[1.7.10][LISTED] InfiTech 2 Modpack v3.2.21 [HQM][GregTech balanced hard-mode modpack]

• FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

DarknessShadow

Jul 29, 2019
I've been digging long horizontal shafts to discover ore veins, but it sure is a slow process with few discoveries. Is it still recommended that the best method is to dig a 2-wide vertical shaft to bedrock at 3-chunk intervals, in order to find ores?
The best method is a mining laser for a quick 1x1 hole to bedrock and then using a scanner while flying down to find ores.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
The best method is a mining laser for a quick 1x1 hole to bedrock and then using a scanner while flying down to find ores.
If you're going to be drilling down anyway, the scanner doesn't really serve much purpose. You know where the veins "should" be since they're in a grid pattern.

I like the scanner for horizontal mining, to catch veins that I'm just above or below and would otherwise miss.

asb3pe

Jul 29, 2019

Egg-cellent. Hopefully will be out of the caveman era soon and will be able to drive my Lamborghini back to the future, where they have all the cool stuff. :)

In the meantime, I've finally graduated from cobblestone pickaxes and decided that Blue Steel isn't too terribly expensive to make, or to waste, on picks. And I also just discovered that I can make a Titanium pickaxe for the simple cost of finding some Bauxite. That's pretty nice. But yeah... electric tools are def the thing. Can't wait til I get there.

Dlur100

Jul 29, 2019
I ran into something a bit odd today. I just finished my cursed earth spawner. It works great. I grew some Silverywood trees with pure nodes in them on the dirt before I put down the cursed earth, and chopped down the tree except for the node. This causes varyous types of Pechs to spawn in addition to the regular mobs spawned by cursed earth. Yay! My iron golem farm is directly above the killbox for my mob farm, so all the golems die on my looting 3 diamond spikes for more iron :) I'm using a Siren's lure to make the mobs fall off of the cursed earth into the diamond spikes.

So all that's working great and I've finally got a steady source of Metallum and Lucrum essentia. Yay!

Here's the odd bit. Ever since I put down the cursed earth I am getting random zombies spawning inside my factory. The entire factory is lit up well. I went around every single spot with F7 on to make sure there were no unlit areas. I ONLY get zombies spawning, no other mobs (thankfully no creepers). The really fun part is that in addition to being well lit, most of the floor of my factory is non-spawnable blocks like half slabs. Yet these zombies still manage to spawn somehow inside my main building.

My mob spawner is 1 chunk away, north of my factory. The other odd part is that Squezy also had this issue on the official server with zombies randomly spawning inside his factory.

Reactions: MigukNamja

zBob

Jul 29, 2019
snip

I ONLY get zombies spawning, no other mobs (thankfully no creepers). The really fun part is that in addition to being well lit, most of the floor of my factory is non-spawnable blocks like half slabs. Yet these zombies still manage to spawn somehow inside my main building.

My mob spawner is 1 chunk away, north of my factory.

This is part of the vanilla zombie mechanics introduced in 1.6, they can call in friends when they get hurt and according to the link below it can be any where in an 80x80x80 box centered on the injured zombie

http://minecraft.gamepedia.com/Zombie/lt#Reinforcements

Reactions: MigukNamja

Joel Falk

Jul 29, 2019
Here is the methanol train im looking into:
http://prntscr.com/8jnf4o
Managed to produce about 14838 mb of ethanol from 5 drums of steam which is equal to 4 lava buckets in a high pressure lava boiler with the steam being the intermediate power source (166860 eu per lava bucket). it also consumed 204 potatoes at a pace of 1 potato every 2,8 seconds. Or 1,03 mb/tick of methanol (46 eu/tick)

Quite a bit lower than expected but i should be able to run a MV gas turbine off 3-4 of these trains with 6-8 high pressure lava boilers. would need a bit more than 1 potato per second which could be a problem

asb3pe

Jul 29, 2019
What is the recipe for Ender IO Redstone Alloy? The ingot only references the block, and the block only references the ingot. Well that really helps. LOL I tried one iron ingot plus one redstone dust in a GT alloy smelter, and nothing.

Edit: Nevermind, relogged in SSP and now I see it's the same alloy as is used for Elec Circuits.

