[1.7.10][LISTED] InfiTech 2 Modpack v3.2.21 [HQM][GregTech balanced hard-mode modpack]

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
I Tested in creative and pumped cell into the hatch
but this doesn't (explicitly) mean you provided optimal flow.

If optimal flow is 50mb/t, then 100 mb/t is not optimal. Its too much, and you suffer inefficiency.

To get optimal flow you sometimes need to regulate throughput somehow. The IC2 Fluid Regulator is an option. EnderiO Fluid Pipes are another option.

Am I missing something? (sorry if I am)

Reactions: MarcNemesis

MarcNemesis

Jul 29, 2019
but this doesn't (explicitly) mean you provided optimal flow.

If optimal flow is 50mb/t, then 100 mb/t is not optimal. Its too much, and you suffer inefficiency.

To get optimal flow you sometimes need to regulate throughput somehow. The IC2 Fluid Regulator is an option. EnderiO Fluid Pipes are another option.

Am I missing something? (sorry if I am)
Ahhhhhh. GT fluid regulator should do the trick then.

MarcNemesis

Jul 29, 2019
Almost :)
The calculation on the wiki for gas seems to be incorrect. For the correct values, refer to the tooltip of the turbine you built. For large tungstensteel, it gives 1600 EU/t for a gas turbine. This is what you start with.
Optimal flow is then 1600/32 (burn value for biogas/t) = 50 mb/t (round this down if it's a fraction)
You will not get 1600 EU/t however, there's still the efficiency multiplier. For your turbine, this is 140%, so we add this in:
1600*(140/100)=2240 EU/t output. Lastly there's a few EU/t loss because it's an energy generator. This depends on the tier of your dynamo hatch, but it's not that great of a loss.

So in short, you're generating about 2240 EU/t for 50mb/t biogas.

In case you want to be lazy on calculations, you could build the information panel from Nuclear control and link it to the turbine block with a gregtech sensor kit. In the screenshot you can find an example with a HSS-S gas turbine.
The EU/t was offset by a bit but all in all, thanks to your explanation and that of @Pyure i got it to work perfectly ^_^ And that Info Panel with GT Sensor Kit is a gift from the sky.

Edit: Made some test to compare for those that are curious or are starting to reach the Large Turbine, here's a example of the difference.

1 Turbo Gas Turbine with 64000MB of Biogas got me 1.680m EU as HV.
1 Large Gas Turbine using Large Tungstensteel Turbine (1200 EU/t, thus 37L/t Optimal flow) got me 2.07m EU as EV.

A pretty decent increase considering your actually outputting higher voltage.

Last edited:

asb3pe

Jul 29, 2019
And that Info Panel with GT Sensor Kit is a gift from the sky.

What's the range on that sensor? Last time I used one (in some other modpack) the range was very short, you couldn't put the monitor very far away before it was "out of range" or something. But yeah, having that info in sight at all times would be invaluable. But of course I think my Large Diesel Engine Controller block is probably 18-20 blocks from where I'd want the monitor so I always see it, and I think that's too far.

MarcNemesis

Jul 29, 2019
What's the range on that sensor? Last time I used one (in some other modpack) the range was very short, you couldn't put the monitor very far away before it was "out of range" or something. But yeah, having that info in sight at all times would be invaluable. But of course I think my Large Diesel Engine Controller block is probably 18-20 blocks from where I'd want the monitor so I always see it, and I think that's too far.
From memory, the default is 8 block. But you can add Range Upgrade to it which are supposed to add another 8 block per range upgrade (maximum of 64.) Again, from memory it used to be bugged and would become limitless after a few upgrades. I've yet to try it.

Edit: What i called a bug might not be a bug after all if what i read recently is what i understand correctly. "Each upgrade doubles the range". So is it adding the range exponentially? i'm unsure. I'll go test it right now. I'll be back with a answer in a few minutes.

Edit 2: So yeah...can't really say it was a bug after all as it seems to be upgrading the range exponentially. With merely 6 Range Upgrade, i was able to get a reading at over 550m.

