[1.7.10][LISTED] InfiTech 2 Modpack v3.2.21 [HQM][GregTech balanced hard-mode modpack]

• FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

asb3pe

Jul 29, 2019
Sheesh those are ooogly :p

Yep, ooogly but ooooooohhhhh so necessary. ;)

Sphax always had the best looking ores (back in Ultimate days) but one day the Nether ore textures broke and never got fixed (some became impossible for me to see, just like tin) and I've been struggling with this issue ever since. No Sphax for 1.7 FTB yet (just the basic vanilla, not mods). In this case with IT2 modpack, I'll take 'ugly but functional' over 'pretty but invisible', for sure!

Reactions: MigukNamja

Hazado

Jul 29, 2019
Yep, ooogly but ooooooohhhhh so necessary. ;)

Sphax always had the best looking ores (back in Ultimate days) but one day the Nether ore textures broke and never got fixed (some became impossible for me to see, just like tin) and I've been struggling with this issue ever since. No Sphax for 1.7 FTB yet (just the basic vanilla, not mods). In this case with IT2 modpack, I'll take 'ugly but functional' over 'pretty but invisible', for sure!
A large portion of the mods for Infitech 2 are done, but you have to look through the bdcraft forums for them.

Reactions: asb3pe

Lemonfreezers

Jul 29, 2019
Hey all who have been on here. i have been looking into possibly opening a Infitech server. If i did get one how many people would play on it?

Reactions: Grove

Summit

Jul 29, 2019
I'm just getting into the ULV electrical age, so I'm not looking to start over just now. With Greg's oregen it takes forever to get anywhere.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Hey all who have been on here. i have been looking into possibly opening a Infitech server. If i did get one how many people would play on it?
I'd hop on just to say hi to fellow infitech2 players. Dunno how seriously I'd play: I couldn't come to terms with infinite-resource bees and it drove me nuts on the last server.

MigukNamja

Jul 29, 2019
Who's actually got a server running with this pack? Other than the dev server, that is.

No public server AFAIK.

I've been running this pack on my white-list server since it launched. I just upgraded it to 1.1.6 recently.

[DOUBLEPOST=1414611450][/DOUBLEPOST]
I'd hop on just to say hi to fellow infitech2 players. Dunno how seriously I'd play: I couldn't come to terms with infinite-resource bees and it drove me nuts on the last server.

LOL, wow. Didn't know it drove you nuts.

Last edited:

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
No public server AFAIK.

I've been running this pack on my white-list server since it launched. I just upgraded it to 1.1.6 recently.[DOUBLEPOST=1414611450][/DOUBLEPOST]

LOL, wow. Didn't know it drove you nuts.
hah woops, sorry Miguk. That deserves clarification.

I was "happier" managing resources that couldn't be cranked up to infinity, so that I could declare, zomg, I got 140 diamonds today, i r kewl! But its irrelevant: that's just my style of play.

Important, guys: the scripted GT/Infitech2 tiering does mitigate this to a small degree. Before you can get infinite resources of many types, you now need to reach a given GT tier to do so. The only issue arrives when you chart effort->output on a graph for bees vs non-bees and see that the bees route eventually literally produces "infinity" as a result: the effort invested isn't so much "unbalanced" as it is "mathematically irrelevant." Sadly we were only in HV and could already get infinite amounts of an awful lot of resources.

Interesting side note for those interested in game design mechanics: the rotarycraft Boring machine has the same issue. So does the MFR laser drill. Actually so do crops to a fair extent. And in each case, my arguments are irrelevant because there's players who enjoy "earning" infinite resources.

On my personal world, I play with ore-multiplying bees, so that bee-products take what you mine and give you a lot more for them. This way I get the awesomeness of bees while keeping the cost/benefit numbers on a graph of my choosing (which I can configure to my taste by adjusting how much crushed ore you get by processing, say, redstone ore with energetic bee product)

Reactions: gallowglass

MajPayne21

Jul 29, 2019
hah woops, sorry Miguk. That deserves clarification.

I was "happier" managing resources that couldn't be cranked up to infinity, so that I could declare, zomg, I got 140 diamonds today, i r kewl! But its irrelevant: that's just my style of play.

Important, guys: the scripted GT/Infitech2 tiering does mitigate this to a small degree. Before you can get infinite resources of many types, you now need to reach a given GT tier to do so. The only issue arrives when you chart effort->output on a graph for bees vs non-bees and see that the bees route eventually literally produces "infinity" as a result: the effort invested isn't so much "unbalanced" as it is "mathematically irrelevant." Sadly we were only in HV and could already get infinite amounts of an awful lot of resources.

