[1.7.10][LISTED] InfiTech 2 Modpack v3.2.21 [HQM][GregTech balanced hard-mode modpack]

• FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord
G

General Ike

Is there a multimeter type item that can check energy consumption rates/generation rates? The scanner doesn't do that as far as I'm aware. In a similar vein of question, is there a flowmeter type item to determine volumetric flow rate?

I

Ilirith

Is there a multimeter type item that can check energy consumption rates/generation rates? The scanner doesn't do that as far as I'm aware. In a similar vein of question, is there a flowmeter type item to determine volumetric flow rate?
I think there are Gregtech covers for that. Atleast the energy detector ( not sure if that's the name) Gregtech cover, kan with a screwdriver be set to output redstone depending on various things, I believe some of them include incoming and outgoing power (if placed on a battery buffer for example )

I think there is a fluid detector cover as well, but I haven't tried that one, so don't know how much it can measure.

Reactions: General Ike
V

voidacid2000

Does the End/Endermen play a large part in this modpack? Can I still progress without doing anything with Endermen? (Because I usually like to disable them)

Last edited:
G

General Ike

I'm starting to need far more power than I produce... im still running eb turkey off steam, at the moment with one measly large turbine with a small stainless steel rotor, giving me only 122 eu/t, I'm working on a vanadium steel normal rotor, but that will onky output 154 eu/t... i still find oil processing very daunting, hence I only make polyethylene with oil.

First off, this is basically just a shameless plug for oil... oil is good [disclaimer: I do not support excessive fossil fuel use on earth]

I did the math and oil is ~4x more powerful per bucket than lava when directly processed into nitro-diesel through a distillery. Utilizing a distillation tower makes oil yield more than 2x that of a distillery (8x a lava bucket) AND yields handy byproducts like leftover naphtha and methane. While utilizing a cracker and a second tower increases that yet further.

With a basic distillery, just react nitrogen, carbon, and water for glyceriltrinatrate, then distill oil into light fuel and react the fuel with the glyceril. You get nitrodiesel worth 512,000eu.
One of the nicest parts about it is that the single block generators are very efficient. 28 aluminium for 90% efficient 128eu/t or 28 stainless steel for 85% efficient 512eu/t (though this is as far as I've gotten, it seems like the turbo diesel generator should hold you until you get an EV multiblock generator).

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
First off, this is basically just a shameless plug for oil... oil is good [disclaimer: I do not support excessive fossil fuel use on earth]

I did the math and oil is ~4x more powerful per bucket than lava when directly processed into nitro-diesel through a distillery. Utilizing a distillation tower makes oil yield more than 2x that of a distillery (8x a lava bucket) AND yields handy byproducts like leftover naphtha and methane. While utilizing a cracker and a second tower increases that yet further.

With a basic distillery, just react nitrogen, carbon, and water for glyceriltrinatrate, then distill oil into light fuel and react the fuel with the glyceril. You get nitrodiesel worth 512,000eu.
One of the nicest parts about it is that the single block generators are very efficient. 28 aluminium for 90% efficient 128eu/t or 28 stainless steel for 85% efficient 512eu/t (though this is as far as I've gotten, it seems like the turbo diesel generator should hold you until you get an EV multiblock generator).
On top of all that, some of the "byproducts" you mentioned can also be burned for energy.

Oil is nuts. Global warming is a myth.

Reactions: General Ike

Xavion

Jul 29, 2019
Does the End/Endermen play a large part in this modpack? Can I still progress without doing anything with Endermen? (Because I usually like to disable them)
Not particularly important, you'll need it if you ever want to do Kami from Thaumcraft as that makes heavy use of Hardcore Ender Expansion items, but generally it's all optional content. There's definitely useful content in the End, but don't think it's required outside Kami.

You'll obviously need a source of ender pearls though, plenty of things require those.

Reactions: voidacid2000
G

General Ike

On top of all that, some of the "byproducts" you mentioned can also be burned for energy.

Oil is nuts. Global warming is a myth.

Correction, ALL of those byproducts can be burned for energy, some can even be processed again for even more byproducts; most of which, unsurprisingly, can be burned for more energy.

