[1.7.10] Regrowth - A WIP HQM pack - Now Listed!

Ouroboros

Jul 29, 2019
He 'bit' you pretty softly. It might not be helpful for you to get taught a lesson (ie. search for things yourself) but it's pretty helpful for everyone else who constantly answers questions for people who don't know how or simply refuse to use 'search'. As far as any attitude you may have perceived in his post, yes he could have been gentle but speaking for myself, my patience is worn pretty thin just seeing how many repeat posts there are in this thread let alone actually replying lol, if I'd answered your question I probably wouldn't have been as soft as he. I get it, but... @[email protected];

It's tiring. >_<
This. You, sir, understand.

Honestly, what gets me so "attitudinous," for lack of a better word, is that people can be so blatantly stupid when it comes to these kinds of things. Either something happens and they're too stupid to try other ways to get something done (because, ya know, maybe they're actually not doing something right), and/or they're too lazy to bother to look up an answer for themselves, so they come onto this thread expecting everyone else to waste their time trying to explain a basic mechanic that's shoved down their throat in the questbook, reinforced with in-mod documentation, and which can be learned about by looking at the first answer on a google search.

TLDR: If you're stupid, lazy, and/or entitled, and you don't try to solve your own problems, I immediately dislike you, and I don't give a flying FAQ about hurting your precious widdle feelings.

Desman

Sep 23, 2014
Seems like pipes aren't going to work as a solution in the smeltery. I'm using an emerald pipe to pump molten metal from a seared drain into an ingot cast. Apparently the pipe is subtracting a teeny bit of liquids on each transaction (for lack of a better word), meaning the last ingot cast is never quite full, despite feeding it nothing but raw ores.

For instance: I smelted roughly a stack of iron ore, followed by about 20 aluminum ore, followed by 4 gold ore.

In each case, the ingot cast sat there partially full until I broke it and set it back in place for the next metal.

Is there a reliable mid-game way to do this? I haven't touched Mekanism yet - I'm completely ignorant about it.
Buildcraft pipes truly suck (and I'm so punny).

You are better off giving a redstone pulse to the faucet to make it cast ingots. Some people here mentioned an automagy hourglass that could do it, and there is also the barrel trick.

Vonsch

Jul 29, 2019
You can make a simple repeating clock once you have redstone with an hourglass and a few pieces of redstone.

Other than that it is manual. And yes, it can be annoying if you are trying to make a massive amount of ore.

You can automate (to a degree) before redstone by using a hopperhock timer. I posted upthread one I was using in 0.65. Don't have a smeltery yet in 0.71. Soon, I hope. My 0.65 setup would let me run past, dump in some large multiple of 9 amount of ore and run off. When I came back later I'd have a part stack of metal blocks waiting in the chest. Those could be easily pumped out from the chest with Buildcraft pipes and sent off into a sorting system. With multiple (smaller, I'd think) smelteries, you could even feed the ore automatically from a sort system input chest elsewhere. Or from a B-space barrel (or set of barrels, one per smeltery ore assignment). The hardest part of automating the works would be harvesting the fields... at least until you can do Thaumcraft golems or something.

Last edited:

billybricker1

Jul 29, 2019
Seems like pipes aren't going to work as a solution in the smeltery. I'm using an emerald pipe to pump molten metal from a seared drain into an ingot cast. Apparently the pipe is subtracting a teeny bit of liquids on each transaction (for lack of a better word), meaning the last ingot cast is never quite full, despite feeding it nothing but raw ores.

For instance: I smelted roughly a stack of iron ore, followed by about 20 aluminum ore, followed by 4 gold ore.

In each case, the ingot cast sat there partially full until I broke it and set it back in place for the next metal.

Is there a reliable mid-game way to do this? I haven't touched Mekanism yet - I'm completely ignorant about it.
I believe the problem is from having more than one type of molten metal in the smeltery at a time. If you only put one type of ore into the smeltery, or use the right amount of ore to create alloys so there isn't any leftover of either metal, then you shouldn't have an issue.

