[1.7.10] The Ferret Business [WIP][BQ + HQM, 500+ Quests][v 0.2.6]

BLAMM!

Jul 29, 2019
And to avoid the risk of being called a troll, it is the buildcraft quarry.

Which, returning to my point, is much easier to set up than the seeds, as I was playing them. I will try it out with the new information BLAMM! kindly provided and will see if my opinion changes.
If you've got one, place a Reinforced Watering Can in an Autonomous Actuator over the garden. That speeds things up immensely. I go from a single 1/1/1 seed to eight or nine 10/10/10 seeds in about 20 minutes.

Everlasting2

Jun 28, 2015
And to avoid the risk of being called a troll, it is the buildcraft quarry.

Which, returning to my point, is much easier to set up than the seeds, as I was playing them. I will try it out with the new information BLAMM! kindly provided and will see if my opinion changes.

If you've got one, place a Reinforced Watering Can in an Autonomous Actuator over the garden. That speeds things up immensely. I go from a single 1/1/1 seed to eight or nine 10/10/10 seeds in about 20 minutes.

bingo the core method drown them in growth ticks,the Reinforced Watering Can is just one of the ways to do it.
(my personal favorite way is the greengrove ritual from blood magic(i wanted bound armor anyways ))4 essence per plant per growth if u bring them up to the top . then theres the fact why stick to just 1 seed in an automated farm u can just grow the seeds for themselves each step along the way is another seed that can be put into the auto farm (the inferior seed the new one sprung from )

dont u just love mod synergy ?

Reactions: Pudding01

Caigan

Jul 29, 2019
Hello everyone, back from the trip and dead exhausted. Let me catch up on messages, this is going to be a doozy of a reply!

------------------------

I'm finding combat so hard in this pack! The nether seems almost un-travesable..
This is partially due to Lycanites insanity, which is being replaced in the next update by Project Zulu.

Why not just let us spend coins and avoid the currency conversion step?
Because I want the more expensive things to slowly become cheaper as you do more and more for the Ferret Business. Coin to Voucher isn't a direct 10:1 trade, as you increase your ranks in the Ferret Business, it becomes cheaper to buy things.

It's also because some items cost 500+ vouchers, which means 5000 coins. While that's partially solved with the bagging of coins, it also removes the 'do more, get rewarded' aspect.

I am going to use a deep storage for them and cross my fingers that changing is automated or I can send them directly in the update.
Automated conversion is in the next version : You can get Exchange Tokens, combine in an Alloy Smelter with Coins to automatically convert into vouchers.

(Keep in mind, SAG MIll and Alloy Smelter are only temporary until my partner has the time to fork their code into Ferret Shinies)

magic crops seems to be much harder to get
This was part of the balancing issue, and why Magical Crops is being replaced. Well, one of MANY reasons.

With respect though, the start of the EU quest is a third or fourth tier quest and it just feels odd that I am that far along the path and am being asked for something that I picked up in the first five minutes of the game.
Hmm, I'll look over the quest and see if I can't come up with some happy middleground.

would be nice if there was no lycanites mobs
Don't worry, next update it's being put back in it's crate and returned to sender. =)

With the seeds, the player has a lot less choice about what they buy than with the ores section of the store.
I won't be futsing with Fluxed Crystal recipes or anything, it'll be available to you as soon as you find the materials yourself.

I've even gone as far as adding almost all the growable crops that Magical Seeds had that it didn't, and will also begin adding more and more resource crystal crops over time. It's one reason I like Fluxed Crystals 2, I can fairly easily add a crop for anything I want, its easier for me to control it as it has multiple stages I can change to slow/speed up.

Maybe I missed this issues a few pages back, but when I try to auto the creature head crates into the the sag mill it does not go into the sag mill nor does it go in manual.
Hmm, I'll have to check these, though with Lycanites going away I'll probably have to change the Heads quests anyways.

Hey i put my cleaver in my toolbox and it didn't give me fatigue XP. also i would like to say i'm having way too much trouble finding nether ores and I was wondering what levels people have found iron and coal. There's a million sulfur ores and lead ores and quartz ores but i looked for an hour without finding coal or iron.
Might be a slight bug in Toolbox, I'll see about an update. And I'll also check on whether Nether Ores configs lets me change ore generation, cause I'e also noticed Iron and Coal is fairly rare.

I bring that up as feedback for the mod pack maker, as I am assuming that they want people to use the mod pack more than just the regular FTB mechanics
More of my goal isn't the store / factory part of it, but the 'introducing almost every mod in a quest in some way. Store and factory quests are fairly simple to make, which is why its more developed, vs researching, laying out, and writing a couple thousand words of quest dialogue per mod.

This sounds like you are unaware of Agricraft's feature to breed new plants, and thus new seeds. You only need to get one seed of any type and then you can grow as many as you want.
The next update, which still has Magical Crops so it gives folks time to convert their seeds, has mutation and breeding for Magical Crops disabled completely.

setup agricraft spreading area(one crop with the starter seed then cross crops straight away from it ) then go do something else come back later and u got 5or more of the same seed type
Yep, I tested this by putting a 5x5 field of crosscrops, then just planting it in one corner. Come back maybe an hour later, it'd fill the entire thing, and the opposite side would usually have 5/5/5 or higher stats already.

Does anyone know what's wrong for me? Or at least some advice on what information I could provide to help solve this problem?
Hm this is a new issue to me. Not sure, sorry! You might re download it again (in FTB Launcher, hit Options, click Force Update, then go back and launch the pack again). Then add one or two mods at a time till you find the one that blows it up.

bingo the core method drown them in growth ticks,the Reinforced Watering Can is just one of the ways to do it.
I have a video of a previous version of modded minecraft where I basically have a 5x5 field. The middle 3x3 is nothing but Lilypads of Fertility from Xeno's Reliquary, The rest was crops.

