[1.7.10] Regrowth - A WIP HQM pack - Now Listed!

• FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

MadTinkerer

Jul 29, 2019
Hmm, I've slowly been upgrading my foci. Just finished a frugal IV & architect equal trade focus and a enlarge II, potency II & silktouch excavation focus ... but then I noticed that the primal crusher with unbreaking III, efficiency V and silk touch is a lot easier to control than said focus. I'll give that idea with the primal focus a try. Though sadly there are no mountains near my spawn. I found some west ... maybe 1500 blocks away. I really don't want to risk creating taint though. Not unless I have a means of controlling it. I should cook up a stack or two of ethereal blooms once my advanced alchemical furnace is running.

Speaking of taint, I got a nasty surprise lately. Some of the Thaumcraft quests reward you with creative nodes to place. In the last quest that gives 8 of those nodes as a reward ... the third spawned as a hungry one.

Anywys, I would really recommend you give the primordial crusher a try. Comes with insane innate repair, way faster than any stacking of moss could achieve and the blocks you mine will be pulled towards you, making for a cleaner mined area.

I found the taint creation effect of that focus to be negligible. I personally haven't seen it create any, so I wonder if that's outmoded information. I also haven't seen it create any aura nodes either (which it's supposed to be able to do), and I really went to town with that focus too - smashing apart about 16 chunks (4x4 area) and then building it back up with the Botania rod (terra firma I think?) - the one that you hold and it fills all the ground under you in a radius with dirt.

I also had placed a hungry node from a quest reward in this latest playthrough. I had to go into creative mode and nuke it because I stupidly put it in the middle of my base. :(

Anyway, I haven't tested this personally in Regrowth, but since it has BuildCraft, it seems like setting up a Filler with a clear pattern is probably the fastest way to level out a huge area. I believe it can do 64x64x64 blocks. It does require some sort of energy source, so slapping a combustion engine down with some fuel or ethanol in it is required (or a battery from Mekanism).

seanbrockest

Jul 29, 2019
Playing 0.9.1, and when i make things on the runic altar (botania, seeds, etc) If the recipe has a rune in it, I get the rune back at the end.

I'm not complaining, just seems cheaty.

OniyaMCD

Mar 30, 2015
Playing 0.9.1, and when i make things on the runic altar (botania, seeds, etc) If the recipe has a rune in it, I get the rune back at the end.

I'm not complaining, just seems cheaty.

That was changed in one of the last couple of Botania updates, by the mod creator. So, it's legit.

Reactions: seanbrockest

Nanimonai

Jul 29, 2019
I found the taint creation effect of that focus to be negligible. I personally haven't seen it create any, so I wonder if that's outmoded information. I also haven't seen it create any aura nodes either (which it's supposed to be able to do), and I really went to town with that focus too - smashing apart about 16 chunks (4x4 area) and then building it back up with the Botania rod (terra firma I think?) - the one that you hold and it fills all the ground under you in a radius with dirt.

I also had placed a hungry node from a quest reward in this latest playthrough. I had to go into creative mode and nuke it because I stupidly put it in the middle of my base. :(

Anyway, I haven't tested this personally in Regrowth, but since it has BuildCraft, it seems like setting up a Filler with a clear pattern is probably the fastest way to level out a huge area. I believe it can do 64x64x64 blocks. It does require some sort of energy source, so slapping a combustion engine down with some fuel or ethanol in it is required (or a battery from Mekanism).

I remember playing on a server with Mystcraft and Thaumcraft 4.2 (the version I beleive we have here in Regrowth, correct me if I am mistaken) and i definitely remember the primal focus creating small nodes ... and, granted, it might have been eerie biome instead of tainted. I can't quite remember that part. Just checked the configs and there's no option to modify anything related to the primal focus, so it's biome changing powers are likely still existent. Just not sure if it was taint or eerie it randomly creates. I'll have to upgrade it and play around a bit.

Ah, nodes ... my past experiences iwth hungry nodes (alltogether I died maybe 3 or 4 times to surprise-hungry nodes while exploring. Two times in the ocean. That's why I went outside of my 6*6 chunk base. I encased the hungry node in obsidian for now. Not sure what I'm going to do with it, since the growing nodes from Gadomancy are strictly superior to the hungry nodes.

