[1.7.10] Marooned

Spaman

Jul 29, 2019
Not just from the wells, at least in 1.5.0 I could get access to the "dust"-level from a ruin.

I think my friend (more like an online MC friend, not reallife) already quit. We usually play on MyM together and when we met I was in Teamspeak, I was just playing Marooned. Since I had been talking about this pack for weeks, I finally got him to check it out. Unfortunately he is one of those lazy guys refusing to read quest texts (quote: "Nobody reads quest texts"), which kinda made me angry, especially when he started to ask dumb questions. :D

I already suggested your pack on MyM, but with the introduction of the SPUD it has even become more complicated to host it on a multiplayer server. Usually the best packs for those kind of servers come with no specific worldgen bound to the player (questgates, stuff like that). Then again, there are a lot of successful packs which are fine as they are and can't easily be hosted on those kind of networks. (Blightfall, most of the Material Energy packs, Void world, just to name a few)

I wouldn't worry about ppl not reading quests. It seems to be human nature that we only resort to reading instructions as a last resort when all else fails, even sometimes only after asking others for help. I've also noticed that some quest packs only really give detailed help in the first few quests. After that it basically becomes make this or that whether it has a practical use or not just to give you something to do. So it would only be natural to expect this pack to be similar.

I did wonder how a pack that's basically designed to be an adventure quest with defined goals for progression would translate onto a multiplayer server. I basically designed it as a one or two player challenge. After that it would just become too easy to complete.

I'm glad to hear you're promoting the pack, even if they don't take up the challenge, or drop out early due to not having read the quests and struggling too much as a consequence. But that's their choice. Life is all about choices and sometimes we succeed and other times........

Sandstroem

Jul 29, 2019
I don't know exactly whether it works on a network or not. You are right, that a group of people could finish it probably quite fast. The pack itself does have a medium amount of mods and the forced progression is the thing that makes it appear quite long, especially in the beginning, because you can't just shortcut your way into endgame. But we have people on the network who finish packs like Regrowth in a week, so it is up to every one himself to decide whether he just wants to do the quest or even build some things.

Usually we have some kind of farmworld, which resets on a monthly basis. I think that would work also here, so that people could redo the dungeons and find the loot.
Besides from the singleplayer specific things like SPUD, position dependent quests (which could probably be adjusted), the biggest issue I didn't think of yesterday is Twilight Forest. Since it caused some performance issues when people were flying through the forest, that dimension was disabled some months ago on all packs and alternative recipes for the most important stuff were introduced. But of course the TF is a important part of this pack.

As I said, some packs are not meant to be on a big network and it doesn't make sense to force them if they are good already.

Just out of curiousity: Do you have already plans/ideas for your next pack?

Spaman

Jul 29, 2019
I don't know exactly whether it works on a network or not. You are right, that a group of people could finish it probably quite fast. The pack itself does have a medium amount of mods and the forced progression is the thing that makes it appear quite long, especially in the beginning, because you can't just shortcut your way into endgame. But we have people on the network who finish packs like Regrowth in a week, so it is up to every one himself to decide whether he just wants to do the quest or even build some things.

Usually we have some kind of farmworld, which resets on a monthly basis. I think that would work also here, so that people could redo the dungeons and find the loot.
Besides from the singleplayer specific things like SPUD, position dependent quests (which could probably be adjusted), the biggest issue I didn't think of yesterday is Twilight Forest. Since it caused some performance issues when people were flying through the forest, that dimension was disabled some months ago on all packs and alternative recipes for the most important stuff were introduced. But of course the TF is a important part of this pack.

As I said, some packs are not meant to be on a big network and it doesn't make sense to force them if they are good already.

Just out of curiousity: Do you have already plans/ideas for your next pack?

I've already started work on the next installment of Marooned that I'm tentatively calling Marooned Again.
Its still early days but I'll include a spoiler to give you a brief outline of what I've done so far.

I've so far removed Pams and Exnhilo for this pack as I thought mining ores [after you've grown enough ore berries] would make a nice change from sifting. I've brought Agricraft into greater focus with the introduction of 10 new food crops and one new non food crop. This allowed me to have all new recipes and dispense entirely with fruit trees to allow ppl to concentrate on just growing crops.