Each lilypad basically increased the growth check rate of all crops around it. More lilypads increased it even more. The lilypads also increased each other's tickrate I believe.

Stand close enough to use the watering can on the middle lillypad, and wooooosh, you can feed the world in an hour.

Actually here it is! Its not very good quality, and I didn't bother to do post-processing on it to remove the background noise.

Everlasting2

Jun 28, 2015
Each lilypad basically increased the growth check rate of all crops around it. More lilypads increased it even more. The lilypads also increased each other's tickrate I believe.

Stand close enough to use the watering can on the middle lillypad, and wooooosh, you can feed the world in an hour.

mhm i remember doing a lilypad setup like this(ftb monster pack) the magical crops grew insanely fast from me standing there feeding them growth ticks i was using the watering can and the harvester had issues keeping up .

Gamebuster

Jun 8, 2014
I have a video of a previous version of modded minecraft where I basically have a 5x5 field. The middle 3x3 is nothing but Lilypads of Fertility from Xeno's Reliquary, The rest was crops.

Actually here it is! Its not very good quality, and I didn't bother to do post-processing on it to remove the background noise.

You could probably have a sprinkler from openblocks and the watering can with the lilly pads at the same time to make it more ridiculous.

Pudding01

Jul 29, 2019
You could probably have a sprinkler from openblocks and the watering can with the lilly pads at the same time to make it more ridiculous.
Lillypads, sprinkler, agricraft sprinkler, autonomous activator w/ reinforced watering can, and the sigel of the green grove from blood magic, and if blood magic adds a ritual to speed up growth rate that as well. You will NEED some form of auto harvesting and planting for that setup!

KyunaKyuna

Jul 29, 2019
Fiddled with this over the weekend and learned a number of things. First, as many of you already know, I know less about this than I thought! Second, Xeno's Reliquary is not in this pack, so don't go looking for the lilypads here. Third, the reinforced water can needs a fair bit of infrastructure to build, so more mid game. The blood magic stuff I have not tried, but it looks fairly early on. So the best early game bet for crop acceleration is the sprinklers.

And my opinion stands, not that it matters with the coming changes, but a quarry is much easier to set up. It isn't as predictable nor does it get some fancy things, like blaze rods, but for minerals, it is pretty easy.

Everlasting2

Jun 28, 2015
And my opinion stands, not that it matters with the coming changes, but a quarry is much easier to set up. It isn't as predictable nor does it get some fancy things, like blaze rods, but for minerals, it is pretty easy.

so does this mean the buildcraft quarry is to easy to get for what it does? the recipe can be nerfed(maybe a few ender quarry parts) without much diffculty if thats an issue

NoobsRUs

Jul 29, 2019
Hello all.

Very noobish question here but how do I install this mod pack?

I'm not very smart when it comes to this stuff so if someone could do a step by step guide that would be awesome!

Thanking you in advanced.

darthwesix

Jul 29, 2019
Hello all.

Very noobish question here but how do I install this mod pack?

I'm not very smart when it comes to this stuff so if someone could do a step by step guide that would be awesome!

Thanking you in advanced.
open the FTB launcher click on the 3rd party tap click on add pack code and go to the first page and enter the code

KyunaKyuna

Jul 29, 2019
so does this mean the buildcraft quarry is to easy to get for what it does? the recipe can be nerfed(maybe a few ender quarry parts) without much diffculty if thats an issue

I don’t think it matters anymore, because my initial posting was based on a misunderstanding. I thought one of the major ideas of the Ferret Business was to encourage players to use crop growing for resources. It took up a big part of the general store and was very developed, so I thought it was a core part of the pack. So I was giving feedback that I thought crops were a fair bit harder than traditional resource gathering, such as quarries.

Based on what Caigan has said, it looks like the goal is more to introduce as many mods as possible and give the player lots of choice, rather than pushing them down a certain path. If that is the pack goal, the balance between quarries and crops doesn’t matter very much.

Stepping aside from this particular pack to discuss balance, I agree with you that making the BC quarry harder to create is one option. But it would make resource collection as a whole harder or later game, so it would depend on what the pack maker wanted. If it is a broad pack like Infinity, which has a very large number of mods, it may not even be worth trying to balance, as the cross mod synergies will be huge. (And I should have realized this with the Ferret Business) But if it is a smaller pack, with a strong focus on a certain goal, balancing is more realistic. If growing all the resources is the pack maker’s goal, they could leave out entire mods with quarries, simply remove the quarry blocks or really push up the price, a bit like some items in Agrarian Skies.

But the choice would really be driven by how they wanted the pack to play.

Everlasting2

Jun 28, 2015
making the BC quarry harder to create is one option. But it would make resource collection as a whole harder or later game
the other 2 quarrys are not that much harder to make, u talk as if they are miles harder and more expensive to make

TheRonin

Jul 29, 2019
Popping in to give some feedback...

Without the hunger overhaul or spice of life it makes no sense to have such a wide variety of foods. I really feel this is a problem for the pack... There is almost no reason to make anything more than the most basic food types and it's actually weird to the point of breaking immersion (at least for me).

It's like walking into a candy shop filled with an amazing variety of candy but everything just tastes like licorice.

Personally I've added Hunger Overhaul and Spice of Life and made them quite punishing, making Spice of Life count the last 40 foods eaten (although you can set it to be quite easy to survive).

You could add a whole farming progressively better foods quest line. That's be great.

Unless ferrets don't love food... ;)

Last edited: