[1.7.10] Regrowth - A WIP HQM pack - Now Listed!

Lady_Oolong

Jul 29, 2019
I am new to FTB so I'm curious: do you use that lava as a power source? If so, do you use it to power a steam engine to power your machinery?
Mek
I am looking for a power source myself. Per the quests I am now making an oil refinery but all of the wells are quite far from my base, so I am wondering if the lava crucible furnace would be a better choice in stead.

The mods that have early game lava power generation aren't in this pack. Mekanisim has been mentioned but as far as I can tell, it is much later game than either you or I are at. If you go the biomass/biofuel route as you mentioned, you do need lava as a secondary input for the engines unless that's changed since the last time I used Forestry engines.

Air essence in a crucible furnace makes steam and crucible furnace is powered by lava, so in theory that is an option. If it's not disabled, Botania also has a mana-to-RF generator, so in theory you could use lava to power thermalilies to make RF, but the nature of thermalilies and the lack of an easy power storage battery (that I can find) might make that inconsistant.

By the way, the auto-eject of liquid out of the crucible furnace into BC pipes was happening at a snail's pace - the furnace would fill and get backed up. I had to put an engine on the pipe.

What I don't have yet is automated plant harvest. My understanding is that I either need Thaumcraft golems (I haven't unlocked the Thaumcraft quests yet) or Forestry orchards (I don't have a way to supply fertilizer yet).

GrimJahk

Jul 29, 2019
The mods that have early game lava power generation aren't in this pack. Mekanisim has been mentioned but as far as I can tell, it is much later game than either you or I are at. If you go the biomass/biofuel route as you mentioned, you do need lava as a secondary input for the engines unless that's changed since the last time I used Forestry engines.

Air essence in a crucible furnace makes steam and crucible furnace is powered by lava, so in theory that is an option. If it's not disabled, Botania also has a mana-to-RF generator, so in theory you could use lava to power thermalilies to make RF, but the nature of thermalilies and the lack of an easy power storage battery (that I can find) might make that inconsistant.

By the way, the auto-eject of liquid out of the crucible furnace into BC pipes was happening at a snail's pace - the furnace would fill and get backed up. I had to put an engine on the pipe.

What I don't have yet is automated plant harvest. My understanding is that I either need Thaumcraft golems (I haven't unlocked the Thaumcraft quests yet) or Forestry orchards (I don't have a way to supply fertilizer yet).

Mechanism needs Osmium, so mid-game in the mechanist tree, before AE.

For the Mana-Fluxfield I did a quick bit of math (today) and using 4 endoflames feeding a manapool/Mana fluxfield will get you better, consistent, power over the Thermalily (Mana flux field only pulls mana as it is needed in RF, so if you have a full manapool shut-off on the source for the endoflames, there is virtually no waste.

Farm harvesting can be done with the Robots.. I did Golems first time, not thrilled with how it worked, I have hope and look forward to the robots this round.

Fertilizer is consumed slowly, and you can get it with Saltpeter from the nether early and grinding gunpowder in a crusher later.

Sungak

Jul 29, 2019
As the Thermalilly came up again, I have refined my automation design a bit to confirm it was scalable.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-zDeN8o6SKORktyTk1uVGFsMDg/view?usp=sharing

This is actually a better design in Regrowth than the other packs I'm working with; the combination of Enhanced Inventories (for a powerless assembler) and Storage Drawers make the 'back end' power-free. The usual 'tech alternative of TE assemblers or fluid transposers require power, and I believe Botania Corporia setups would work too, but is somewhat mid to end game for that mod. Other than the redstone, this is (once again) relatively nice early to mid game mana gen that can be made semi-passive. My main mana needs are met for now, so this works just fine.

I would still agree that coal is one of the better early game sources of both power and mana in this pack. In this particular world a lot of my early (in in some cases mid-game) power needs got sidetracked into Fuel and Combustion Generators, due to a very nice oil well near the base. Which I exploited a second time once I had reliable access to the Spirit dimension. :)

Reactions: fimbrethil

Shiphty

Jul 29, 2019
Anyone know how to turn off the thing that makes dayblooms and hydro-whatever flowers die after a few days? I think it's a super lame "feature." Yeah, yeah, I know, I know... dayblooms and the like make the mod too easy. Whatever man. Everyone plays differently. It always irritates me when a mod developer sees folks using their mod in a way they didn't intend and they go to lengths to stop it by nerfing this that and the other thing. It's why I stopped playing terrafirmacraft, those cave-ins got so ridiculous that mining stopped being fun.

d9phoenix

Jul 29, 2019
Anyone know how to turn off the thing that makes dayblooms and hydro-whatever flowers die after a few days? I think it's a super lame "feature." Yeah, yeah, I know, I know... dayblooms and the like make the mod too easy. Whatever man. Everyone plays differently. It always irritates me when a mod developer sees folks using their mod in a way they didn't intend and they go to lengths to stop it by nerfing this that and the other thing. It's why I stopped playing terrafirmacraft, those cave-ins got so ridiculous that mining stopped being fun.

