[1.7.10][LISTED] InfiTech 2 Modpack v3.2.21 [HQM][GregTech balanced hard-mode modpack]

S

Sven "flamestrider"

You're post reminds me of a question I've been meaning to ask for a long long time.

What is lignite good for anyways? It is really just a very early energy source I always ignore for better options?
Solid Super Fuel allows for using Lignite instead of/in addition to using other fuels... early on it isn't all too useful imo. Added in Joels post about this "new" solid fuel.
Anyone know a lot and/or has implemented solid super fuel production? Ive looked into it a bit and by the looks of it it seems extremly interesting. I think it might be a nice route to go for when going from an oil based energy system to a solid fuel based system when you go beyond HV tier. So basically oil to LPG fuel that is then further refined into solid super fuel. You then utilize this in tungstensteel/titanium and large steam turbines for energy production.
If someone could give me input on how they built their system that would be extremly helpfull in figuring out how to optimize it myself.

I also have to look over if it is better to go for magical solid super fuel or the regular kind (more expensive but 150000 tics rather than 100000 tics)

anyone with any good nuclear reactor setups? im using nitro diesel atm. im currently quarrying a uranium vein.
Also, should i update? I'm still using 3.2.10, because it seems like theres a lot of problems atm.

EDIT: I see you can get Plutonium for depleted uranium rods, it seems like i can get more plutonium from recycling depleted uranium rods instead of centrifuging uranium. Is it better to get plutonium from a nuclear reactor?

Depleted uranium is good to get, since you need to make atleast one reactor to get the byproducts of thorium for higher tier recipes.

Thanks, then necessarily will use them.

Edit: well, replacing any of fuel rod by iridium reflector decrease eu output to 480eu/t (from 640) and I'm not so good understand compositions of reactors in order to compose reflector otherwise, so leave 4 rods for now.
I made a small mod for your setup using three Irr-Reflectors and three Q-Uranium:
Code:
21p7ev7y36r84wq1z3ezcp9d1w74dxewyzptt6s9xx3jlcimcvgqcjjj0nfl7vafsm17o9bstkhw0lc
560Eu/t or 1280HU/s at 4,67 Eff (4,12 88%) - 3 Quad Uranium (1399,31BC 36,00RC)
To view the build use the IC2 Reactor Planner V3, can be downloaded/used from https://forum.feed-the-beast.com/threads/request-for-ic2-reactor-planner-v3-download.164759/

Welcome to the madness :)
-crop-
Watch out for the thermal centrifuge though - should be used sparingly as it soaks up a lot of energy.
Indeed, I don't use the thermal centrifuge unless it gives me somthing I need that macerating Purified Crushed Ore and centrifuging the dust can't get me.

There are ways to increase efficiency of rubber production and consumption. The best way to produce rubber is via the Chemical Reactor, and the best way to use rubber is in liquid form via an Assembler. Or was there a better way of producing rubber? The Chemical Reactor's recipe is good enough for me-- it's 3 sulfur per 27 rubber.

It's one of my first early tech machine-combo to reduce resource-costs. You can use the LV version for all your Cable needs from MV copper and upwards... no need to complicate it more than a dedicated chem-reactor and assembler, unless you want to.

Alright. Thank you :]

Guess I stay with just smelting the ore for now, until I actually get into the next era where I can start using machines (still very early tech-wise, focused on making a nice house and getting food).
Luckily I build my base right aboth a limonite-vein, so at least getting iron shouldn't be a problem for a while, hehe.
Save the Brown Limonite for Thaumcraft processing into clusters... up to 3x iron early on.
Speaking of food: Did you see that they added making dough directly in a cauldron?

S

Sven "flamestrider"

@Joel Falk I noticed, while doing some of my own calculation, that your "mid tier calculations" sheet has some bad formulas... specifically the crackers use wrong values, Input fluid is 128L/operation and Output fluid is (x1.5)192L/operation running normally and with Hydrogen boost it's (x1.5 x1.3)249L/operation your calculations after this point is wrong.

