[1.7.10] Marooned

Spaman

Jul 29, 2019
The initial 5.0.0 release of Journeymap works and has most of the features of the current build, well at least most of the features I want, lol. You probably already know this but it might save some time for others looking to add it to their game.

I can't play a pack like this without a mapping mod that remembers where I've been already. That means Journeymap. Used to use mapwriter a bit too but development for that seems nonexistent.

Thanks for the tip. I actually have a folder called ' MODS FOR TESTING' and in it is a 5.0.1 version of Journeyman. I did like the idea of a map that opens up as you journey. I've used it a few times in other packs. But in this pack you don't really get something all that useful as the terrain looks pretty much the same with the occasional change of colour for sewage ponds. I tend to find making waypoints of places of interest and keeping them disabled until I'm ready to go back to them works just as well. In my current test world I just completed the EXPLORING quest and must have made about 20 waypoints for future exploration.

If you've played earlier versions of the game, you'll know we originally started with voxelmap, but changed to xaeros due to requests on the basis that the voxelmap used too much memory and that xaeros was the least memory intensive of all the mini maps out there. Before changing again we'd need to do extensive testing to make sure we weren't unduly disadvantaging other players whose systems are already struggling for memory.

Sandstroem

Jul 29, 2019
You could always just add a recipe for those prismarine blocks as some kind of a middle to endgame recipe. But I know you like your one-time quest rewards. :D

While you were talking about the U key of NEI, I remembered that the R key didnt work on my HQM book, is that a config? In some mod packs I can hover over the thing the book wants me to craft and press R to get the recipe, but it didnt work in this pack.

A

Alven4

Is there any way how to destroy/bypass directly the bedrock layer?

I experienced the NEI bug too. With some items it just froze for a while, but with other items it froze and I had to kill the process from task manager. CPU usage went to max.

Last edited:

nckheinrich

Jul 29, 2019
Thanks for the tip. I actually have a folder called ' MODS FOR TESTING' and in it is a 5.0.1 version of Journeyman. I did like the idea of a map that opens up as you journey. I've used it a few times in other packs. But in this pack you don't really get something all that useful as the terrain looks pretty much the same with the occasional change of colour for sewage ponds. I tend to find making waypoints of places of interest and keeping them disabled until I'm ready to go back to them works just as well. In my current test world I just completed the EXPLORING quest and must have made about 20 waypoints for future exploration.

If you've played earlier versions of the game, you'll know we originally started with voxelmap, but changed to xaeros due to requests on the basis that the voxelmap used too much memory and that xaeros was the least memory intensive of all the mini maps out there. Before changing again we'd need to do extensive testing to make sure we weren't unduly disadvantaging other players whose systems are already struggling for memory.

Well I can tell you my potato of a computer runs this pack extremely smoothly. Seriously my computer was a top end computer.... in 2009.

Also with the gravestone bug that someone else and now me mentioned. I'll have to do some testing. So far the conditions it happened under were.
1. Full health, on ground, protected, minecraft crash.
2. One haunch of hunger, medium health, on ground, protected, killed my computer before closing minecraft.

Both happened on the ice plains

Last edited:

Spaman

Jul 29, 2019
You could always just add a recipe for those prismarine blocks as some kind of a middle to endgame recipe. But I know you like your one-time quest rewards. :D

While you were talking about the U key of NEI, I remembered that the R key didnt work on my HQM book, is that a config? In some mod packs I can hover over the thing the book wants me to craft and press R to get the recipe, but it didnt work in this pack.

I does like me quest rewards, gives me a reason to live. It also gives you more of a reason to complete them as well. I'm not inclined to make a recipe for a block that basically can't be mined because if you place it in the wrong place you're stuck. Even the stairs could be problematical for the same reason. I just did a test run and cleared the first section of the new SPUD without dying or having a creeper blow up the stairs. As I mentioned in a previous post, they now can't spawn where there are stairs placed, or at least shouldn't be able to. Having said that, they could still spawn if you leave the area dark enough for mobs to spawn. Even if you get some stairs blown up, you can always use other ones. Speaking of other ones, how about if I make a prismarine 'clone' stair instead? One that can be broken with a pick but look exactly the same? I'm sure I can figure a suitable recipe for it. Hmmm, something that has a similar colour to prismarine, something like those gelatinous slime balls....... What's that? How about a 'clone' block as well so you can make extra walls and stuff for your SPUD? Dang! Wish I'd thought of that, great idea.........