Last edited:

Haiya-Dragon

Jul 29, 2019
The EU/t was offset by a bit but all in all, thanks to your explanation and that of @Pyure i got it to work perfectly ^_^ And that Info Panel with GT Sensor Kit is a gift from the sky.

Edit: Made some test to compare for those that are curious or are starting to reach the Large Turbine, here's a example of the difference.

1 Turbo Gas Turbine with 64000MB of Biogas got me 1.680m EU as HV.
1 Large Gas Turbine using Large Tungstensteel Turbine (1200 EU/t, thus 37L/t Optimal flow) got me 2.07m EU as EV.

A pretty decent increase considering your actually outputting higher voltage.

Good to see you got it to work! Your offset is because of my own error in using the huge turbine values instead of the large ones. My mouse must've double clicked instead of single when scrolling through the turbine blades, or it was simply too early on the day. Much like it is now. Back to bed it is.

Nice to know about the range extenders being exponentially increasing. I never paid too much attention to it and just dropped in a bunch whenever I needed more range on them. That will definitely come in handy when I get around to making my main information display

Reactions: Pyure

asb3pe

Jul 29, 2019
Every so often I get unexplainable events happening. Today, I logged on to the server (which nobody else has logged in for weeks, I play alone on it)... and my Steve's Cart, which provides all the wood to my Large Steel Boiler to make steam, is gone. Vanished. Poof, into thin air. Just like every night, I checked it before logging off to see if the blade had enough durability, and everything seemed just fine. Basically, I've done this same routine every night for probably 2 months. And yet, this morning, the cart is gone, I walked the entire track layout over 2 chunks. Naturally, the area it works is chunk loaded, so if something happened it could have de-spawned I suppose... but how would that happen? All the track is in place, there are no missing sections or anything. No trees growing where they shouldn't be, and the track was clear, there are no animals or anything.

Very weird, and I'm sitting here baffled. What happened last night that was so different from any other night? How could this happen? My one remaining question is - do Steve's Carts have a finite "lifetime" or something? Do they vanish when they reach it? Sounds kinda LOL, but I'm reduced to pondering such things at this point. Worth a post to see if someone can offer other possible explanations. Perhaps the game is telling me its finally time to switch over to Ender IO Farming Station so I don't have to spend 2-3 diamonds on a Steve's Cart each day... but I'm gonna miss my little guy, he was such a workhorse and never ever complained once. (wipes away a tear)

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Every so often I get unexplainable events happening. Today, I logged on to the server (which nobody else has logged in for weeks, I play alone on it)... and my Steve's Cart, which provides all the wood to my Large Steel Boiler to make steam, is gone. Vanished. Poof, into thin air. Just like every night, I checked it before logging off to see if the blade had enough durability, and everything seemed just fine. Basically, I've done this same routine every night for probably 2 months. And yet, this morning, the cart is gone, I walked the entire track layout over 2 chunks. Naturally, the area it works is chunk loaded, so if something happened it could have de-spawned I suppose... but how would that happen? All the track is in place, there are no missing sections or anything. No trees growing where they shouldn't be, and the track was clear, there are no animals or anything.

Very weird, and I'm sitting here baffled. What happened last night that was so different from any other night? How could this happen? My one remaining question is - do Steve's Carts have a finite "lifetime" or something? Do they vanish when they reach it? Sounds kinda LOL, but I'm reduced to pondering such things at this point. Worth a post to see if someone can offer other possible explanations.
Probably something weird when a chunk unloads. But, any chance it simply ran into a zombie and "broke" (turned into an item?)

I actually don't recall what happens when steve's carts hit mobs.

asb3pe

Jul 29, 2019
Probably something weird when a chunk unloads. But, any chance it simply ran into a zombie and "broke" (turned into an item?)

Couldn't be a mob because I have a Magnum Torch right next to my Chunk Loader. I wonder if I finally experienced a glitch from those Chicken Chunks chunk loaders, people have always said they cause corruption but since I never had any problems I always viewed those reports as being false and overblown (spurious is a good word to use).