I barely touched any of the tech modes, other than building some machinery and doing the quests. I'll have to look into that terraforming capabilities of BC a bit more I guess. I briefly played on a server which had some players that were absolute beasts and they binge played the modpack into the ground rather quickly. There were at least 4 or 5 such large chunks quarried away down to nearly bedrock when I joined.

Concerning energy I went with the rather lazy solution of Mekanism's wind turbines. I have two of them at the height cap at the moment. They are producing more energy than I am currently using.

Edit: I just finished a little project of mine which I'd like to present.

http://imgur.com/a/feW3v

Last edited:
Reactions: JustHeyo

gijsc1

Jul 29, 2019
i dont know what item did it for me, but i already had two of my animal pens turn into a giant mess of purple growth, so something in the pack is definitely able to create tainted lands.

for the botania mana thing, i just pump all exes mana into a mana flux field.

Nanimonai

Jul 29, 2019
i dont know what item did it for me, but i already had two of my animal pens turn into a giant mess of purple growth, so something in the pack is definitely able to create tainted lands.

for the botania mana thing, i just pump all exes mana into a mana flux field.

There is a warp event that causes you to spawn little puddles of flux goo for a couple minutes. Could it be that one of those spawned while you were in your animal pen and you forgot about it? Not sure if it is damaging to animals, since it does no damage to players. Do you maybe have some screenshots of that purple growth?

Edit: I just took my primal focus on a testrun ... and after maybe 15 shots I am now looking at fibruous taint already.

Last edited:

gijsc1

Jul 29, 2019
There is a warp event that causes you to spawn little puddles of flux goo for a couple minutes. Could it be that one of those spawned while you were in your animal pen and you forgot about it? Not sure if it is damaging to animals, since it does no damage to players. Do you maybe have some screenshots of that purple growth?

Edit: I just took my primal focus on a testrun ... and after maybe 15 shots I am now looking at fibruous taint already.

i fixed the problem a while back with an etherial bloom so i cant make a screenshot, but i meant the fibrious growth and not the thaumaria.
i did fire a few shots with a primal focus, but not in my animal pens. the only other things that i can think of that could have caused are my infusion matrix that went haywire a couple times, or the sinister biome the pens are in

its just that of all the places to spawn taint, it had to pick my animal pens twice, and nowhere else.

Masterpandabear

Jul 29, 2019
I remember playing on a server with Mystcraft and Thaumcraft 4.2 (the version I beleive we have here in Regrowth, correct me if I am mistaken) and i definitely remember the primal focus creating small nodes ... and, granted, it might have been eerie biome instead of tainted. I can't quite remember that part. Just checked the configs and there's no option to modify anything related to the primal focus, so it's biome changing powers are likely still existent. Just not sure if it was taint or eerie it randomly creates. I'll have to upgrade it and play around a bit.

Ah, nodes ... my past experiences iwth hungry nodes (alltogether I died maybe 3 or 4 times to surprise-hungry nodes while exploring. Two times in the ocean. That's why I went outside of my 6*6 chunk base. I encased the hungry node in obsidian for now. Not sure what I'm going to do with it, since the growing nodes from Gadomancy are strictly superior to the hungry nodes.

I barely touched any of the tech modes, other than building some machinery and doing the quests. I'll have to look into that terraforming capabilities of BC a bit more I guess. I briefly played on a server which had some players that were absolute beasts and they binge played the modpack into the ground rather quickly. There were at least 4 or 5 such large chunks quarried away down to nearly bedrock when I joined.

Concerning energy I went with the rather lazy solution of Mekanism's wind turbines. I have two of them at the height cap at the moment. They are producing more energy than I am currently using.

Edit: I just finished a little project of mine which I'd like to present.

http://imgur.com/a/feW3v

Looks nice! i specially like the furnace, i have not played thaumcraft after the update that allows you to go to that other dimension, i am assuming that too make that furnace you have to go there? I am usually a tech guy rather than magic, but this pack is mostly magic so i am learning more about it, specially thaumcraft with all these addons ... i am currently working on a essentia distribution system and automated alchemy, maybe ill show off after im done.