Interesting side note for those interested in game design mechanics: the rotarycraft Boring machine has the same issue. So does the MFR laser drill. Actually so do crops to a fair extent. And in each case, my arguments are irrelevant because there's players who enjoy "earning" infinite resources.

On my personal world, I play with ore-multiplying bees, so that bee-products take what you mine and give you a lot more for them. This way I get the awesomeness of bees while keeping the cost/benefit numbers on a graph of my choosing (which I can configure to my taste by adjusting how much crushed ore you get by processing, say, redstone ore with energetic bee product)

How do you feel that this jives with the point at which resources are 'practicality unlimited'? Once you reach any level of large scale automatic mining, aren't you capable of gathering resources so quickly and in such quantity that the actual numeric amount is irrelevant? I distinguish no difference between 10,000 iron and 100,000 iron, for instance, except in the case of a GigaProject such as a Rotary craft fusion reactor, which is in itself a practically unlimited energy source.

I have also found that the time and resource investment in bees is the challenge - if you have given the effort and developed the infrastructure, renewable resources seem to be an appropriate reward, and I feel that you could approach that threshold with normal quarrying just as easily.

Does your complaint revolve around reaching practical infinity too early? Or do you take issue with practical infinity vs. actual infinity? My thesis is that they are indistinguishable to the player unless that person has created an artificial goal specifically requiring actual infinity, such as a spaceship of golden blocks (Saice reference).

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

MigukNamja

Jul 29, 2019
@MigukNamja Where can i go to sign up for such whitelist server? ive been wanting to play with other peeps and have fun and enjoy a tough/tedious pack.

I sent you a PM. The only thing I ask is to provide feedback on this thread so Jason and team (including me !!) can keep working to make this pack better :)

Tyriael_Soban

Jul 29, 2019
I despise sphax and im sick of people ramming it down LP'ers throats, Gaming on Caffeine used something called Photorealism a while back for a single episode and the stuff i was reading on the comments was just plain stupid.
Its an ugly pack and you have an even uglier way of having to install it.
Seriously, check out Soartex, they even give you a patcher to update the textures - no screwing around with winzip and texture folders to have nothing work the way its meant to.

Reactions: Grove

Learner

Jul 29, 2019
When I first got into bees, the fun was had in just the breeding, and the experimentation. I didn't really care all too much about what was obtained in return, and in fact, most of the stuff I got was used to analyze said bees. When it comes to adventure, the only thing that matters is the journey, not the destination.

I was a greenhorn in bee breeding, so discovering new bees was always such an exciting turn of events, even though the activity as a whole did eventually take a back seat to IC2/Gregtech crop breeding. It could be said that since I didn't necessarily grind & abuse the bees until they cried uncle to surrender more valuable supplies and species, that I must have held some level of respect for the bees, and simply let them progress at their own pace; none of that automated BS. Seriously, in retrospect, it's... unbelievably shocking how little I care for building automated stuff (but also surprising how that tune changes when such a machine is in my hands to tweak, tamper, improve, and repair. For me, the best way to learn about a mod is to have some sort of machine from that mod available for your use, along with the builder of said machine to guide you if you become absolutely stumped about something).

Am I highly impressed when I discover a giant machine, or an automated factory? ABSOLUTELY! You'd not believe how awesome it was when I asked another player what one of his machines was and found out that it was some sort of computerized storage mod. I ended up loving that mod and giant chain of machines for the ease of access, convenience, user-friendliness, how much it simplified crafting, and how compact it was for storage, when I ended up living/working together with that player. He was a good fellow, who unlike me, had a passion for automated stuff such as tree-farming, automated biofuel production, and other similar stuff).
TBH, that's one of the great things about Minecraft players... so long as you respect their belongings, rules, and creations (I might look through someone's belongings if I come across an empty home, but I'll never/VERY RARELY move or take any of it, it's pretty obvious that the place hasn't been lived in) , they'll usually be happy to explain what something they own does, a pessimist might say they're happy to be able to brag about their stuff. If you point out something about their home/building/machine (I've been prone to leave messages with signs in peoples homes a lot. I'd personally would want to know if someone was at my place) like "This part of your house doesn't seem to be under grief prevention", or "Your chests aren't locked, just letting you know. Also, holy cow man, you've got a TON of stuff", they're usually going to look/respond to it (and occasionally, send you mail thanking you for letting them know, or show their appreciation for your compliment.)

