[1.7.10][LISTED] InfiTech 2 Modpack v3.2.21 [HQM][GregTech balanced hard-mode modpack]

• FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

Learner

Jul 29, 2019
It would be really, really cool if Greg made an in-game book to at least give you hints on the order of machines you need to build.

*snip*

Gregtech used to have informative manuals before; you'd find them as loot in certain places. I got pretty excited when I first discovered them in the versions they were in. What isn't exciting about finding knowledge, written books, or other stuff that could all help you with doing things? They helped make the world not feel so empty and in a way, I always had this head canon that some predecessors had to have written and left those books for people to come across later.
This also helped you not feel as lonely in your world, especially because these books were written with personality, were not all comprehensively written by a single author [In the standard written book method where finished books are signed by the writer, nor did these books (I think) have the author slot of them labeled something generic/robotic like "Gregtech, an IC2 add-on" or something like that] and covered a WIDE variety of topics too (e.g. Crop guide and breeds you might encounter, OS Manual, Steam Boiler Manual, Microwave manual, Turbine Manual)! At one point, I decided to go looking for a Stronghold and (much to my luck, given the SMP status of the world) the library there was just FULL of books! (Stuff like that is just great for immersion IMO) When I brought them all back and saw how wide my collection of unique books ended up being, making a GT book printing station ended up seeming like a cool, helpful (and awesome of me) idea, and my neighbors (few in number as they might be, but generally all awesome people nonetheless) were all pretty thankful when I allowed them to browse, checkout, and pay for personal copies of these books.

Which is why it breaks my heart to not have found any of the manuals in this current version... :(
Maybe there are some in the strongholds? Though honestly, it all strikes me as 'somewhat' odd that nothing in the changelog of gregtech alludes to manuals having been removed...

Wait... I (think) I found them right here in the Gregtech.lang file... which isn't in a folder for some reason, and is set to false? There are also fewer books? What exactly is going on?

Last edited:

Jason McRay

Jul 29, 2019
It would be really, really cool if Greg made an in-game book to at least give you hints on the order of machines you need to build. And, since I'm bitching/complaining, it's only fair that I at least deliver what I'm accusing Greg of not:

1. Punch tree
2. Make wood tools
3. Make stone/flint tools
4. Mine iron, either a "small" iron ore block or else mine a starter metal, make a Lvl 2 pick from that, then mine iron with that
Note : Will have to make the following GT starter tools:
A) GT Hammer (1 stick + 6 ingots of any metal)
B) GT Wrench
C) GT File

5. Find copper and tin veins and pick those
6. Make AE quartz grinder or GT mortar and pestle and grind up to make copper dust and tin dust
7. Shapeless craft to make bronze
8. Smelt bronze to make bronze ingot, then make into bronze plates
9. Make 1 or 2 small coal boilers, some small or normal-size bronze fluid pipes, and starter bronze machines. The following order is decent:
A) Alloy Smelter (3 + 1 = 4 bronze now)
B) Macerator (more efficient ore processing, but requires a diamond)
C) Hammer
D) Furnace
E) Extractor
F) Compressor

10. Make a crucible and fill with water. "Drop" dirty dusts to purify them into clean dusts when you need to.

Basic ore processing is thus :
Macerator --> Hammer --> [optional : purify in crucible]

10. Focus on copper and tin to make bronze ingot and then bronze plates
11. Make bronze blast furnace
12. Combine iron and coal coke or charcoal to slowly make steel
13. Hammer steel into plates and then make:
A) Basic Steam Turbine
B) Basic Bending Machine
C) Basic Wiremill
D) Basic Centrifuge
E) Basic Polarizer

You're then well on your way to an efficient ore processing setup.

Or maybe check this: http://infinity-minecraft.co.uk/forum/m/18154441/viewthread/16705812-gregtech-survival-guide

Reactions: MigukNamja

asb3pe

Jul 29, 2019

Which is really this document

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1_suVZdSI91JimQTsgR3ejRt1HbxOM87Sh1OO2Fou6zM/edit?pli=1

Which used to be titled "How to Survive a German and his Evil Java Code" or something like that (to heck with being political correct, just say what you think, darn it!!). LOL It's a work in progress and changing all the time so keep checking it, that's what I've been doing.

Tsuko

Jul 29, 2019
My darn steam alloy smelter is broken or something and refuses to run, i tried to run it once with steam output block covered by another block.. so of course it failed but when i remove the offending block, replaced the pipe and changed the steam output slot to one that is facing air, the steam accepts more ignots but won't process it to alloys.

I have to "reset" the machine by picking it up with a wrench and it works a bit more but eats up more ingots without anything to show for it when it fails again... what am i doing wrong?

