[1.7.10][LISTED] InfiTech 2 Modpack v3.2.21 [HQM][GregTech balanced hard-mode modpack]

bcg17

Jul 29, 2019
Jason,

For whatever reason, simple solar boilers are running 24/7 on our server. Most people are saying it is a bug/op and that they should be running only 20% of the day like the wikis suggest (1.2l/t average).

Currently they are equivalent to simple coal boilers that require no fuel (6l/t).

I actually think running all day while not realistic helps to balance the fact that people usually sleep in single player or on smaller servers to keep the solars running but yeah, figured I better report it.

You said both 24/7 and all day I'm kinda confused whether you mean during the day or during the day and night.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
You said both 24/7 and all day I'm kinda confused whether you mean during the day or during the day and night.
A "day" is 24 hours long. He means all day and all night.

Back to his point, the boilers are definitely different depending on whether they're on servers or not. They're extremely useful in the early game for single player and almost useless on servers unless you have that mod whose name escapes me and which allows people to "vote" to sleep. And even in that case the vote% needs to be extremely low to make it work.

20% output all day (day + night) would definitely make sense as a configurable option if it were possible to achieve.

Ieldra

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2014
Rejected!
https://github.com/JasonMcRay/InfiTech-Reloaded/issues/7
As you can see I agree with you though. Recipes involving the mass production of cake are enough to destroy one's will to live.
Fortunately you can do all of the potion making with GT machines, which are nicer to automate than brewing stands.

Glass dust + bottle mold = bottle? Yep.

Btw, I finally unlocked my eldritch tab last night. It looks like I can't get any further in peaceful mode however, I'm pretty bummed about that. I need to get some primordial pearl, which requires me to kill some dweeb in some place called the outer lands.

So I've got to build a portal or something I guess at one of those altars? All I know is I need to farm the cult guys, so I soul-vialed a couple of them last night. I also ran into a eldritch guardian thing who almost wrecked me. Sadly I accidentally killed him before I remembered to soul vial his ass.
What do you want to build that requires that pearl? Wasn't it the advanced essentia storage? I don't see such a pearl in that recipe.

Regarding autocrafting cake, that will have to wait until I get to AE. And enable Extra Cells. After that it is - forgive me - a cakewalk.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
What do you want to build that requires that pearl? Wasn't it the advanced essentia storage? I don't see such a pearl in that recipe.

Regarding autocrafting cake, that will have to wait until I get to AE. And enable Extra Cells. After that it is - forgive me - a cakewalk.
For cake I ended up being really janky and doing forestry workbench things. Still a total-shit solution of course, but easier than the alternative at that stage.

For the pearl: I got bored of the storage thing. I may still use it, but first I wanna see what the advanced alchemical furnace can do, that thing looks absolutely amazing.

Ieldra

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2014
For cake I ended up being really janky and doing forestry workbench things. Still a total-shit solution of course, but easier than the alternative at that stage.

For the pearl: I got bored of the storage thing. I may still use it, but first I wanna see what the advanced alchemical furnace can do, that thing looks absolutely amazing.
I've not unlocked that yet. It appears I'm missing something in the empty space below Eldritch Revelation. How did you get that?

Xavion

Jul 29, 2019
The BC Filler still excavates I believe.

Also we still have the EIO quarry do we not? Granted it goes all the way the way to bedrock.
The filler unfortunately destroys everything when set to clearing it so as to prevent it being a quarry alternative, not what I'd like as I actually want the basalt. The issue with the XU quarry is that it does one column at a time so I'm going to leave a volcano of dirt if I don't want a giant hole along with having to quarry the actual ground, I just want the basalt and not all the stone and junk from below the ground.

The main thing it adds is the advanced alchemical furnace, a fancy multiblock one that's faster, bigger and runs off vis, also adds a super 3x3 shovel/pickaxe that repairs itself automatically like void tools. You can even peg them at nodes to improve them if you've got enough to spare, kinda the worst use as they're not very easy to get.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
The filler unfortunately destroys everything when set to clearing it so as to prevent it being a quarry alternative, not what I'd like as I actually want the basalt. The issue with the XU quarry is that it does one column at a time so I'm going to leave a volcano of dirt if I don't want a giant hole along with having to quarry the actual ground, I just want the basalt and not all the stone and junk from below the ground.

The main thing it adds is the advanced alchemical furnace, a fancy multiblock one that's faster, bigger and runs off vis, also adds a super 3x3 shovel/pickaxe that repairs itself automatically like void tools. You can even peg them at nodes to improve them if you've got enough to spare, kinda the worst use as they're not very easy to get.
Ah I didn't realize you actually wanted some of the quarried material.

