[1.7.10][LISTED] InfiTech 2 Modpack v3.2.21 [HQM][GregTech balanced hard-mode modpack]

• FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

asb3pe

Jul 29, 2019
Are all vanilla potions turned off in this modpack? Are they replaced by a mod perhaps? I want to go fight blazes, so what is a way to acquire fire resistance?

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Also, this got me thinking, is it possible to enchant standard GT tools with Unbreaking III to any effect. Let's find out...when I finish mining this vein :)
GT Tools are not enchantable. Also, I've made that mistake with iridium ore too, thinking I was mining it successfully. Fortunately you'll get more iridium than you really know what to do with (spoiler: you really mostly care about the osmium byproducts)

Are all vanilla potions turned off in this modpack? Are they replaced by a mod perhaps? I want to go fight blazes, so what is a way to acquire fire resistance?
Dunno :\ I thought all vanilla potions were fine, but I don't brew much. You *might* have to do it in the GT brewing machine thingy.

Dlur100

Jul 29, 2019
GT Tools are not enchantable. Also, I've made that mistake with iridium ore too, thinking I was mining it successfully. Fortunately you'll get more iridium than you really know what to do with (spoiler: you really mostly care about the osmium byproducts)

Yeah, I'm waiting to process it until I can maximize the byproduct output with HV machines. You can still end up using a fair bit of iridium to craft quantum armor and the gravisuit. Tin always seems to be more limiting of a factor though :)

semedori

Jul 29, 2019
I've ended up using large amounts of iridium for turbine rotors, they last for ages and ages which I prefer to some of the higher output alternatives.

(and of course I double check.. could get the same durability from tungtsensteel, at a higher output... but thats a whole lot of tungstensteel too and I had the iridium to use)

Jason McRay

Jul 29, 2019
They just dont appear in the NEI thanks to INpureCore. I can re-add them (you can do it on your own side by just deleting (or commenting out - // ) this line. I am thinking about disabling the vanilla brewing and letting players to use GT Brewing Machine to brew potions (*evil grin*)

edit: But after checking if it is anyhow possible... it is not. So only way would be to disable Brewing Stand. This might happen, but most likely when and IF we will have some World Breaking update (v4.x)

Last edited:

Joel Falk

Jul 29, 2019
Gonna try and make a interesting transition from the steam age into a methane based system. Im gonna produce steam with several lava boilers into a large buffer. Following that im gonna have a few LV steam turbines with ULV transformers to run 4 centrifuges per steam turbine (red alloy cables for 0 cable loss) to produce methane running off a small automated potato farm. Then i put the methane in a new railcraft tank which should work much better as a energy buffer than the steam.

This should increase the energy density a lot on the steam while increasing the total amount quite a bit with the methane. 3-4 LV steam turbines and enough lava boilers to run that should take me into HV era at which point i should be able to go for nuclear or the distillation tower which then will be easy since i already have a dedicated potato farm.

This solution should store energy something like 50-100 times more efficient than steam (depending on turbine tier and losses). So this would also solve the problems people are having with pipes being unable to move sufficient fluids to run their generators. For instance running a LV turbine would require something like 0,76 mb per tick of methane to run compared to 56,67 mb of steam (including machine losses)

no luck on finding a decent oilwell from buildcraft, by the looks of it they dont spawn in the XL biomes which makes it a challange to find. I found one small in a ocean biome but extremly far away from my base. Next server im going with the vanilla biomes :(

Last edited:

Jason McRay

Jul 29, 2019
no luck on finding a decent oilwell from buildcraft, by the looks of it they dont spawn in the XL biomes which makes it a challange to find. I found one small in a ocean biome but extremly far away from my base. Next server im going with the vanilla biomes :(
Dont look for oil spawns. Well.. i mean... you will not find a lot of good old Builcraft oil springs. But you can find plenty of PneumaticCraft spawned oil. This oil spawns underground, and you can find it easily with Seismic Sensor. Just run around, spam r-click on the ground, and eventually you will find an oil deposit.

Reactions: MigukNamja

Joel Falk

Jul 29, 2019
Thats what im been doing untill now but it gets tedious very fast since they are so small. I would much rather find 1 large deposite and set up an automated system to bring the oil to the base. Especially if you wanna use it up untill HV. Even with a good pneumaticraft system which is the best one i can make you only get about 0,68 buckets of fuel per bucket of oil which means a standard 100 bucket oil well gives you about 70 buckets of fuel which doesn't last very long when you are in MV and HV. But it looks like that is what im stuck with unless i get my methane system working

Last edited:

Joel Falk

Jul 29, 2019
Did some quick math on how much methane i should be able to produce with 1 bucket of lava in a high pressure lava boiler, 390000 eu worth of methane (8,67 buckets). Not bad considering how easy it is to find lava and set up a potato farm

On oil deposites ive been doing both. The largest deposites ive found is about 130 buckets

nonamefhh

Jul 29, 2019
last few days I've setup IC2 biogas and it is an unbelievable bad setup. Don't go for IC2 biogas. The materialcosts and the procutionspeed of 12*4=48 fermenter are just not worth the investment.
3 fermenters can provide enought biogas to power a forth fermenter. So the forth fermenter is only for energy production. That mean is have 12 fermenters only for energy production. That way you can provide enought biogas for 2 advanced gas turbines, which shouldn't be enought for at least one EBF.

