[1.7.10][LISTED] InfiTech 2 Modpack v3.2.21 [HQM][GregTech balanced hard-mode modpack]

bcg17

Jul 29, 2019
if anybody is looking for a small server pm me, a friend and I are hosting one. Also it seems i am unable to craft iron tank walls for Railcraft tanks but the valves and gauges are still craftable is this intentional?

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
if anybody is looking for a small server pm me, a friend and I are hosting one. Also it seems i am unable to craft iron tank walls for Railcraft tanks but the valves and gauges are still craftable is this intentional?
This is a weird one. I'm not sure if its 100% reproducible but there's two recipes for the walls: the old one (4 plates) and a new one (4 plates + hammer + wrench, shaped.).

Only the new one works.

Ieldra

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2014
You and me, we're best buds now :)

You know, until you gripe about something in an hour. But I'll enjoy this special moment while it lasts.
All right, here's the result of my first venture into the "oil" version of PneumaticCraft: Buildcraft oil works perfectly fine, and I'm running a nice little refinery powered by two vortex tubes, powered by one air compressor each. Heat is balanced by heat sinks attached to a block of compressed iron, one per vortex tube. Before I go on, however, I need to go mining. I burned a lot of iron for compressed iron, the drums ate up more, and the four speed upgrades I had to craft to make the air compressors generate enough pressure to run the refinery ate up 16 of my 18 pieces of lapis..

As for the griping, most of it is just me venting. Within MC, I'm a rather obsessive planner, and when changes I was unaware of destroy my plans, I don't like it. Prospecting is actually the only thing of which, in a more reflective mindset, I'd say I don't like it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pyure

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
All right, here's the result of my first venture into the "oil" version of PneumaticCraft: Buildcraft oil works perfectly fine, and I'm running a nice little refinery powered by two vortex tubes, powered by one air compressor each. Heat is balanced by heat sinks attacked to a block of compressed iron, one per vortex tube.
Can you clarify the bit where you say the refineries are powered by vortex tubes? iirc vortex tubes are a heat management block.

Ieldra

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2014
Can you clarify the bit where you say the refineries are powered by vortex tubes? iirc vortex tubes are a heat management block.
The refinery needs to be powered by heat, so you need to use blocks that can generate heat. Certain blocks have been made static with regard to PC heat, so you can't use fire, lava etc.. I take that's because it's impossible to make those blocks lose heat and eventually cool down, so to avoid infinite power exploits those blocks were made static.

So, I attached two vortex tubes to the refinery with the red side and connected them to pressurized air, which resulted in their refinery side heating up and powering the refinery. I attached a block of compressed iron to the blue side to pull more heat in from outside to balance the cold there and attached two heat sinks to those blocks to speed up the process. Works perfectly.

BTW, personally I think making fire and lava unusable is highly unintuitive and adversely affects world plausibility, even though from a gameplay perspective it might be necessary for balance (perhaps you recall how you can power a RotaryCraft blast furnace with lava forever - no idea if that was changed in later versions, but apparently PC does not want such things). I don't actually know if they're completely useless since I never tried after reading the IGW entry about heat, but if they're usable at all, they're likely very inefficient.

bcg17

Jul 29, 2019
This is a weird one. I'm not sure if its 100% reproducible but there's two recipes for the walls: the old one (4 plates) and a new one (4 plates + hammer + wrench, shaped.).

Only the new one works.

The hammer and wrench recipe didnt show up in nei IIRC when I get back on i will double check. Also I just had a crash while breaking an biblocraft shelf with a GT iron axe, before it froze I heard the tool breaking noise.
Log: http://paste.ee/p/U256E

EDIT: I just tested it and it wasn't the axe breaking the shelf that caused the crash. It was the crow bar that moved to take its place, do not hit shelves with crow bars it will crash your game.

Last edited:

Ieldra

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2014
I just checked. In my game, the hammer + wrench + 4 iron plates = 8 iron tank walls recipe shows up.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
The refinery needs to be powered by heat, so you need to use blocks that can generate heat. Certain blocks have been made static with regard to PC heat, so you can't use fire, lava etc.. I take that's because it's impossible to make those blocks lose heat and eventually cool down, so to avoid infinite power exploits those blocks were made static.

