[1.7.10][LISTED] InfiTech 2 Modpack v3.2.21 [HQM][GregTech balanced hard-mode modpack]

T

targetingyou78

Silver is an ideal material for HV Cables, having the lowest line loss. It is also used to craft Blue Alloy, which makes cables that are even better, since they carry twice as many amps as Silver. (But don't forget that you can always use a higher-tier cable; anywhere you need a 4x Silver Cable, you could use a 4x Aluminum Cable or a 2x Platinum cable instead.)

Silver is used to make Electrum. Electrum is used to make Item Conduits and to make Etched HV Wiring for Advanced Circuits and other electrical components. It is also used to make high speed tools and turbine rotors in the form of Fluxed Electrum, which is also required for the Redstone Arsenal tools and weapons.
Idk I pretty much use aluminum solely for anything 512 or higher. It has one loss per meter which is the best I have found and it's so easy to get. I had a lot more of it then gold when I was first getting into HV era.

McFrugal

Jul 29, 2019
Oh great. I found out something new and irritating. Apparently when a golem harvests a mana bean the dropped bean can get stuck in the ceiling and teleport up above the logs you're using. So the gathering golem needs to have roof access.

asb3pe

Jul 29, 2019
Is there any practical difference between regular vanilla TNT and this "Industrial TNT" version? I can't find any difference, the Implosion Compressor recipes look like they accept either version?

But since Industrial TNT is from the IC2 mod, I'd better come here and ask the question... because as we all probably know, IC2 "Industrial Diamonds" are equivalent to vanilla diamonds (you can make the exchange for free in a crafting table), except there is at least a couple of recipes that requres the Industrial Diamond version and will not allow the vanilla version. Is Industrial TNT similar to the Industrial Diamonds? If so, what recipes require it exclusively? Is there some reason to go thru the extra steps of making this Nitric Acid-based "Nitration Mixture" in order to make Industrial TNT?

And I might as well add in a more-or-less irrelevant question... what is this "Tiny TNT" stuff from AE2? Is that supposed to be for making some AE2 item? That might be the one recipe requiring Industrial TNT because I don't see any vanilla TNT version.

Oh great. I found out something new and irritating. Apparently when a golem harvests a mana bean the dropped bean can get stuck in the ceiling and teleport up above the logs you're using. So the gathering golem needs to have roof access.

Yeah that's always been a problem with the game, some items have the problem more than others. It sometimes happens to me when working with conduits up near my ceiling, since I keep track of numbers, I notice right away that I'm one piece short, and since I know the game never deletes anything, I know the piece has magically teleported itself somehow thru the stone floor/ceiling above. Sure enough, when I go up there, it's there. haha It's a rare occurrance, but it does happen, just one of the quirks of the way this game was programmed I guess.

Just for example... if you keep animals in a fenced-in area, every time you start up Minecraft to play, there's a chance one of the animals might "occupy" a fence block, and the game has to make a decision which adjacent block to move the animal. It often "guesses" incorrectly, and the animal(s) end up outside the fence. It's very annoying, but it's happened forever with this game. In all this time, nobody has ever been able to figure out how to fix that problem... and I find it both aggravating and funny too. :) But collecting my animals with a Golden Lasso every time I play isn't really a lot of fun.

P.S. Yes I know there are ways the player can avoid this problem with animals and fences... but that wasn't my point of bringing that subject up so don't feel the need to offer your solutions to it. hahaha

Last edited:

Nezraddin

Jul 29, 2019
Can't answer about industrial TNT, but in case it wasn't changed:
The tiny TNT is like TNT just with a very very little explosion-radius. I think AE2 added it for making these singularities which you need to blow up for crafting (so you don't always have to use the normal, destructive TNT to make them).

But unless it was changed from AE2 itself, normal TNT should do the same trick with this explosion-crafting of singularities.
(just be careful if you use it in other craftings with explosions. Last time I used it with Pneumaticcraft and trying to make compressed iron with it, it just destroyed the iron)

Reactions: asb3pe
C

codewarrior0

Is there any practical difference between regular vanilla TNT and this "Industrial TNT" version? I can't find any difference, the Implosion Compressor recipes look like they accept either version?

ITNT has a 90% chance to drop items from the blocks broken, whereas the chance for normal TNT is only 30%. This makes ITNT slightly better for explosive mining. Either one will still destroy any items that were already dropped before the explosion, though.

