[1.7.10] Marooned

Spaman

Jul 29, 2019
Glad to hear. I've still got more research to do regarding it. As for crazy, I've already gone crazy making new food recipes for the new crops. So far am loving not having to remember which utensil to use for the various recipes.

Already got the first 4 pages of quests more or less done. Still fine tuning them though. Will probably keep the Nether quests as they are [5th page]. Perhaps make a few alterations but unless another mod adds something new, there's not a lot I can do there.

Still looking for a replacement for Twilight Forest. I seem to recall the the Aether comes with its own loader page. Will have to check though to see if Custom menus can override it.

I thought anyone still following this pack might like an update. If nothing else at least it will give me an idea of whether I'm now wasting my time still working on this pack due to everyone moving on to other more interesting things.

I'm about 90% done now but have a bit of a dilemma. While working on the new pack I got to thinking about how the old pack would have worked if I'd included the new food mods in place of Harvestcraft. This naturally led me to trying it out and I have to say, I liked the way it changed it up. It could simply have been that any change always seems more interesting but I think it goes deeper than that.

Soooo, this led me to contemplate whether I could find a way to combine the original 2 'system' pack with its land and skyworld based biomes into the new 'regular' world biome. It wasn't easy as I had to create entirely new divergent quest lines and then find a way to couple all three together when required. Bottom line is I succeeded and now my dilemma is whether to make it an entirely new pack or simply update the old one as it still follows the same path due to my NOT finding any new mods that would fit into the pack in a reasonable manner and still keep it interesting.

The other problem I'll probably have with trying to present this as a new pack is that Curse don't list all the mods I'm using and may well refuse to list it. Considering a couple of the mods are vital to the new pack, I'm seriously contemplating just releasing the new pack as a major update. This will still allow players who prefer the old pack to download it so it would be kinda like having multiple packs available in the one release.

So here's where I ask for feedback. Assuming I can release this pack either way, does anyone have a preference which way I go?

The choices are
1: Marooned Again 1.0.0
or
2: Marooned 2.0.0

I look forward to hearing your replies..............

Sandstroem

Jul 29, 2019
Ok personal opinion.Here it is: Marooned is perfect as it is. Changing Pams for something else probably changes the feel of the pack, you are going to remove gardens too? Or just change foods?
I am ok with small bugfixes, but at some point I would like a pack to be stable, and not be forced to restart all the time, because the pack owner decided to change a lot of stuff.
I also dont want to keep track of older versions where a mod was in that I prefered. For most players the latest version is the one they play. By doing a massive change in the current pack, you pretty much make older work obsolete.

Your pack is actually the only one so far that got me interested in Pams, because of the way you use it. In any other modpack (especially those which do not even use Spice of Life) it is more of an annoyance.

Personally I prefer Marooned 2. I find it strange though that you cant find any other mods to play around with.

But that is just my opinion. At the end of the day it is your pack and you can do what you want.

Spaman

Jul 29, 2019
Mind me asking, are you going 10.2 or will this remain a 1.7.10 pack?

I'm still using 1.7.10 as the new pack builds on the old one. I might look into making a new pack using 10.2 or whatever the latest version is at the time but as I wasn't quite done with playing around with 1.7.10, i stayed with it.

Spaman

Jul 29, 2019
Ok personal opinion.Here it is: Marooned is perfect as it is. Changing Pams for something else probably changes the feel of the pack, you are going to remove gardens too? Or just change foods?
I am ok with small bugfixes, but at some point I would like a pack to be stable, and not be forced to restart all the time, because the pack owner decided to change a lot of stuff.
I also dont want to keep track of older versions where a mod was in that I prefered. For most players the latest version is the one they play. By doing a massive change in the current pack, you pretty much make older work obsolete.

Your pack is actually the only one so far that got me interested in Pams, because of the way you use it. In any other modpack (especially those which do not even use Spice of Life) it is more of an annoyance.

Personally I prefer Marooned 2. I find it strange though that you cant find any other mods to play around with.

But that is just my opinion. At the end of the day it is your pack and you can do what you want.

I do understand what you're saying with regards to Pam's and that is one of the reasons I am not sure whether I should replace it. On the other hand, I always would have preferred to have had less crops and although I could have just excluded some of the gardens and perhaps even removed the trees altogether, there would still have been a heap of food recipes showing that players couldn't make. If you ever played the earliest versions, there were actually only 8 fruit tree varieties available, but somewhere along the line I wound up including them all.

My personal choice would be to just make it Marooned Again with a similar quest line to the end but with oh so many changes along the way. My problem here could be that I won't be able to get it onto curse due to using a couple of lesser known mods that I haven't found on the Curse 'allowable' list. From what I can gather, if you use a mod they haven't approved, your pack is rejected and you either have to remove that mod(s) or hope it eventually finds its way onto the approval list. these 2 mods are crucial to the new food system btw.

So if it turns out I simply cannot get the new pack approved, and its not possible for me to do a workaround that meets with their standards, I might be forced to do an update anyway.

