[1.7.10] Regrowth - A WIP HQM pack - Now Listed!

ToxicFallenAngel

Jul 29, 2019
Been playing the pack quite a bit more lately. Just wanted to give some feedback.
I play exclusively Hardcore mode, so my opinions may be influenced by that.

* Just a tad too many storage quests. Storage is useful, but I ended up with a ton of things I was never going to use. Good thing they gave me the void chest.

* The Botania stuff is always a blast and Vazkii rocks.

* Still think the pack needs to have a mountainous wasteland biome, to break up the boring landscape. I love the blank slate idea, but if you want to create a base out of a cliffside you're mostly out of luck.

* Thank you for reducing dire wolf spawning. My ears thank you.

* Needs some more reasons to explore. This is a tricky one because you don't want the world to seem too populated. As it is I think witch circles are a little too common, but it's really not too terrible.

Very cool pack. Can't wait to experience more quests!
There's always amplified if you want a mountainous wasteland. And TPL said something about a new mod to do the world gen in 0.8. Don't know the name off the top of my head tho.

Rakankrad

Jul 29, 2019
Mariculture provides a dictionary conversion block, I would try running some saplings through there.

I ended up trying that method. Both of the saplings are tagged as Blacklisted, when I opened the interface. I looked at the mariculture configs after that and did notice the treeSapling in the blacklisted items. @thephoenixlodge was that config added by you, or is it a default for Mariculture? If it's default, I feel like I can change it, but if you're the one that added it, I don't want to change it to preserve the spirit of the pack.

Kmad

Jul 29, 2019
There's always amplified if you want a mountainous wasteland. And TPL said something about a new mod to do the world gen in 0.8. Don't know the name off the top of my head tho.
Biometweaker, I think. iirc, there was some mention of it possibly allowing more variety in terrain generation, which sounds pretty awesome to me :)

Reactions: ToxicFallenAngel

McFrugal

Jul 29, 2019
Why is the quarry disabled? It's not like there's much reason to use it. Even in the spirit world you won't be using a ton of resources. Mostly, I wanted to use one to get some rocky bees.

I wonder if the arcane bore collects bees?

OH RIGHT also, I have discovered that the Infernal Blast Furnace cannot make Refined Steel. Can this be fixed? I see no reason why it would not be able to do everything a regular blast furnace can do.

Last edited:

Rakankrad

Jul 29, 2019
Mostly, I wanted to use one to get some rocky bees.
You can get rocky bee hives from botania's mana infusion. Assuming you're starting from modest, it goes: Modest -> Tropical -> Ender -> Wintry -> Marshy -> Water -> Rock -> Nether -> Curious -> Unusual -> Resonating -> Forest -> Meadows -> repeat from the start.

Raetac

Jul 29, 2019
This is my first time trying to use blood magic. My one death so far was a misclick trying for Magician's orb. Killed myself. :)

Can anyone tell me how far from altar I can be when killing things (other than myself!)? I'm trying to figure out how to use the space inside my pyramid effectively to feed things to my sacrificial dagger and don't really want to have the mechanics or caging visible from outside. Pyramid is one large open space inside. Don't care if that's a bit cluttered/kludgy.

Scratching my head over options for moving and positioning chickens/pigs/cows/zombies for sacrifice too. Worst case I can probably do a water elevator inside pyramid, but something more compact would be nice.

Some screenies to show progress:

Walkway from main base area over to Thaumcraft area:
Xfhr9gQ.png

I haven't done any decorating in main base area yet, dropped a few machines, but mostly open space.

Thaumcraft infusion altar area:
CSTEs6g.png

Upstairs Thaumcraft work area:
cdoBQNR.png

Ocean Base at Susnset, looking out over the hydros (100 total now):
G1zSUHN.png

View to north. That's the blood altar pyramid behind the jungle trees. Hard to get good shots of that.
QmnBGDx.png

Cat gate of the pyramid:
TlKWWXQ.png

Looking out over the cat gate of the pyramid from in front of the blood altar back towards the ocean base:
HLXBmLa.png

Better view of pyramid from the north, that's the dog gate. The stone is abyssal brought up from the ocean floor. Black on black is a bit bad for seeing detail.

zqP79pP.png
I like the Infusion Altar, so different contrast of my own which I went for a lot of greys and black

Delgar3

Jul 29, 2019
I know this may be some weird requests, but can we get an early quest (chapter 1 or 2) to introduce us to industry type stuff from buildcraft and Mariculture. Also could you incorporate IC2 in a future build? I know it seems silly but i'm much more familiar with IC2 then buildcraft and Mariculture.

Edit: For the industry type quest I was thinking something like upgrading a furnace into an Iron furnace or making a forge hammer and put it as a requirement to repair Bronze or higher tools.

Please no! Buildcraft is bad enough don't make me use IC2 I beg of you! :)

Bearnado123

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah IC2 would not work because buildcraft railcraft and mekanism all run off RF soooo... IC2 couldn't interact with other mods because it hates the world of modding apparently.

TheGoldCrayon

Jul 29, 2019
I have just a small suggestion about the progression of Botania. I was wondering if you might want to switch the order of a couple of quests, because you can have both the first set of runes quest and the manasteel quest open at the same time, but to make runes you need the manasteel. I was thinking it might help a little to put the manasteel quest right before the runes, like a prerequisite.

