[1.7.10] TerraFirmaPunk 2.0 - TerraFirmaCraft & SteamPunk Adventures

OneWolfe

Jul 29, 2019
I'm all for higher tech/magic but I want to work for it which is why I'm starting to like the TFC based mod packs more and more. I honestly feel like I'm working my way from the stone age all the way to automatic and advanced machinery/magic with more and more complexity. Plus the zombie awareness, world bosses, and ruins simply give a catalyst for progress and motivation.

One criticism I could pose to this one pack in particular is the lack of varied weaponry but this is more inherent to TFC and the process in making them. I would propose using a mod like Balkon's Weaponry but editing the recipes to use the TFC processes/materials. I'm a sucker for muskets and I think it would fit into the steampunk theme you are going for. Plus it would certainly help against the bigger bosses and such.

The lack in variety of weapons at this time is not about the recipes. Flaxbeards, RailCraft, RotaryCraft and the Twilight Forest have a huge varietly of weapons available and the recipes are fairly easy to tweak or even have mobs drop. But the issue is a bit more difficult to explain but let me give it a try. Lets say you fight a huge Naga from TF and after a very long battle it drops one of the best weapons from TF with lots of vanilla enchantments like sharpness, knockback looting ect. Now with all these awesome bonuses the sword does an amazing 50 hearts of damage, in vanilla that would be a super godly weapon! But in TFC your basic knife does far more damage and has much more durability as well, so the ubber sword that drops from a Twilight boss ends up more like a rip-off than an actual reward :(

At this time I still have not found any mod that can edit the damage and durability stats from the modded weapons and armor, so until I am able to adjust them the pack is kind of stuck with having TFC weapons.

The Steam Powered mobs do occasionally drop tools from Flaxbeard's and the muskets and revolvers are also craftable :D

Reactions: thebarbarian09

Orma

Jul 29, 2019
Seen a few of the steam powered shovels drop, but they cant dig anything becouse of TFC dirt got certain criterias i guess :<

OneWolfe

Jul 29, 2019
Seen a few of the steam powered shovels drop, but they cant dig anything becouse of TFC dirt got certain criterias i guess :<

The steam shovels should work fine, same with the picks, the only steam tool that dosnt is the saw. Check to make sure the shovel is charged up, some time the ones that drop are completely empty. Next hold down the right button to get the steam shovel spinning first, it really has to be at full speed, the hold down the left mouse button to dig with the shovel. These tools are really different than normal and do take a while to get used to. :D

Orma

Jul 29, 2019
wait what .. spinning .. shovel? .. i really need to look into that mod more lol ..

thebarbarian09

Jul 29, 2019
Oh! Shows how much I knew about Flaxbeard's mod but yea, you make a good point regardless. Yea I don't think a mod handles changing item properties very easily (MineTweaker maybe?) without breaking into the hard-code of the mods and changing it there (which I'm not sure if it's possible). But yea...I was totally unaware of Professor Flaxbeard's stuff.

But while I'm thinking about it, is there a TFC equivalent to his recipe to get his in-game documentation book?

OneWolfe

Jul 29, 2019
Oh! Shows how much I knew about Flaxbeard's mod but yea, you make a good point regardless. Yea I don't think a mod handles changing item properties very easily (MineTweaker maybe?) without breaking into the hard-code of the mods and changing it there (which I'm not sure if it's possible). But yea...I was totally unaware of Professor Flaxbeard's stuff.

I wish I could. For now I think MineTweaker only adds recipes and alters ore dictionary entries. And its big brother ModTweaker allows you to add and change recipes from certain machines. I use mod tweaker a lot with RailCraft's Rock Crusher to add TFC gems and blocks. But there is nothing I know of to change weapon damage values :(

But while I'm thinking about it, is there a TFC equivalent to his recipe to get his in-game documentation book?

There definitely should be one, check the NEI. If it is not there I will have to get that fixed ASAP.

RaptorSB

Jul 29, 2019
One criticism I could pose to this one pack in particular is the lack of varied weaponry but this is more inherent to TFC and the process in making them. I would propose using a mod like Balkon's Weaponry but editing the recipes to use the TFC processes/materials. I'm a sucker for muskets and I think it would fit into the steampunk theme you are going for. Plus it would certainly help against the bigger bosses and such.

Mine would be that every world I've tried with TFC on my server... Acacia forests and Extreme Hills. Other than Ocean biomes, that's about all I've encountered. Had to go through near a dozen maps before I found one that had food, other than Sea Weed.

OneWolfe

Jul 29, 2019
Mine would be that every world I've tried with TFC on my server... Acacia forests and Extreme Hills. Other than Ocean biomes, that's about all I've encountered. Had to go through near a dozen maps before I found one that had food, other than Sea Weed.

I think I have generated over 200 test worlds while trying to get the ruins just right so I have a lot of seeds to pick from. If your interested let me know what exactly your looking for and I can probably find several with almost any traits.

If you have had a chance to check out my 'How to Survive the First Night' tutorial here is the seed I used in that video.
SEED: -1341585045648433466

thebarbarian09

Jul 29, 2019
There definitely should be one, check the NEI. If it is not there I will have to get that fixed ASAP.

Ok, I haven't checked it specifically yet but I will when the .16 update hits the launcher.

Yea, I'll look it into more about how you might go about upping the base damage of mod weapons but I don't think you'll be able to do through a mod or tool. I did see a little MCEdit to change attributes of individual weapons in-game if it would help you see where you would need to change it in code though.

OneWolfe

Jul 29, 2019
Ok, I haven't checked it specifically yet but I will when the .16 update hits the launcher.

Yea, I'll look it into more about how you might go about upping the base damage of mod weapons but I don't think you'll be able to do through a mod or tool. I did see a little MCEdit to change attributes of individual weapons in-game if it would help you see where you would need to change it in code though.