Nanimonai

Jul 29, 2019
Looks nice! i specially like the furnace, i have not played thaumcraft after the update that allows you to go to that other dimension, i am assuming that too make that furnace you have to go there? I am usually a tech guy rather than magic, but this pack is mostly magic so i am learning more about it, specially thaumcraft with all these addons ... i am currently working on a essentia distribution system and automated alchemy, maybe ill show off after im done.

Yes, you need to defeat at least one boss in the outer lands. The item you get from that fight can be used to make one of the parts of this advanced furnace.

I'm looking forward to see your build. I went with Automagy's essentia locus and 5 crystallized eyes. 4 monitoring the middle of each reservoir and the fifth watching my wall of regular warded jars. Until it is empty that is, them I'll remove the warded jars and use them to make more advanced reservoirs for a dedicated storeage room near the advanced furnace.

Probably should also start some terraforming, since I am drowning in terra essentia. 367 terra. Just noticed my advanced furnace is clogging up on one side. I'll have to add a couple essentia crystallizers and labeled warded jars so that I can get the lesser used essentia out of the system.

Also, little update to some things: http://imgur.com/a/QGsIg
Added some witchery runes for looks, moved the essentia locus to the surface ... and that marble pillar on the third picture is part of my new anti-warp spa. I've been attacked by eldrich guardians in groups of 3 to 6 ... was getting a bit annoying. Or sad rather, they barely can touch me. The only thing I take away form the fights is some more temporal warp ... their projectiles are sent back by my aer aligned primordial helmet.

Oh ... and I tried myself against the gaia guardian. I and II ... and once I noticed how sturdy my current armor is I even fought 3 guardian II's at the same time. Got 5/6 relics now.

http://imgur.com/a/6T3tr

MadTinkerer

Jul 29, 2019
If you're doing a lot of Thaumcraft infusions, does anyone actually find the Essentia Resevoir useful? I think it clogs up with way too much useless essentia, especially if it's attached directly to an advanced furnace.

I prefer to use just a simple chain of essentia buffers and warded jars to collect essentia, with overflow going to an essentia crystalizer and then directly to a drawer storage. Basically I can just forget about the entire thing and have ethereal essences or mana beans fed to it via automation and always have full essentia (usually I dedicate 2 jars, so 128 pts to each aspect).

I really think that Azanor needs to refactor both the advanced furnace and the reservoir because after playing around with them I just can't find any reason why I'd want to use them when I can set up a "fire and forget" system earlier and cheaper.

MadTinkerer

Jul 29, 2019
I've been attacked by eldrich guardians in groups of 3 to 6 ... was getting a bit annoying. Or sad rather, they barely can touch me. The only thing I take away form the fights is some more temporal warp ... their projectiles are sent back by my aer aligned primordial helmet.

Holy hell how did u get that much warp? I've never seen more than 1 guardian spawn as a warp event no matter what I did.

I've always wanted to try this to see if it works - try killing one with a diablist pitchfork and a blank imprinting pattern in your inventory. I'm curious if the wrath cage spawner can spawn them.

gijsc1

Jul 29, 2019
Holy hell how did u get that much warp? I've never seen more than 1 guardian spawn as a warp event no matter what I did.

I've always wanted to try this to see if it works - try killing one with a diablist pitchfork and a blank imprinting pattern in your inventory. I'm curious if the wrath cage spawner can spawn them.

ussually you get that much warp from idling within range of something that gives temp warp, like a wisperweed.
And you can use the wrath cage to spawn them, its a good and easy way to get lots of auram.

MadTinkerer

Jul 29, 2019
ussually you get that much warp from idling within range of something that gives temp warp, like a wisperweed.
And you can use the wrath cage to spawn them, its a good and easy way to get lots of auram.

That's what I'm saying though... I use whisperweed like it's crack until I get the eldritch epiphany and still never seen more than 1 guardian spawn. I'm kinda impressed.

Nanimonai

Jul 29, 2019
That's what I'm saying though... I use whisperweed like it's crack until I get the eldritch epiphany and still never seen more than 1 guardian spawn. I'm kinda impressed.
I ... kinda ... threw several mana pools worth of mana at the whisperweed and idled next to it. My permanent warp goes up to the end of the first golden part of the meter ... and my sticky warp filled almost all of the rest of the meter ... the temporary warp was off the charts and would have probably filled another bar by itself. I also went in two outer lands mazes ... the first one took me maybe two hours to finish and I farmed a bit in there for eldritch eyes.