I haven't gone out and re-rigged my oil pump since I've repositioned by distillation facility, so I've been steadily using up my fuel tanks and it's gotten to the point where I'm like, "Huh, I need more energy, let's check out my tanks and see what flammable substances I have left... 400,000mB of naphtha? No way I'm making that much plastic this week *throws in a gas turbine for 100mil eu*

I

Ilirith

I'm glad whenever i have around 2 million EU worth of batteries charged up >.>

Which, quite obviously, makes HV machines very energy intensive considering my low EU storage / production.

I will look into the Oil distilling as you described earlier, thanks a ton =)

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Correction, ALL of those byproducts can be burned for energy, some can even be processed again for even more byproducts; most of which, unsurprisingly, can be burned for more energy.

I haven't gone out and re-rigged my oil pump since I've repositioned by distillation facility, so I've been steadily using up my fuel tanks and it's gotten to the point where I'm like, "Huh, I need more energy, let's check out my tanks and see what flammable substances I have left... 400,000mB of naphtha? No way I'm making that much plastic this week *throws in a gas turbine for 100mil eu*
One of the coolest things I ever made in my last base was a liquids management facility. I used various overflow tricks to ensure I always kept X amount of liquids, and anything over that would get used in some way. For instance, my methane and naphtha and such, I always kept 16 buckets or some such around. Once I went over that amount, it was burnt as a priority fuel. If the system completely backed up for some reason, the excess got voided so that other connected systems wouldn't also get backed up (never actually happened as such, but it was prepared to do it if necessary)

By priority fuel I just mean that I preferred to burn these overflow fuels over "real" fuels such as nitro diesel and such.

Reactions: Boshy
G

General Ike

I'm glad whenever i have around 2 million EU worth of batteries charged up >.>

Which, quite obviously, makes HV machines very energy intensive considering my low EU storage / production.

I will look into the Oil distilling as you described earlier, thanks a ton =)

We've all been there, earlier in this same world I was running my ebf for aluminium production off of 4 small lithium batteries, and a 5x5x5 iron railcraft tank filled by 4 solar boilers and 1 coal boiler purely from charcoal. I could process roughly 7 aluminium per cycle.

Glad I could be of assistance, I hope that helps!

T

Tiphon

I have a problem with XACT crafting table. If i hit '?' in NEI to import crafting recipe into table then sometimes (not always) this recipe doesnt fit crafting grid properly, it keeps previous recipe. To change recipe i gotta close XACT interface and open it again. I cant explain it in better way.
This makes me suffer hard cuz i use XACT crafting table with ME system, it's very handy for me

UPD: i made short vid with this issue:

Last edited:
I

Ilirith

Quick question regarding EBF.
Does it use more EU if i feed it with HV instead of MV?
It feels like it does, which is a bit counterproductive with my, at the moment, not sufficient power production

G

General Ike

Quick question regarding EBF.
Does it use more EU if i feed it with HV instead of MV?
It feels like it does, which is a bit counterproductive with my, at the moment, not sufficient power production

Simply put, if you are making an MV recipe in your ebf with an HV input , you will double your production speed and quadruple the energy cost. Yes, this is in fact counter productive if you are low on energy. There are some SUPER awesome details on the specifics below:

Using any input voltage greater than the recipe requires will always quadruple the cost and double the speed for each tier you overclock (aluminium with HV: 480eu/t and 42sec, stainless steel with EV: 2048eu/t and 20 sec). HOWEVER!! There is one MAJOR exception that is one of the best features of the ebf imo. If your ebf has a heat capacity that is 1800K+ higher (or 1600K, someone confirm?) than the recipe requires, you can overclock by 1 tier without ANY efficiency loss. ie: steel requires like 1900K? An ebf with 4500K and with an HV input takes 480eu/t and 20sec, which is 4x energy AND 4x speed. This allows you to rapidly and efficiently produce lower tier metals, thus rewarding your advancements. I can just pump out steel, aluminium, and stainless steel now.

