[1.7.10][LISTED] InfiTech 2 Modpack v3.2.21 [HQM][GregTech balanced hard-mode modpack]

asb3pe

Jul 29, 2019
Hehe had this discussion not so long ago. To be honest, once I need to worry about it, I'll cheat in a chunkloader and fix the config so that it doesn't require fuel.

Since I'm in SSP, I really don't need to worry like server owners might, and I don't think that walking a certain distance away from your base should make your machines stop working.

Yeah I just moved from SSP to SMP since I tend to cheat too much. haha So now I have to play by the book, but I can't honestly see why we'd use RC anchors when we have the Dimensional Anchors that require no fuel and the server operator can even restrict how many chunks we're allowed to load via their config files or something. I was using a RC anchor in SSP as well, but I didn't know about the other one.

asb3pe

Jul 29, 2019
Any idea why the GT plunger isn't working? I'm right clicking the machines but the fluid remains. It worked in SSP but now I'm on SMP and when I right click a machine it just opens the machine GUI, it doesn't clear the tank. I tried the Assembling Machine and the Distiller and the Electrolyzer, I ended up just breaking the machine and replacing it back.

SolManX

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah I just moved from SSP to SMP since I tend to cheat too much. haha So now I have to play by the book, but I can't honestly see why we'd use RC anchors when we have the Dimensional Anchors that require no fuel and the server operator can even restrict how many chunks we're allowed to load via their config files or something. I was using a RC anchor in SSP as well, but I didn't know about the other one.

It's funny how the slippery the slope is when it comes to cheating, so I tend to set out what I can cheat and what I can't before I start. I definitely cheat stuff back in when some 'bug' destroys my goods (eg XACT crafter eating my stuff). I always turn brightness up to max in the nether and I always cheat in at least one chunkloader!!

It goes the other way too, though. I never get flight (jetpacks, harnesses etc) because for whatever reason, once I've got it, it seems a lot of the challenge dissipates - but I will use the hang-glider from open blocks (have to change configs for that in this pack).

SolManX

Jul 29, 2019
In theory, we're supposed to appreciate that we use less floor space, and incur less connection-cost. (Every machine that outputs power taxes that power, so 1 HV machine taxes less than 16 LV machines)

In practice, it just drives people nuts.

Oh yes, I see. I suppose if you're using a pure gregtech pack then you'd have to deal with them anyway!

DarknessShadow

Jul 29, 2019
It goes the other way too, though. I never get flight (jetpacks, harnesses etc) because for whatever reason, once I've got it, it seems a lot of the challenge dissipates - but I will use the hang-glider from open blocks (have to change configs for that in this pack).
The glider is disabled because the enderio armor has the same function and its more expensive.

UrNotFunny

Jul 29, 2019
The glider is disabled because the enderio armor has the same function and its more expensive.

Yea, but I think the "Glider Wings" can still be crafted. Last I looked you could make those wings but then not combine them into the Hang Glider. Super fun to find that out the hard way!

nonamefhh

Jul 29, 2019
I've never even gotten into MV era in a GT modpack, so I had no idea that "nobody has ever built an HV turbine". I thought the natural progression was LV to MV to HV. What do I know? Nothing! Well, this is how we learn, so now I know.

btw you can power MV machines with LV. It just needs 4 time more energy, thats how I power most of my MV machines after i get my first MV machines.

SolManX

Jul 29, 2019

Fair enough - but I like it early to make really big explorations of the local territory, especially in a pack like this, where even a desert can be almost impossible to find.

nouille_07

Jul 29, 2019
Hi everyone, I'd like to say thank you for this very nice pack!

So, I got a problem, why can't I use my alumentum in my greg's machines?? Is that intended?

I can't seem to find any answer in the thread and I don't want to look at all the pages x)

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Hi everyone, I'd like to say thank you for this very nice pack!

So, I got a problem, why can't I use my alumentum in my greg's machines?? Is that intended?

I can't seem to find any answer in the thread and I don't want to look at all the pages x)
Which machines are you trying to use alumentum in?

nouille_07

Jul 29, 2019
Which machines are you trying to use alumentum in?

"high pressure coal boiler" so.. I may just figured that out by myself.. but it doesn't work either in the "bronze plated blast furnace"

should it be working in the large boilers?

Dlur100

Jul 29, 2019
"high pressure coal boiler" so.. I may just figured that out by myself.. but it doesn't work either in the "bronze plated blast furnace"

should it be working in the large boilers?
Alumentum doesn't work in LP Coal Boiler, HP Coal Boiler, Bronze Blast Furnace. It also doesn't work in Steve's Workshop Production table (but did in IT2 2.x). Alumentum does work properly in the Large Bronze Boiler and those tiers above it. Alumentum also works properly in the RC solid fuel boiler.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Alumentum doesn't work in LP Coal Boiler, HP Coal Boiler, Bronze Blast Furnace. It also doesn't work in Steve's Workshop Production table (but did in IT2 2.x). Alumentum does work properly in the Large Bronze Boiler and those tiers above it. Alumentum also works properly in the RC solid fuel boiler.
What he said :)