A friend of mine also reported getting swamped with 3-guardian spawns now and then, playing on Agrarian Skies 2 ... and I know for a fact he is not as laissez faire with warp as I am, so it appears that just a full warp meter and broken brain icon is enough for the nasty stuff.

Come to think of it, I think I used the whisperweed far past the second ephiphany. I keep forgetting there is no third ephiphany and getting the last part of the eldritch tab takes scanning the primordial pearl instead. That might explain why you haven't seen harsher warp events.

I haven't tried the diabolist fork on one of those yet, but I'll keep it in my hotbar and report back once I got another spawn. spawns went back to single numbers after I used the spa recently.

Also concerning advanced reservoirs: I love them. it may cost more ressources, but I like these reservoirs on an aesthetical level ... also their sound. Creeking void metal everywhere! I currently have 12 connected to my advanced furnace ... one side is getting a bit clogged, mostly terra essentia. So I thought I'd start some terra farming, then noticed nothing there actually uses terra essentia, only terra vis. So I'll have to use alchemy or infusions to get rid of that ... or, what I also thought off, was to add an alchemy golem, a reservoir in the ground, pipes going off of that into a second room below the advanced furnace room, add a directional pipe to it, so that essentia only can be pumped towards it, not out of it ... and then maybe use, directly behind the direcitonal tube several filtered tubes to selectively feed certain essentia types right into crystallizers.

After that I'll prepare another 64 advanced reservoirs. Just made the essentia buffers and warded jars for that already. Just need to throw enough ender pearls and cracked sand at my advanced furnace to get enough essentia for the two stacks of void metal.

Sure, the advanced reservoirs can clog fast ... but if you select the items to melt down a bit more carefully, that could be avoided. I made the mistake to use leather for tutamen for example and am clogged a bit with pannus ... now I just use iron leggins (bes tratio of tutamen to iron used) and drain the excess metallum via adding a stack of 64 iron nuggets to my alchemical furnace.

For vacuous I use glass phials ... alienis and tenebrae are a bit harder to get pure sources for. I use ender pearls and cracked sand, as I already mentioned somewhere in this text wall. So that means an excess of iter, perditio and terra. perditio is easy to get out of the system, just add a stack of cobblestone to get sand. Eats 192 perditio for a stack of cobble.

Not sure what to use to get rid of iter yet, but once I expand my system and add the filtered tubes and a handful of crystalizers, I won't have to bother too much with thinking of creative ways to get rid of the essentia without crystalizing it.

Edit: Oh and I was also constantly wearing the void armor(couple days of real time), so that's ... warp 6 I believe. Plus the warp 2 from the primordial crusher that I used a little bit. Which means that my temporal warp didn't naturally decrease as time went on.

Edit #2: I just managed to get an imprint for eldritch guardians. So it definitely works. Also just looked at NEi and it seems that nearly everything can be imprinted. What doesn't work is imprinting bosses or anything from the pech family except the forager.

Last edited:

Masterpandabear

Jul 29, 2019
I decided to make a little tour of my base, including the essentia system i was talking about, it was designed by u/rocsflight at reddit, i placed a link in the album. The system uses buffers and takes advantage of the suction system, it also recycles essentia down to primals. The system itself is a little overkill, i also linked to another post for a simpler and similar setup, but since you pretty much have unlimited resources in this modpack i decided to go overkill. I also show automation of railcraft plates but the same principle can be applied to forestry machine, you still require one machine per product as discussed previously in the thread.

http://imgur.com/a/SxH1J

I am tried opening the eye to get to the outer lands, i did not find a naturally spawned obelisk so i used to craftable one, first thing i noticed is that it is just the obelisk, i put the four eyes on the base of the obelisk and tried activating it with a wand with 100 vis of everything, i tried with a staff (250 vis) and it would not work...do i need to complete the whole structure like it naturally spawns? or am i missing something? (i do have the page unlocked where it explains how to open the eye).