I did my own sheet for calculating heavy oil -> gasses and ended up with an energy gain of 9'652EU/L(Heavy Oil) In nominal value ofc...
Sheet-link: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1O-UGYYupK_Ko7syjax2rtDGEUrFqq3IG3cF8rUojznQ/edit?usp=sharing

One thing that has me confused is your preferrence for reducing Methane into Hydrogen for running the refining process... doesn't make sense for me in a "lowest cost" perspective... since even using methane in a LV turbine to power electrolysis is more energy efficient than reducing methane into hydrogen... Could you give me your thoughts on this?

Edit: added link to document.

Last edited:

Celestialphoenix

Too Much Free Time
Nov 9, 2012
Tartarus.. I mean at work. Same thing really.
Is there a prospecting block or something that I can set down in the center of a 3x3 chunk and it'll tell me what ore is in the chunk? I was going to build a mining well, and use an engine to make the prospect of shaft building slightly better then I discovered it needed stainless steel, so no way can I do that (by the time I can easily make stainless steel... I've no idea why I'd even want to build one of those anyway...)

I have literally dug 50+ shafts in center chunks now without 1 single redstone vein. I even decided to just go to Y25, and dig straight for 1000 blocks, just to add some variety... No luck. Hours, and hours of tedious, tedious, tedious work just so I can make red alloy cable... Seriously considering using cofh commands here unless there's a non-cheaty option I'm missing.

If you're still looking for redstone- hit the nether. Dig about 8-10 blocks below the lava level, then tunnel sideways. You'll find some low level cave systems- which are good for finding ore seams. Bring cobblestone for making arrows/markers so you can find your way back out again.

If you can scrounge enough from small ores/dungeons ect, then you could make a centrifuge and extract tiny piles of redstone from netherrack.

Joel Falk

Jul 29, 2019
@Joel Falk I noticed, while doing some of my own calculation, that your "mid tier calculations" sheet has some bad formulas... specifically the crackers use wrong values, Input fluid is 128L/operation and Output fluid is (x1.5)192L/operation running normally and with Hydrogen boost it's (x1.5 x1.3)249L/operation your calculations after this point is wrong.

I did my own sheet for calculating heavy oil -> gasses and ended up with an energy gain of 9'652EU/L(Heavy Oil) In nominal value ofc...
Sheet-link: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1O-UGYYupK_Ko7syjax2rtDGEUrFqq3IG3cF8rUojznQ/edit?usp=sharing

One thing that has me confused is your preferrence for reducing Methane into Hydrogen for running the refining process... doesn't make sense for me in a "lowest cost" perspective... since even using methane in a LV turbine to power electrolysis is more energy efficient than reducing methane into hydrogen... Could you give me your thoughts on this?

Edit: added link to document.

It might be changes that has been done the recent patches, it might just also be a silly misstake :) ile try and look over when i have time.

The reason why i prefer to use methane is that i prefer to focus on a few energy types at a time. So the simple reason is that since i produce a lot of LPG (gas) and nitro diesel (fluid) i wouldnt also have a separate system for methane. Therefore from my perspective i rarely use methane as the LPG is better as a gaseous fuel. But i can still use it as a nice source of hydrogen and carbon dust which is needed in the process. Also it is cheaper to get the hydrogen from methane than hydrolyzing it from water (if you ignore energy value of methane). Another alternative would ofc be to hydrolyze water with gas turbines run on methane, but then i wont get carbon dust.

Thats also why i think its a lot nicer to have a heavy oil-> LPG setup rather than heavy oil->methane, LPG and nitro diesel since i only have to deal with 1 energy type so i can specialize power production more.

Question: What is the consumtion of hydrogen in the cracker, is it half of the amount of fuel it uses (128/2=64 nb) hydrogen per operation? If i dont need to check that up i can update the document in a jiffy

Last edited:
S

Sven "flamestrider"

-crop-
Question: What is the consumtion of hydrogen in the cracker, is it half of the amount of fuel it uses (128/2=64 nb) hydrogen per operation? If i dont need to check that up i can update the document in a jiffy
yeah it's 64L of hydrogen per operation.

asb3pe

Jul 29, 2019
If you're still looking for redstone- hit the nether. Dig about 8-10 blocks below the lava level, then tunnel sideways. You'll find some low level cave systems- which are good for finding ore seams. Bring cobblestone for making arrows/markers so you can find your way back out again.