One thing that always bugged me was having 7 kitchen utensils just to prepare food. I've decided to reduce that to a single 'Kitchen Wizz' that does the job of all of them. That allows the player to have a crafting station set aside for food preparation with the kitchen wizz left permanently in it.

I've also introduced the Natura fruit berries into the game with all new recipes for them.

I had to make ways to get clay, dirt, minecraft saplings and grass seeds to allow for expansion.

The SPUD has been adjusted. The intermediate level is gone as there is no longer an intermediate level in the world.

Lots of testing and quest making still to be done, but I'm hopeful this will be different enough in its game play to make it a worthwhile addition.

I'm also testing some new mods for possible inclusion. Got one that I like so far, that has already been included in it.

One thing I'd like your opinion on is whether I should include eating and drinking sounds in the new foods, as Custom Items gives me that choice.

Cheers....

Sandstroem

Jul 29, 2019
You could just make us craft all the kitchen items and then if you combine them together you get the kitchen wizz, so the original utils would still be there and in quests and then you get the wizz at the end to make life simpler

So I guess this is going to be a successor, but still in 1.7.10 and not just an update, right?

Since you haven't used AE2 in Marooned, which is nice for a change, you could do what Regrowth should have done in the first place: Include Logistics Pipes (instead of AE2). If you don't know the mod, it basically expands on Buildcraft, uses pipes to allow for a storage system which basically connects all your chests, drawers, barrels and so on and gives access from a terminal. It also gives the ability to do autocrafting. It is a bit more complex to set up and not just a one block solution like AE2.

About your last question, using more sounds is always a nice change and makes MC feel more interesting. Unless it comes with performance issues. But then again, not everyone is like @Elder Sign who obsesses about his frame rates on a 5-minute basis. :D

OniyaMCD

Mar 30, 2015
One thing I'd like your opinion on is whether I should include eating and drinking sounds in the new foods, as Custom Items gives me that choice.

Cheers....

If a thing looks like a drink, it should sound like a drink. It always seemed hilariously out of place when you'd get a cup of coffee in Pam's and it sounded like you were chewing it. I mean, I like my coffee strong, but... ;D

Swat_Raptor

Jul 29, 2019
I like the idea of there being a multi player server for Marooned similar to Crash Landing MYM server, but this isn't a huge issue, would make playing as a group easier obviously.

it would certainly be significantly easier with 2-3 players, however this is probably fine because alot of groups want to see progress because they have more time limits and scheduling conflicts, also Marooned isn't all about difficulty (you do get a healthy amount of lives), you could still compete with other groups to see who gets to the winner circle the fastest.

Correct me if I missed something but none of the quest require you to actually interact with the Spud site correct, everything can be found in other dungeons.

I don't know about you guys but I almost always look at premade structures and go off to make my base else where because I don't like the dimensions or aesthetic of the place.

Last edited:

Spaman

Jul 29, 2019
I like the idea of there being a multi player server for Marooned similar to Crash Landing MYM server, but this isn't a huge issue, would make playing as a group easier obviously.

it would certainly be significantly easier with 2-3 players, however this is probably fine because alot of groups want to see progress because they have more time limits and scheduling conflicts, also Marooned isn't all about difficulty (you do get a healthy amount of lives), you could still compete with other groups to see who gets to the winner circle the fastest.

Correct me if I missed something but none of the quest require you to actually interact with the Spud site correct, everything can be found in other dungeons.

I don't know about you guys but I almost always look at premade structures and go off to make my base else where because I don't like the dimensions or aesthetic of the place.

Firstly I find it difficult to believe you could possibly not like the dimensions or aesthetic of the SPUD, and I'm completely 100% unbiased.

Okay 98% unbiased.

Well, would you believe 90%?

Alright, so I'm a little bit unbiased.

Still not convinced? Okay I'll concede to maybe 50% unbiased.

Alright alright, so I'm completely 100% biased so my opinion is null and void.

But, putting that aspect aside, you still need to interact with the SPUD as that's where the only working TF portal is now located. Of course you really only need to use it to get there and back. No one forces you to use it for any other purpose which is totally fine. I dislike being told I have to make my base somewhere specific too. That's why the SPUD is underground, so it can remain an option for those players that want to make their base there.

