tossing it. :) Thank you.

Scottly318

Jul 29, 2019
As mentioned, Energy Upgrades in a separator only increases its internal energy buffer and does NOT reduce energy usage.

As for power usage, Mekanism machines have a small box on the lower left of their GUI that has a lightning bolt on it. Hover over it and it'll tell you the current usage. You can also left-click it to change what unit it displays. That said, the separator uses 1.6k RF/tick(1,600 RF/tick) without any upgrades and each Speed Upgrade doubles consumption. 8 upgrades ends up having a multiplier of 256 bringing the total to 409.6k RF/tick.

Now, the Gas-Burning Generator can produce up to 76.8k RF/t when filled with Ethylene(Hyrdogen isn't meant to be a fuel on its own). A quick use of a calculator tells us that we'd need 6 generators to power one maxed speed separator. You'd still have about 50k RF/t left over which should be more than enough to cover the machines for keeping the generators full. Specifically 1 PRC per generator with 7 speed upgrades, some Crushers to convert plant matter to biofuel and some way of getting said plant matter. I recommend pumpkins as your plant matter. Get a field of 10/10/10 going and each harvest is 24 biofuel(6 per pumpkin).

Personally I'd look into other methods of power generation before bothering with a maxed out separator. A single gas-burning generator can handle a separator running 5 speed upgrades with about 25k RF/t to spare. Make some upgraded gas tanks or use the Extra Cells gas storage cells for an AE network to store oxygen and do processing in batches if needed.

Power gen isn't the issue. I have a big reactor, several (I believe 12)adv solar panels and ~10 magmatic dynamos all hooked into a large capacitor bank. Unless I'm screwing somewhere? I don't understand. I'm using top tier universal cable as well. Got another explanation?

Derp: misread what you wrote. Still think it's ridiculous to not be able reduce energy cost

D

Dinoboy98

Thanks for the info about the scroll wheel... problem is, I play on a laptop... Hmmmm... [starts digging through boxes of old computer bits and pieces searching for a mouse with scroll wheel and USB]

Everlasting2

Jun 28, 2015
Still think it's ridiculous to not be able reduce energy cost
then the cost of producing hydrogen gets cheaper but u can still burn it for the original rate this effectively would likely lead to a positive feedback (using 2 quite cheap machines and just water as an exterior input)power loop
hydrogen already burns for very very close to the cost of creating it (at the very least in a un-upgraded separator) so thats why it cant be cheaper per tick from upgrades

Scottly318

Jul 29, 2019
then the cost of producing hydrogen gets cheaper but u can still burn it for the original rate this effectively would likely lead to a positive feedback (using 2 quite cheap machines and just water as an exterior input)power loop
hydrogen already burns for very very close to the cost of creating it (at the very least in a un-upgraded separator) so thats why it cant be cheaper per tick from upgrades

That assumes you burn the hydrogen. If you use it in other parts of the ore processing you gain 0 return.