If you can scrounge enough from small ores/dungeons ect, then you could make a centrifuge and extract tiny piles of redstone from netherrack.

I'd double down on this idea of nether-hunting for certain ores. Great redstone source, the nether, but more importantly you also need to be looking for a sulfur vein, which is required for making rubber. Finding a small sulfur ore here and there just won't cut it. Correct me if wrong but I think the Oregen book shows sulfur veins are mainly found low down in the nether (same levels as redstone if I'm not mistaken). And then the third material I've had some success with in the nether is Cobaltite, which is my go-to tool material. The fact the deep blue Cobaltite is located with the nicely green Garnierite makes it relatively easy to discover from reasonable distance. Redstone, on the other hand, well you're more than likely to just stumble upon it before you even see it's there. Talk about camouflaged. haha

asb3pe

Jul 29, 2019
Man, there is just no shortcuts in this modpack. I planned to skip the Bronze Large Boiler entirely, because why bother with making something that will instantly be inferior (to a Large Steel Boiler).

I guess this is where the Questbook comes in handy... because making a Bronze Large Boiler is one of the Quests, and therefore even if I did skip making one somehow (which doesn't seem easy or practicable), I'd still want to complete that Quest as some point in order to continue along in the book and unlock future Quests.

So, the bottom line is, there's no point to skipping any step. I'll go ahead, make my Bronze Large Boiler to complete the quest, and probably within one real day's worth of work I'll have a Large Steel Boiler up and running to replace it. I've already made all the parts for it, the only thing I need are those 4 darn Advanced Circuits for the Controller Block. Ah well.

Nedrith

Jul 29, 2019
You honestly don't need that sulfur vein. I spent forever looking for a sulfur vein, used probably mined a stack or so of ore ore and then never touched it. Sulfur is quite common from multiple sources that you'll need for other things. Cinnabar that is found in redstone veins centrifuges down to mercury and sulfur, mercury is great for increasing gold yields. Chalcopyrite has quite a bit of sulfur when processed down you lose a bit of copper in trade though. However the easiest source of sulfur if you don't get enough from normal mining and ore processing is the same netherrack dust that makes redstone, 99% chance to get small sulfur from 1 piece of netherrack.

Love the nether for finding redstone though. It's a pretty nice place just to fly around and look for veins once you get a jetpack. been too lazy to make a scanner.

asb3pe

Jul 29, 2019
Thanks Nedrith - here's one thing I learned that probably caused me some heartache... you can make the Circuits required for every LV machine with NO RUBBER AT ALL. I did not know that, thus all my heartache over the change to the rubber-making process.

Instead of using copper cable for Circuits (which requires a ton of rubber), make Circuits using Red Alloy Cable instead... because those only require paper, not rubber. I just realized this fact this afternoon as I was completing some Quests in the Questbook. There's a quest requiring 6 Red Alloy Cables, and I'm thinking "What the heck will I ever use these for?" Nothing I hate more than useless stuff lying around... so I press E and have a look at NEI recipes, and that's when I uttered a big "DOH!!!!!" out loud. hahahaha

So all this time I've been making copper cables for Circuits, and using up all that rubber, when I didn't have to.... sigh.