ALSO, I believe that your energy cost drops by 5% for every 800K by which you exceed a recipe's required heat. I cannot confirm the effects of this efficiency combined with the aforementioned superior overclocking, though it is possible that they stack for super efficient speedy processing, and equally likely that they do not stack and you lose the "bonus" efficiency when overclocking.

Hopefully those weren't secret goodies others were supposed to find out without my help.

And I totally overshadowed Pyure... sorry :/

Reactions: Ilirith

Xavion

Jul 29, 2019
Using any input voltage greater than the recipe requires will always quadruple the cost and double the speed for each tier you overclock (aluminium with HV: 480eu/t and 42sec, stainless steel with EV: 2048eu/t and 20 sec). HOWEVER!! There is one MAJOR exception that is one of the best features of the ebf imo. If your ebf has a heat capacity that is 1800K+ higher (or 1600K, someone confirm?) than the recipe requires, you can overclock by 1 tier without ANY efficiency loss. ie: steel requires like 1900K? An ebf with 4500K and with an HV input takes 480eu/t and 20sec, which is 4x energy AND 4x speed. This allows you to rapidly and efficiently produce lower tier metals, thus rewarding your advancements. I can just pump out steel, aluminium, and stainless steel now.

ALSO, I believe that your energy cost drops by 5% for every 800K by which you exceed a recipe's required heat. I cannot confirm the effects of this efficiency combined with the aforementioned superior overclocking, though it is possible that they stack for super efficient speedy processing, and equally likely that they do not stack and you lose the "bonus" efficiency when overclocking.
I was unaware of this, but it has made me go look at the code. Looks like the magic number is actually 900, for every 900 above the requirement you have in heat it gets 5% faster (stacking exponentially, not linearly), and for every two of those, so 1800 above, it allows you to overclock one tier without the efficiency loss.

So something like steel is 1000 right? That means at the max of 9001 you would be 8 lots of 900 above, allowing you to overclock it from MV up to LuV without penalty, and actually it'd only cost 66% of the EU per ingot for doing so, regardless of if you kept it at MV or went up to LuV. Realistically the 9001 coils are super high, but something like the 3600 of Nichrome which is only HV accessibility would give a 10% EU reduction and allow overclocking one tier for any <=1800K recipe. More if they're less than 900K, but I'm not sure any are?

Reactions: Pyure and Ilirith
I

Ilirith

I was unaware of this, but it has made me go look at the code. Looks like the magic number is actually 900, for every 900 above the requirement you have in heat it gets 5% faster (stacking exponentially, not linearly), and for every two of those, so 1800 above, it allows you to overclock one tier without the efficiency loss.

So something like steel is 1000 right? That means at the max of 9001 you would be 8 lots of 900 above, allowing you to overclock it from MV up to LuV without penalty, and actually it'd only cost 66% of the EU per ingot for doing so, regardless of if you kept it at MV or went up to LuV. Realistically the 9001 coils are super high, but something like the 3600 of Nichrome which is only HV accessibility would give a 10% EU reduction and allow overclocking one tier for any <=1800K recipe. More if they're less than 900K, but I'm not sure any are?
very interesting, I roo wasn't aware that the EBF had such amazing capabilities.

speaking of steel actually, I still use regular blast furnaces to a make steel, it's slow but it's cheap and Ive been running 3 of them ever since I started making steel... would it be worth it to swap steel over to EBF?

G

General Ike

Sweet, that's pretty darn handy, thanks for checking that. Also, reinforced metal from steve's carts is 500K, the only recipe that can be overclocked twice with nichrome... if you REALLY wanted reinforced metal I guess :p

very interesting, I roo wasn't aware that the EBF had such amazing capabilities.

speaking of steel actually, I still use regular blast furnaces to a make steel, it's slow but it's cheap and Ive been running 3 of them ever since I started making steel... would it be worth it to swap steel over to EBF?

I too was unaware until I actually searched pollution in the detailed changelog and somehow found that gem. If you have oxygen, it it DEFINITELY worth it to swap to the ebf. It's something like 1/4 to 1/2 the cost of coal (with basic steam producers) and 25+ times faster. I'm lazy and not looking up all the numbers but a bronze blast furnace takes over a minute per steel while the ebf takes 5 seconds per.