The advanced miner from IC2 may do what you want. Its even got white/blacklist control, but I don't care for how slowly it runs.

Your knowledge is about equal to mine in this. In my RR world I never got around to it, but I want to get there, too.
Then I'll definitely let you know what I find out.

Ieldra

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2014
Hmm..how do you make an IC2 coolant cell? NEI shows you fill a cell with ic2 coolant in a fluid canner, and if I ask for the recipe of that liquid it says you extract it from a coolant cell....and nothing else. It's needed for some items from Graviation Suite. I may actually have the resources to make it, though probably not to power it.

Xavion

Jul 29, 2019
Hmm..how do you make an IC2 coolant cell? NEI shows you fill a cell with ic2 coolant in a fluid canner, and if I ask for the recipe of that liquid it says you extract it from a coolant cell....and nothing else. It's needed for some items from Graviation Suite. I may actually have the resources to make it, though probably not to power it.
IC2 Canning machine set to enrich mode, the recipe is 8 lapis dust + water or 1 lapis dust + distilled water.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
This is one of the very few gotchas in the pack. ( I may have found a solution to the gotcha today btw, need to test tonight)

You need to make coolant in a fluid/solid canner, the recipe is water + lapis = coolant iirc. If you use distilled water you save a ton of lapis.

Apparently there's a config item in ic2.cfg called something like hidden recipes. I wanna see if this fixes the coolant nei recipe.

Hidden recipes are, excuse me, incredibly fucking stupid game design. Ever since we had access to the Internet this sort of crap makes zero sense to a gamer. We'll see if that's the case.

Edit: ninja'd by xavion due to ranting.

Ieldra

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2014
This is one of the very few gotchas in the pack. ( I may have found a solution to the gotcha today btw, need to test tonight)

You need to make coolant in a fluid/solid canner, the recipe is water + lapis = coolant iirc. If you use distilled water you save a ton of lapis.

Apparently there's a config item in ic2.cfg called something like hidden recipes. I wanna see if this fixes the coolant nei recipe.

Hidden recipes are, excuse me, incredibly fucking stupid game design. Ever since we had access to the Internet this sort of crap makes zero sense to a gamer. We'll see if that's the case.

Edit: ninja'd by xavion due to ranting.
There is an entry named "hideSecretRecipes", but it's set to false. So that's probably not the problem. Also, yeah, I completely agree about hidden recipes.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
(2) You get four distillation fractions, and can process heavier into lighter fractions with the thermopneumatic processing plant. The lightest is named LPG and is used to make liquid plastic in the same machine. The second-lightest is named "gasoline" and can be used in a GT diesel generator to generate power. The heaviest ist named "Diesel", but actually can't be used in a Diesel Generator. This is confusing. Since the heavier fractions can be processed into lighter ones, you can get any combination of gasoline and LPG out of your oil, only at least 1/8 is LPG (the fractions aren't distributed equally, you get more from the middle ones). I suspect that PC oil and the BC oil I am using are identical in that regard.
Tested tonight.

I came ****this**** close to flagging this thing for major nerf-town lemme tell you.

In addition to Ieldra's fun stuff, you can also toss the various fuels straight back in for further distillation, rather than tossing them into the thermopneumatic plant. I *think* its sometimes more effective to do it in the thermo plant however if all you want is gasoline.

Refinery stats!

Pros:
  • You can do your fuel distillation for free now. Yay! Vortex tubes, compressed air, etc aren't required. Give it a pillar of lava and you're good to go. I'd also be tempted to try leveraging the heat coming off my RF-conversion factory which generates an awful lot itself.
  • Monstrously cheap resource wise.
  • They look awesome. Maybe not Blood's distillation-tower-awesome, but pretty cool.

Cons:
  • Not all oil transformed into fuel (compared to 100% from a distillery).
  • Way, way more space required

You can eke out a lot of gasoline from the oil. You get 30% from an initial cycle of oil, but I ended up with around 65% just by re-cycling the heavy outputs back through the refinery. Fair warning: because the oils are always consumed in 10mb increments, you're often gonna have a bit left over of the "last" kind (4mb etc), so you'd preferably want to do this with separate refineries .

I believe you could get more if you wanted to cycle them through the thermo plant. Warning, that plant is lossy, and you'll lose a bit each time, but you should be able to get considerably more gasoline. I'll use 70% in my math.

upload_2015-6-17_21-16-9.png

2015-06-17_19.34.44.png

erindalc

Popular Member
Mar 3, 2015
Steam
OK, I walked away from Minecraft for a little while, but I am definitely getting back into *it the second I get access to my computer...

Oh, shoot, I bought all those games during the summer sale too...

Oh, well.

