[1.7.10] Marooned

OniyaMCD

Mar 30, 2015
This sleep is something I haven't been getting much of since returning to Oz. No wait, that's a different type of sleep. The sleep of which I speak is the sleep in Minecraft where you make a bed, place it in a secure well lit room, right click on it at night and drift off to sleep for about 10 seconds and voila, wake up the next morning to hear all those lovely skeletons and zombies burning up in the daylight.

*laughs* Last map I played through, I never even bothered to make a bed. And in a map where mob-drops are critical supplies, I can see 'sleep' being a fairly low priority for me. Lock the 'doors' and wait for the clatter of burning bones.

Shiphty

Jul 29, 2019
Since there is a quest requiring the making of a vacuum hopper anyway, you might want to make one now as the quest is a detection one and should remember you've already made it.

Glad you're enjoying the pack. Your post has already prompted me to make yet another change to the update. I always liked the extruder, but couldn't for the life of me remember its name when I was looking for auto cobble generation so chose the Transfer node instead. Oddly enough, the thing I never really liked about the node is it makes cobblestone waaaay too quickly but I had to have something.

I know quite a few people are saying they are getting ahead of the quests and by the time they come up, they've already made what they needed. The thing is we all play at different speeds and I have to allow for the people who are actually trying to play their way through the quests as intended, because without the progression system as its laid out, it would be very hard to learn how to automate without either prior knowledge or constant referring to web pages to see how certain things work.

I imagine most of the people who are trying out the game here have already played many other similar games and are familiar with what the various machines do and once they get that all important sieve, set about getting what they want ASAP and then think about which quests they want to do next. If this game ever goes public then the quest book will probably be followed a bit more closely by more players.

In the meantime all I can do is make modifications where they're needed. The feedback is terrific as I've been able to gain more knowledge about some machines I hadn't even considered before and its only thanks to all the members contributing here that I've been able make so many improvements to the game.

Cheers....

Blast! Now I feel dumb. I've been using transfer nodes to remove cobble from the igneous extruder!!!!

I'm half-way between the veterans who know all the packs and the guys who know nothing. I really appreciate the quests.

I think either I've been doing something wrong or there's a really steep tech tree cliff that I just got past. It took me forever to finally get to a place where I'm not scraping by with food.

I think one problem I have is that I like to have a really safe and spacious home before I start building a lot of engines and whatnot. I wandered around forever before I settled on a place to build.

Shiphty

Jul 29, 2019
Just wondering, if you only had a choice between a bed and a sleeping bag, with a revamped recipe balanced against a bed's recipe, which would you prefer?

I'd also like to hear from other players about this option.........

Cheers.......

I would choose the bed. I did NOT build my home near spawn.

Edit: I wrote this before I read the rest of the posts concerning the subject of beds and sleeping bags.

Last edited:
E

Elder Sign

Blast! Now I feel dumb. I've been using transfer nodes to remove cobble from the igneous extruder!!!!

I'm half-way between the veterans who know all the packs and the guys who know nothing. I really appreciate the quests.

I think either I've been doing something wrong or there's a really steep tech tree cliff that I just got past. It took me forever to finally get to a place where I'm not scraping by with food.

I think one problem I have is that I like to have a really safe and spacious home before I start building a lot of engines and whatnot. I wandered around forever before I settled on a place to build.

I'd hate to plug my videos but I can't really offer any ideas/suggestions without knowing more about your base set up and so on, so check out my series I guess?

Shiphty

Jul 29, 2019
2016-03-08_23.45.04_zpsqayhpjqs.png
[/URL][/IMG] Hrm... I can't seem to post a pic from photobucket.

Shiphty

Jul 29, 2019
I'd hate to plug my videos but I can't really offer any ideas/suggestions without knowing more about your base set up and so on, so check out my series I guess?

I'm doing okay now. I have plenty of food. A whole kitchen full actually. It just took me forever. I think it's because I'm a bit particular about the order I do things in.

On a related subject... I saw someone's youtube video and they had beans planted in crops. How do we get seeds? Has that been done away with?

OniyaMCD

Mar 30, 2015
I'm doing okay now. I have plenty of food. A whole kitchen full actually. It just took me forever. I think it's because I'm a bit particular about the order I do things in.

On a related subject... I saw someone's youtube video and they had beans planted in crops. How do we get seeds? Has that been done away with?

Possibly reward bags? I know there was talk about Agricraft and cross-breeding upthread a bit.