Jason McRay

Jul 29, 2019
What is the recipe for Ender IO Redstone Alloy? The ingot only references the block, and the block only references the ingot. Well that really helps. LOL I tried one iron ingot plus one redstone dust in a GT alloy smelter, and nothing.

Edit: Nevermind, relogged in SSP and now I see it's the same alloy as is used for Elec Circuits.
Another one who doesnt read changelogs :) j/k

There is currently bug with minetweaker and servers. For the recipes to synchronize you need to first start SSP and then you can join server. It will get fixed hopefully next pack update

Sliderpro

Jul 29, 2019
Hi. Modpack is absoultely awesome, thanks for it.
I have a mid-game related question. What kind of energy source you guys use?
I thought that steam was good idea, but solar boilers kinda dont have an impact midgame with ~200k/aluminum ingot.
I tried ethanol and its kinda waste because lf sapling requirements
Tried rc solid boilers with charcoal and it eats way too much with 2x2.
Managed to get IC2 nuclear SOMEHOW - and I feel its kinda waste with thorium with high costing reactor items
So, I think that the best is liquid fed rc boiler with gasoline, as its 1:1 to oil and gives fast ~100K pure energy in diesel/burns wonderfull in rc boiler.

What kind of source you guys use for EBF?

Joel Falk

Jul 29, 2019
Im looking into the same thing. So far ive mostly used gasoline with Diesel generators however then you have to look for oil ALL of the time since you will quite quickly run ut, especially when you venture into 512 volt tier. I tried steam into methanol system as it gives to little energy per time for the amount of machines it requires. Im not a very big fan of steam as i think the tree farm into charcoal and RC boiler has been done to death several years ago.
I did find out that you can start making nuclear very quickly. I think its possible to do the basic reactors in LV era. So what im thinking is to make 1-2 full sized uranium 235 reactors that produces 200-300 eu/piece which you then connect to several CESU battery buffers which should be able to be converted into gregtech voltage (mfe requires HV autoclave :( ).

Actually not entirely sure how you convert IC2 EU to gregtech eu, i know it involves IC2 battery buffers and gregtech transformers but im not entirely sure how it really works out. For instance if i use CESU buffers could i either use 4 to produce 1 amp of 512 V or 1 CESU to produce 4 amp of 32 voltage? I haven't tried it so im not sure of the specifics.

As you progress into 512 you should be able to go into the more advanced fluid reactors where thorium really shines or MOX reactors to get into the 2048 voltage tier.
OFC this requires you to find a nice solid vein of galena ore and uranium ore which isn't all that easy to do unless you are lucky in the start.

When you can make 2048 stuff im going for the distillation tower to produce biogas from sheared leaves :p 1 leaf block to 1biochaff to 1 bucket of biomass to 32 buckets of biogas with a net gain of about 500000-600000 eu :p

Sliderpro

Jul 29, 2019
Nope, ic2 reactors are impossible until MV and most machinery there. Anybody has a guide for IC2 steam reactors? I m from old school..
Not sure about big reactor though. However, they take considerable amount of steel to make. But kinda trash ic2.
Transger from ic2 to greg isnt hard. U have ic2 battbox, plug it into gt transf and thats it

Joel Falk

Jul 29, 2019
What from MV is required that you can't make in LV? i checked some of the recepies this morning and i didn't find anything.

I don't think there is any complete guide on the steam reactors from ic2. But basically you make coolant with distilled water and lapis dust. Put it into reactor and get hot coolant out. You then put the hot coolant into a heat exchanger that transfers the heat either into a stirling engine to make power directly (at a rate of 0,5* amount of coolant eu/tick with each heat exchanger being able to handle 100 Hu/s. The heat echanger produce coolant again which you send back into the 5x5x5 reactor. If you heat exchange a steam generator (you will need to use distilled water in the boiler or the generator calcifies) to produce steam. set the pressure for something like 225 bars and 1 mb/tick for every 200 Hu/s you put into the steam generator to get superheated steam. You then have 2 chained kinetic steam generators to produce power first from superheated steam and then steam. At the end of the train you use a condenser to collect the distilled water (you also need to remove some from the last steam turbine) which you send back to the steam generator.