As for other mods, I played around with heaps of them but for the most part I would have been adding them just for the sake of having something new that didn't really add anything that enhanced the actual pack or its flow. There was a mod came out waaay back that had a progression system to build an ever increasing castle area that I would have happily included but alas, its not being supported or updated anymore and stopped before 1.7.10 came along.

Although the Aether is a fine mod with heaps of things to do, I couldn't really find a way to fit it into the pack without it affecting other areas of the pack, well not easily anyway. I might still try working it in at some stage, but for now I've been busy wrapping my head around finding a way to have a regular minecraft world live alongside the existing sky platform and flat worlds.

Thanks for your prompt feedback, I'll take it under consideration. To some extent my final decision will probably be in the hands of Curse.

Spaman

Jul 29, 2019
btw any chance of this modpack being available on the curse launcher? can`t find it and on the curse launcher i cannot enter pack codes

Funny you should mention this, I was thinking I might try and get the original Marooned on the Curse Launcher while I'm still working on the new pack. I'll let you know if I manage to get it done sometime..........

cannajan

Jul 29, 2019
btw any chance of this modpack being available on the curse launcher? can`t find it and on the curse launcher i cannot enter pack codes
you can still get the old launcher

FTB launcher is available here - https://www.feed-the-beast.com/
You have to choose the legacy windows option which is underneath the big orange button
then you can choose pack codes, if marooned isnt listed?

Think I'd be more into playing the new changes, but I'm not very active atm

Last edited:

Sandstroem

Jul 29, 2019
Thank you for your response to my response. If the new food mod also allows for seeds and less stuff, but plays similar, of course that would be a choice for just replacing Pams. And honestly, I dont need trees. :D

Spaman

Jul 29, 2019
Thank you for your response to my response. If the new food mod also allows for seeds and less stuff, but plays similar, of course that would be a choice for just replacing Pams. And honestly, I dont need trees. :D

Actually you do need trees, just not fruit trees lol.
But it does go a little deeper than that. I'll put it in a Spoiler to save space.

Where to start. Firstly as I mentioned in an earlier post, I wanted to simplify the making of food recipes by having what I now call a 'Kitchen Wizz' replace the 7 Pam's utensils, thus removing the need to 'remember' which one is required and also hunting around trying to find where you last left it. I also wanted to make better use of the oven and sink from the 'Cooking for Blockheads' mod as they're quite useful. I also wanted to reduce the number of crops to grow as it can reach a point where you feel like there's just too many varieties, especially when some of them are hardly usable in recipes.

If you've ever played around with the Harvester, you might have noticed that it has a capacity to 'divide' the crops area into 9 sections. Not very useful when you have dozens and dozens of crops to grow though. To this end there are only 9 new crops that can only be planted on tilled soil. All have many uses for recipe making and yes they drop seeds too.

Then there's the 'vanilla' crops along with a new crop from Fast Foods that can be planted on tilled soil but also on fertile soil which doesn't need tilling or water nearby that can be obtained in a repeatable quest very early in the game. Well reasonably early depending on how much iron you manage to get. It was originally tomatoes, but I changed it to Frankincense so that it didn't get confused with the new custom crops with regards to its planting options.

There's a lot more but I don't want to spoil the surprises that the new pack has to offer.

Hopefully the new pack won't disappoint. Its still not ready as I keep coming across quests that need tweaking in some small way. Sometimes the wrong one pops up that's meant to only be active in another biome. Kinda hard to explain but if you thought it might have been difficult to meld 2 different quest lines into the book, imagine trying it with three and within that three, occasionally having a crossover for one of the biomes that requires a different approach to obtaining something.

Cheers.........

Spaman

Jul 29, 2019
you can still get the old launcher

FTB launcher is available here - https://www.feed-the-beast.com/
You have to choose the legacy windows option which is underneath the big orange button
then you can choose pack codes, if marooned isnt listed?

Think I'd be more into playing the new changes, but I'm not very active atm

Thanks for letting players know about the legacy section cannajan. Your posts are always very helpful an I'm glad to see you're still checking in here every now and then. I hope the 'not very active' refers only to playing Marooned.........

I keep going online and reading about how to put a pack on Curse but for some reason it just seems rather complicated. Every time I try to check out the 'acceptable ' mods that can be used, I seem to only be able to bring up another area that either doesn't contain all the mods, or if I'm looking at the right list, then most of the mods the existing Marooned contains aren't listed.

Shadow-

Jul 29, 2019
Alright, I originally played, enjoyed and mostly finished this pack back in 1.3 or 1.4 but have started a 1.5.4
I choose Ice plains.

1 - How do I get animals? I have a 15x15 grass platform and nothing. (I have chickens, but from jockeys not spawns.)
I've ignored the SPUD and gone about 375 blocks away and used a fenced platform for a base.
2 - The Steam Locomotive quest would not finish (Survival 101, Steaming Ahead.) I hqm edited it. I made the steam locomotive id#4444 but it wouldn't accept it.

can't remember my other question, but still liking the pack.

Sandstroem

Jul 29, 2019
Also on another playthrough right now and I just totally noticed that the SPUD is not symmetrical at all, argh :D

You probably need a bigger grass platform there. I am currently on a savannah and I had like 1 Sheep so far.