I think I will stick with my 36 lava boilers which feed 8 basic steam turbines. I know 36 boiler are just an overkill. I will add more steam turbines. It seems lava is overpowered or the other one are just crap until you get a distillation tower or a nuclear reactor.
Last time I've setup IC2 biogas with Infitech2 that setup was really strong. I assume you nerfed it dead.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
I think I will stick with my 36 lava boilers which feed 8 basic steam turbines. I know 36 boiler are just an overkill. I will add more steam turbines. It seems lava is overpowered or the other one are just crap until you get a distillation tower or a nuclear reactor.
Last time I've setup IC2 biogas with Infitech2 that setup was really strong. I assume you nerfed it dead.
I don't remember the specifics, but there was a bug at one point that made the IC2 biogas setup really overpowered. That may be why you were getting good results.

Reactions: nonamefhh

Joel Falk

Jul 29, 2019
The ic2 fermenter route has always been bad afaik. The system is super slow so you need an extraordinary amount of fermenters to produce a tiny amount of biogas per time. Wait untill you have the distillation tower instead, then its pretty op

asb3pe

Jul 29, 2019
Even with a good pneumaticraft system which is the best one i can make you only get about 0,68 buckets of fuel per bucket of oil which means a standard 100 bucket oil well gives you about 70 buckets of fuel which doesn't last very long when you are in MV and HV. But it looks like that is what im stuck with unless i get my methane system working

Not sure I understand this part. I made some fuel (i.e. GT "gasoline") and it converted at 1-to-1 ratio using a GT Distillery. It just took a while to convert a drum over (a couple of hours at LV level). Perhaps it's a Pneumaticraft thing, but I suggest that perhaps you look into using GT to convert your oil into fuel. Or perhaps I'm wrong. Figured I'm mention it.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
You can convert oil to gasoline for "free" using PC, sortof. Its energy-free because you can run the PC distilleries on lava-heat alone (without consuming any lava)

But the distillation process itself only converts a percentage of the oil to fuel, the rest gets transformed into other stuff. I forget how much actual fuel you get. Around 70% maybe?

Joel Falk

Jul 29, 2019
It consumes lava by turning it into obsidian, however it does not consume burning netherrack which is what im running it on.

Using the full tower of 4stacked refineries you produce 4 different fluids. Diesel, kerosine, gasoline (or fuel) and LPG. One bucket of oil becoms 20% diesel, 30% kerosine, 30% gasoline and 20% LPG. You can then use the LPG to run a liquid compressor that powers 2 thermopneumatic processing plants that crack the diesel into kerosine with an 80% efficiency and then kerosine into gasoline this also with 80% efficiency for a total of (20%*80%+30%)*80%+30=66,8% conversion or 668 mb of gasoline per bucket of oil.
a bit messy picture: http://prntscr.com/8jlmgt

While it is true the GT distillery can make oil it also consumes a lot of energy to do so. to do some quick math it requires 16 eu/tick for 16 tics to produce or 256 eu to produce 8 mb of fuel from 8 mb of oil. However it would still consume a full package of energy and its to much to run on ULV which means you would need 1 dedicated diesel generator to run it. And since the turbine actually uses 34 eu worth of fuel every 1 tick rather than 32 due to machine losses that means to produce 8 mb of fuel from 8 mb of oil you need 34*16=544 eu. However we also have to divide this by the efficiency of the diesel generator so it actually is 604,4 eu worth of fuel. Now the energy content of 1 bucket of fuel is 128000 eu so 8 mb is worth 128000*0,008=1024 EU. This means that the net gain from producing fuel through the GT distillery is actually (1024-604,4)/1024=40,97% which is a lot lower than using the pneumaticraft system i mentioned above. Moreover that system also produces a lot of excess LPG which can be used for both power and plastics in pneumaticraft or EU if you do some conversion.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
It consumes lava by turning it into obsidian, however it does not consume burning netherrack which is what im running it on.
I had to google that. You're right, other ppl are reporting lava transforming to lava. It wasn't doing that when I tested last. That said, at the time I found the process to be only marginally better than the GT version (taking into account how much Gasoline you extract from the oil versus the energy GT spends to process it)

Moreover that system also produces a lot of excess LPG which can be used for both power and plastics in pneumaticraft or EU if you do some conversion.
Wait you can use LPG to produce power? Howso?

asb3pe

Jul 29, 2019
I've been digging long horizontal shafts to discover ore veins, but it sure is a slow process with few discoveries. Is it still recommended that the best method is to dig a 2-wide vertical shaft to bedrock at 3-chunk intervals, in order to find ores?

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
I've been digging long horizontal shafts to discover ore veins, but it sure is a slow process with few discoveries. Is it still recommended that the best method is to dig a 2-wide vertical shaft to bedrock at 3-chunk intervals, in order to find ores?
Shrug that's what I do, although you want to start at the center of one vein to initialize your grid. The veins themselves tend to be arranged in a predictable grid arrangement themselves.

Also: use a faster digging tool :)