[1.7.10] Marooned

E

Elder Sign

Funny how you forget things. I've already used the spare block Quadrum provides to make the slate block to compress all those flints. Guess I can look into how to add new blocks using it. This means another delay of course while I figure it out. Then after I do, you might get even more compressed blocks.

Thanks for the reminder...

PS: I hope your next video on the skyworld reads less like a horror story and more like a 'See, surviving in nether ain't so hard after all......... Wouldn't want you scaring off the customers before they get through the door would we?

I make no promises......

Stupid scary nitro creepers....

Sandstroem

Jul 29, 2019
Will the skyblock version be a separate pack? How does that work with the different questbook versions if it is just another map?

Spaman

Jul 29, 2019
Will the skyblock version be a separate pack? How does that work with the different questbook versions if it is just another map?

The skyworld slots into the existing pack. It will only work in the 1.5.0 version as there are special quests that have been made for it that older versions obviously won't have. Neither do any of the older versions have the new underground bunkers located at the spawn points of the land based worlds.

So in essence when you download the 1.5.0 version of Marooned, it will come with the skyworld and the 6 newly made land based worlds each containing that wonderful underground bunker that I'm sure people will find useful, provided they manage to clear out all the mobs residing there first. You'll be able to play the land based games simply by opening the saves folder and selecting one. If you want to play the skyworld, you just click on the Create New Game button, select a name for your world and start it up.

The book is very clever and knows which game you have selected and will change its starting quests to the ones suited to the world you chose. At some point the quests will merge together to put you on the right path to completing the game. The skyworld also knows when its required to give you a special quest instead of the land based quest that has you heading off looking for a Nether Portal. It quickly rejoins the quest line when this is completed.

Hope this answers your questions satisfactorily...

Reactions: Elder Sign

OniyaMCD

Mar 30, 2015
The book is very clever and knows which game you have selected and will change its starting quests to the ones suited to the world you chose. At some point the quests will merge together to put you on the right path to completing the game. The skyworld also knows when its required to give you a special quest instead of the land based quest that has you heading off looking for a Nether Portal. It quickly rejoins the quest line when this is completed.

This by itself is just amazing.

Swat_Raptor

Jul 29, 2019
question about the sand stone towers
so are all of the Sand stone tower sites (the ones the book called temples of the ancients) suppose to have obsidian portals with flint and steel or do only some of these sites have portals. I'm having trouble finding these sites and the one closest to my spawn doesn't seem to have one.

I know the book says to not build my own and buy some flint + steel from a villager. but its on clearance for 3 emeralds,

does it count if I find a sand stone temple without one and build one in it and put some purchased flint and steel on a drying rack and call it building restoration.

Spaman

Jul 29, 2019
question about the sand stone towers
so are all of the Sand stone tower sites (the ones the book called temples of the ancients) suppose to have obsidian portals with flint and steel or do only some of these sites have portals. I'm having trouble finding these sites and the one closest to my spawn doesn't seem to have one.

I know the book says to not build my own and buy some flint + steel from a villager. but its on clearance for 3 emeralds,

does it count if I find a sand stone temple without one and build one in it and put some purchased flint and steel on a drying rack and call it building restoration.

That villager is ripping you off. They're just hanging around near portals for free. FREE! How cheap is that?

I like your idea of building restoration. Wouldn't it be a hoot if you did this and got returned to another portal and you discovered it was in the same temple?

I'm assuming you are playing 1.4.3 and to be honest I can't remember whether all of the temples in that version have temples. If I had to guess, I'd say yes, but its always possible one of the biomes got missed somehow as each one has its own special ruins..

Temples with portals always have passages into them with hedges that are controlled by hidden switches. They are always on the lowest level of the temple so you need to fight your way down. All the portals are already activated and this is why I suggest not making your own portal, as you will almost certainly be sent to one of them when you return which makes it really hard to get out again, but not impossible as I'm not so mean as to 'lock' someone in an otherwise 'locked' portal area. At least that's the case in the 1.50 version. Pretty sure its similar in the 1.4.3 version too.

If you find any 'hidden' buttons in a temple then you can be certain it has portal as they were only added in portal temples. The more I think about it the more I'm convinced all temples were given portals in the last update.

I'd try really exploring that nearby temple and look everywhere as some have semi hidden entries to the lower level.

To be honest, if do make your own portal, you may as well make it near your base. You probably won't be sent back to it when leaving the nether but at least you can get there using it.

One last thing, when you do come back, if it is to a portal in a temple, I'd suggest not disabling it as you'll likely be sent to a different temple portal the next time you come back after using your own portal. Fighting your way out of one temple is bad enough but not as bad as two. I've tried this myself to see what would happen and this was the result. No guarantees though as this game can do funny things.

Cheers..........

Spaman

Jul 29, 2019
Maybe you could add it in with the quadrum mod that is sitting lonely and forgotten?

Hi everyone, just thought I'd let you know why the update still hasn't been released. Its all due to the comment the Elder Sign made above. It sent me on a new track and after much experimentation, I decided quadrum wasn't able to deliver the result I wanted. Not one to give up easily I went on a search and found a new mod called Custom Items which can deliver most of what I'd like to do. Since then, I've been hard at it making new blocks and items for the update . I've listed only the new stuff that will be included in the update thanks to this new mod, and a special extra thanks to Elder for prompting me in the right direction.
26: Replaced Quadrum mod with Custom Items mod.

27: Added recipe for the Sea Lantern that comes with the mod. Its a light source.

28: Made it so that the 'Salt Ore' scattered around the surface can only be mined using a shovel to let players gather it earlier in the game.

29: Added very early quests that reward a shovel and hatchet to help remove the tedium of digging and chopping early game.

30: Gave each biome their own specific coloured sand. The Savanna and Ice Plains still retain the red sand.

31: Made biome specific sandstone blocks along with slabs and stairs to suit.

32: Added compressed and double compressed coloured biome sand similar to existing compressed white sand but with increased blast resistance. Included a new quest to explain its features.

33: Added guano that can be obtained from killing bats. Mixing it with gunpowder makes clay.

34: Added 2 new food recipes to utilise raw imp hide and vegemite.

That's it up until now. Of course this means changing some aspects of all ruins in biomes that will be affected by the changes (4 biomes), then making new worlds to suit. Shouldn't take too long providing I don't get any 'bright' ideas along the way.

E

Elder Sign

One request that I have, would it be possible to either have a recipe for black stained clay that doesn't require making eight of them at once? After the blockheads cooking stations I always have 5 left over and usually end up throwing them away to reduce clutter, maybe something like 2 ink sacs + hardened clay for one black stained clay

OniyaMCD

Mar 30, 2015
Great, now all 4 of my saves are fucked with no way to get any back. This one was death by lag.

Delete modpack folder, redownload? One thing I have learned the hard way is to make copies of maps before I start playing them and store the originals in a safe folder. Makes for less frustration when you accidentally do something like lock yourself out of your underwater base.

Z

Zerias

As an alternative for those who don't wish to redownload the entire modpack just for the saves, you could try using a savefile editor like mcedit to wipe the world clean and let it regenerate, though you will probably need to reset your quest book for a proper new start. But as Oniya said above I do recommend keeping a copy of the pristine save folders backed up somewhere.

wanghealer

Jul 29, 2019
Delete modpack folder, redownload? One thing I have learned the hard way is to make copies of maps before I start playing them and store the originals in a safe folder. Makes for less frustration when you accidentally do something like lock yourself out of your underwater base.
Did exactly that, it worked.

This pack is drawing me in anyways, I want to keep playing, so I guess I will.

Edit: After having an established base, I was savaged by spiders that camped me. They were invulnerable. Regenned hp to max after every hit. Are you fucking kidding me?

Last edited:

Spaman

Jul 29, 2019
Did exactly that, it worked.

This pack is drawing me in anyways, I want to keep playing, so I guess I will.

Edit: After having an established base, I was savaged by spiders that camped me. They were invulnerable. Regenned hp to max after every hit. Are you fucking kidding me?

Sorry, been offline for a few days. The Create New Game function will always make the Ice Plains. Its not a fault, its designed that way. To have multiple world creations I would have to include a new mod to allow it. I've already tried it and it had some drawbacks so I decided not to include it. I may re-visit the possibility further down the track but at the moment my focus has been to get the 1.5.0 update up and running.

As for invulnerable spiders, they' weren't included in the pack. The only thing I can think of is they could be mother spiders which regenerate health so need to be dispatched faster to avoid this. You'll easily recognise them, they have purple colouring on their heads and spawn a number of baby spiders when killed. Hungry spiders also regenerate health..

As for spiders that shoot at you. They're a pain but a ranged weapon will take care of them, assuming you have one of course. apart from that, early game, I'm inclined to dig out a base 2 blocks deep, place slabs on the floor and more slabs half a block above ground level. Make it at least 7 x 7 to give yourself ample room to stop creepers sensing you and blowing the whole thing apart. If you place sand around the edge, only spiders can climb onto it. Then its a simple matter of removing a ceiling slab to take them down in relative safety.

Of course you just might get a visit from a friendly shooting mini spider that is able to get into your base anyway. Then you get to become the prey.

Glad to hear you didn't give up on account of those dastardly spiders.

Reactions: wanghealer

Spaman

Jul 29, 2019
One request that I have, would it be possible to either have a recipe for black stained clay that doesn't require making eight of them at once? After the blockheads cooking stations I always have 5 left over and usually end up throwing them away to reduce clutter, maybe something like 2 ink sacs + hardened clay for one black stained clay

No problem. I've left the original recipes for those that want them and included a new one you can craft from your inventory that makes 3 blocks using an ink sac.

Last edited:

Sandstroem

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah always bugs me in a lot of packs that you cant just use ANY colored clay, wool or whatever around your new dye, but only the white ones.

Looking forward to the update.

Spaman

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah always bugs me in a lot of packs that you cant just use ANY colored clay, wool or whatever around your new dye, but only the white ones.

Looking forward to the update.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but if a recipe in the marooned pack allows multiple coloured blocks to be changed using dye, its generally going to be the existing default of the mod. When creating my own recipes for the pack I'll sometimes let any colour block be dyed a darker colour if the actual mod is designed so that I can use the block generically so that one recipe can be used. Think about how wooden planks change colours when you highlight a recipe using them and you'll get what I mean. I treat wool differently with some recipes as I think if you use it to make a white object, it really should use white wool. Other times, like in the recipe addition that Elder Sign requested, I made it to only use regular hardened clay to match the parameters of the existing recipe for 8 blocks. None of the other blocks have a new recipe as none of them are used to make any other recipes.

As for the update, well, its taking me a bit longer than I previously anticipated due to having to change to another mod midstream and discovering a whole lot of new possibilities I can now play around with to possibly include in the update. Then again.............