While we're on the subject of portals. What do players think of the Aether as an alternative to the TF in the sequel?

Sandstroem

Jul 29, 2019
The way that Crash Landing works on MyM is that it works similar to a skyblock. When someone enters the game, he starts an "island", gets a location and the whole starter base is copied there. Everything in a 8 chunk radius I think is then protected. But there is nothing else in the Overworld, so this system works perfectly. The cities are located in another dimension, which you get to using a nether portal.

This could technically work with the SPUD, but it gets unlocked via quest book, that is the part where it probably gets complicated. I talked to @Slind yesterday about that. It also has position dependent quests. I guess those could work, since the positions are fixed. Twilight is usually disabled due to performance issues.

When you play Marooned alone, it feels like it takes forever due to the forced progression. When you go a step back you see that it is more of a medium-sized modpack, so a group of players might actually finish it much faster.

Never played the Aether, I don't know what it is about, but why not. :D

OniyaMCD

Mar 30, 2015
The way that Crash Landing works on MyM is that it works similar to a skyblock. When someone enters the game, he starts an "island", gets a location and the whole starter base is copied there. Everything in a 8 chunk radius I think is then protected. But there is nothing else in the Overworld, so this system works perfectly. The cities are located in another dimension, which you get to using a nether portal.

This could technically work with the SPUD, but it gets unlocked via quest book, that is the part where it probably gets complicated. I talked to @Slind yesterday about that. It also has position dependent quests. I guess those could work, since the positions are fixed. Twilight is usually disabled due to performance issues.

When you play Marooned alone, it feels like it takes forever due to the forced progression. When you go a step back you see that it is more of a medium-sized modpack, so a group of players might actually finish it much faster.

Never played the Aether, I don't know what it is about, but why not. :D

The Aether mod has a number of different dimensions (with difference resources and native mods) all accessed through a variety of portals. I think the latest version cuts down on the actual portal building and provides a token of some sort that you use to interact with a single portal to determine which of the Aether dimensions you go to. (Sort of a 'many keys, one door' approach.)

Spaman

Jul 29, 2019
The Aether mod has a number of different dimensions (with difference resources and native mods) all accessed through a variety of portals. I think the latest version cuts down on the actual portal building and provides a token of some sort that you use to interact with a single portal to determine which of the Aether dimensions you go to. (Sort of a 'many keys, one door' approach.)

Knock knock!
Who's there?
The 1.5.4 update!
The 1.5.4 update who?
The 1.5.4 update who nobody seems interested in anymore.
Oh, that update. well its about time!
You're telling me. So to make it official:

The 1.5.4 update has finally been released and is now ready for downloading.

1: Fixed the Art Décor quest so that it now opens when required in quest line.

2: Decided to add an extra layer of sand in the Ice Plains and Swampland biomes to bring them more closely into line with the other biomes. This now adds the potential for players to make surface tunnels in the Ice Plains for safer travel.

3: Made adjustment to SPUD to put the surface elevators in line with rest of dugout so player can simply walk onto the elevator in a similar way as all the other lower level elevators. Also added an extra area on the surface of the SPUD for any players who want to take advantage of it. You can read more about it in the disclaimer which now has a double page explaining some of its uses along with the existing mention it gets earlier in the book.

4: Changed stone saw to use raw aluminum in place of aluminum nuggets.

5: Changed recipes for pot, saucepan and skillet to mostly aluminum since iron is already used in many other recipes. These items cannot be smelted down to their constituent materials like the bucket.

6: Removed fiery and knockback from level ups on weapons.

7: Added quest to allow player to swap their rapier for a new one that has either auto-repair, fiery or knockback already added to it. It opens after the First Blood quest is completed since it is the main weapon most will be using for awhile. Removed the choice of a Rapier in the EYE'LL STRING YOU ALONG quest as it was too far along the quest line to be useful. It was originally a last minute addition and I thought at the time it was better than nothing.

8: Removed crafting dead bushes into sticks and made it so that they now drop 0 - 3 maple sticks when broken. They can still be sheared to get the bush.

9: Fixed Eureka cobblestone pipe part image not showing properly.
This is definitely the intended final update for Marooned.