That works fine once the item is already in the game, like in a players inventory or in a chest. But it wont work for recipes or random mob drops :(

I could probably make it work with a custom map!

Mikhaila666

Jul 29, 2019
It is really strange how the Ruins mod seems to get stuck on just one or two ruins most of the time with a lot less variety that I would like.

Ruinsmod has some rules it goes by for spawning in each ruin, and it can lead to some popping up a lot, and others not at all. I messed with it a bunch trying to figure it out.
-New chunk is generated, first check is probably "how far are we from the last ruin we made?" If far enough away, continue
-Should we take a ruin from the ones specifically for this biome? or from generic folder? Usually this is a 75/25 split. It can mean though that a few things in generic biome folder show up all over the place, have to be careful about that. The other thing is that there are two criterias for spawning in a biome: 1) template is in that biome folder 2) template lists that biome as one to spawn in. This leads to odd things. The floating tree? Even having it only in one folder will result in it popping up all over the place because it has a lot of biomes in its template.
-So now we've decided to place a template in the chunk, and selected it randomly from the list. Can we place it? hmm, says 'not in water, not over lava'. If the chunk has a lot of that, we'll skip the chunk....oh wait, we can put a floating tree here, lets do that :)

So some templates have a huge amount of places they can spawn. They'll pop up all over, especially if easy to place.
Some templates take up a lot of space or have restrictions. If they are in only a few biomes, and it's easier to place other templates, they may never get selected.

I'm curious now though about what biome folders generate for TFP, have to check that and see what's where and how it decides.

OneWolfe

Jul 29, 2019
It is really strange how the Ruins mod seems to get stuck on just one or two ruins most of the time with a lot less variety that I would like.

Ruinsmod has some rules it goes by for spawning in each ruin, and it can lead to some popping up a lot, and others not at all. I messed with it a bunch trying to figure it out.
-New chunk is generated, first check is probably "how far are we from the last ruin we made?" If far enough away, continue
-Should we take a ruin from the ones specifically for this biome? or from generic folder? Usually this is a 75/25 split. It can mean though that a few things in generic biome folder show up all over the place, have to be careful about that. The other thing is that there are two criterias for spawning in a biome: 1) template is in that biome folder 2) template lists that biome as one to spawn in. This leads to odd things. The floating tree? Even having it only in one folder will result in it popping up all over the place because it has a lot of biomes in its template.
-So now we've decided to place a template in the chunk, and selected it randomly from the list. Can we place it? hmm, says 'not in water, not over lava'. If the chunk has a lot of that, we'll skip the chunk....oh wait, we can put a floating tree here, lets do that :)

So some templates have a huge amount of places they can spawn. They'll pop up all over, especially if easy to place.
Some templates take up a lot of space or have restrictions. If they are in only a few biomes, and it's easier to place other templates, they may never get selected.

I'm curious now though about what biome folders generate for TFP, have to check that and see what's where and how it decides.

I really cant use the Generic folder because ruins does not recognize TFC water as an unacceptable block so I get tons of floating stuff spawing all over the oceans :p

As for the folders, ruins pulls every biome from every mod I have ever tested in the pack so good luck going through them all :p

To help you out almost everything is in the Plains folder since the large majority of land in TFC is in the plains biome.

Draco_X

Jul 29, 2019
*Not a modder taking educated guesses here*

From what i understand tools have a base material which is stored in EnumToolMaterial.class (or something along those lines) so it should just be a matter of opening that file in a java environment and bumping a few values, to change the Iron tool base damage from 2 to 400. e.G.
That could make atleast weapons viable and bump the durability of other tools, axes are apperently more complicated as the TFC treechopping is somehow built into them. oO
For someone used to modding that shouldn't be a big problem i think. However i'm not sure if that could cause copyright issues since you would have to edit existing minecraft/modded code.

I found a little workaround to craft FSP plates, making most FSP recipes and lanterns way less expensive :p

Also found a issue with ruins, i reckon the sunken barrel/crate/nautilus ones are supposed to be on the ocean floor, they generate ~30 blocks below the spot the console spawns them in solid rock, same with deep dungeons, they just spawn a empty room and the actual structure somewhere below that. :/

Reactions: OneWolfe

OneWolfe

Jul 29, 2019
Also found a issue with ruins, i reckon the sunken barrel/crate/nautilus ones are supposed to be on the ocean floor, they generate ~30 blocks below the spot the console spawns them in solid rock, same with deep dungeons, they just spawn a empty room and the actual structure somewhere below that. :/

I have been seeing the same issue for several updates now and don't know what I can do about it. The crates and barrels I could just reduce their depths until they actually sit on the floor but have no idea why the dungeons are generating those small rooms :(

Mikhaila666

Jul 29, 2019
As for the folders, ruins pulls every biome from every mod I have ever tested in the pack so good luck going through them all :p

not a problem, can't be worse than when i took 200 ruins and distributed them over a pack using both highlands AND Bop. Way too many biomes :) That was about a 40 hour project, testing out ruins one by one to see what they were, whether the still worked, re-naming, rebuilding and finally trying to figure out where they went. :)

After that project I'm always curious how the mod works with other biome setups. My current project is easier. Much larger builds, but Isengard or Helms Deep only goes in one spot on the map :)

thebarbarian09

Jul 29, 2019
So at least they are working on it, but at least it's coming down to the wire I suppose. Just a few hours for me and see if they had it submitted in time.

OneWolfe

Jul 29, 2019
Hoepfully we will see something in the morning tomorrow, or at least when I get up in the morning :D

bremmon

Jul 29, 2019
Nothing updated yet:( At least there is still a version that can be played of this modpack. Another modpack totally disappeared with no word from FTB folks.