Does the steam alloy smelter require more steam than a small copper fluid pipe can provide? or ... whats wrong?

I guess it could be a bug that once it's steam output side gets taken up by another block it FOREVER gets stuck in that mode :(

Imma make a new one, sad that i had to destroy the old one (got nothing back with a stone pickaxe) wasted like 20-30 bronze ingots :(

(btw all my other steam machines runs fine on small copper fluid pipes)

EDIT: I don't want to replice the problem again to test but i'm guessing i just didn't wait long enough with the machine unplugged to let my pipes fill up with steam again.. but to answer my earlier question: i found out that the buffer for the steam alloy smelter is 32000 mB steam, so everything has buffers.

Last edited:

MigukNamja

Jul 29, 2019
@Tsuko
The Steam Alloy Smelter consumes a *hell* of a lot of steam. The small copper fluid pipe may indeed be too small. I have a normal bronze fluid pipe on mine, and even then, several boilers can barely keep up.

And, if a GT steam machine doesn't have enough steam, it will complain loudly, show the red exclamation icon in the GUI, and consume huge amounts of steam. I often have to pick it up (wrench it) to clear this state. But, I'm guessing with a small copper fluid pipe and I don't know how many boilers you have, it simply doesn't ever get enough steam.

Tsuko

Jul 29, 2019
@Tsuko
The Steam Alloy Smelter consumes a *hell* of a lot of steam. The small copper fluid pipe may indeed be too small. I have a normal bronze fluid pipe on mine, and even then, several boilers can barely keep up.

And, if a GT steam machine doesn't have enough steam, it will complain loudly, show the red exclamation icon in the GUI, and consume huge amounts of steam. I often have to pick it up (wrench it) to clear this state. But, I'm guessing with a small copper fluid pipe and I don't know how many boilers you have, it simply doesn't ever get enough steam.
I have a huge Railcraft iron tank with 1,3 million mB's to spare, so it is just a question about steam buffers / providers i guess?

Does the steam machines have internal steam buffers? or is it only the pipes? (thinking of maybe smelting like 10 bronze ingots then wait for a bit for the buffer to refill)

Seems the steam alloy smelter uses 12800 mB of steam per bronze smelting operation which takes about 20seconds to do.. so about 640mB of steam per second at minimum should be required... my small copper fluid pipes outputs at 400mB/s so i need bigger pipes for this one.. (or a longer small copper fluid pipe to act as a BUFFER :) )[DOUBLEPOST=1414930692][/DOUBLEPOST]
@Tsuko

I replicated the problem again by testing the limits of how many bronze ingots i can smelt before it cries "MOAR STEAM"
24 bronze ingots (6 runs) .. any more than that and the internal buffer of the steam alloy smelter gets empty, and when that buffer is empty thats when problems happens.

To fix it i have to pick the alloy smelter up and replace it (losing the ingots inside and to let the steam alloy smelter rest a little while to fill up the internal steam buffer again and now it works like a charm (6 ingots max before refill waiting time) :D, no bugs, working as intented i guess.

It could be interesting to automate this process with redstone and item filters or something :)[DOUBLEPOST=1414931169][/DOUBLEPOST]Actually i have a feature suggestion for steam machines (at least) in that once there is not enough "fuel" in the machine's buffers that the machines will switch into "refill" mode so instaid of failing over and over again to meet the "fuel" demand running they will just build up their buffers with "fuel", once the buffer is full (or %n full) you could allow it to go back into smelting mode automaticly (or manually at any time via a button in the GUI for the machines) this would have helped me not waste a lot of resources and i'm sure this would be good for gregtech :)

I know of one "hidden button" for making the machines silent but could that other button perhaps be for this purpose? empty = constantly try and do stuff, occupied = refill if unable to meet demand until buffer is full?

Last edited:

Tubenstein

Jul 29, 2019
Am I the only one who feels completely alone in SP?

I know the feeling from SMP lol, but zombieeeeees love me no matter what... and not for looks at all, but for my brain...

But serious, on SP It gotta be hella hard and even more time consuming x.x invite someone there! or join some other adventurers ! In those cruel lands of Infitech x]

Last edited:

Sleepyscumbag

Jul 29, 2019
I know the feeling from SMP lol, but zombieeeeees love me no matter what... and not for looks at all, but for my brain...

But serious, on SP It gotta be hella hard and even more time consuming x.x invite someone there! or join some other adventurers ! In those cruel lands of Infitech x]
It's more a case of: money can't buy you happiness, or in this case: when you're sitting on all your fancy machines, you're still as alone as when you created the world.

Tubenstein

Jul 29, 2019
It's more a case of: money can't buy you happiness, or in this case: when you're sitting on all your fancy machines, you're still as alone as when you created the world.