I will also divulge that after discovering that bees were the key to breeding trees (and subsequently butterflies too), those bees did get a little more attention, because like I said, discovery is perhaps the best part about long-term investment projects such as those.

Anyhow, to tell it another way, I've never considered bees to be an infinite resource. You could by that logic say IC2 metal crops are an infinite resource; sure on some theoretical level, they are infinite resources, especially when combined with Thaumcraft's metal conversion, but... they're not reliable. (At least, in my mind, I don't believe that people go over 9000 and create huge unbelievably large fields of iron nugget crops. {Do you know how much breeding that'd entail?} No, that stuff only happens when it came to EE2. THAT mod was infinite resources flat out and very OP; a man could become a troglodyte, live underground forever, and get all the resources he'd ever need from a torch. {That not even getting into the BS OP levels of the armor from that mod... but I won't rant about that.})

On an unrelated but VERY important note... I've been encountering some new sort of crash, that's been keeping me from being able to progress past the Minecraft menu. I think it had something to do with holo inventory, which I think my baby nephew had accidentally enabled when he was messing with my keyboard. (Going to try and disable the mod and see if that helps.)

The only thing I ask is to provide feedback on this thread so Jason and team (including me !!) can keep working to make this pack better :)

I should mention that on my SSP world (on which I enabled cheats), typing /help seems to encounter some sort of error, so I have no idea what commands I have access to.

(Also, is inventory drop a thing on the server? I've never been fond of losing my inventory in general, but evidently, considering how buggy/stupid I've heard the graveyard/tombstone mod can be, I've been more inclined to not have to deal with that.)

I am so... so... sorry. I end up making long monologues like this so very often... If I didn't have so much to say, I wouldn't say so much.

Attachments

• crash-2014-10-29_20.11.38-client.txt
    21 KB · Views: 40
Last edited:
Reactions: MigukNamja

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
How do you feel that this jives with the point at which resources are 'practicality unlimited'? Once you reach any level of large scale automatic mining, aren't you capable of gathering resources so quickly and in such quantity that the actual numeric amount is irrelevant? I distinguish no difference between 10,000 iron and 100,000 iron, for instance, except in the case of a GigaProject such as a Rotary craft fusion reactor, which is in itself a practically unlimited energy source.

I have also found that the time and resource investment in bees is the challenge - if you have given the effort and developed the infrastructure, renewable resources seem to be an appropriate reward, and I feel that you could approach that threshold with normal quarrying just as easily.

Does your complaint revolve around reaching practical infinity too early? Or do you take issue with practical infinity vs. actual infinity? My thesis is that they are indistinguishable to the player unless that person has created an artificial goal specifically requiring actual infinity, such as a spaceship of golden blocks (Saice reference).

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
Fundamental difference in perspective at play here. I do see a massive difference between 10k and 100k iron (possibly because one is enough to build, say, an ReC fusion reactor and the other isn't). In fact, I see a massive difference between 10k and 20k iron. Upon re-reading I also note that you did mention the ReC fusion reactor :)

I agree that the bee infrastructure is a challenge. I mention it frequently. The issue is one of cost/benefit: at no point in, say, GT can you achieve unlimited resources with a similar amount of effort. Or any amount of effort in fact, unless you want to set up a UUM factory for every resource. (that might be fun btw)

To address your question then: my "complaint" (personal subjective dislike) would be achieving actual infinity in far more resources than would be reasonably expected otherwise, in what was originally constructed as a hardcore GT game. Fortunately of course I'm able to preserve that difficulty level and amend the scripting myself, with zero harm to anyone else who prefers a simpler version.

Hope that makes sense. Good observations :)

Edit: with regard to quarries, there is a specific amount of resources in any quarryable area, and no amount of time is going to make that quarry produce more than that. I have to decide where to quarry next ( a real question now, with GT 5 Ore distribution ) and setup my infrastructure again. At which point I will achieve precisely X resources again. My gains, as a result, are defined precisely by my judgement on quarry placement, how many quarries I maintain, how much energy I can spend running them, how well I set up my infrastructure to handle their input/output, so forth. My gains are objectively more "impressive" as a result. For all that quarry results can possibly be impressive ;)

Reactions: MajPayne21

MajPayne21

Jul 29, 2019
Fundamental difference in perspective at play here. I do see a massive difference between 10k and 100k iron (possibly because one is enough to build, say, an ReC fusion reactor and the other isn't). In fact, I see a massive difference between 10k and 20k iron. Upon re-reading I also note that you did mention the ReC fusion reactor :)