The idea here is that these machines don't just function based on "heat". They either require specific chemicals to function, generate byproducts which wouldn't make sense with other materials, or both. (For instance, it wouldn't necessarily make sense to generate carbon ash from alumentum)

nouille_07

Jul 29, 2019
oh yeah the byproducts! 100% legit then. guess I'll have to get more charcoal :/ I really wanted to use something else instead of having to make a treefarm... does oil make a good alternative to steam? or is big steam boilers (either greg or RC) the only way to go? is it possible to run with ethanol?

edit: oh and am I the only one to go heavy on thaumcraft? I did not build any electrical machine because I am too busy doing thaumcraft :/ I felt having to craft tons of tools was too expensive, how good are the electric tools? I never tried it.

Last edited:

Joel Falk

Jul 29, 2019
Did some further testing on the efficiency of gas turbines in LV, MV and HV. Very simple test: 32 buckets of biogas (total energy content 32*32000=1024000 eu) which i ran in a the three tiers of gas generators into a battery buffer filled with empty lithium batteries to see the actual efficiency of the system with the turbines efficiency and machine losses taken into consideration.
http://prntscr.com/8jbcbn
So a quick summery:
LV: 805536/1024000= 78,7% efficiency
MV: =741888/1024000=72,5% efficiency
HV:602112/1024000=58,8% efficiency.

Surprisingly the MV is actually very close to the LV in actual efficiency but there is a substantial drop down to HV. Based on this i will probably go for more MV generators rather than chaining a lot of LV generators as the reduction in generator efficiency is easily accounted for in the much lower cable losses of LV vs MV.

These result should be the same for diesel generators but not for steam turbines. If someone is interested i could do something similar for steam.

jogi01

Jul 29, 2019
Yes, that's a balancing factor. You can't just easily fuel a large steam boiler in the early game and have awesome amounts of power right away.

Or, rather, you can if you want to. The furnace/charcoal thing is a configuration item in the GT or IC2 config file.

thx for answer :)

but...
you can build 30 coke ovens which makes the same than 6 railcraft steam ovens without consuming steam so thats a question about tps i think...
now i have to farm some clay ;)

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
edit: oh and am I the only one to go heavy on thaumcraft? I did not build any electrical machine because I am too busy doing thaumcraft :/
I did this in my current world. Went heavy on thaumcraft, ended up delaying a ton of stuff as a result.

Producing steel from thaumcraft is just too nice though not to do it, and I really wanted to check out thaumic energistics (which is completely awesome btw)

Reactions: MigukNamja

nouille_07

Jul 29, 2019
ended up delaying a ton of stuff as a result
oh, so I'm not the only one x) but this fortress armor is sooo nice :3

Producing steel from thaumcraft is just too nice though not to do it
only realised how easy it was once my blast furnace was up and running...

as for thaumic energistics.. I never really use AE for the same reasons I never use Big Reactors, but it sure looks waaay easier than those damn pipes :mad:

as for the biogas, I'm back to test world, I have to see how the biomass / biogas cycle works in 1.7

Dlur100

Jul 29, 2019
I finally found a Platinum Vein along with associated Iridium Ore. Yay! I soon realized after destroying 2 ore blocks of Iridium that I probably needed a level 4 pick. I ran back to my base and used some Iridium ore chest loot to craft an Iridium pick. I went to toss it in my anvil to apply an Unbreaking III enchantment to it, and realized I couldn't even put it in the anvil. I tried my osmotic enchanter. No go there either. Are iridium tools completely un-enchantable?

Also, this got me thinking, is it possible to enchant standard GT tools with Unbreaking III to any effect. Let's find out...when I finish mining this vein :)

Also, here you can see how I was led astray about the Iridium ore by WAILA:
FdrFdEY.png

J28CCin.png

Last edited:

asb3pe

Jul 29, 2019
So I just found out that Dimensional Anchors do require fuel (if the config is set, which my server's apparently is), and the cost is pretty steep.

http://www.minecraftforum.net/forum...ibiss-mods-now-with-85-7-less-version-numbers

For a 3x3 chunk base, the most reasonable material cost is one stack of coal, which lasts a little over one hour. That's 8 stacks of coal just to log off and get 8 hours of needed sleep. Kind of ridiculous. If you have an enderpearl supply then you can make Eye of Ender which is the best fuel available for the chunk loader, and that will give you between 3 and 4 hours. So every night while sleeping will cost 2 stacks.

Now I kinda wish I didn't spend all the time and materials the machines to make this Anchor thing. LOL sigh What else is new? Well, I got a few MV machines out of the deal I guess...

I just asked the server operator about the fuel cost, and he doesn't know anything about the mod whatsoever. :)

I guess I'm gonna have to just load a 3x1 "X Line" instead of a 3x3 chunk area. Thankfully I haven't expanded outwards yet, so 3x1 will cover all my stuff, and it's only 3 times the default cost instead of 9 times.

Last edited: