[1.7.10][LISTED] InfiTech 2 Modpack v3.2.21 [HQM][GregTech balanced hard-mode modpack]

asb3pe

Jul 29, 2019
I said "new world" so I start on a fresh environment at the same time as everyone else :)

Yep, I hear ya. :) Let's hope something positive develops and a great server appears for us Infitech2 Gregtech diehards. It would be great to play with the most devoted and knowledgable players who post here all the time.

SolManX

Jul 29, 2019
Guys, regarding the pure nodes from silverwood trees ... is there something specific in this pack that disallows using a node in a jar on them?

I watched a vid last night where HaighYorkie (Blightfall series) did just that ... chopped the tree down leaving the log with the node in, surrounded the log with glass, capped it with planks and hit it with his wand. He got the node.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Guys, regarding the pure nodes from silverwood trees ... is there something specific in this pack that disallows using a node in a jar on them?

I watched a vid last night where HaighYorkie (Blightfall series) did just that ... chopped the tree down leaving the log with the node in, surrounded the log with glass, capped it with planks and hit it with his wand. He got the node.
Sounds plausible enough, have you tried it?

SolManX

Jul 29, 2019
Not yet, not got a silverwood wand yet, but I should be able to later. Will report back later.

asb3pe

Jul 29, 2019
No I didn't try that, but that's why I was asking on the forums. I did some searching myself and did find an indication that it IS possible to jar a pure node. I figured leaving the block of wood and building the jar around it wouldn't work, but if it does work then that will be wonderful (except that I just destroyed a tree that had TWO nodes inside it, sigh). I also just unlocked the Advanced Node Jarring which I think is in Thaumic Tinkerer tab. I assume jarring a Pure Node will degrade it somehow so will prob have to use Advanced version, but luckily I just learned about it!

Reactions: Pyure

SolManX

Jul 29, 2019
No I didn't try that, but that's why I was asking on the forums. I did some searching myself and did find an indication that it IS possible to jar a pure node. I figured leaving the block of wood and building the jar around it wouldn't work, but if it does work then that will be wonderful (except that I just destroyed a tree that had TWO nodes inside it, sigh). I also just unlocked the Advanced Node Jarring which I think is in Thaumic Tinkerer tab. I assume jarring a Pure Node will degrade it somehow so will prob have to use Advanced version, but luckily I just learned about it!

From what I saw last night, it seems there's always a possibility that jarring a node degrades it. Haven't got anywhere near Thaumic Tinkerer yet, so would be good to know if it does negate the degradation!

SteelGiant

Jul 29, 2019
With absolute certainty, it is possible to jar a pure node that is still embedded in a block of silverwood. You can also scan through. Just get close and possibly hold shift when using the thaumometer.

Jarring nodes has a 75% chance to damage them. Damaging drops their "brightness" one level (ie bright -> normal, or normal to pale etc).

Also, when you jar a node, its CURRENT aspect values become its MAXIMUM aspect values. Don't jar anything you've drained recently.

Advanced node jarring has a 0% chance to damage the node.

Reactions: Dlur100 and SolManX

asb3pe

Jul 29, 2019
Thanks SteelGiant. I just planted a Silverwood in the Eerie Biome next to my base and I'm literally watching it convert the chunk over one column at a time from Eerie to Magical Forest. :) Yay, no more ugly zombie noises on that side of my base anymore!

Next step will be to capture the node when it's converted the entire 16x16 over and transfer it to my Node Room. Glad to know it's possible to do so! Even without using Advanced Node Jarring from TT, since a Node Room can hold 26 nodes, Pale Nodes don't really hurt too much. All of my captured nodes are multiples - such as Aer61 Ordo34 - and it always lists them as "Normal, Pale" which I interpret to mean one of the aspects regenerates normally but the other one regenerates more slowly... but with up to 26 of these, you're certain to have enough "juice" whenever you need it for a recharge.

SteelGiant

Jul 29, 2019
"Normal, pale" actually means that the entire node is pale. The "normal" at the front is actually not referring to the brightness of the node, but talking about its other status, whether it is Hungry, Pure, Tainted or sinister (or normal).

For wand recharging, nothing beats having energised nodes. You have have vis relays going all round your base, so everything is constantly recharging. Get a node that has 25 (or more) humanus (or an aspect that contains humanus) and transduce it immediately. This will give you 1 vis per second (or more) in all aspects continuously, forever. Once you have this baseline power provided you can think about feeding other nodes up to make a stronger one to transduce, but it isn't worth waiting a week to get one that is twice as good as one that is already pretty good.

asb3pe

Jul 29, 2019
"Normal, pale" actually means that the entire node is pale. The "normal" at the front is actually not referring to the brightness of the node, but talking about its other status, whether it is Hungry, Pure, Tainted or sinister (or normal).

For wand recharging, nothing beats having energised nodes. You have have vis relays going all round your base, so everything is constantly recharging. Get a node that has 25 (or more) humanus (or an aspect that contains humanus) and transduce it immediately. This will give you 1 vis per second (or more) in all aspects continuously, forever. Once you have this baseline power provided you can think about feeding other nodes up to make a stronger one to transduce, but it isn't worth waiting a week to get one that is twice as good as one that is already pretty good.

Wow, well I must be lucky. I did indeed find a Humanus node with 48 and even more amazing, I didn't jar it up or otherwise damage it. Unfortunately reading the rest of your post is like reading a foreign language (don't take it personal, it's all my fault for not knowing Thaumcraft), so it may take me a while before I truly comprehend. But thanks, I'll start figuring it out right now.

It's scary to do anything with nodes when you realize you don't understand what you're doing. LOL I already destroyed one good node because I was a noob, don't want to keep making such mistakes.

asb3pe

Jul 29, 2019
Thanks SteelGiant. I just planted a Silverwood in the Eerie Biome next to my base and I'm literally watching it convert the chunk over one column at a time from Eerie to Magical Forest. :) Yay, no more ugly zombie noises on that side of my base anymore!

Uh, it appears the Silverwood only has a range of 8 blocks? Or else it has really slowed down the conversion because center of the chunk is Magical Forest but the outer edges are still all Eerie. Maybe I have to plant 4 more trees, one at each corner? I thought I read that one tree would convert the entire chunk over, but that apparently is not the case.

Edit: I'm wondering if perhaps the node isn't "Pure"? I'm reading that all Silverwood trees planted will convert an 8-block radius around them to Magical Forest, however only those with Pure Nodes inside will convert the entire chunk. Unfortunately I haven't dug into the middle to try and scan the node and see what it is. Guess I'm gonna have to do that and find out.... okay, it is indeed a Pure Node, but it's very small - only 9 Ordo and 6 Spiritus. I wonder if that's the problem?

Last edited:

SolManX

Jul 29, 2019
With absolute certainty, it is possible to jar a pure node that is still embedded in a block of silverwood. You can also scan through. Just get close and possibly hold shift when using the thaumometer.

Jarring nodes has a 75% chance to damage them. Damaging drops their "brightness" one level (ie bright -> normal, or normal to pale etc).

Also, when you jar a node, its CURRENT aspect values become its MAXIMUM aspect values. Don't jar anything you've drained recently.

Advanced node jarring has a 0% chance to damage the node.

Thanks for the certainty, SG. Also, good to know about the current becoming the max.

asb3pe

Jul 29, 2019
a range (radius) of 8 blocks would still cover a chunk, so a node in the center of a chunk will cover the whole.

Silly me - I wasn't looking at chunk boundaries, I was looking at the square black shape the Eerie biome formed, and assumed it was 16x16 and one chunk. It isn't, it's larger than that, probably 24x24, and it actually covers portions of 4 chunks.

But the Silverwood tree conversion is also not following chunk boundaries, it has converted some - but not all - of the blocks within a radius of 7 from the center block of the tree. I keep reading in wikis and reddit posts about how the Silverwood can "instantly" convert an entire chunk to Magical Forest. Perhaps the mechanic on that has changed, or perhaps that information was incorrect. Still experimenting with it obv.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
My experience is that it happens over time. If I wander around with F3, I'll notice the "biome" of the blocks I'm walking on gradually convert to magical forest.

asb3pe

Jul 29, 2019
My experience is that it happens over time. If I wander around with F3, I'll notice the "biome" of the blocks I'm walking on gradually convert to magical forest.

