[1.7.10][Not HQM!] Colony [Tech][No Set World][Automation Focus][Spaaace]

pikminman13

Jul 29, 2019
I forgot how strange the feeling is when i can't just power everything with wind turbines from mekanism and call it a day. At least i can think more than just putting the illogical wind turbines on the moon. Also, if anyone knows, does running a pack from the FTB launcher cause lower framerates? My personal pack on the regular minecraft launcher runs a bit better for some reason, and there are at least 40 more mods in that. Not that it runs bad, just curious because i have seen this with a lot of 1.7 packs.

Bearnado123

Jul 29, 2019
I'm not including enderio because - for my purposes - it copies thermal expansion.
(Read: Post screenshots!)
To be fair TE really is based on ore processing for the most part, as well as giving a framework for which many other mods add on to. EnderIO on the other hand is a much more content rich mod with many very interesting and well done mechanics such as its piping system, its teleportation system, and various other mechanics. This being said I am not saying you should change on this I just saw the post and wanted to show that the full extent of the mod is not as simple as the normal ore doubling seen in TE.

Type1Ninja

Jul 29, 2019
I forgot how strange the feeling is when i can't just power everything with wind turbines from mekanism and call it a day. At least i can think more than just putting the illogical wind turbines on the moon. Also, if anyone knows, does running a pack from the FTB launcher cause lower framerates? My personal pack on the regular minecraft launcher runs a bit better for some reason, and there are at least 40 more mods in that. Not that it runs bad, just curious because i have seen this with a lot of 1.7 packs.
Yeah, power diversity is hard to accomplish. I know of a mod - Particle Physics - that has very interesting power gen, but it's underpowered and I couldn't figure out how to make it work at all. :p
As for the lag, I don't know - being the developer, I have a version on my MC Launcher and on my FTB Launcher, but I haven't done any tests as to lag. Maybe sometime I'll sit down with a stopwatch and time the loading times.
To be fair TE really is based on ore processing for the most part, as well as giving a framework for which many other mods add on to. EnderIO on the other hand is a much more content rich mod with many very interesting and well done mechanics such as its piping system, its teleportation system, and various other mechanics. This being said I am not saying you should change on this I just saw the post and wanted to show that the full extent of the mod is not as simple as the normal ore doubling seen in TE.
I know that EnderIO is very content-rich, I suppose... I've never really gotten into it. When I included it originally, it was only because it added power conduits - after Thermal Dynamics was released, I was able to remove a (seemingly) superfluous mod. At some point, when I have an hour and a half of free time, I'll just look up a DW20 video on it. Then I'll re-evaluate. :p
Three things influenced my not getting into EnderIO: an attitude of apathy towards a new, content-rich mod, my desire to keep the mod count down, and server-play experience.
For the first: I have literally no excuse. XD
For the second: That's pretty obvious - at an extremely basic level, TE = EIO, so there isn't a reason to include both.
For the third: long-time experience has taught me that including a mod for just one of it's features will inevitably lead to resource waste by one or more of the people I'm playing with. For EIO, it was Dark Steel Armor. *sigh*
I've had at least two worlds where the iron stockpile was drained significantly because someone thought they needed the Dark Steel Chestplate for a glider (which they already had, from OpenBlocks, as well as a Jetpack from Simply Jetpacks).
People drive me nuts. XD

... TL;DR: I like to talk about my pack in a philosophical way.

OpenWorldAddict

Jul 29, 2019
Hello, Type1Ninja. My name is OpenWorldAddict and I am youtuber and streamer on twitch. Your modpack sound awesome, but it could be a little bit better with a few tweaks.

Currently I am playing a modded minecraft series on twitch call Toils of a System Explorer, and I am using the new tekkit modpack for it. The whole idea of using that modpack is that it had galacticraft in as well as Thermal expansion and minefactoryreloaded. However, as I have been playing it for the last four to five weeks, I noticed all of mods in that pack that doesn't suit the space exploration theme, as well as having no functional purpose. This 'Colony' modpack is a perfect replacement for tekkit, and I am considering switching over (which does mean starting again).

I also love that you are trying to keep the total number of mods down. i've had so many bad experiences with huge mod packs that have just not worked.

I am a storyteller, and I try to tell a story in each of my youtube let's plays and twitch streaming series. The story i am going for in Toils of a System Explorer is that my character was the pilot of a small scout ship exploring new solar systems for potential colonization targets. However, as he arrived in a new system, his ship collided with an asteroid and caused all kinds of problems on the ship. The ship was doomed for destruction, but he made it out alive on an planet uninhabited by intelligent life. The moment he set foot on this new world, the only thing he could think about is getting back out into space, exploring the star system, and maybe even sending out a primitive sos call for a ship to come to return him to civilization.

As i said, your modpack is perfect for this story, even better than tekkit ever was. It is also perfect for play on peaceful difficulty, which is what I always play on because I don't like the minecraft combat system and I don't like dealing with mobs. I would love to showcase your modpack on my streams.

I do have a few questions and suggestions though.
First of all, are you using the latest versions of the mods, such as Thermal Expansion 3, and Galacticraft 3, and so on?
Second, are you using galacticraft planets?
For me, just going to the moon is not enough, I want to be able to go to mars and the asteroids and maybe beyond.

The next thing is that I want to recommend harder peaceful mod or any other mod that makes you hungry while on peaceful, because even though survival is not the goal of this modpack, playing without hunger makes food useless, unless you have another mod that uses food in another way.

Just the like the people who posted before me, I also want to say that it needs Hardcore Questing Mod. With such a wide variety of things in the modpack, one can quickly get overwhelmed with possibilities of what they could do. Guides are nice, but unless you print them up (which many of us don't to save paper,) they are useless in game, and it becomes a pain to constantly switch from the game to the guide.

The quests don't need to be fancy, all they need to be is a series of short and long term goals that the player can work forwards to. It helps to simplify things, and gives the player something that they can focus on so that they are never overwhelmed. I was constantly getting confused and overwhelmed in tekkit. I knew what my aims were, but there were many times when I did not have (or couldn't find) what I needed to finish what I was currently doing, but couldn't figure out what to do next to continue worker forward towards my end goals. If I had those problems, other people might have them too. Having a questbook to give you a set of objectives to work to is one the strengths of hqm, and having it would make this modpack 100 times better than tekkit ever was.

Anyway, I am very excited about your modpack, and want to encourage you to continue to improve it. I plan on switching to your modpack soon, and l can't wait to get the word out about it. This modpack will have made me a permanent feed the beast user, getting rid of technic all together.

Last edited:

Type1Ninja

Jul 29, 2019
Hello, Type1Ninja. My name is OpenWorldAddict and I am youtuber and streamer on twitch. Your modpack sound awesome, but it could be a little bit better with a few tweaks.

Currently I am playing a modded minecraft series on twitch call Toils of a System Explorer, and I am using the new tekkit modpack for it. The whole idea of using that modpack is that it had galacticraft in as well as Thermal expansion and minefactoryreloaded. However, as I have been playing it for the last four to five weeks, I noticed all of mods in that pack that doesn't suit the space exploration theme, as well as having no functional purpose. This 'Colony' modpack is a perfect replacement for tekkit, and I am considering switching over (which does mean starting again).

I also love that you are trying to keep the total number of mods down. i've had so many bad experiences with huge mod packs that have just not worked.

I am a storyteller, and I try to tell a story in each of my youtube let's plays and twitch streaming series. The story i am going for in Toils of a System Explorer is that my character was the pilot of a small scout ship exploring new solar systems for potential colonization targets. However, as he arrived in a new system, his ship collided with an asteroid and caused all kinds of problems on the ship. The ship was doomed for destruction, but he made it out alive on an planet uninhabited by intelligent life. The moment he set foot on this new world, the only thing he could think about is getting back out into space, exploring the star system, and maybe even sending out a primitive sos call for a ship to come to return him to civilization.

