[1.7.10] Regrowth - A WIP HQM pack - Now Listed!

• FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

Trisscar

Jul 29, 2019
Heya *waves*
Need a little information/help with Witchery:
Anyone knows if there is a "safe"-way to heat the cauldron and kettle so you actually can put them in a hut or unter trees without burning everything?

I tried the Nitor from Thaumcraft, sadly like the everful urn they seem to not work with witchery. Tried to put an ember-moss below it as well (thought, when it causes fire when you step over it, it might heat the cauldron), sadly didn't work, too.

So this is an interesting thing with Witchery and these items. Your altar has a lot more range than you might think, to the point where I have mine to 14000 due to the things around it (with a underground farm as well though), but I can still keep the kettle and cauldron away from the trees and grasses.
I suggest looking up the range your altar can power things (with or without a arthana placed on it depending on your setup), and putting the brewing stuff on the very edge. You should also look up the range that fire can spread in vanilla, since as far as I know it hasn't been changed by anything in the pack.
Keep in mind that you'll need a bit of room for the smaller circles around the cauldron as well, so you can make things without needing a lot of power you might not have access to yet.
And if all else fails, turn the gamerule that controls fire spread to false. :)

Nezraddin

Jul 29, 2019
So this is an interesting thing with Witchery and these items. Your altar has a lot more range than you might think, to the point where I have mine to 14000 due to the things around it (with a underground farm as well though), but I can still keep the kettle and cauldron away from the trees and grasses.
I suggest looking up the range your altar can power things (with or without a arthana placed on it depending on your setup), and putting the brewing stuff on the very edge. You should also look up the range that fire can spread in vanilla, since as far as I know it hasn't been changed by anything in the pack.
Keep in mind that you'll need a bit of room for the smaller circles around the cauldron as well, so you can make things without needing a lot of power you might not have access to yet.
And if all else fails, turn the gamerule that controls fire spread to false. :)

Ah thanks for the hint about circles around the cauldron. Didn't know that you need/want some of them. (I never really was far into the witchery-tree yet).
It was more about a question of aesthetics than efficience. Wanted to build a little witches-hut with all the stuff (witches oven, destillery and all that) inside. Guess need to replan a bit about that then, especially seen on space for magical circles. ^^"
You only need the smallest circle or bigger ones as well around the cauldron?

Trisscar

Jul 29, 2019
Ah thanks for the hint about circles around the cauldron. Didn't know that you need/want some of them. (I never really was far into the witchery-tree yet).
It was more about a question of aesthetics than efficience. Wanted to build a little witches-hut with all the stuff (witches oven, destillery and all that) inside. Guess need to replan a bit about that then, especially seen on space for magical circles. ^^"
You only need the smallest circle or bigger ones as well around the cauldron?

The circles for the cauldron are special, you'll need to look at the relevant brewing book to see how they differ from the "Circle Magic" ones. As to the hut... While I hear ya on the aesthetics of such, maybe a cave would work better? Or if you really want the hut, there are a couple woods in here that are fireproof I think, though you might have to look them up or ask around to find out which.

Ooooh, idea. Make the hut out of mossy brick or cobble, and the roof out of the thatch (no idea if this is fireproof or not) from Botania or the vanilla stuff you get from 9 wheat. Then sink the entire thing into the ground a bit. And there you have a relatively authentic European hovel. XD

Nezraddin

Jul 29, 2019
The circles for the cauldron are special, you'll need to look at the relevant brewing book to see how they differ from the "Circle Magic" ones. As to the hut... While I hear ya on the aesthetics of such, maybe a cave would work better? Or if you really want the hut, there are a couple woods in here that are fireproof I think, though you might have to look them up or ask around to find out which.

Ooooh, idea. Make the hut out of mossy brick or cobble, and the roof out of the thatch (no idea if this is fireproof or not) from Botania or the vanilla stuff you get from 9 wheat. Then sink the entire thing into the ground a bit. And there you have a relatively authentic European hovel. XD

Ah, good to know. Guess I should read more the witchery books again instead of looking too much in NEI and the questbook ^^"

Oh, like the idea about mossy cobble. Have to test around it a bit. (sadly when it comes to "making things look nice" I'm still a bloddy novice :( )

Thanks alot for the hints, will look if I can make it somehow nice-looking :D

OniyaMCD

Mar 30, 2015

There is a way to make wood fireproof, but it requires something called 'Refractory Wax', which I haven't been able to track down just yet. *scurries off to Google*

OniyaMCD

Mar 30, 2015
Yep - was just about to edit in that it requires bees from the Infernal or the Volcanic branches. I was a little surprised that NEI didn't let me back-track to the bee product source on this one.

MrHeadshot93

Jul 29, 2019
the quest book isn't picking up that I have made a stencil table. I have now made 2 and it still isn't realising that I have made it. I have made all the other components for the quest its just the stencil table arghhhhhhhhh .... please help

rivvest

Jul 29, 2019
the quest book isn't picking up that I have made a stencil table. I have now made 2 and it still isn't realising that I have made it. I have made all the other components for the quest its just the stencil table arghhhhhhhhh .... please help
Are they made of oak wood? I believe that quest only recognizes oak..

Zimek

Jul 29, 2019
is this a good setup for tree breeding ( for regrowth ) i mean will it work ?

the positioning is fine, they can even be a bit further away. in my experience, though, you'll get a lot more pollination from butterflies than bees, so you may want to enclose the area in glass. That way the butterflies dont fly away, but the bees dont think they're underground.

Most importantly though, make sure you analyze the saplings (using the treealyzer) to change them to the forestry version before you plant them. if you just plant vanilla saplings, nothing will ever come of it.

rivvest

Jul 29, 2019
Playing with Blood Magic today.. a brew of flowing spirit next to the altar + the fruit of gisaia = so much blood win.

Zimek

Jul 29, 2019
There is a way to make wood fireproof, but it requires something called 'Refractory Wax', which I haven't been able to track down just yet. *scurries off to Google*

you can also just breed or genetically implant the fireproof quality into any wood, and then harvest it like normal. the fireproof quality is only available from the giant sequoia, i believe, which is unobtainable except thru villager trading... but once you get it you can use it to your heart's content.

OniyaMCD

Mar 30, 2015
Casual testing on 7x7 redwood seems to confirm fire-proof. (I set a 2x2 square of the inner wood on fire and it eventually just went out.) Outer bark passes the test as well.

Jeridan

Jul 29, 2019
Great Leaping Zot!! It actually worked (and I only had to threaten the CPU with my soldering iron once!). Many thanks to all for the words of advice. Now to work on getting back to the server from the darkness that is the great interweb. That path has already been explored, all I need to do is find the path of torches I left.

This is probably a question for the launcher gods, but does anyone know how to make the launcher stop searching my LAN for games? It didn't find to only one that exists and I had to manually enter the path. Will this require a larger hammer before performing "Percussive Maintenance"?
Glad to hear you got it working. If you mean the "Scanning for games on your local network" message in the Multiplayer menu I don't think you can get rid of it. I always just "add server" and point to it.

Nezraddin

Jul 29, 2019
Phew, thanks for the hints about the fireproof wood.
Sadly bee- and treebreeding are two of the things I never really understood. Tried it often in some kitchen-sink packs, but... never with success (even while reading wikis and stuff about it at the side ^^")
So I guess I will go more into the "Stone instead of wood"-path I guess. (or trying some of the natural-fireproof-trees if they look nice)