Based on this, I can no longer regard the rubber change as being overly difficult or "unbalanced". Like everything in this pack, it seems pretty perfect now. :D

I hear ya about sulfur, I've played this modpack before so I knew we'd get plenty eventually, more than we'd need. It was early-game that I was complaining about, but it was just OE - Operator Error. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Celestialphoenix
S

Sven "flamestrider"

-crop-
I hear ya about sulfur, I've played this modpack before so I knew we'd get plenty eventually, more than we'd need. It was early-game that I was complaining about, but it was just OE - Operator Error. :)
Later on when you get into using oil and making plastics you get a good surplus of sulfur from the sulfuric acid byproduct... But I also get a good amount of sulfur from my "Platinum Group" refinery. IMO sulfur is only a scarce resource early on... like everything else ;)

U

UNG_God

well today mark 6 months of gameplay of this modpack, so if the intention was to make something that takes time, it does.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Few questions. Bare in mind I'm still at the LV stage.
What's an efficient way of getting Wrought Iron? Must be a better option than smelting iron nuggets constantly because it takes forever.
At LV stage, probably more furnaces, or better furnaces. Don't be afraid to spam machines in this pack to get things done.

Can you automate the charcoal pit? If not, is there a nice alternative way to getting charcoal? Was looking at robots, but I'm not capable of making them yet.
I don't know a great way to automate the pit, although I've wanted to try using a Wand of Equal Trade. That said, make sure you are using the right tool to clear out the charcoal. You want an axe, not a pickaxe.

Is there a better early game option for item transfer than BC transport pipes? Item conduits are still a little too expensive for me, and I really would like to stop running around my entire base and farms having to collect stuff.
Yeah, automation as a whole improves as you move up the technology ladder. This was very important to Jason. At LV you still have very limited automation options.

S

Sven "flamestrider"

What's an efficient way of getting Wrought Iron? Must be a better option than smelting iron nuggets constantly because it takes forever.
I Believe thaumcraft offers a alternate route.
Can you automate the charcoal pit? If not, is there a nice alternative way to getting charcoal? Was looking at robots, but I'm not capable of making them yet.
no good automation options for LV... once you can make robots you can use "better" methods than the charcoal pit.

SolManX

Jul 29, 2019
Few questions. Bare in mind I'm still at the LV stage.

Is there a better early game option for item transfer than BC transport pipes? Item conduits are still a little too expensive for me, and I really would like to stop running around my entire base and farms having to collect stuff.

Re the automation, if you haven't already tried conveyors and pumps attached to machines, I'd suggest looking at them. You can use them to extract items/liquids to/from chests/tanks. You need a screwdriver to switch from import/export. I found them really handy in the early stages. You only need the LV versions and I had quite a few of each from selecting the component reward bags.

asb3pe

Jul 29, 2019

Something I discovered today... placing a Steam Macerator on top of a vanilla Hopper "pulls" finished items out of the machine. In conjunction with a Chest/Hopper combo on top to feed the Macerator, and using the single Solar Boiler I made for completing a Questbook task, I suddenly had a fully "automated" little flour-making setup using stuff that was otherwise collecting dust in a chest. :)

I always try to feed steam to my bronze-era machines from underneath, because that allows me to hide the hot steam pipes under the floor. But today's little experiment showed me that the bottom of a machine might be best utilized with a Hopper instead.

As for my setup, eventually after I log off the server, it rains and stops the boiler. And I think the boiler itself will only run for a while before it "calcifies" and must be broken and replaced to work again. But the hopper-below-the-machine trick was the important part of it.

For the reasons stated in your post, I try to keep everything as close together as possible and not spread out too much during early game. Moving items around is not a priority and almost everything I do is done manually.

I don't know a great way to automate the pit, although I've wanted to try using a Wand of Equal Trade. That said, make sure you are using the right tool to clear out the charcoal. You want an axe, not a pickaxe.

DOH!!! TY. :)

Last edited:
T

targetingyou78

Was there a change at how much steam the large boilers make at some point? I'm watching a youtube series and the guy has a large steel boiler powering two turbo steam turbines and I can barely power 3 MV steam turbines. Just curious if I messed something up or if this is just the max output.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Was there a change at how much steam the large boilers make at some point? I'm watching a youtube series and the guy has a large steel boiler powering two turbo steam turbines and I can barely power 3 MV steam turbines. Just curious if I messed something up or if this is just the max output.
Out of curiosity, how are you getting steam from your boiler to your turbines?