As i said, your modpack is perfect for this story, even better than tekkit ever was. It is also perfect for play on peaceful difficulty, which is what I always play on because I don't like the minecraft combat system and I don't like dealing with mobs. I would love to showcase your modpack on my streams.

I do have a few questions and suggestions though.
First of all, are you using the latest versions of the mods, such as Thermal Expansion 3, and Galacticraft 3, and so on?
Second, are you using galacticraft planets?
For me, just going to the moon is not enough, I want to be able to go to mars and the asteroids and maybe beyond.

The next thing is that I want to recommend harder peaceful mod or any other mod that makes you hungry while on peaceful, because even though survival is not the goal of this modpack, playing without hunger makes food useless, unless you have another mod that uses food in another way.

Just the like the people who posted before me, I also want to say that it needs Hardcore Questing Mod. With such a wide variety of things in the modpack, one can quickly get overwhelmed with possibilities of what they could do. Guides are nice, but unless you print them up (which many of us don't to save paper,) they are useless in game, and it becomes a pain to constantly switch from the game to the guide.

The quests don't need to be fancy, all they need to be is a series of short and long term goals that the player can work forwards to. It helps to simplify things, and gives the player something that they can focus on so that they are never overwhelmed. I was constantly getting confused and overwhelmed in tekkit. I knew what my aims were, but there were many times when I did not have (or couldn't find) what I needed to finish what I was currently doing, but couldn't figure out what to do next to continue worker forward towards my end goals. If I had those problems, other people might have them too. Having a questbook to give you a set of objectives to work to is one the strengths of hqm, and having it would make this modpack 100 times better than tekkit ever was.

Anyway, I am very excited about your modpack, and want to encourage you to continue to improve it. I plan on switching to your modpack soon, and l can't wait to get the word out about it. This modpack will have made me a permanent feed the beast user, getting rid of technic all together.
... Wow. I feel like I've done some good in the world. Someone is switching away from Tekkit because of *me.* :D
Answers:
Latest Versions: For the most part, yes, the mods are at their latest versions. Some might be a couple bugfixes behind, but I'll update everything in the next version.
Galacticraft Planets: Yes, but the recipes have not been rebalanced to reflect the moon rocket (the Tier 1 with 56 Storage space is much cheaper, for example).
I do not have a harder peaceful mod or extra utilities mod or such. I probably will not include one, as that really appeals to only a small portion of the modding society. Feel free to install mods like that yourself, however - I know that the peaceful table from Extra Utilities gets mob drops for you, so you can install that.
I am, in fact, working on an HQM tutorial/guide. It will be targeted at the newest of the new players, so some of it will may be a bit of a drag, but you'll get through it quickly and the information you'll get about what you don't know is valuable. What I will NOT do is gate progression through the guide.
Each quest will be a short guide on how to set up some part of a system, i.e. the high oven from Tinker's Steelworks. Some of the quests will have longer descriptions - some don't justify multiple quests, but there's still a lot of information. The requirements for each quest will be the machines mentioned in it, and the rewards will be just a single cookie - most of the time. ;)

I'm so glad that you like my pack, and that a youtuber is picking it up! I don't have an ETA on my update, but it will be fairly soon. I work on it a little bit every day. :p

Last edited:
Reactions: OpenWorldAddict

OpenWorldAddict

Jul 29, 2019
By the way, the link to Tinker's Steelworks guide doesn't work.

I've also taken my first look at the modpack in game. It looks cool, and I see things I haven't seen before, and I have some more questions:

Do you have a mod that makes tree chopping easier (e.i you get all the wood at once)?
Do you have plans on making a map for this pack. It would be great to start in area with lots of mountains and caves. mountains for building a giant factory inside of, and caves for your initial mining endeavors.