From what i remember reading, the mod dev removed all abilities to change it. Something like a hardcode. I also was rather annoyed, but now i have moved on. I usually end up just using endoflame's anyways this change just hastened my use of them (use to use hydro stacks because i didn't bother with automation for a long time, and my computer could easily handle the "lag" created by them).

Shiphty

Jul 29, 2019
From what i remember reading, the mod dev removed all abilities to change it. Something like a hardcode. I also was rather annoyed, but now i have moved on. I usually end up just using endoflame's anyways this change just hastened my use of them (use to use hydro stacks because i didn't bother with automation for a long time, and my computer could easily handle the "lag" created by them).

That is unfortunate. There are few things I like less than being strong-armed into something. If it were an option I might eventually check it out. But making it mandatory in this manner turns me off to the mod entirely. I do not being dictated to. I will try some other modpack as this one is largely built around the mod. Too bad.

desht

Jan 30, 2013
UK
Another way, as of 0.9.1, is to use the Drum of the Wild from Botania. It will uproot any growing plants in a fairly large radius (although not every single plant, so it needs to be triggered regularly). You can then use a hopperhock to grab the drops.

Previous to 0.9.x, it broke the crop sticks too, so wasn't too useful then.

Reactions: JazParks

koolcat_23

Jul 29, 2019
ecEMxgU
I logged on today to find all my baubles missing and a whole chunk of my farms gone as well as my robots. There has been no update since last being on and it was all fine when I logged off...

Last edited:

Lady_Oolong

Jul 29, 2019
Another way, as of 0.9.1, is to use the Drum of the Wild from Botania. It will uproot any growing plants in a fairly large radius (although not every single plant, so it needs to be triggered regularly). You can then use a hopperhock to grab the drops.

Previous to 0.9.x, it broke the crop sticks too, so wasn't too useful then.

"Uproot" makes it sound like it takes the whole plant such that you'd need to replant it. Could you clarify?

desht

Jan 30, 2013
UK
"Uproot" makes it sound like it takes the whole plant such that you'd need to replant it. Could you clarify?
Sorry, "uproot" was a bit misleading. It will properly harvest agricraft crops, as if you'd right-clicked them (as long as you're using 0.9+ of the modpack). So it's a viable auto-harvesting solution now.

Delgar3

Jul 29, 2019
That is unfortunate. There are few things I like less than being strong-armed into something. If it were an option I might eventually check it out. But making it mandatory in this manner turns me off to the mod entirely. I do not being dictated to. I will try some other modpack as this one is largely built around the mod. Too bad.
You're not really being strong armed, it was a development choice. You can still use passive gen, you'll just have to keep replacing the flowers. You could even set up a system of automating the production of the flowers, and placing them. Think of it as a challenge.

Botania is just one part of this pack, which is truly one of the best packs out there. In my opinion Regrowth sets the gold standard for mod packs. Give it a shot, I'm sure it will "Grow" on you. ;)

Delgar3

Jul 29, 2019
Another few tips for those just starting out:

Ancient sand (copper tools to harvest) is almost indistinguishable from regular sand. Look for small circles or star patterns that look almost like a faint shadow in the sand, it is only one shade darker than regular sand...

I'm sure I will think of more

I almost drowned trying to get my first oyster trying to break this! I really need to pay attention to my WAILA tool tips! I'll blame it on the fact that I'm recording and not the fact that I'm blind!

Death_Rictus

Jul 29, 2019
I almost drowned trying to get my first oyster trying to break this! I really need to pay attention to my WAILA tool tips! I'll blame it on the fact that I'm recording and not the fact that I'm blind!

Oldschool vanilla trick: place a door down on the seabed and stand in the air bubble it creates to work at the bottom of the sea without worrying about air.

Reactions: An0nymuS

GrimJahk

Jul 29, 2019
Does anyone have a link to (or own/share) an RF power generation spreadsheet for Regrowth? I vaguely remember (thanks to therapy I've blocked most of it) the pain I went through and there flustercluck that it was spread out all over the place... I'd like to actually have a plan this time around...

I was playing with the Heat Generator/Lava bucket thing I modeled last night, and it does not keep up with (by less than half) a stack of three BioGas Engines and flys through the Essence of Fire faster than I can produce... so that method is a One-off power generation method for occasional need... .. SOOOO... I'm back to looking at other methods... Eyeing the Bio-Generator now, already saved up a few dozen stacks of pumpkins for the crusher... but before I get it all rolling... wanted to compare numbers.

Kazeodori

Jul 29, 2019
From my earlier playing on Regrowth, you were meant to breed the mystical flower seeds. On a server I play on, people are now getting them from breaking grass that they have bone mealed. Is this intended? I was pretty sure you are meant to crossbreed them, not get them as a drop from grass.