Ieldra

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2014
@Pyure :
Observations:
(1) I don't see a balance problem here. If you use the refinery to get gasoline, at some point you'll have to throw away the LPG fraction since you don't need infinite plastic, and that means you're paying with a 30-35% efficiency hit and a great deal of space for having self-contained power logistics. If all you want is gasoline, and you have fuel or power lines near where you want to build it anyway, you're way better off using GT's distillery.
(2) I didn't get to the required temperature using one lava pillar. I had to use two. How long did your setup take to reach the minimum processing temperature?
(3) The thermo plant requires pressure as well as heat, so if you want to stay self-contained you will use the multiple refinery variant.

One question:
(1) I don't quite understand your second table. So...the fuel value of the refined fuel is 375000 EU/B (converted from from 1.5 million RF/B) if used in an EnderIO combustion generator (btw - if so......that's about 5 times as much as you'd get in a Diesel generator? Really?), but what do the right columns mean? If you put the same in a Diesel generator, the numbers from the first table would apply. Right?

Aiwendil

Jul 29, 2019
Any reason why there is no binnie mods? And can I add it, without breaking the balance/progression etc?

We had it on v2 for a bit, it was badly coded, increasing loading times to 10 minutes. So sadly, as much as I like binnies mods, we had to get rid of it.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
@Pyure :
Observations:
(1) I don't see a balance problem here. If you use the refinery to get gasoline, at some point you'll have to throw away the LPG fraction since you don't need infinite plastic, and that means you're paying with a 30-35% efficiency hit and a great deal of space for having self-contained power logistics. If all you want is gasoline, and you have fuel or power lines near where you want to build it anyway, you're way better off using GT's distillery.
(2) I didn't get to the required temperature using one lava pillar. I had to use two. How long did your setup take to reach the minimum processing temperature?
(3) The thermo plant requires pressure as well as heat, so if you want to stay self-contained you will use the multiple refinery variant.

One question:
(1) I don't quite understand your second table. So...the fuel value of the refined fuel is 375000 EU/B (converted from from 1.5 million RF/B) if used in an EnderIO combustion generator (btw - if so......that's about 5 times as much as you'd get in a Diesel generator? Really?), but what do the right columns mean? If you put the same in a Diesel generator, the numbers from the first table would apply. Right?

1) I already accounted for the 30% efficiency hit in my math. I think a minor adjustment is probably warranted, just to greg the recipes if nothing else. That block is currently steam-level tech, not good. I already have my recommendation in my head. it would be nice though if the refinery would "consume" passive heat sources and kill them (lava, fire, etc) #wishlist.

2) Required temp was around 125C. A single column took a few minutes to reach that temp, and then bounced around it while gasoline trickled in. Production seems to consume heat, so that explains the trickling. Two columns definitely helped, and production seemed to rest at 137C. I noticed "fresh" lava blocks heated better than "stale" ones, so you could probably be pretty clever and use a lava-spilling mechanism on a timer to keep it at optimum temperature.

3) Oh good point about the thermo plant. So if I really want more than 65% I need to start applying a production cost, since pressure costs energy (one way or the other). 70% is close enough for a general idea however.

Q1)
Gross Value = Total output from a generator
Net Value = Gross Value - Cost to Produce.

So, in a diesel generator, the two processes are more or less equivalent because one produces more fuel but costs an offsetting amount of energy to produce it.

Q2a) Yes, the combustion generator is way more efficient for Fuel, although not 5x as much (closer to 3.5x as much). Technically this means its more efficient to burn fuel in the combustion gen than to convert it to nitro diesel. Note that while Ethanol and Diesel burn at the same rate in a Diesel generator, that's not true in the combustion generator. Ethanol interestingly produces around 108000 (converted) in the combustion generator per bucket.

The combustion generator definitely needs to be nerfed. I don't mind if its much better than the diesel gen, especially since we have to convert the power. But 3.5x is a bit much :)

Ieldra

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2014
The combustion generator definitely needs to be nerfed. I don't mind if its much better than the diesel gen, especially since we have to convert the power. But 3.5x is a bit much :)
I rather think that the fuel value of BC fuel and its equivalents in a GT Diesel Generator needs to be adjusted upwards, drastically. Actually, a factor of 3.5 appears almost appropriate given the differences between oil, ethanol and refined fuel in all other mods that use them. Buildcraft, Thermal Expansion and EnderIO are all consistent in that refined fuel is about three times as efficient as Ethanol/MFR Biofuel in their respective engines, and that one fuel bucket generates approximately the equivalent of 1.5 million RF. It makes no sense that GT's combustion engine-equivalent is three times less efficient than the rest of modded Minecraft.