(actually in tekkit i had a wonderful starting position, and i tried to move recreate it in a new world in your modpack by using the worlds associated seed, and it didn't work. Either a map for a seed for a excellent starting position would making switching over that much easier.)

I also want to suggest Dense Ores or something like that because it makes your initial mining endeavors easier as well as being more realistic.

Last edited:

pikminman13

Jul 29, 2019

I've also taken my first look at the modpack in game. It looks cool, and I see things I haven't seen before, and I have some more questions:

Do you have a mod that makes tree chopping easier (e.i you get all the wood at once)?
Do you have plans on making a map for this pack. It would be great to start in area with lots of mountains and caves. mountains for building a giant factory inside of, and caves for your initial mining endeavors.

(actually in tekkit i had a wonderful starting position, and i tried to move recreate it in a new world in your modpack by using the worlds associated seed, and it didn't work. Either a map for a seed for a excellent starting position would making switching over that much easier.)

I also want to suggest Dense Ores or something like that because it makes your initial mining endeavors easier as well as being more realistic.
Remember, this is 1.7, it will be a bit different because Tekkit is 1.6.

egor66

Jul 29, 2019
Gonna fire this one up now, it sounds like its right up my ally, will post if I find any issues.

Edit: First off I took it as a gimmie there would be quest lines as the OP setup pointed to automated setups, next the few recipes I checked are all easy mode, like grinder, harvester, pulverizer, etc, it looks like a run of the mill tec based pack, but that said it did run very well even before adding fastcraft, the spaced based mods I really am not a fan of I have done all that in the past in many packs & the fact of setting up a base the then blasting off & leaving it all behind kind of irks me, yeah you can fly back & forth but that takes time & can be buggy where you end up as times, so looks like its not really up my ally.

In short a nice easy mode pack that runs well.

Last edited:
Reactions: Type1Ninja

Type1Ninja

Jul 29, 2019

For tree chopping, you have the Tier 2 Tinker's tools.
For the map: no. A big part of this pack is the fact that you choose your own spawn location.
I probably won't include Dense Ores because in my experience mining hasn't been *that* bad.
Gonna fire this one up now, it sounds like its right up my ally, will post if I find any issues.

Edit: First off I took it as a gimmie there would be quest lines as the OP setup pointed to automated setups, next the few recipes I checked are all easy mode, like grinder, harvester, pulverizer, etc, it looks like a run of the mill tec based pack, but that said it did run very well even before adding fastcraft, the spaced based mods I really am not a fan of I have done all that in the past in many packs & the fact of setting up a base the then blasting off & leaving it all behind kind of irks me, yeah you can fly back & forth but that takes time & can be buggy where you end up as times, so looks like its not really up my ally.

In short a nice easy mode pack that runs well.
Questlines are planned. Don't worry, that's ~halfway done. As for the whole leaving-for-a-space-base thing, there's Enhanced Portals in this pack specifically for that purpose. It'll be replaced by RFTools in the next update, though.
Thanks for trying my pack! :D

Edit: @McJty, you either were interested in my pack and clicked my sig or you have a filter set up to point you to every post with the word "RFTools" in it. I'm not sure whether to be excited that you're checking it out or be amused at the filter idea. :p

Last edited:
Reactions: egor66 and McJty

egor66

Jul 29, 2019
After playing pathfinder to death & learning a lot about RFtools & how powerful & interesting a mod it is, looking forward to testing this pack again later on in its development.

McJty

Over-Achiever
Mod Developer
May 13, 2014
twitter.com
For tree chopping, you have the Tier 2 Tinker's tools.
For the map: no. A big part of this pack is the fact that you choose your own spawn location.
I probably won't include Dense Ores because in my experience mining hasn't been *that* bad.