OniyaMCD

Mar 30, 2015
I don't know that most peaceful mobs naturally spawn in Ice Plains. Minecraft Wiki only indicated 'white and some black and white Rabbits'.

Spaman

Jul 29, 2019
Alright, I originally played, enjoyed and mostly finished this pack back in 1.3 or 1.4 but have started a 1.5.4
I choose Ice plains.

1 - How do I get animals? I have a 15x15 grass platform and nothing. (I have chickens, but from jockeys not spawns.)
I've ignored the SPUD and gone about 375 blocks away and used a fenced platform for a base.
2 - The Steam Locomotive quest would not finish (Survival 101, Steaming Ahead.) I hqm edited it. I made the steam locomotive id#4444 but it wouldn't accept it.

can't remember my other question, but still liking the pack.

Good to hear someone is still playing the old pack. Animals should spawn in the Ice Plains. I recall them spawning when I was playing that biome. IT does seem hit and miss as to how long it can take though. Hopefully they will emerge sooner rather than later.

Its been so long since I've even looked at the 'Steaming Ahead' quest that I can't really recall all of it. Not sure why the locomotive didn't trigger as I think there's only one that can be done. I do recall doing it and having it work for me. When I return to my home I'll be sure to try it again to make sure it still works. If not I'll fix it as I'm in the process of organizing a release of version 1.5.5 directly onto Curse. Its primarily unchanged from 1.5.4 apart from a couple of food recipes that didn't trigger properly for food reduction. I might also update the TF portals to make them impossible to enter until the required quest has been completed. This has already been done for the upcoming 'Marooned Again' pack that should be ready for release shortly after the 1.5.5 update has been successfully uploaded.

Let me know if you remember your other question. It might take me a while to answer though as I'm in the process of moving and Marooned has taken something of a back seat for that last couple of weeks.

Spaman

Jul 29, 2019
Also on another playthrough right now and I just totally noticed that the SPUD is not symmetrical at all, argh :D

You probably need a bigger grass platform there. I am currently on a savannah and I had like 1 Sheep so far.

I'm not symmetrical as well but I did try to make it as symmetrical as a spud that has even and odd sections that I had to try to merge into one cohesive unit.

Think of the fun you'll have when the new pack comes out with each biome having its own individualized SPUD being symmetrical or otherwise to drive you crazy?

Spaman

Jul 29, 2019
I don't know that most peaceful mobs naturally spawn in Ice Plains. Minecraft Wiki only indicated 'white and some black and white Rabbits'.

I tested each biome in the pack to make sure they were capable of spawning peaceful animals so in every case its just a matter of giving them enough time to spawn. It tends to be a random thing as I've sometimes had animals spawn while I was still building a fence aound the grass and other times its taken what seemed like forever to get them.

Sandstroem

Jul 29, 2019
So you introduced the SPUD again? And here I was hoping to bring your pack to our network :p

Besides that, I am excited for Marooned Again. When it comes to 1.7 HQM packs, I think that Marooned can effortlessly compete with wider known packs such as for example Regrowth. And bringing it to the Curse Launcher is a good thing.

Spaman

Jul 29, 2019
So you introduced the SPUD again? And here I was hoping to bring your pack to our network :p

Besides that, I am excited for Marooned Again. When it comes to 1.7 HQM packs, I think that Marooned can effortlessly compete with wider known packs such as for example Regrowth. And bringing it to the Curse Launcher is a good thing.

Yes and no on the SPUD. The primary new biomes which are regular worlds don't actually have a SPUD. They do however have a couple of included TF portals that eventually open up to allow access. This was needed to slot into the existing skyworld and flat world biomes.

The reason for two portals in the new regular worlds is to allow for the possibility that one of them could get blown up by a sneaky creeper. Let both get blown up and you'll be up for a restart for being so careless....

Unless I find a way to incorporate the Aether seemlessly into the pack, I'm still including the TF for ppl who might only ever play the new pack and not the old one. So far I've trialed all three different types of worlds and apart from having to restart them on some occasions due to my altering some quests in such a way that requires a complete new world to be made, I'm kinda liking the way they now play. They're all different enough from the original pack, at least the first half of their playthrough's, that it doesn't feel like a thinly veiled reconstruct of the original.

It would have been ready if not for the fact I had a friend move house who needed help and now I'm also moving shortly so will be preoccupied for while until I get settled. I'm not even at my computer atm so using a friends laptop.

Elder Sign has once again volunteered to try to break the new pack in his usual fiendish style once I am able to send him a copy. I'll try to do this during the next week or two to see if he thinks its different enough to warrant publishing. There's no doubt I'll probably still need to make some changes but it will be good to get his feedback.

As for getting onto Curse, Sir JAH has assured me he can do it, I just need to make sure the 1.5.5 update is fully ready for play. It kinda was until the steam train problem, so I'll need to check that our first before handing over the update to him.

Reactions: cannajan
E

Elder Sign

So anyways, Hype time, Spaman has graciously given me a copy of the latest installment of Marooned and I will be doing my usual shenanigans attempting to break all the hard work out into this pack. c:

First episode will be out later today.