E

Elder Sign

Cross breeding with agricraft, just look up the recipe for bean seeds and it should tell you what two seeds to start with, if I remember correctly beans come from 2 vanilla crops

Just till 3 blocks of dirt in a line, the outer 2 plant the parent crops with 1 crop stick, bone meal them to mature and then put 2 crop sticks in the middle square and use your watering can until you see the green sprouts show up, use waila to see what you got, it will either be a copy of one of the parent crops or your new cross bred crop

Reactions: Shiphty

Spaman

Jul 29, 2019
I will try and make sure I don't go into it expecting anything to be the same, I'm planning on using the quest book as my guide as well and not just leap frogging over quests to advance faster and further than is intended, that said I will make sure to point out any hints as needed, like on how to maximize your food saturation and so on. Protip: Don't eat until the gold outlines are completely gone even if you still have more hunger bars to fill.... c:

Now you see, I didn't know about the gold outlines. Good to know, especially as diminishing returns starts much earlier than before. Glad to hear you plan on following the book more closely, its kinda been divided into two primary paths now, the first being the ore berries and getting enough ores to complete the main quest to get started on making a sieve. The second combines growing food for quests and killing mobs, which are now linked. They also have side quests linked to them so its not advisable to skip them until a more convenient time. I've also tried to prevent moving onto mutating crops too early to give the gardens more relevance early in the game. Its a juggling act and that's why its taken so long to get this far. Almost done, still have to modify the portal ruins and make more empty space around the teleport area as someone said they kept teleporting into solid bedrock when returning to base which kinda sucks. Never happened to me, although I did teleport forward into some strange situations, but there's nothing I can do about that.

One thing I was wondering, when I was in NZ and watching your videos [so entertaining] they seemed to end abruptly on episode 11. I searched for more but couldn't find any. Is that all you made?

Cheers......

Shiphty

Jul 29, 2019
Cross breeding with agricraft, just look up the recipe for bean seeds and it should tell you what two seeds to start with, if I remember correctly beans come from 2 vanilla crops

Just till 3 blocks of dirt in a line, the outer 2 plant the parent crops with 1 crop stick, bone meal them to mature and then put 2 crop sticks in the middle square and use your watering can until you see the green sprouts show up, use waila to see what you got, it will either be a copy of one of the parent crops or your new cross bred crop

OOOOOH! Awesome. I thought that was disabled so I didn't even bother trying. I've been getting all my veggies from gardens. I have a little patch of grass in my basement where I let them spread and then pick some every once in a while.

Spaman

Jul 29, 2019

Beans come from agricraft pumpkin and potato seeds. You can't plant vanilla seeds in wooden 'crops'.

To start agricraft farming in Marooned you currently need to hand in a potato and carrot to receive an agricraft carrot and potato seed which you can cross crop to get an agricraft pumpkin. Right clicking your rake on the pumpkin also gets its seed. The quest is called Mutant Meddler.

To plant agricraft seeds you need to first place a wooden 'crop' on the tilled soil. To mutate a crop you need to have the correct seeds for the mutation you want on either side of a tilled soil block with 2 wooden 'crops' on it, like you mentioned.

Hope this helps..........

EDIT: You can't currently mutate strawberries in Agricraft. That's down to the mod, not me. I've managed to add it as a 'special' mutation in the update.

Last edited:
Reactions: Shiphty
E

Elder Sign

Now you see, I didn't know about the gold outlines. Good to know, especially as diminishing returns starts much earlier than before. Glad to hear you plan on following the book more closely, its kinda been divided into two primary paths now, the first being the ore berries and getting enough ores to complete the main quest to get started on making a sieve. The second combines growing food for quests and killing mobs, which are now linked. They also have side quests linked to them so its not advisable to skip them until a more convenient time. I've also tried to prevent moving onto mutating crops too early to give the gardens more relevance early in the game. Its a juggling act and that's why its taken so long to get this far. Almost done, still have to modify the portal ruins and make more empty space around the teleport area as someone said they kept teleporting into solid bedrock when returning to base which kinda sucks. Never happened to me, although I did teleport forward into some strange situations, but there's nothing I can do about that.

One thing I was wondering, when I was in NZ and watching your videos [so entertaining] they seemed to end abruptly on episode 11. I searched for more but couldn't find any. Is that all you made?

Cheers......

That's strange, I have 17 videos out for Marooned, I wonder why you couldn't find more than the first 11. Here's the link to the full playlist: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLdOcLTXJA9tI2NSjtPO4qtDJdpW1H-E8n

And I will look into why they weren't showing up in your searches, very strange....

Spaman

Jul 29, 2019
I wandered around forever before I settled on a place to build.

That's what I tend to do. I never build at my spawn point as I find when I inevitably die, which I do, I'd rather spawn in an unpopulated area and work my way back to my base. It helps that I made the ruins and have an idea which ones to look out for, but I've been making so many modifications that I really can't remember even which ones are shelters and which ones are just a pile of sand, especially now that there will be 3 distinct worlds with some of their own special ruins.

Spaman

Jul 29, 2019
That's strange, I have 17 videos out for Marooned, I wonder why you couldn't find more than the first 11. Here's the link to the full playlist: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLdOcLTXJA9tI2NSjtPO4qtDJdpW1H-E8n

And I will look into why they weren't showing up in your searches, very strange....