Questlines are planned. Don't worry, that's ~halfway done. As for the whole leaving-for-a-space-base thing, there's Enhanced Portals in this pack specifically for that purpose. It'll be replaced by RFTools in the next update, though.
Thanks for trying my pack! :D

Edit: @McJty, you either were interested in my pack and clicked my sig or you have a filter set up to point you to every post with the word "RFTools" in it. I'm not sure whether to be excited that you're checking it out or be amused at the filter idea. :p

I'm just interested in tech packs in general so this caught my attention and then I noticed you mentioned RFTools here so that looked like a perfect opportunity to send out a 'like' :)

OpenWorldAddict

Jul 29, 2019
You know I just realized, this pack would be perfect for a Space Race server where 4 to 6 players would race against each other to be first to the moon, mars, and beyond. That kind of thing would be so cool, especially if done in a roleplay format where everyone is playing entrepreneurs on a mission to explore a new solar system for potential future colonization.

I am thinking doing a video spotlight on my channel of this pack within the next few weeks, but I won't start my let's play streaming series on twitch until the next version is out with the inclusion of HQM. Also, since you are adding RFtools, it looks like I am going to have to play Pathfinder a little which is supposed to be a stress-free enviroment to learn RFTools.

One more thing about your guide, it looks like you added a space to put a link to guide for Big Reactors, but you didn't add a link there.

I also kind of new to alot of these mods. While playing tekkit I learned basics of thermal expansion, galacticraft, and minefactory reloaded, but this modpack has more mods that I have never played with, like Tinker's Constructs. I am absolutely looking forward to playing with those mods because they are so interesting to me and none of the Technic packs have those. Of all the mods, i am most excited about minechem, but even that is a mod I've never played with. So it will be a learning experience for me.

Finally, being so excited about this modpack, I told another youtuber and streamer ValsNoisyToys who I talk to regularly about it, although I don't know if she has any interest in it.

Last edited:

Type1Ninja

Jul 29, 2019
I'm just interested in tech packs in general so this caught my attention and then I noticed you mentioned RFTools here so that looked like a perfect opportunity to send out a 'like' :)
So... You DO have a filter set up? ;)
This pack looks SO AMAZING! I am definitely doing a YouTube series on it!
Yay! More publicity means more people! More people means more publicity! More publicity means more posts, which make me happy! :D
You know I just realized, this pack would be perfect for a Space Race server where 4 to 6 players would race against each other to be first to the moon, mars, and beyond. That kind of thing would be so cool, especially if done in a roleplay format where everyone is playing entrepreneurs on a mission to explore a new solar system for potential future colonization.

I am thinking doing a video spotlight on my channel of this pack within the next few weeks, but I won't start my let's play streaming series on twitch until the next version is out with the inclusion of HQM. Also, since you are adding RFtools, it looks like I am going to have to play Pathfinder a little which is supposed to be a stress-free enviroment to learn RFTools.

One more thing about your guide, it looks like you added a space to put a link to guide for Big Reactors, but you didn't add a link there.

I also kind of new to alot of these mods. While playing tekkit I learned basics of thermal expansion, galacticraft, and minefactory reloaded, but this modpack has more mods that I have never played with, like Tinker's Constructs. I am absolutely looking forward to playing with those mods because they are so interesting to me and none of the Technic packs have those. Of all the mods, i am most excited about minechem, but even that is a mod I've never played with. So it will be a learning experience for me.

Finally, being so excited about this modpack, I told another youtuber and streamer ValsNoisyToys who I talk to regularly about it, although I don't know if she has any interest in it.
The very first version of this pack was originally intended as exactly that - a sort of roleplay-able Voltz + Galacticraft, Portal Gun, and Gravity Gun. The original name was Pepperture Mesa - a combo of Blapperture Mesa and the name of one of my friends (with the former term being a combo of Aperture Science and Black Mesa). Unfortunately, most of it ran off of Universal Electricity. Three two re-writes later, it's missing most of its original "Mad Science" mods (ICBM, qCraft, Sync, Mutant Creatures, Portal/Gravity Gun), but Galacticraft and most of the tech mods remain. Once I'm done with the HQM quests, I plan on finding some of those old mods. I'll look for the updated ones, then the ones that use RF (where applicable), then the balanced ones, then the ones without any horrible bugs, then I'll put those in. Whatever mods are missing, I may try to re-make myself - I would like to learn how to mod and make a "Mad Science" mod powered off of RF that supplies all the luxuries of a real evil lair (that means lightning makers and particle accelerators and secret missile silos). Of course, that'll wait until this pack is in a stable position (except for Gravity/Portal Gun, which I found out yesterday have been updated. They'll be in the next update!).