It is possible it could have hit a sheep, but the cart just stops when it happens. Also, I don't see any peaceful mobs anywhere in the vicinity this morning, so unless one appeared, the cart hit it and killed it and derailed off the track in the process, then despawned... I don't think so.

asb3pe

Jul 29, 2019
I had another weird event happen a few days ago, but this one wasn't quite so dramatic. Since I have like 2000 STACKS of coal dusts from processing heavy oil, I make diamonds for Bedrockium Drums.

I put a Jabba barrel with exactly 64 stacks of Coal Balls atop my Compressor, and I know it was exactly 64 stacks because (a) I'm a numbers guy and I always work in nice round even whole numbers that matches the recipe proportions, and (b) the Jabba Barrel had no upgrades so 64 stacks is the maximum capacity.

When I returned quite some time later to collect my 64 stacks of Compressed Coal Balls, I realized the machine had actually make 64 stacks plus one more. Huh? LOL How does 64 stacks turn into 64 stacks plus one? I can absolutely guarantee beyond any shadow of doubt that I did NOT put 64 stacks +1 Coal Ball into that machine, and there were no Coal Balls just "hanging around" my base that could have found their way into my Compressor or barrel. So the only explanation is that the game duplicated one item somehow, while it was processing the 64 stacks.

Weirdness.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
I had another weird event happen a few days ago, but this one wasn't quite so dramatic. Since I have like 2000 STACKS of coal dusts from processing heavy oil, I make diamonds for Bedrockium Drums.

I put a Jabba barrel with exactly 64 stacks of Coal Balls atop my Compressor, and I know it was exactly 64 stacks because (a) I'm a numbers guy and I always work in nice round even whole numbers that matches the recipe proportions, and (b) the Jabba Barrel had no upgrades so 64 stacks is the maximum capacity.

When I returned quite some time later to collect my 64 stacks of Compressed Coal Balls, I realized the machine had actually make 64 stacks plus one more. Huh? LOL How does 64 stacks turn into 64 stacks plus one? I can absolutely guarantee beyond any shadow of doubt that I did NOT put 64 stacks +1 Coal Ball into that machine, and there were no Coal Balls just "hanging around" my base that could have found their way into my Compressor or barrel. So the only explanation is that the game duplicated one item somehow, while it was processing the 64 stacks.

Weirdness.
This one legitimately sounds like you simply screwed up even though you tripled checked your numbers. Simplest answer is usually the correct one. It happens :p

Reactions: targetingyou78

asb3pe

Jul 29, 2019

Just had an idea as it was thundering... what if my Steve's Cart got hit by lightning in the middle of the night? I wonder if that could that make it pop off the track and despawn?

Reactions: targetingyou78
U

UNG_God

Are you actually providing optimal flow? The penalty for non-optimal is substantial and may be keeping your base alive.

Is this really a thing? because it dont make much sense, i know that turbine and speed, bla bla , but this is a game, and there even a "fuel left" on large turbine, if there is a tank for extra fuel, optimal flow should not impact the generation... there are some aspects of gt5u that simple dont make much sense to me, seems things to bother us than actually teach something. Anyway all this time i am running 4 large turbine with excess steam on them and generating a good supply of power, so if i was to make the "optimal flow" i would gain more? and how much is that anyway, just 10-20% is not worthy the headache.One of the few reason i dont believe in optimal flow is based on speed, if a supply a minimum steam to a large turbine it will reach 100% speed without any change of Eu generation, also with some turbine blades they reach the maximum amount of eu generation before the speed hit 100% , those two dont seems logic to how irl stuff work, at least to me. I am not trying to say that i am right, for all i know i made a lot of mistakes and said stupid things over the play time of gregtech.

Blood Asp

Jul 29, 2019
When you supply a large turbine with more steam/fuel, it can use up to 125% of the optimal flow, but does not produce more EU. So 25% wasted. No loss in EU production.
Should you supply less fuel, % of optimal flow = efficiency, so 50% of optimal flow = 50% efficiency = 25% EU production.