I have a youtube link to a ic2 only guide for superheated steam in my reactor design guide which is probably your best bet of making it work. It should be noted that there are a lot of ways of making the setup easier in this modpack thanks to pyure.

http://forum.industrial-craft.net/i...29&s=f30dd1b0f192d03ae493c1cd737288403c0a3f05

My recomendation is to go stirling untill you are comfortable with the 5x5x5 reactor. If you screw up the superheated steam train the heat exchangers will stop working and thus the cooling to your reactor. And then you have a crater where your base once was :(

SteelGiant

Jul 29, 2019
I currently have 3 power trains:

8 x (7 Gregtech High pressure coal boilers feeding 1 Gregtech LV turbine). Total: 256 EU/t
2x (9 Railcraft liquid boilers using creosote with 36 Low Pressure tanks on top). Total: ~240 EU/t (haven't measured exactly)

256 solar panels in a giant array feeding into an HV line: 215 EU/t (daytime) 0 EU/t (nighttime) ~140EU/t average

The boilers are powered by 48 coke furnaces, which are in turn supplied by 1 thaumium golem chopping greatwood trees. The golem treefarm produces an absurd quantity of greatwood logs, an excess of over 100k a day ON TOP OF what the coke furnaces use (it filled a 256k barrel while I was away). The furnaces produce a slight excess of charcoal (~1k/day), and exactly the right amount of creosote to keep the liquid boilers at max temp (for 5 days now) with no excess build up of creosote at all.

I really wanted to set up IC2 nuclear, but I keep getting sidetracked into handling other things, and the resource processing etc needed to keep it going for the power it gives just doesn't make it a must have, even though I've been able to do it for a while.

Last edited:

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Hi. Modpack is absoultely awesome, thanks for it.
I have a mid-game related question. What kind of energy source you guys use?
I thought that steam was good idea, but solar boilers kinda dont have an impact midgame with ~200k/aluminum ingot.
I tried ethanol and its kinda waste because lf sapling requirements
Tried rc solid boilers with charcoal and it eats way too much with 2x2.
Managed to get IC2 nuclear SOMEHOW - and I feel its kinda waste with thorium with high costing reactor items
So, I think that the best is liquid fed rc boiler with gasoline, as its 1:1 to oil and gives fast ~100K pure energy in diesel/burns wonderfull in rc boiler.
What kind of source you guys use for EBF?
I currently use nuclear fission. 2 Thorium 5x5 reactors, and a BigReactors reactor that hasn't actually turned on in weeks but its there if I need it.

The simplest producer at your point is a tree farm. See steelgiant's comment below, but basically any tree farm will net you tons of coal, and ethanol if you want it. Thaumcraft is, by far, the best way to do this since its 100% free to run.

Actually not entirely sure how you convert IC2 EU to gregtech eu, i know it involves IC2 battery buffers and gregtech transformers but im not entirely sure how it really works out. For instance if i use CESU buffers could i either use 4 to produce 1 amp of 512 V or 1 CESU to produce 4 amp of 32 voltage? I haven't tried it so im not sure of the specifics.
To transform IC2 power into GT power, you simply need to attach a GT transformer to an IC2 energy-storage machine. Generally speaking, that means an IC2 transformer or an IC2 battery (mfsu, mfe, cesu, batbox). NOT an ic2 wire, it has to be an actual machine.

Joel Falk

Jul 29, 2019
And depending of which side you face out you get the voltage you want? I.e you can freely choose between 32 and 128 or 128 and 512

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
And depending of which side you face out you get the voltage you want? I.e you can freely choose between 32 and 128 or 128 and 512
I seem to recall that it was fiddly with respect to facing sometimes. But yeah, so long as the IC2 has enough power, you should be able to face the GT side either way (you'd need to "hammer" it however if you want it to up-transform)

Joel Falk

Jul 29, 2019
There is always the golem tree farm but what ways are there to produce large quantaties of aggricultural stuff such as potatoes and the like? And what do we have to increase the growth rate of the crops?

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
There is always the golem tree farm but what ways are there to produce large quantaties of aggricultural stuff such as potatoes and the like? And what do we have to increase the growth rate of the crops?
You mentioned golem tree farm, but golems can also harvest normal farms. Also, thaumcraft has a Lamp of Growth that speeds the growth of crops similar to bonemealing them, so long as its fed herba essentia.

IC2 (or GT?) has a farming machine for IC2 crops. I believe EnderIO has a farming machine, I haven't tried it yet.

Forestry obviously has the big multifarm block, although forestry in general is a bit nerfed atm.