That's not to say there will be no more Marooned ever. As I write this, Marooned Again is in production and will hopefully be ready when the ratings begin next season.

Stay tuned..........................

Last edited:

Sandstroem

Jul 29, 2019
Cool, cool, I actually WAS interested in that update, but decided to stop bothering you here for a while :D

I am excited to see what you come up with in Marooned Again. My wish would be that it gives a different experience (lots of different mods, maybe even some magic mods), but stays true to the same concept.

Is this going to be 1.10.2 then?

Spaman

Jul 29, 2019
Cool, cool, I actually WAS interested in that update, but decided to stop bothering you here for a while :D

I am excited to see what you come up with in Marooned Again. My wish would be that it gives a different experience (lots of different mods, maybe even some magic mods), but stays true to the same concept.

Is this going to be 1.10.2 then?

Firstly, no one who posts on here ever bothers me. I like to get feedback, it gives me new ideas, otherwise I only have myself to come up with something interesting and there's only so much I can think of.

As for Marooned Again, it will be an entirely new pack so will have its own version number. Typically the first release will be version 1.0.0

Still really early days but I'm hopeful that once I've nailed down the intended new mods, adding the quests shouldn't take too long. Making all the new foods and recipes took a while, especially getting them to link in with Agricraft. All done now, with the occasional new recipe being added when I think something might be required. I also need to approach the maker of the Fast Foods mod to get approval for the intended changes I've made to some of the recipes I've made, eg: the grater that was used to only make grated cheese that was only used to make a pizza is going to become a kitchen wizz that will be used in approx 50 recipes.

Mind you, if I don't figure out how to add it to Curse it might never get uploaded. The instructions seem straight forward but I still haven't figured out exactly how to present the manifest.json file that needs to accompany it. The example I've seen have a bunch of what appeared to be random numbers that acted as pointers for the pack and until I figure out exactly what they're meant to do or even if all manifests require them, I'm kinda stuck.

Hopefully I'll figure it out when I get more time and closer to finishing this new pack. In the meantime, it would be nice if I could upload the original Marooned to curse. Ah well, too much to do now to worry about it.

Thanks for posting.....

Sandstroem

Jul 29, 2019
Hi,

I think you misunderstood my question about the version, of course it will start new again.

What I meant is whether it will be based on Minecraft 1.7.10 or whether you will move to 1.10.2.

Spaman

Jul 29, 2019
Hi,

I think you misunderstood my question about the version, of course it will start new again.

What I meant is whether it will be based on Minecraft 1.7.10 or whether you will move to 1.10.2.

I did indeed misunderstand your question. At this stage I'm still using 1.7.10 due to its familiarity and mods available for it.

I might review this decision at a later stage if I can see a good reason for it.

X

xChillZx

This is probably a noob question, but is there anyway to pickup the Pam's Harvestcraft gardens without destroying them ie: for relocation of a garden? Thanks in advance.

Spaman

Jul 29, 2019
This is probably a noob question, but is there anyway to pickup the Pam's Harvestcraft gardens without destroying them ie: for relocation of a garden? Thanks in advance.

As far as I know, there is no way to relocate them. Its a pain as I've had times when I wanted to move my fledgling garden to another location and just had to leave them there until I had managed to get new ones.

Sandstroem

Jul 29, 2019
And here I thought that was an explicite decision by you to make it that way, that they can't be picked up.

OniyaMCD

Mar 30, 2015

If Spaman hasn't changed anything in the config - which I wouldn't put past him :D - you can right-click on a garden to move it. (Might need to use shift-right click, it's been a few months since I was playing with that.)

Spaman

Jul 29, 2019
If Spaman hasn't changed anything in the config - which I wouldn't put past him :D - you can right-click on a garden to move it. (Might need to use shift-right click, it's been a few months since I was playing with that.)

The only thing I changed in the config for gardens is the amount of drops you get from them. I just went back into the game and tried moving one using shift right click etc and didn't manage to get one to move. I'm wondering if you're thinking of something else as I'd have liked to be able to move them myself and went to the trouble of checking the config to see if there was a way to enable it.

Of course I could be thinking about the wrong type of garden as I assumed I was being asked about the gardens you get as rewards in the Taint Nutttin.

If you can get it to work, let me know as there's always a possibility I've missed something.