A large turbine will full input hatch, so 125% of optimal flow will still be at last as efficient as HV single block turbines. Using the high efficiency rotors with 130-150% will still make them much better than single blocks while not caring about the flow.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Is this really a thing? because it dont make much sense, i know that turbine and speed, bla bla , but this is a game, and there even a "fuel left" on large turbine, if there is a tank for extra fuel, optimal flow should not impact the generation... there are some aspects of gt5u that simple dont make much sense to me, seems things to bother us than actually teach something. Anyway all this time i am running 4 large turbine with excess steam on them and generating a good supply of power, so if i was to make the "optimal flow" i would gain more? and how much is that anyway, just 10-20% is not worthy the headache.One of the few reason i dont believe in optimal flow is based on speed, if a supply a minimum steam to a large turbine it will reach 100% speed without any change of Eu generation, also with some turbine blades they reach the maximum amount of eu generation before the speed hit 100% , those two dont seems logic to how irl stuff work, at least to me. I am not trying to say that i am right, for all i know i made a lot of mistakes and said stupid things over the play time of gregtech.
UNG_God

No, what you're saying makes lots of sense. I can see an argument to remove the optimal flow thing. I think it was just done this way to make an interesting logistical obstacle. (And thank god for fluid regulators).

Blood ninja'd me but I want to add to what he said:

• If optimal flow is 100mb, but you provide 5000 or 3000 or 150, it will use 125. It can never "waste" more than plus-25% if you supply too much steam, and only that 25% is used when calculating the penalty.
  • The efficiency penalty is calculated on your deviation: 1% - ((125 - 100) / 100) = 75%. Where 125 is the worst you can over-supply for "optimal 100" (see float efficiency code below)
  • Then you get 100 steam * .75 * (whatever bonuses) = your EU. (NOT 125 steam. See Math.min in code below.)
  • (Edit: The penalties no longer apply to over-supply as of many many updates ago. You now get full efficiency for 100 steam and spend 125 steam.)

Note that you get double-dinged here. You lose extra steam and the penalty is calculated on the 100, not the 125. So its actually a bit worse to over-supply by 25% than to under-supply by 25%.

@Blood Asp:
This code:
Code:
tEU = (int) (Math.min((float) aOptFlow, totalFlow));
float efficiency = 1.0f - Math.abs(((totalFlow - (float) aOptFlow) / aOptFlow));
if(totalFlow>aOptFlow){efficiency = 1.0f;}
tEU *= efficiency;
Means you technically do have loss in EU production.

edit: Hmm, I just saw the if statement in the code I quoted. Nevermind.

I need to look a bit further into that. I don't think I coded that line ( I don't typically write single-line if-statements)

edit edit: Blood did it.
https://github.com/Blood-Asp/GT5-Unofficial/commit/be8d29da7492d1f91bf9ff6031671e085ce412ed
Good change imo. So if you supply 125, you'll get 100% credit for 100.

Last edited:

EconBrony

Jul 29, 2019
Just had an idea as it was thundering... what if my Steve's Cart got hit by lightning in the middle of the night? I wonder if that could that make it pop off the track and despawn?
That would be some crazy odds if it did get hit by lightning :p In regards to magnum torches, there have been times where I have seen mobs spawn in areas protected by these, especially right after the server is updated to a new version of the mod pack (not just this pack). There have been times where I have had to pick the torch up and replace it.

H

Herrminator1994

I'm having trouble with the Nuclear Control information panel not updating its state. Using it to monitor a large gas turbine.

T

targetingyou78

I'm having trouble with the Nuclear Control information panel not updating its state. Using it to monitor a large gas turbine.
I had this problem on my server, I would have to keep breaking it and replacing it to get it to work. However, since I started chunk loading both my base and my turbine I have not experienced this issue.

Question for anyone: I have started building my large scale oil processing setup. I have 3 Distillation towers and 2 Cracking Units. Byproducts such as Refinery Gas and and the Fuels are pretty obvious what to do. What is not as obvious to me, what should I do with the Naphtha? I know it is used to make plastics and watching @UNG_God 's Youtube series, he turns it all directly into Polyethylene but if you do that how do you guys get your Polytetrafluoroethylene for higher tier circuits. I was thinking splitting the naphtha into two chains and sending something along the lines of 70% to Polyethylene and 30% to Polytetrafluoroethylene