Baconus_Yum

Jul 29, 2019
This is my first time trying to use blood magic. My one death so far was a misclick trying for Magician's orb. Killed myself. :)

Can anyone tell me how far from altar I can be when killing things (other than myself!)? I'm trying to figure out how to use the space inside my pyramid effectively to feed things to my sacrificial dagger and don't really want to have the mechanics or caging visible from outside. Pyramid is one large open space inside. Don't care if that's a bit cluttered/kludgy.

Scratching my head over options for moving and positioning chickens/pigs/cows/zombies for sacrifice too. Worst case I can probably do a water elevator inside pyramid, but something more compact would be nice.

Xfhr9gQ.png

I haven't done any decorating in main base area yet, dropped a few machines, but mostly open space.

CSTEs6g.png

cdoBQNR.png

G1zSUHN.png

View to north. That's the blood altar pyramid behind the jungle trees. Hard to get good shots of that.
QmnBGDx.png

Cat gate of the pyramid:
TlKWWXQ.png

Looking out over the cat gate of the pyramid from in front of the blood altar back towards the ocean base:
HLXBmLa.png

Better view of pyramid from the north, that's the dog gate. The stone is abyssal brought up from the ocean floor. Black on black is a bit bad for seeing detail.

zqP79pP.png
Your base makes mine look like...
A bunch of things just scrambled together.

Delgar3

Jul 29, 2019

Xfhr9gQ.png

CSTEs6g.png

cdoBQNR.png

G1zSUHN.png

QmnBGDx.png

Cat gate of the pyramid:
TlKWWXQ.png

HLXBmLa.png

zqP79pP.png

Looks great, I doubt I'll ever be able to make something look so nice. :)

Baconus_Yum

Jul 29, 2019
It crashed when i placed netherrack in the nether over a lava lake:

Attachments

• crash-2015-04-04_08.47.32-client.txt
    20.8 KB · Views: 42

Vonsch

Jul 29, 2019
Kmad laying down the knowledge. :p The blood altar does punish regen 2, but NOT regen 1. Making the magic crops extreme regen potion will give regen 1... for 25 minutes... Should be plenty of blood for a magician's blood orb, even without self-sacrifice runes.
Edit: This will cause a ton of lag for a bit, but you could build up a supply of mobs from a trap above the altar to be sitting on it and then whack like 100 of them as your blood supply lowers from full.

Yeah, I am thinking of going the temporary mod drop onto the altar route. I have a zombie spawner I can put inside pyramid and then elevator them up above altar and drop them onto it so they are near dead too. Sounds more fun that poking myself 100 times. :p

I was originally going to use chickens (going the voodoo route!), but those things don't drop well and they are 1 block high which makes dropping them into a nice kill spot a lot trickier. Doable though, if I wash them in instead of straight dropping them... hmm.

Once I have a basic plan things are easier. It's always the deciding up front that stalls me!

Thanks for the input, guys.

Vonsch

Jul 29, 2019
* Still think the pack needs to have a mountainous wasteland biome, to break up the boring landscape. I love the blank slate idea, but if you want to create a base out of a cliffside you're mostly out of luck.

Dive, dive dive! There are some fabulous cliffs underwater.

I don't mind the storage quests considering one of the stated goals of the developer is to introduce mod not in the "regular" set. We don't make much, we just are gifted a lot as rewards that we may choose to not use. I like storage drawers (and love the compressing ones) since they look good in a storage room. I like the idea of compartments a lot, but haven't decided how I would use them so far. Not crazy about the chest set. Not sure why. In theory they should be fine and I like the optional wood choices. But, yeah, void chest solves the oversupply issue. And the extra drawers get turned into storage upgrades for me.

But on the rest I am in agreement. Even on the mountain/hill wasteland one despite the pretty underwater cliffs. I think the dev has said he will be able to incorporate them with a new mod so that one may be addressed.

Vonsch

Jul 29, 2019
Your base makes mine look like...
A bunch of things just scrambled together.

Well, in fairness, that's the way my starting research base still looks!

I still use it for farming, smelting, and my Elven gate is still there. Shoot, my bed is still there too. It's about 250 blocks out to sea.

Need to work on a new Botania island near the main ocean base. But there are so many other things to do too, like I want to start a village soon and see if I can get the villagers breeding. Never done that before... breeding them, I mean. Have had the odd unplanned baby, but not a concerted effort to breed a lot to regrow the world! :)

Vonsch

Jul 29, 2019
@Vonsch your base looks fantastic. Are you going to make a white pyramid for the white magic too?

I use so much white in my main base (flooring is cypress and the ceilings are marble) to make it feel livable that I try to get away from it in other buildings. So probably no white pyramid. I have some witchery circles (you can just see them in one screenie, last one, I think) near the altar in the grove, but no building for witchery stuff so far. It's all plopped down just outside the main altar grove. Witchery feels more like a druidic mod in many ways. Which makes me think I need my own circle of standing stones along the lines of the spawned ones.

Next time I do one I think it will be sandstone. Redrock would be possible if that were available too. Be interesting for a blood altar. Too bad liquids flow down the carpenter slopes the same as they do down the jagged blocky ones. A river of blood flowing down from the altar would be...well, laggy maybe, but topical.

Baconus_Yum

Jul 29, 2019
Well, in fairness, that's the way my starting research base still looks!

I still use it for farming, smelting, and my Elven gate is still there. Shoot, my bed is still there too. It's about 250 blocks out to sea.

Need to work on a new Botania island near the main ocean base. But there are so many other things to do too, like I want to start a village soon and see if I can get the villagers breeding. Never done that before... breeding them, I mean. Have had the odd unplanned baby, but not a concerted effort to breed a lot to regrow the world! :)
Use lots of doors with a block on top to breed villagers.