So, I attached two vortex tubes to the refinery with the red side and connected them to pressurized air, which resulted in their refinery side heating up and powering the refinery. I attached a block of compressed iron to the blue side to pull more heat in from outside to balance the cold there and attached two heat sinks to those blocks to speed up the process. Works perfectly.

BTW, personally I think making fire and lava unusable is highly unintuitive and adversely affects world plausibility, even though from a gameplay perspective it might be necessary for balance (perhaps you recall how you can power a RotaryCraft blast furnace with lava forever - no idea if that was changed in later versions, but apparently PC does not want such things). I don't actually know if they're completely useless since I never tried after reading the IGW entry about heat, but if they're usable at all, they're likely very inefficient.
Oooh, I thought you were talking about a BC refinery. Neato.

Ieldra

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2014
Oooh, I thought you were talking about a BC refinery. Neato.
The BC refinery appears to be disabled. BTW, about Buildcraft: isn't it possible any more to power a BC pump with four redstone engines anymore? And don't redstone engines speed up anymore? My usual oil pumping setup didn't work and I had to bring in another power generator.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
The BC refinery appears to be disabled. BTW, about Buildcraft: isn't it possible any more to power a BC pump with four redstone engines anymore? And don't redstone engines speed up anymore? My usual oil pumping setup didn't work and I had to bring in another power generator.
Shrug I thought that still worked, I did it several versions ago.

(fwiw, now I use thirsty tanks)

Reactions: Tsuko

Timeslice

Jul 29, 2019
Well. that's a motivation to get on it if I ever heard one :)

Also, as a piece of feedback: Jason's and your recommendation to "build more" was spot on. I made a second ore processing line and added a second centrifuge to each line, and now ore processing speed is quadrupled. I never realized how much of a bottleneck the centrifuges are. I also relocated the system as to avoid a 20-block power line, and now I can run both at the same time. Haven't tried to run the blast furnace alongside the ore processing yet, but the system is considerably improved.

The solution that I found that worked the best for me in the LV age was to have a turbine power a GT batbox, and have that power 5 or 6 machines, and have several groups like that. Since transporting steam is lossless I decided I'd rather waste the materials once, than the power constantly.

Timeslice

Jul 29, 2019

I like the way that RedPower handled this with the thermopiles. Ice on one side and lava on the other gave you the best power output, but you ran the risk of melting the ice and/or turning the lava into obsidian. PC could just eventually turn the lava into obsidian, and just make fire not that great.

Timeslice

Jul 29, 2019
Without minechem and ihl, I believe your only option to start getting osmium is exactly what you mentioned.

Of course, once you have around 10 osmium (I forget the exact amount) you can start replicating more of it.

I'm going to miss that part of IHL. It was alot of fun trying to automate the complicated process of extracting osmium from chalcopyrite. I never was completely successful, but I was pretty happy with the result. And it only took me about 20-30 hours of work to get the two osmium I ended up aquiring :) It's just painful that scanning an item for UU-matter replication destroys that item.

Reactions: Pyure

Jason McRay

Jul 29, 2019
As for v3.1.0 of the pack, no BC Pump is not possible to power by any number of redstone engines. They require normal energy, not redstone energy.

Ieldra

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2014
I'm going to miss that part of IHL. It was alot of fun trying to automate the complicated process of extracting osmium from chalcopyrite. I never was completely successful, but I was pretty happy with the result. And it only took me about 20-30 hours of work to get the two osmium I ended up aquiring :) It's just painful that scanning an item for UU-matter replication destroys that item.
You can extract osmium from chalcopyrite? I just browsed the recipes in NEI and found no such thing..... I couldn't even find a way to process the byproducts again to get it. What did I miss?

Blood Asp

Jul 29, 2019
You can extract osmium from chalcopyrite? I just browsed the recipes in NEI and found no such thing..... I couldn't even find a way to process the byproducts again to get it. What did I miss?
That's a IHL recipes and IHL was removed in v3