Well the last time I looked was back on Feb 21st before flying back home. Maybe the kiwi's decided to hide your last vid's, you weren't slagging them off were you?

EDIT: Bookmarked and emailed to myself. Will watch them when I get somewhere with sufficient DL. Gunna look forward to it.. Thanks.......

Shiphty

Jul 29, 2019
That's what I tend to do. I never build at my spawn point as I find when I inevitably die, which I do, I'd rather spawn in an unpopulated area and work my way back to my base. It helps that I made the ruins and have an idea which ones to look out for, but I've been making so many modifications that I really can't remember even which ones are shelters and which ones are just a pile of sand, especially now that there will be 3 distinct worlds with some of their own special ruins.

I've been so busy building up my home that I haven't explored a single ruin. I like to venture out from a place of strength.

I have pillaged a lot of chests from the tops of those webby spires though.

Shiphty

Jul 29, 2019
Maybe I can leave links to my pictures?

http://i1337.photobucket.com/albums/o665/Melandrar/2016-03-09_12.57.05_zpscpt0qtuz.png
http://i1337.photobucket.com/albums/o665/Melandrar/2016-03-09_12.57.32_zpsvhjz3b0s.png
This is my house. I'm working on the center part, I want to add at least one more level to it. After that I'm thinking about whether I ought to have a sloping roof or a flat one. The sloping roof looks better but the flat one serves more of a purpose. I think either way I'll add a tower.

http://i1337.photobucket.com/albums/o665/Melandrar/2016-03-09_12.58.07_zps9cnguknl.png
The two side parts which look like wings are actually empty warehouses in which I will build whatever mechanics and engines I need.
Right now they're fun to stand in at night during a thunder storm. They also seem to attract endermen which is a definite bonus.

Swat_Raptor

Jul 29, 2019
So in my latest run through I figured, who needs a bed when you have a fishing rod, night means more time to fish and for mobs to swarm around under my fishing platform.

I found a mooshoroom, a pengiun, and another twilight robin, from fishing loot, and a bow with infinity (so much for conserving arrows) as well as the usual fishing loot. (seriously building a bird cage room for all the birds)

I'll eventually get around to looting raiding ruins.....

@Spaman how many types of world are you thinking of adding?

Spaman

Jul 29, 2019
So in my latest run through I figured, who needs a bed when you have a fishing rod, night means more time to fish and for mobs to swarm around under my fishing platform.

I found a mooshoroom, a pengiun, and another twilight robin, from fishing loot, and a bow with infinity (so much for conserving arrows) as well as the usual fishing loot. (seriously building a bird cage room for all the birds)

I'll eventually get around to looting raiding ruins.....

@Spaman how many types of world are you thinking of adding?

I don't know how you manage to catch such a varied amount of loot. I find I either get mostly fish or mostly junk depending on the world. Doesn't seem to be a pattern to it. I consider myself lucky if I get a rubber sapling from fishing.

Tend to agree with sleeping. I tend not to make a bed but I have to consider those that feel the need to sleep through the night. My preference if I have to choose [and I have to in the update] would be the sleeping bag. I explore heaps and there have been times when I'd hve been better off making a quick shelter and just sleeping through the night to conserve what little hunger I had left.

There will be three saved games to choose from. At the moment they are going to be a Frozen River biome that snows, a Plains biome that rains and a Savanna biome that never rains. A fourth option will be available which is the one you make yourself. That will be a Taiga biome that also rains.

Spaman

Jul 29, 2019
Maybe I can leave links to my pictures?

http://i1337.photobucket.com/albums/o665/Melandrar/2016-03-09_12.57.05_zpscpt0qtuz.png
http://i1337.photobucket.com/albums/o665/Melandrar/2016-03-09_12.57.32_zpsvhjz3b0s.png
This is my house. I'm working on the center part, I want to add at least one more level to it. After that I'm thinking about whether I ought to have a sloping roof or a flat one. The sloping roof looks better but the flat one serves more of a purpose. I think either way I'll add a tower.

http://i1337.photobucket.com/albums/o665/Melandrar/2016-03-09_12.58.07_zps9cnguknl.png
The two side parts which look like wings are actually empty warehouses in which I will build whatever mechanics and engines I need.
Right now they're fun to stand in at night during a thunder storm. They also seem to attract endermen which is a definite bonus.

I see you like to live modestly in a one bedroom apartment. Its always good to be able to attract Endermen to their doom. I have to say I tend to just build a basic shelter and gradually expand as the need arises. This could be due to the fact I know that when I make a needed change to a quest that I've already completed, there's a possibility that game will no longer load. Thankfully, I think I've got it nailed down now and am just making some final adjustments to some of the ruins. Currently expanding the Twilight Portal ruins so that there is a lot more space around the actual portal as a player mentioned teleporting back into a solid bedrock wall.