[1.7.10] TerraFirmaPunk 2.0 - TerraFirmaCraft & SteamPunk Adventures

Sunseahl

Jul 29, 2019
Is this modpack still majorly "in progress" ?

It seems... weird to have to open lan and enable HQM just to get my questbook
It's weird to have starter quests with empty text(Ceramic quest and a few others)

To be a community pack on FTB you'd think these early problems would be resolved already.... >.>

Scottly318

Jul 29, 2019
A lot of community packs are wip. The developers have lives outside of minecraft/ftb. Even packs that are ftb cannon are wip in a lot of respects.

Reactions: theluckyone17

Sunseahl

Jul 29, 2019
I understand that later aspects of a questing pack would be under development... I've run into this many times. This is the first time i've seen a FTB sponsored 3rd party pack, as in straight-up on their launcher, that had these issues with the beginning quests.

SatanicSanta

Jul 29, 2019
Hey, FSP lead developer here. I took a look at this pack again after a bug had been reported by someone using it, and it appears the latest TFP version is using a version of Flaxbeard's Steam Power that is nearly a year old, 0.28.12. I would highly advise updating to the latest version, as it provides significantly better networking code, decreasing the required bandwidth for the mod, improved performance in a few different places a large amount of vital bug fixes, and some pretty neat new features.

You can read more about the changes here: https://ftb.gamepedia.com/Flaxbeard's_Steam_Power/Changelog

Also the link in the thread is sorta dead. It links to a locked thread that just links to the new thread.

Reactions: OneWolfe

Sunseahl

Jul 29, 2019
the lack of quests is not an indictment of the packs progress. Ihmo the quality of a pack is in its overall playability not in the quests or lack there of. That's why it's on the launcher
Possibly. I'm not here to criticize anyone who plays and enjoys the pack. It just really makes me feel utterly lost and not want to play this new mod that i'm experiencing for the first time when quest that are solely designed to cover basics are, basically, blank.

I'm not here to give the pack a thumbs down.. I'm here to report the problem. I just also pointed out it feels weird to me to have these issues in a pack that's been out well over several months.

After looking into the wiki for Ceramics this is a great way to show players how to store stuff.... but there should be an explanation of that... hell, there should be a whole quest covering the pit kiln before asking you to make a bunch of ceramics.... like what was done with the fire-starter.

A

AlexanderDario

About my problem with the boiler...
I've also tried to create a new world and place a boiler and tried to run the game from FtB Laucher and Curse but the game crash in every situation. I've tried to run version 2.0.6 and 2.0.7...
I'va asked for help in the Flaxbeard's Steam Power thread and SatanicSanta suggested the crash is caused by "TerraFirmaPunk Tweaks"

Someone using the latest version of the modpack can try to use a boiler and tell me if this happen to you to?

Guys no one is using boiler with version 2.0.7 or for you they works fine?
Because my problem seems caused by TerraFirmaPunk Tweaks mod and it's a quite new introducion on this modpack... Can you check your game and tell me if everything is fine for you? Please

Iskandar

Popular Member
Feb 17, 2013
Ok, anyone know what would be causing this:
vo0mCCA.png

As amusing as that is, it is also more than a bit distracting. I'm guessing something broke Smart Moving, just not sure what.

Sunseahl

Jul 29, 2019
After 10 days no reply about the boiler issue... :(
After getting a little further only to be stopped, again, by non-explanatory and/or blank quest I dropped this mod like a rotten tomato.

Won't be too eager to pick it back up even if it improves later.
It's not worth it to wait for the modders to address starter problems when this is a pack that's been out for months on the main FTB launcher

This pack has potential for a harder, more fulfilling experience but it lacks the "this is a thing you need to know" aspect of a new modpack in it's questing format, especially in early questlines. It, instead, expects you to either already know how to do it or expects you to go out of the game and look it up. For a quest pack... That's a deal breaker for common players.

2/5

Scottly318

Jul 29, 2019
After getting a little further only to be stopped, again, by non-explanatory and/or blank quest I dropped this mod like a rotten tomato.

Won't be too eager to pick it back up even if it improves later.
It's not worth it to wait for the modders to address starter problems when this is a pack that's been out for months on the main FTB launcher

This pack has potential for a harder, more fulfilling experience but it lacks the "this is a thing you need to know" aspect of a new modpack in it's questing format, especially in early questlines. It, instead, expects you to either already know how to do it or expects you to go out of the game and look it up. For a quest pack... That's a deal breaker for common players.