Last edited:

RehabOholic

Jul 29, 2019
I decided to make a little tour of my base, including the essentia system i was talking about, it was designed by u/rocsflight at reddit, i placed a link in the album. The system uses buffers and takes advantage of the suction system, it also recycles essentia down to primals. The system itself is a little overkill, i also linked to another post for a simpler and similar setup, but since you pretty much have unlimited resources in this modpack i decided to go overkill. I also show automation of railcraft plates but the same principle can be applied to forestry machine, you still require one machine per product as discussed previously in the thread.

I am tried opening the eye to get to the outer lands, i did not find a naturally spawned obelisk so i used to craftable one, first thing i noticed is that it is just the obelisk, i put the four eyes on the base of the obelisk and tried activating it with a wand with 100 vis of everything, i tried with a staff (250 vis) and it would not work...do i need to complete the whole structure like it naturally spawns? or am i missing something? (i do have the page unlocked where it explains how to open the eye).

I'm not completely sure, but I think you need a Sinister Node in the middle. I found a few natural spawning ones, so I never used the crafting one.

Masterpandabear

Jul 29, 2019
I'm not completely sure, but I think you need a Sinister Node in the middle. I found a few natural spawning ones, so I never used the crafting one.

In the middle as in below the obelisk or on top? i do have a sinister node nearby (like 4 blocks away)...

Edit: ok so you actually meat right in the middle (between the base and the obelisk) that did the trick, thanks!

Last edited:
Reactions: RehabOholic

MadTinkerer

Jul 29, 2019

I'm fairly certain that your essentia system would be faster if you just streamlined it so that you have a single line of essentia buffers chained together and then your warded jars (labeled) hanging off that. It'd certainly be less piping and the aspects travel a certain distance "per tick" - so a shorter line means faster distillation. What I do is basically that, but I hang 2 jars off each buffer (one under, one hanging off a single tube backwards) for each aspect. At the end of the line rather than breaking down essentia overflow, I simply just send it to a crystalizer which then just shoves it in a drawer system.

The input is totally automated - I have set up a few eucladaisy flowers to spawn random wisp essences and a golem to chuck them into the furnace input. I also feed all mana bean and natural wisp drops from my monster farm into the system via magic mirror. If I find myself running low on a particular aspect, I just grab a stack or two from the drawer overflow and shove it back into the system - but man, I really have to be making a lot of one thing or doing an absurd runic shield enchantment to need more than 128 pts of any particular aspect at one go. I also have a secondary input that runs everything through a centrifuge if I want to break down the aspect into it's components. I have something stupid like 6,500 auram crystalized in my drawer right now because of this setup ^_^

Personally, I don't find automatically recycling anything down to primals (or any aspect really) to be an advantage in your main system. The essentia crystalizer is just so vastly superior because it's fast, the outputs can be stored as item stacks and you can easily recycle it back into jars in just a few seconds, either directly or via a centrifuge.

Technically I could remove the warded jars from my system and replace them with filtered tubes and reservoirs, but daaaaamn. That's a lot of effort to just go from 128 pts of stored essentia (not counting what I got in drawers) to 256. I guess that's where my natural lazy limit comes in. I'd rather breed bees or trees... and that's saying a lot.

Nanimonai

Jul 29, 2019
Technically I could remove the warded jars from my system and replace them with filtered tubes and reservoirs, but daaaaamn. That's a lot of effort to just go from 128 pts of stored essentia (not counting what I got in drawers) to 256. I guess that's where my natural lazy limit comes in. I'd rather breed bees or trees... and that's saying a lot.

I personally like the advanced reservoir more for it's ability to hold any combination of essentia, rather than the quadrupled capacity. You can also orient them any way you like, which doesn't work with the regular warded jars. (I did try the sticky ones, but for some reason the essentia refused to pipe itself into them when I placed them on a wall back when I first tried them out)
These three differences mean you can store a lot more essentia in the same space. I am about to expand my advanced furnace room a bit and am about to increase my essentia storage capacity from 3k to ... 15k I believe.
They also look awesome and add some nice warped atmosphere with their groaning.

Nicolás Granelli

Jul 29, 2019
Speaking about essentia systems, I have a question: I usually build a chain of 13 buffers, with 3 jars each to accommodate all aspects. But some jars end up outside of the magic mirror range placed in the middle. What do you do in situations like this? more than one mirror? or maybe build the chain not in a single line, but with corners?