Well I've basically learned one thing so far - the idea that the biome conversion process adheres to chunk boundaries is incorrect. I guess I was under a mistaken impression that any particular chunk can only have one biome "attached" to it, but that is clearly not the case, as can also be seen by the way Taint infects lands, literally block-column by block-column... it doesn't happen chunk by chunk. So it's really not even worthwhile to worry about chunks at all, I guess the idea is to plant enough Silverwood trees in a pattern so that their 8-block radius covers the entire area of Eerie (or Taint). Or do it one tree at a time - plant, convert, chop down, move sapling location - until all the Eerie is gone.

I also learned this, easier to just go copy it than explain:
http://thaumcraft-4.wikia.com/wiki/Silverwood_Tree

"A silverwood-grown node can be collected as a Node in a Jar. This will require cutting away the wood around it to make room for the "jar" construct. (Be careful with that Axe of the Stream!) Note that the capture will destroy the node's silverwood block, leaving a "bare" pure node. When placed, this will no longer produce magical forest, but it will revert territory changed by any of the invasive magical biomes, back to its original biome. This applies to Tainted Lands, Eerie biomes, or even Magical Forest."

The point being... plant a tree with a Pure Node to get Magical Forest... or else capture the Pure Node in a jar and then place it/wand it to get back the original biome instead. Those are apparently our two options.

Last edited:

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Well I've basically learned one thing so far - the idea that the biome conversion process adheres to chunk boundaries is incorrect. I guess I was under a mistaken impression that any particular chunk can only have one biome "attached" to it, but that is clearly not the case, as can also be seen by the way Taint infects lands, literally block-column by block-column... it doesn't happen chunk by chunk.
Yeah as a developer I could definitely see how it would be tempting to tie biomes directly to chunks but it would make for some pretty ugly landscapes :)

twisto51

Jul 29, 2019
I help admin a server but I'm the only one in our group who enjoys GT. Put up The Dark Trilogy for awhile and even the progression in that pack was too much for most of them. The packs they like I'm omnipotent in in a couple days, the packs I like they give up on in a couple days. :p GT on a server would be interesting simply to see how other people tackle the various hurdles first hand.

When I'm making magic biome with silverwoods I just plant them in a grid and chop down/replant those that don't have nodes. I really only do that so I can have pechs in a mob farm.

Reactions: Dlur100

asb3pe

Jul 29, 2019
When I'm making magic biome with silverwoods I just plant them in a grid and chop down/replant those that don't have nodes. I really only do that so I can have pechs in a mob farm.

For some reason everybody likes Magical Forest biomes - so many advantages to them like Pechs and Mana Beans in addition to just being a nice shade of green grass. On my server, everybody always makes a beeline for one to make their base in. lol

But yeah I've been reading that Ethereal Blooms will do the same thing, get rid of the Eerie biome which causes me to hear zombie noises all the time. So now I'm switching tactics to those instead. My whole line of thinking was this idea that I read somewhere, that Silverwood Trees can "convert an entire chunk". But all they really meant by that was that it has an 8 block radius, which turns out to be a 16x16 area identical to a chunk's area. But it has nothing to do with chunks! So I have to get that idea out of my head. Just plant a few Ethereal Blooms, wait a bit, and be done with it. :)

UrNotFunny

Jul 29, 2019
Well... quite honestly, I think it might be a bit confusing if you DID play on the official server. Players would constantly be wondering... is that the REAL Jason or just the fake Headcrumbs version?

It fooled me the first time. I'm minding my own business, when all the sudden something hits me and causes damage. I turn around, and... OMG! IT'S JASON McRAY!! I seriously thought it was you, dude. LOL You hit me a second time, and I thought you were just fooling around, but now I was starting to get pissed. "Was it something I said on the Official modpack Forum?" LMAO Somewhere around this point, I realized it was Headcrumbs (which I didn't even know was in the modpack). But it was quite funny. :)

I bolded the part you said, because I think this is what happened on the server I play on. You see, I don't work so I can play 18 hours every day (and usually do). I was progressing way faster than the other players and I do think they got kinda jealous or something. When I made the NanoSuit and began flying around, that was the last day I saw another player on the server, about 10 days ago. It really does appear as if they got fed up with my progress (and their lack of progress) and quit. sigh

I asked my server admin to add all the players who play on the server to the headcrumbs config, fun times. I've got several of Jason's heads from him spawning, I'm glad he added himself.