2/5

Perhaps offering to help out would be more helpful than offering what I see as less the productive criticism.

From the wording of your posts, you've set-up packs yourself. If you have then I fail to see how you can critique the content when it's clear the pack creator is very busy irl. Please note pre-like on my comments, he hasn't been posting here since 08/02.

Questions I have for you:
1: have you ever made a pack and maintained it?
2: ever written an entire hqm book?
3: have you offered any assistance the the poster you quoted?

Regardless of the answers to said questions, your assertion that the pack requires you to go out of the game to learn how to play the mods? Is rather odd. I would point to nearly all mod packs, and to a certain level vanilla. Even packs with hqm frequently (even in packs WITH beginning quest lines) require outside research to understand mechanics. New mods require either extensive trial and error or the use of either a wiki, YouTube, forums such as ftb and if all else fails google.

@OneWolfe has put a lot of energy pre-quest book to make the pack playable. I'm guessing he'd be the first to tell you it's not perfect. And as I pointed out? Even ftb packs are wip. And most of the developers are able to spend what seems to be a fair amount of time to minecraft everyday. Students and working adults do not have as much time to devout to minecraft. Bugs and missed content exist. That doesn't make a pack terrible.

Edit: grammar fix

Sunseahl

Jul 29, 2019
I never said it was terrible. I said that, as it introduces an entirely new mod to me, Terrafirmacraft, there are things the quests should be telling me or at least help me understand.

What's a Pit Kiln? How's it "made" if there's no recipe? What's this new thing that isn't a furnace it wants me to build? Why too is there no recipe for it? Why are some of these quests devoid of relevant information?

These aren't deconstructive/unproductive critiques, as insinuated. They are wholly legitimate and serve to aid my judgement that I simply can't play this pack. How can I help a pack when I don't even know the mechanics of the mod itself?

theluckyone17

Jul 29, 2019
There's this called a wiki. Oddly enough, there seems to be one for Terrafirmacraft: http://wiki.terrafirmacraft.com

Help yourself. Now, if you need to be spoonfed, then I would say this modpack does not meet your needs and you should either state your piece and move on with life or get busy coding and helping out.

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk

SolManX

Jul 29, 2019
I never said it was terrible. I said that, as it introduces an entirely new mod to me, Terrafirmacraft, there are things the quests should be telling me or at least help me understand.

What's a Pit Kiln? How's it "made" if there's no recipe? What's this new thing that isn't a furnace it wants me to build? Why too is there no recipe for it? Why are some of these quests devoid of relevant information?

These aren't deconstructive/unproductive critiques, as insinuated. They are wholly legitimate and serve to aid my judgement that I simply can't play this pack. How can I help a pack when I don't even know the mechanics of the mod itself?

There's a wiki dedicated to to TFC here: http://wiki.terrafirmacraft.com/Main_Page. I wouldn't imagine there's any chance of anyone being able to boil it down to some HQM quests - there's just too much to cover. You may want to just spend some time playing 'vanilla' TFC first. It's worth it, by the way, it's a fantastic version of Minecraft.

EDIT: Ninja'd

spcsting

Jul 29, 2019
I personally wish OneWolfe would just get rid of HQM in the pack for reasons just like this one. If this pack is your first time playing with TFC you need to expect that you will need to watch some videos or spend some time on the wiki. TFC is too much of a deviation from vanilla to expect it laid out nicely with quests. TFC isn't the only mod that requires external research in this pack. Try learning Magneticraft in game. It is possible, but it will age you 30 years.

Sunseahl

Jul 29, 2019
There's this called a wiki. Oddly enough, there seems to be one for Terrafirmacraft: http://wiki.terrafirmacraft.com

Help yourself. Now, if you need to be spoonfed, then I would say this modpack does not meet your needs and you should either state your piece and move on with life or get busy coding and helping out.

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk
I've not been rude to anyone here, there's no need to start.

Scottly318

Jul 29, 2019

Then my point of needing to look becomes more prominent. It's not on the pack maker to guide you. Whether there is hqm or not. It will always be on the user to figure out the tract to take imo. The tone I inferred from the post where you panned the pack was demanding. Whether I'm right on that is mute.

Prior to giving your "review" had you attempted to google or find similar questions here? Your post (both the first and now this one) imply you didn't. Again I may be wrong but I see no evidence you attempted.

In other hqm packs frequently little information is given. I feel that this one should be given the same respect.

End of the day if the pack isn't for you that's fine. But that doesn't mean the pack creator is to blame. And that is what you're implying.

Reactions: theluckyone17