The reason the R key doesn't work in the HQM book is because we're using version 4.3.3 which didn't have that feature incorporated into it. Again, I have mentioned this before but since you seem to like having me ramble on, I'll repeat it again. I chose this version as its the latest one that didn't change the way quests can be done. In every later version running under 1.7.10 you can actually open the closed quests. [they're the darkened ones you can see but not open in this version] Not only that but you can also complete them, you just can't claim the reward until it officially opens. So basically I was faced with the decision to have ALL quests invisible until they actually open or use this version instead. As using the R key to look up the recipe in the book then requires you to 'escape' out of the book rather than being able to just escape back to the quest you had open, I decided it wasn't a feature I'd be inclined to use anyway.

Spaman

Jul 29, 2019
Is there any way how to destroy/bypass directly the bedrock layer?

I experienced the NEI bug too. With some items it just froze for a while, but with other items it froze and I had to kill the process from task manager. CPU usage went to max.

I noticed in a video that Elder Sign spoke of a way to bypass the bedrock but wouldn't divulge it. I decided to do some research and from what I could gather, it had something to do with the Twilight Forest. Since in Marooned you will have had access to the stone levels below the upper layers of bedrock for quite some time before gaining access to the Twilight Forest, I didn't bother to follow it up.

Well I can tell you my potato of a computer runs this pack extremely smoothly. Seriously my computer was a top end computer.... in 2009.

Also with the gravestone bug that someone else and now me mentioned. I'll have to do some testing. So far the conditions it happened under were.
1. Full health, on ground, protected, minecraft crash.
2. One haunch of hunger, medium health, on ground, protected, killed my computer before closing minecraft.

Both happened on the ice plains

Well I could say that the Journeyman map can cause that error, but I'd just be yanking your chain. I did load it and test it out to see if it might be the problem but my computer simply refused to crash. At least it gave me a refresher course on why I went with the xaeros map instead. I found the mob indicators were too close to be of any use and that mobs further out didn't show further out on the map but halfway in instead. A bit weird, might have been my computer but I did try many many configurations to get something I would find useful. Personally I prefer the little yellow dots, they show up before the mobs come into view which is not the case with JM. The map making feature I remembered from other packs and like I mentioned earlier, they don't really add much to Marooned as its mostly just the same barren land. I won't be changing to it but feel free to continue using it yourself.

As for the crash problem, I haven't been able to find out anything yet but will continue looking to see if there's an inherent problem somewhere that can be fixed from my side.

OniyaMCD mentioned in an earlier post that The Gravestone mod makes a log-file that includes the co-ordinates of any player graves.

You might be able to lookup where it says your grave is and then do a hunt for it...

EDIT: I just had a thought. You might try checking ALL your control key configurations to make sure another mod isn't configured to use the same key.

E

Elder Sign

I gave a fix for the NEI crash a few pages ago, basically you have to turn off the dev options in the NEI options screen, if I remember correctly it's the bottom option after you open your inventory and click the options button on the lower left

Reactions: Alven4

Spaman

Jul 29, 2019
I gave a fix for the NEI crash a few pages ago, basically you have to turn off the dev options in the NEI options screen, if I remember correctly it's the bottom option after you open your inventory and click the options button on the lower left

Great to hear from you again. I remember now that you mention it. I know I was determined to ship the pack with those options turned off. I do remember having to turn them back on to determine ID's at one stage during the coloured sand development but I thought I'd turned it back off again when I packed the pack for uploading. I guess I might have forgot. Apologies if I have and I'll make myself a note to check they are turned off when I release the next update.

nckheinrich

Jul 29, 2019
I love you.

A

Alven4

I have made stone crossbow and I am unable to replace its parts with copper parts. Is it intentional?
I have another problem with TiC, crossbow limb pattern says that I can use plastic as material for it but if i try to do so, it recognize the material but doesn't let do it. I tried plastic in every possible form and in the correct amount. Strangely, other parts of crossbow can be made out of plastic.

Spaman

Jul 29, 2019
I have made stone crossbow and I am unable to replace its parts with copper parts. Is it intentional?
I have another problem with TiC, crossbow limb pattern says that I can use plastic as material for it but if i try to do so, it recognize the material but doesn't let do it. I tried plastic in every possible form and in the correct amount. Strangely, other parts of crossbow can be made out of plastic.

I have to say I've never made a crossbow. Never seen the need for one. I've had other people ask whether I've disabled pars of TIC due to certain things not being able to be crafted. I haven't and wouldn't disable something unless I thought it would alter the flow of the pack unduly. I've looked into the config to see if there's a way to disable/enable these things but there's nothing that's been altered compared to other packs so I can only assume either the version we are using doesn't allow it or another mod we are using disabled it. I'll look into it and see if I can discover something but am not hopeful I'll discover anything new.

We had a similar issue some time back with people being unable to make slime crossbows and couldn't find a solution. In the end I just altered a couple of existing quests quests allow players to submit materials in exchange for either a new crossbow or longbow. then a player asked if I could include a javelin so I added that and throwing knives to the choices. It seems to have worked as there haven't been any more requests to try and fix the problem.

I have noticed that stonebound tools/weapons don't seem to be able to be manually upgraded as I tried this with the beginners flint axe after it upgraded itself to diamond giving it over 500 uses. Not sure if this crosses over to stone cross bows as well.

So to put it in a nutshell. Nothing has been altered with regards to TC weapons and tools. If I find something that helps, I'll let you know.

Last edited:
Reactions: Alven4
A

Alven4

I think that some crafting tasks are broken, they don't count how many of the requested items have you made but how many times you did the recipe. In the Grinder quest, it wants me to craft 32 time conveyor belt (that is 512 conveyor belts) and in the quest where you make coke oven, it wants me to craft the rails 16 (or 32) times and that is quite a huge amount of rails. Is it intentional?

Spaman

Jul 29, 2019
I think that some crafting tasks are broken, they don't count how many of the requested items have you made but how many times you did the recipe. In the Grinder quest, it wants me to craft 32 time conveyor belt (that is 512 conveyor belts) and in the quest where you make coke oven, it wants me to craft the rails 16 (or 32) times and that is quite a huge amount of rails. Is it intentional?

Have you actually tried to complete these quests as I've just re-tested them and the 32 rail track requirement for the 'ONE TRACK MIND' quest is designed so that you only have to craft the rails once as the recipe makes 32 tracks. I just did it and it worked without incident.

The GRINDER quest is different in that you have to craft the conveyors twice as the recipe only makes 16 belts. Again I just did the quest making regular belts and it worked perfectly.

I'd be interested in finding out if anyone else has had a similar problem with either of these 2 quests or if they worked for them as intended.

I'm aware with the'Detect' quests that you need to have the entire required amount in your inventory to trigger the quest. This makes sense as a person could otherwise simply have one and keep removing and them placing it back in their inventory to reach the required number.

If you are unable to complete these quests due to them not being recognised when crafted, I'd suggest that perhaps something has broken at your end. Have you added or removed any of the mods that came with the game? If so, you could try setting them back to their original state and seeing if that helps.

Sorry I can't be more helpful but unless I can replicate the problem at my end, I don't have anything here to fix.

E

Elder Sign

I have to say I've never made a crossbow. Never seen the need for one. I've had other people ask whether I've disabled pars of TIC due to certain things not being able to be crafted. I haven't and wouldn't disable something unless I thought it would alter the flow of the pack unduly. I've looked into the config to see if there's a way to disable/enable these things but there's nothing that's been altered compared to other packs so I can only assume either the version we are using doesn't allow it or another mod we are using disabled it. I'll look into it and see if I can discover something but am not hopeful I'll discover anything new.