Less ITNT is used in Implosion Compressor recipes, and thus less Toluene and less Chemical Reactor time is used per gem exploded. Not that either of those are scarce resources. I've already filled up a drawer with ITNT to have in reserve for the Compressor, so I can blow up a whole bunch of gems at once.

I'd say that if you already have a Nitric Acid production chain for other reasons, you might as well work it into your ITNT production. Otherwise, TNT is just fine.

asb3pe

Jul 29, 2019
ITNT has a 90% chance to drop items from the blocks broken, whereas the chance for normal TNT is only 30%. This makes ITNT slightly better for explosive mining. Either one will still destroy any items that were already dropped before the explosion, though.

Less ITNT is used in Implosion Compressor recipes, and thus less Toluene and less Chemical Reactor time is used per gem exploded. Not that either of those are scarce resources. I've already filled up a drawer with ITNT to have in reserve for the Compressor, so I can blow up a whole bunch of gems at once.

I'd say that if you already have a Nitric Acid production chain for other reasons, you might as well work it into your ITNT production. Otherwise, TNT is just fine.

Good summary, thanks, I just noticed that Industrial Diamonds requires either 16 TNT or 8 ITNT in the Implosion Compressor, so there's my answer. Sometimes I just don't see it in NEI right away.

And now I also see what Nitric Acid is used for - Etching Acid, which is required to make Pneumaticraft PCB's. And I know there was some item which needed those PCB's (Steve's Carts Advanced PCB), and I had to skip it because I didn't have the Nitric Acid yet. So... maybe this is the time to go ahead and at least make a decent amount of it.

Last edited:

McFrugal

Jul 29, 2019
Personally I run Batty bees in apiaries to get gunpowder and make Powderbarrels for the implosion compressor. It's a slow but constant production of gunpowder and I don't use the compressor that often so I've got a nice backlog of powderbarrels.

Reactions: codewarrior0
T

targetingyou78

I mined a lot with Dynamite sticks. I actually setup a production chain to auto make it by throwing in some string, reeds. It is a ton of fun to mine that way but it could use a little work. The dynamite-o-mote could use a little work to make it more usable. Also, I can't see using explosives to mine in their current state to be useful at all.

S

Sven "flamestrider"

- crop -
- I read often now that you should protect your stuff from rain. Does that mean 'every' machine that I might build needs a little roof over it's top or just special ones, like everything that uses electric energy?

- Is it best to mine as much as possible from veins in the beginning or trying to only get just enough for what you need until you have better ways to process/mine things and let as much as possible either in chests or underground?

Electrical machines, in case of single block machines needs all faces protected from rain, you can do this by many routes but one you might not have thought of is by using a drain cover on the top of the machine, use a screwdriver to change it's state to keep away the rain. (it protects a 3x3 area from rain)
Multiblock machines with either energy dynamos or energy injection hatches also needs to be protected from rain.

To the second question, you could answer both yes and no... but to make it a bit obvious, you can always use iron, so I'd personally not feel bad about collecting any limonite or iron block I found... I generally leave magnetite for later.
If you are playing in early eras, LV, MV and such I'd also feel fine about gathering any copper ores since it's used in such huge quantities.

Anyhow, I hope that helps a bit.

Reactions: Nezraddin

McFrugal

Jul 29, 2019
Ugh, I found a problem in the questbook. The quest to get Hot Tungsten Ingots is BEFORE the quest to upgrade your coils to nichrome. You need nichrome coils before you can smelt Tungsten in the EBF!

Edit: oh god why does smelting Tungsten take so long
TEN minutes per ingot
why

This is absurd, it's easier to get LuV machines than IV machines! Chrome is easier to get than Tungstensteel and the other materials in LuV don't require IV as far as I can tell.

oh god Osmium is 11 minutes per ingot

Last edited:

asb3pe

Jul 29, 2019
Ugh, I found a problem in the questbook. The quest to get Hot Tungsten Ingots is BEFORE the quest to upgrade your coils to nichrome. You need nichrome coils before you can smelt Tungsten in the EBF!

Edit: oh god why does smelting Tungsten take so long
TEN minutes per ingot
why

This is absurd, it's easier to get LuV machines than IV machines! Chrome is easier to get than Tungstensteel and the other materials in LuV don't require IV as far as I can tell.

oh god Osmium is 11 minutes per ingot

I hear ya. :) It's for this very reason why I think it's even more important to play this modpack on somebody's server... because that's what the overnight is for, while I'm sleeping - making these long-duration items like Tungsten.