Merick118

Jul 29, 2019
So I've noticed a few people are having crashes after looking up recipes in NEI, I've been having the same thing. I crash whenever the server I play on times out, which it does a lot, and then when I log back in it crashes once I look up one recipe. There is no particular mod block recipe that is causing this from what I have seen. Here's the crash log from my most recent crash:

Attachments

Liquid Klone

Jul 29, 2019
I do not know if it is a bug, or my inexperience, but the crucible seems to give a random chance to produce a material that the ingot caster cannot process when smelting impure dusts. Such as electrum or nickel.

joshie

Jul 29, 2019
I do not know if it is a bug, or my inexperience, but the crucible seems to give a random chance to produce a material that the ingot caster cannot process when smelting impure dusts. Such as electrum or nickel.
Probably caused by me checking if the recipe should be added based on whether there is a fluid for that metal or not. Which I seem to add no matter what... *makes the check, check if there is a valid ingot*

thephoenixlodge

Jul 29, 2019
Question: if I smelt 3 stacks of copper ore in a crucible, and I get copperous dust, and from that, I get 1 cobalt;does it break the spirit of the modpack to make a cobalt pickaxe with it?
You're encountering the Crucible furnace scripts breaking. Those dusts are not actually obtainable when those scripts are working properly. You're also likely getting 2 ingots per ore when you should only be getting 1.5.

Liquid Klone

Jul 29, 2019
You're encountering the Crucible furnace scripts breaking. Those dusts are not actually obtainable when those scripts are working properly. You're also likely getting 2 ingots per ore when you should only be getting 1.5.
Oh, well, I'll restart, and throw away 1/4th of my ingots. Thanks.

Also, won't an /Mt reload fix that?

Last edited:

thephoenixlodge

Jul 29, 2019
Oh, well, I'll restart, and throw away 1/4th of my ingots. Thanks.

Also, won't an /Mt reload fix that?
Unfortunately no. AE2 doesn't like recipes for its inscriber being reloaded and will cause any NEI recipe lookup to cause a crash. Annoyingly this even effects exiting a world/server and going into another one or even the same one without relaunching the client.

Reactions: Liquid Klone

anubisrwml

Jul 29, 2019
This. You, sir, understand.

Honestly, what gets me so "attitudinous," for lack of a better word, is that people can be so blatantly stupid when it comes to these kinds of things. Either something happens and they're too stupid to try other ways to get something done (because, ya know, maybe they're actually not doing something right), and/or they're too lazy to bother to look up an answer for themselves, so they come onto this thread expecting everyone else to waste their time trying to explain a basic mechanic that's shoved down their throat in the questbook, reinforced with in-mod documentation, and which can be learned about by looking at the first answer on a google search.

TLDR: If you're stupid, lazy, and/or entitled, and you don't try to solve your own problems, I immediately dislike you, and I don't give a flying FAQ about hurting your precious widdle feelings.
I agree with you, though having a little patience is always good.

So I've noticed a few people are having crashes after looking up recipes in NEI, I've been having the same thing. I crash whenever the server I play on times out, which it does a lot, and then when I log back in it crashes once I look up one recipe. There is no particular mod block recipe that is causing this from what I have seen. Here's the crash log from my most recent crash:
If you will kindly look up a previous post of mine, you will see that I posted a solution that has worked for me. This may well solve your issue, as well as any further NEI lookup issues (I've not had an issue since, and I look up almost every recipe I use just to make sure I've got it right. Memory isn't what it used to be lol).

Kelmey

Jul 29, 2019
I believe the problem is from having more than one type of molten metal in the smeltery at a time. If you only put one type of ore into the smeltery, or use the right amount of ore to create alloys so there isn't any leftover of either metal, then you shouldn't have an issue.
The problem is clearly BC pipes deleting small amounts of liquids when it lets multiple liquids in a pipe.

Yes you can work around BC being buggy and deleting your stuff but the blame is squarely on BC's shoulders.

thephoenixlodge

Jul 29, 2019
The problem is clearly BC pipes deleting small amounts of liquids when it lets multiple liquids in a pipe.

Yes you can work around BC being buggy and deleting your stuff but the blame is squarely on BC's shoulders.
Well honestly it would help if someone actually reported this bug on the BC github. Maybe then it would actually get fixed...

Reactions: Reverse_Farsight

Desman

Sep 23, 2014
seems to be a pattern of reporting mod specific bugs to a modpack instead of the authors :p
Which is the right thing to do, because not everyone knows what is mod-specific and what isn't. The modpack maker needs to see if it's his issue first, then inform the authors of separate mods.

thephoenixlodge

Jul 29, 2019
Which is the right thing to do, because not everyone knows what is mod-specific and what isn't. The modpack maker needs to see if it's his issue first, then inform the authors of separate mods.
Problem is that I haven't been able to reproduce this particular issue myself, so can not make a remotely well informed report to help them fix it at all.