Oh, I got that... well, not much of a difference in my SMP, in a month I'll be alone there, everyone will get bored, I know that feeling, but no idea what to do with that... showing off with all your fancy stuff is not any kind of solution x.x I dont know... still the only solution I could think of, would be making a small community, like there is probably on dev server (but well, never been there).

And the other thing that came to my mind, anyone using electric locomotives on long distance? Is rail energy loss a serious issue? x.x

Tyriael_Soban

Jul 29, 2019
@Tsuko if youre having problems with GT machines and pipes, id recommend taking a look at MysteryDump on youtube, she does a few informative tutorials for GT.

asb3pe

Jul 29, 2019
Does the steam alloy smelter require more steam than a small copper fluid pipe can provide? or ... whats wrong?

Others have already answered, but I'll chime in too... you must run the Alloy Smelter all by itself... and you also must have a "buffer" steam tank (I used a 3x3x4 Railcraft tank but you could also use a Drum or anything else that can store steam). The bronze pipe size is fine... it's the amount of steam you have "in storage" that is the problem. If the alloy smelter runs out of steam before it can finish, it will never finish and get stuck in that infinite loop.

When I get a machine stuck in an infinite loop, I try not to "wrench it" (pick it up) because then you lose any steam in it's internal storage. So what I do is remove the pipe feeding it steam. Let your steam supply build back up until you have enough to complete one Alloy Smelter operation (just take a guess, after a while you'll know roughly how much you need, when in doubt, wait 30 more seconds lol), then reconnect the bronze steam pipe to the machine.

Last edited:

Tsuko

Jul 29, 2019
@Tsuko if youre having problems with GT machines and pipes, id recommend taking a look at MysteryDump on youtube, she does a few informative tutorials for GT.
I already watched several of her videos and they are great :) I just remembered thx to her videos that fluids in GT5 pipes acts more realistic or something and that i need steel to get shutters (covers) to perhaps mend some of these problems (or just bigger pipes lol)

asb3pe

Jul 29, 2019
Am I the only one who feels completely alone in SP?

You're definitely not alone. Well, I mean, you ARE alone when you play SSP, but you're not alone in your feelings. :D

I often remark how lonely SSP is... but when I play SMP, I end up dealing with so much crapola (lag, banned item lists, world borders, depleted easy resources, griefers and jerks, etc) that I end up back at "good old lonely" SSP. :)

Tsuko

Jul 29, 2019
Others have already answered, but I'll chime in too... you must run the Alloy Smelter all by itself... and you also must have a "buffer" steam tank (I used a 3x3x4 Railcraft tank but you could also use a Drum or anything else that can store steam. The bronze pipe size is fine... it's the amount of steam you have "in storage" that is the problem. If the alloy smelter runs out of steam before it can finish, it will never finish and get stuck in that infinite loop.

When I get a machine stuck in an infinite loop, I try not to "wrench it" (pick it up) because then you lose any steam in it's internal storage. So what I do is remove the pipe feeding it steam. Let your steam supply build back up until you have enough to complete one Alloy Smelter operation, then reconnect the bronze steam pipe to the machine.
Okay so thats how you do it haha :D, i just sacrificed several bronze ingots :(

I also just learned that i needed TWISE the amount of bronze ingots to make bronze plated blast furnace than i thought i did.. not 256 bronze ingots... 256 bronze PLATES FFS! lol[DOUBLEPOST=1414949137][/DOUBLEPOST]I'm about to get googles of revealing from thaumcraft but i'll ask anyway: can you combine two primal aspects in the crucible to make a compound aspect?
Then perhaps combine compound with another? like terra + ordo = vitreus (crystal), then terra + vitreus = metallum to use with a recipe to "duplicate" tin nuggets?

Edit: Seems not possible... i guess that makes sense elseways the essentia would stay in there forever downgrading & upgrading.

Last edited:

Tubenstein

Jul 29, 2019
You're definitely not alone. Well, I mean, you ARE alone when you play SSP, but you're not alone in your feelings. :D

I often remark how lonely SSP is... but when I play SMP, I end up dealing with so much crapola (lag, banned item lists, world borders, depleted easy resources, griefers and jerks, etc) that I end up back at "good old lonely" SSP. :)

Well, for me, only way to play SMP, is to find small group of reasonable people, and just enjoy the show making things together :p but still, more people, more chances to get this crapola you mention xD I like, small, quiet places...

danieledward

Jul 29, 2019
How the F do you make an RE battery if making the battery for a generator requires power but the generator requires the battery?

So lost.

EDIT: SOLVED: Basic Steam Turbine is your friend. Found it searching the Gregtech forums for an hour...page by page. Antimony is a by product from Tetrahedrite for the alloy.

Last edited:
Reactions: Grove