Of course, in order to get 6-8 hours of unattended production time, you need to make 110% sure that you've got your power generation in good working order, and that you can actually provide the 512 EU/t (or 480 or whatever the recipe requires) to the EBF for 8 hours straight. That's an obvious point, but it's not an easy thing to ensure! But it kind of forces me to be absolutely perfect with everything, which is motivation for me. If there's one error during the nighttime, then all that time gets wasted and I wake up to nothing, instead of a full output bus. And you never want to start the day off like that!

And it's been weeks since I made my Nichrome Coils for my EBF, and I've yet to see such a quest in the Quest book. I must be way, way behind now. LOL But I've played this pack once before, so I kind of know the drill I guess... but the quest book has been very helpful and has taught me numerous things I didn't know... so don't misunderstand my words. The quest book is an awesome addition to the pack because it acts as the overall guidebook (even if it might be out of logical order in a spot or two).

C

codewarrior0

and that you can actually provide the 512 EU/t (or 480 or whatever the recipe requires) to the EBF for 8 hours straight.

Have you ever tried using Machine Controller and Energy Detector covers with a dedicated battery buffer, to keep the thing running all night even if you can't provide the needed power? I try to do that for all of my multiblocks because it means I don't have to go over and soft hammer it in case of a power shortage.

https://github.com/JasonMcRay/InfiTech-1.7/issues/819

Nezraddin

Jul 29, 2019
@Sven "flamestrider"
Thank you for the hint. :)
Reading alot about these "covers" the last few pages in the forum. Guess I will understand them better once i reach the point of actually needing to make them. (when I hear covers I usually think about microblocks used to hide cables and so, heh)

----

So in the last few pages there was one more question building up:
- Can machines get damages when they run out of what they need to work (drilling fluid, power)?

I know that a few machines - usually something like steam boilers - can blow up when the coolant is missing. But in some postings the last few pages it sounds alot like just running out of any ressource can be bad for a machine. (like the last posting about the need to soft-hammer a multiblock machine once it runs out of power)

C

codewarrior0

just running out of any ressource can be bad for a machine

If a multiblock machine runs out of power, it will delete whatever input it was working on and shut off. This means you lose whatever that input was, and you will have to walk over to the machine and turn it back on with a soft hammer. If you don't know the machine had shut off, you might be goofing off for hours until you walk over and find out it hasn't done anything.

Multiblock generators also have a spin-up time, during which their fuel efficiency is reduced. If a generator runs out of fuel, it will spin down but not shut off. It will spin back up when it has fuel again. If it spends all its time spinning up and down because the fuel supply doesn't meet demand, it will suffer a huge efficiency penalty.

The Advanced Miner II is a special case. If it runs out of drilling fluid, it will stop working and stop consuming power, but won't shut off. It will automatically start again when you give it more drilling fluid.

Nezraddin

Jul 29, 2019
Thank you for the informations :)

Good to know that I really need to worry about getting stuff right, that's quiet exciting! So used in not worrying about machines (well I 'do' try to make it right always, so it's actually working fine, but it's not like I had to worry much yet when stuff didn't go totally right, heh).

So in case of the generators I guess it's best to calculate alot about how much energy you need and trying to make close to this amount that they never stop running?
(so no "Just let it run and fill up a dozen batteries and then let it stop")

Uh... I really should start a notebook with stuff like calculations and so. And happy that the Advanced Miner II is a bit of an exception, would be horrible to loose rare ore just cause you put too less drilling fluid in ^^"

asb3pe

Jul 29, 2019
I just filled 64 Empty Cells from a Reservoir, then right clicked the cells on a Drum to put 64 buckets of water into it... and all 64 cells are gone. That's not supposed to happen with any fluid, let alone water. I use Empty Cells all the time to transfer small amounts of fluids from location to location. And the empty cells always show up in my inventory. But this time they're gone, I don't seem them on the ground anywhere, they just vanished. Why?

Sometimes the cells don't show up in my inventory, they become invisible, and I have to click on the empty slot to make them appear. I'm sure some of you know what I mean. That's also odd behavior, but it happens so often I don't panic when I don't see the empty cells right away. But these cells are really, truly gone now, trust me. This isn't supposed to happen. It's very aggravating and maddening to realize some bug just cost me 128 tin ingots which is the cost of those cells. Why the F can't Cells work properly, it isn't just this modpack, it's probably the IC2 mod that is ultimately at fault.

C

codewarrior0

Because Water Cells are a special case. IC2 says they break and disappear when you decant them with anything other than a Fluid Canner.