I agree that the bee infrastructure is a challenge. I mention it frequently. The issue is one of cost/benefit: at no point in, say, GT can you achieve unlimited resources with a similar amount of effort. Or any amount of effort in fact, unless you want to set up a UUM factory for every resource. (that might be fun btw)

To address your question then: my "complaint" (personal subjective dislike) would be achieving actual infinity in far more resources than would be reasonably expected otherwise, in what was originally constructed as a hardcore GT game. Fortunately of course I'm able to preserve that difficulty level and amend the scripting myself, with zero harm to anyone else who prefers a simpler version.

Hope that makes sense. Good observations :)

Edit: with regard to quarries, there is a specific amount of resources in any quarryable area, and no amount of time is going to make that quarry produce more than that. I have to decide where to quarry next ( a real question now, with GT 5 Ore distribution ) and setup my infrastructure again. At which point I will achieve precisely X resources again. My gains, as a result, are defined precisely by my judgement on quarry placement, how many quarries I maintain, how much energy I can spend running them, how well I set up my infrastructure to handle their input/output, so forth. My gains are objectively more "impressive" as a result. For all that quarry results can possibly be impressive ;)

Excellent post; I completely understand your perspective, I was just arguing for the sake of the academic exercise. I would love to draw a chart illustrating my opinion, but I'm just not *that* interested.

I keep hoping you'll pop up on the Dev server to base with me. The removal of diminishing food returns really brings the food mods back into line. There is a bit more challenge than just a vanilla wheat farm, but right now I just plant a variety of fruits and make 64-size stacks of fruit salads to gorge on. It gets the job done at this point in early game.

Tyriael_Soban

Jul 29, 2019
Pro tip: Dont stick a liquid void pipe on an RC turbine, i did and now i cannot reload my main world file.

java.lang.IllegalArgumentException
at java.util.PriorityQueue.<init>(Unknown Source) ~[?:1.7.0_67]
at net.minecraft.client.renderer.Tessellator.func_147564_a(Tessellator.java:160) ~[bmh.class:?]
at net.minecraft.client.renderer.WorldRenderer.func_147891_a(WorldRenderer.java:248) ~[blo.class:?]
at net.minecraft.client.renderer.WorldRenderer.func_147892_a(WorldRenderer.java:204) ~[blo.class:?]
at net.minecraft.client.renderer.RenderGlobal.func_72716_a(RenderGlobal.java:1530) ~[bma.class:?]
at net.minecraft.client.renderer.EntityRenderer.func_78471_a(EntityRenderer.java:1187) ~[blt.class:?]
at net.minecraft.client.renderer.EntityRenderer.func_78480_b(EntityRenderer.java:1011) ~[blt.class:?]
at net.minecraft.client.Minecraft.func_71411_J(Minecraft.java:990) ~[bao.class:?]
at net.minecraft.client.Minecraft.func_99999_d(Minecraft.java:887) [bao.class:?]
at net.minecraft.client.main.Main.main(SourceFile:148) [Main.class:?]
at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method) ~[?:1.7.0_67]
at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source) ~[?:1.7.0_67]
at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source) ~[?:1.7.0_67]
at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Unknown Source) ~[?:1.7.0_67]
at net.minecraft.launchwrapper.Launch.launch(Launch.java:135) [launchwrapper-1.11.jar:?]
at net.minecraft.launchwrapper.Launch.main(Launch.java:28) [launchwrapper-1.11.jar:?]
[22:07:42] [Client thread/INFO] [STDOUT]: [net.minecraft.client.Minecraft:func_71377_b:349]: ---- Minecraft Crash Report ----
// You should try our sister game, Minceraft!

Time: 10/29/14 10:07 PM
Description: Unexpected error

java.lang.IllegalArgumentException
at java.util.PriorityQueue.<init>(Unknown Source)
at net.minecraft.client.renderer.Tessellator.func_147564_a(Tessellator.java:160)
at net.minecraft.client.renderer.WorldRenderer.func_147891_a(WorldRenderer.java:248)
at net.minecraft.client.renderer.WorldRenderer.func_147892_a(WorldRenderer.java:204)
at net.minecraft.client.renderer.RenderGlobal.func_72716_a(RenderGlobal.java:1530)
at net.minecraft.client.renderer.EntityRenderer.func_78471_a(EntityRenderer.java:1187)
at net.minecraft.client.renderer.EntityRenderer.func_78480_b(EntityRenderer.java:1011)
at net.minecraft.client.Minecraft.func_71411_J(Minecraft.java:990)
at net.minecraft.client.Minecraft.func_99999_d(Minecraft.java:887)
at net.minecraft.client.main.Main.main(SourceFile:148)
at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)
at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)
at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Unknown Source)
at net.minecraft.launchwrapper.Launch.launch(Launch.java:135)
at net.minecraft.launchwrapper.Launch.main(Launch.java:28)