We had a similar issue some time back with people being unable to make slime crossbows and couldn't find a solution. In the end I just altered a couple of existing quests quests allow players to submit materials in exchange for either a new crossbow or longbow. then a player asked if I could include a javelin so I added that and throwing knives to the choices. It seems to have worked as there haven't been any more requests to try and fix the problem.

I have noticed that stonebound tools/weapons don't seem to be able to be manually upgraded as I tried this with the beginners flint axe after it upgraded itself to diamond giving it over 500 uses. Not sure if this crosses over to stone cross bows as well.

So to put it in a nutshell. Nothing has been altered with regards to TC weapons and tools. If I find something that helps, I'll let you know.

Iguana Tweaks doesn't allow for stone tools to be upgraded, as far as the mod is concerned they aren't valid parts so there is no need to be able to swap them out since they are only for making casts with

Reactions: Spaman
A

Alven4

Only mod I have added is Optifine and only config I changed is controls, sound, NEI settings (those developer settings) and graphics. I didn't remove anything. I am playing desolate desert map and I have made regular belts twice and tracks once.
The quests won't count the amount of obtained items from crafting but how many times have I crafted it. It happened to me in other modpacks (for example LearnGT pack) with HQM too.
I guess I will just have to complete the broken tasks using hqm edit.

Spaman

Jul 29, 2019
Only mod I have added is Optifine and only config I changed is controls, sound, NEI settings (those developer settings) and graphics. I didn't remove anything. I am playing desolate desert map and I have made regular belts twice and tracks once.
The quests won't count the amount of obtained items from crafting but how many times have I crafted it. It happened to me in other modpacks (for example LearnGT pack) with HQM too.
I guess I will just have to complete the broken tasks using hqm edit.

Its a shame when something goes wrong with HQM. Unfortunately it already has problems with regards to the countdown timer for repeatable quests. Even the mod makers mentioned its broken on the earlier versions including the one we're using. As I mentioned in an earlier post the reason why we chose this version was due to other broken aspects of later versions. You may recall the drying rack quest where I mention that sometimes a quest won't recognize something you've made earlier and expects you to make a new one. Although your current problem isn't one I've had, I have experienced other ones where I've made items for a quest and it doesn't recognize what I've done, especially when I've had to make multiple ones like the conveyor belts eg: crafting them twice, and made them in the one go and its only recognized that I'd done one crafting rather than the two simultaneously. Other times it accepts multi crafts.

Hopefully you won't encounter this kind of problem again. As it is now, when I get multiple craft tasks, I make them one at a time until I reach the required qty just to make sure it recognizes each one.

Sandstroem

Jul 29, 2019
The problem is that he probably just shift clicked the stuff out of the crafting table. If you have to make those 6 fences for example and you put three times the stuff into the table and shift click it out , HQM only recognizes 3/6 crafted instead of 6/6. You have to click each out on its own. I am pretty sure you already know this bug, since Elder had it in his videos too, but I guess you didnt recognize it from Alvens description.

Spaman

Jul 29, 2019
The problem is that he probably just shift clicked the stuff out of the crafting table. If you have to make those 6 fences for example and you put three times the stuff into the table and shift click it out , HQM only recognizes 3/6 crafted instead of 6/6. You have to click each out on its own. I am pretty sure you already know this bug, since Elder had it in his videos too, but I guess you didnt recognize it from Alvens description.

I thought he must be having a different problem as he said when he made the conveyor belts that it only recognised his crafting attempt as being one item rather than 16, and indicated this would mean he'd have to craft them 32 times for a total of 512 belts.

I noticed the shift clicking problem when making those fences, so I turned them into consume quests instead, but thanks for mentioning it again as these things can easily go unnoticed and it could help other players reading your post who have experienced this problem themselves.

I've now decided to go through the book and turn those 'multiple item' crafting tasks into detection ones to avoid it happening again.

Sandstroem

Jul 29, 2019
Hm, thought it was the other way round, so that detection quests dont detect stuff shift-clicked out of the table. Then again I also had that issue with drying racks not being able to be handed into consume tasks, so maybe there are two different bugs.