As for learning the mods, I'm glad you're using this pack to get into that. Tinker's Construct in particular is fantastic. My advice is to use the in-game books from every mod to your advantage, and use NEI. You probably already know that, but I never get tired of saying "use NEI." :p

Thanks for spreading the word! The fact that people like this pack is a huge source of happiness for me. This couldn't be going better. :)

... Just make sure to post links to your vids of this pack here, and tell others to do so as well. I both want to watch them and I would love to put them in the OP! :D

If you're making a series, though, just post the first episode or a link to the playlist. I'll watch every vid, but posting every episode would be spam. ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: egor66

OpenWorldAddict

Jul 29, 2019
I won't be doing a series on Youtube, I wlll be the series on twitch livestreaming it. Because of way twitch works, it doesn't keep livestreams more than two weeks old, however I have been using Val's method of giving a tour at the end of day to show what's been done, and those video will be on YouTube.

Type1Ninja

Jul 29, 2019
I won't be doing a series on Youtube, I wlll be the series on twitch livestreaming it. Because of way twitch works, it doesn't keep livestreams more than two weeks old, however I have been using Val's method of giving a tour at the end of day to show what's been done, and those video will be on YouTube.
Ok. Thanks for the info! Still, though, post links to everything here, including your streaming times. :p This applies to everyone planning on doing a YouTube series! (That includes you, @AuroraGamesHD!)

egor66

Jul 29, 2019
So... You DO have a filter set up? ;)

Yay! More publicity means more people! More people means more publicity! More publicity means more posts, which make me happy! :D

The very first version of this pack was originally intended as exactly that - a sort of roleplay-able Voltz + Galacticraft, Portal Gun, and Gravity Gun. The original name was Pepperture Mesa - a combo of Blapperture Mesa and the name of one of my friends (with the former term being a combo of Aperture Science and Black Mesa). Unfortunately, most of it ran off of Universal Electricity. Three two re-writes later, it's missing most of its original "Mad Science" mods (ICBM, qCraft, Sync, Mutant Creatures, Portal/Gravity Gun), but Galacticraft and most of the tech mods remain. Once I'm done with the HQM quests, I plan on finding some of those old mods. I'll look for the updated ones, then the ones that use RF (where applicable), then the balanced ones, then the ones without any horrible bugs, then I'll put those in. Whatever mods are missing, I may try to re-make myself - I would like to learn how to mod and make a "Mad Science" mod powered off of RF that supplies all the luxurious of a real evil lair (that means lightning makers and particle accelerators and secret missile silos). Of course, that'll wait until this pack is in a stable position (except for Gravity/Portal Gun, which I found out yesterday have been updated. They'll be in the next update!).

As for learning the mods, I'm glad you're using this pack to get into that. Tinker's Construct in particular is fantastic. My advice is to use the in-game books from every mod to your advantage, and use NEI. You probably already know that, but I never get tired of saying "use NEI." :p

Thanks for spreading the word! The fact that people like this pack is a huge source of happiness for me. This couldn't be going better. :)

... Just make sure to post links to your vids of this pack here, and tell others to do so as well. I both want to watch them and I would love to put them in the OP! :D

If you're making a series, though, just post the first episode or a link to the playlist. I'll watch every vid, but posting every episode would be spam. ;)
This sounds like the ramblings of a mad scientist to me so your well on your way :).