A detailed walkthrough of the error, its code path and all known details is as follows:
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-- Head --
Stacktrace:
at java.util.PriorityQueue.<init>(Unknown Source)
at net.minecraft.client.renderer.Tessellator.func_147564_a(Tessellator.java:160)
at net.minecraft.client.renderer.WorldRenderer.func_147891_a(WorldRenderer.java:248)
at net.minecraft.client.renderer.WorldRenderer.func_147892_a(WorldRenderer.java:204)
at net.minecraft.client.renderer.RenderGlobal.func_72716_a(RenderGlobal.java:1530)
at net.minecraft.client.renderer.EntityRenderer.func_78471_a(EntityRenderer.java:1187)

-- Affected level --
Details:
Level name: MpServer
All players: 1 total; [GCEntityClientPlayerMP['Tyriael_Soban'/198, l='MpServer', x=-515.39, y=78.34, z=490.01]]
Chunk stats: MultiplayerChunkCache: 5, 5
Level seed: 0
Level generator: ID 00 - default, ver 1. Features enabled: false
Level generator options:
Level spawn location: World: (-138,64,177), Chunk: (at 6,4,1 in -9,11; contains blocks -144,0,176 to -129,255,191), Region: (-1,0; contains chunks -32,0 to -1,31, blocks -512,0,0 to -1,255,511)
Level time: 5753145 game time, 6957271 day time
Level dimension: 0
Level storage version: 0x00000 - Unknown?
Level weather: Rain time: 0 (now: false), thunder time: 0 (now: false)
Level game mode: Game mode: survival (ID 0). Hardcore: false. Cheats: false
Forced entities: 91 total; [EntityChicken['Chicken'/410, l='MpServer', x=-498.84, y=74.58,
[DOUBLEPOST=1414644135][/DOUBLEPOST]
crashmesuccess.png

test world replicated the exact same issue, placing the chisel block hung the client resulting in a similar crash to the one in the upper spoiler.

Last edited:
Reactions: adamich and Grove

MigukNamja

Jul 29, 2019
at no point in, say, GT can you achieve unlimited resources with a similar amount of effort. Or any amount of effort in fact, unless you want to set up a UUM factory for every resource. (that might be fun btw)

Not sure how you can say that. Centrifuging lava has been in GT for a long time. It's trivial once you have access to the Nether since you can self-power the whole system with lava itself. And, that occurs a long time before bees can be doing anything remotely interesting.

...who prefers a simpler version.

Not sure how you can say that, either. In Infitech1, it was far easier and simpler to quarry the world that it was to setup bees, and that was in 1.6 with Binnie's ExtraBees machines, which are/were far easier and faster than his new ones. In other words, bees were easier in 1.6, yet quarrying was simpler still. And, you could get every possible resource - including Iridium - from quarrying. There are no Iridium or similar GT metals bees. So, was quarrying superior then ?

Fast forward to Infitech2, and Binnie has made his machines far more complicated/difficult/longer. It's actually easier to use base Forestry breeding techniques to breed traits. In other words, bees are even more difficult. As for quarrying, it is still easier and faster to quarry in IT2 than it is to do bees once you factor in the time it takes to scour the world for a huge collectino of Pristine Princesses, setup a line of alveraries, do the background technology and Thaumcraft and MagicBees to get the nice frames and other bee-related stuff, breed the species, breed the traits, power the very expensive Forestry Squeezer and Carpenter, build the alvearies, etc.,.

Sure, GT 5 makes traditional quarries like the BC quarry less useful, but it makes others like the Thaumcraft Arcance Bore far more powerful. In the time it took to do all the bee stuff I was doing the last world, I could have harvested enough resources to last the rest of the game if I had focused on the Arcane Bore. But, that's kind of...boring...forgive the pun ;-)

For all that quarry results can possibly be impressive ;)

I'll have to politely disagree here. Once you have teleportation of items and energy (which come well before bees reach a stage of being useful), moving a quarry is trivial.