[1.7.10][LISTED] InfiTech 2 Modpack v3.2.21 [HQM][GregTech balanced hard-mode modpack]

Sprigum

Jul 29, 2019
We recently just set up a Forestry Multi-farm for our Wood automation, and have the Logs being put into two Coke Ovens. The Charcoal is then used in High Pressure Coal Boilers, since they are the most efficient steam generators as far as I know, and the byproduct Creosote is used to run a Railcraft Liquid Fueled Low Pressure Boiler, which is at 3x3x4 boilers/tanks, which we run if we're running the EBF and that set up as been working out fairly well for Post-EBF Power Production.

Yeah I think that's my only option.

BrickVoid

Dec 2, 2012
I think I've asked this before but it's scrolled off more than a dozen pages back by now, can someone highlight how digging holes for ores works again? Also, please define the "center" of a chunk, since chunks are 16 tiles wide, the center of a chunk would be at 8.5 so do I dig in the top left, top right, bottom left, or bottom right of the four squares that are in the center of a chunk for optimal results?

Also, does it matter if I dig a 1x1 hole or should I dig a wider hole? I prefer a 1x2 hole as it means I always should have a block to stand on should I uncover a cave or ravine on digging a block away. Does it matter if I dig horizontally or vertically for 1x2 holes? How far out from the hole should I dig out to all sides, in blocks?

Cheers ...

BrickVoid

Ultimaheart4

Jul 29, 2019
We
I think I've asked this before but it's scrolled off more than a dozen pages back by now, can someone highlight how digging holes for ores works again? Also, please define the "center" of a chunk, since chunks are 16 tiles wide, the center of a chunk would be at 8.5 so do I dig in the top left, top right, bottom left, or bottom right of the four squares that are in the center of a chunk for optimal results?

Also, does it matter if I dig a 1x1 hole or should I dig a wider hole? I prefer a 1x2 hole as it means I always should have a block to stand on should I uncover a cave or ravine on digging a block away. Does it matter if I dig horizontally or vertically for 1x2 holes? How far out from the hole should I dig out to all sides, in blocks?

Cheers ...

BrickVoid

Well the exact center doesnt matter. And any way you want to go down works. The bigger the whole the more space you will have to see ore veins. In general it gives you the opurtunity to run into the vein easier since digging a straight line horizonatally you can miss it above or below you. But vertically the vein is really wide 50x50 maybe? Most veins are 9 blocks tall. increased odds.

Sprigum

Jul 29, 2019
We recently just set up a Forestry Multi-farm for our Wood automation, and have the Logs being put into two Coke Ovens. The Charcoal is then used in High Pressure Coal Boilers, since they are the most efficient steam generators as far as I know. The byproduct Creosote is used to run a Railcraft Liquid Fueled Low Pressure Boiler, which is at 3x3x4 boilers/tanks, we run if we're running the EBF and that set up as been working out fairly well for Post-EBF Power Production.

Hey, quick question for you. I am working on the Multifarm, but I can't get the Thermionic Fabricator to melt glass - I even attached an EnderIO Capacitor to the back of it and set it to Output - doesn't seem to work... I can make the electron tubes in the assembler, but it requires MV.

I'm under the impression that I need Copper and Tin electron tubes to build the Tree farm I'll need for charcoal.

lafflam

Jul 29, 2019

Cheers ...

BrickVoid
1. You do not have to dig into the "center" of the chunk. You can dig at 0,0 of the chunk. I prefer 8,8 for no particular reason. You can pick any block in the chunk as your dig-down point as long as you are consistent for each chunk you dig down. However...
2. You don't really need to be all that consistent. Remember, the veins are huge... several chunks square, in fact. Plus you are at the mercy of RNG, so there really is no "optimal results" based on the exact dig-down point in each chunk. When it comes to the consistency mentioned in #1 above, you will be just as successful as long as you are "approximately consistent", so don't sweat the detail here unless you really want to for fun.
3. How you dig down is completely a matter of preference too. The goal is to dig safely so you don't punch a hole into a ravine and fall into a pit of mobs, or a pit of lava, or whatever. I prefer digging a 1x1 while standing on the top rung of a ladder, and then placing ladders as I go so I have a way out. But my way is very slow. I just do it that way because I like it. Statistically speaking, it is probably better to stand in the middle of a 2x1 and dig down. Doing so will prevent you from falling to your death, and you are exposing more blocks around you while you go. Therefore, you have less of a chance of passing through a vein and missing it (which I have done in my 1x1 occasionally).
4. The holes should be dug vertically from the surface to bedrock. Note the ores you find and mark them on your Journeymap. Dig them approximately every 3 chunks in a nice square grid pattern. I call this method "core sampling". (Note that when you are starting out, you might need to dig every 1 or 2 chunks until you can establish a nice 3x3 pattern. I even mark the cores that result in no ores found... I just mark them as "nil" on my Jouneymap.)
5. Is there any value in doing the classic horizontal "branch mining"? Maybe. If you know that you are looking for diamonds, then it might make sense to dig down to the middle of the appropriate y-level and digging either a straight line or an ever-expanding grid looking for the ores that should be on that level. However I have personally not had good luck that way.

BrickVoid

Dec 2, 2012
1. You do not have to dig into the "center" of the chunk. You can dig at 0,0 of the chunk. I prefer 8,8 for no particular reason. You can pick any block in the chunk as your dig-down point as long as you are consistent for each chunk you dig down. However...
2. You don't really need to be all that consistent. Remember, the veins are huge... several chunks square, in fact. Plus you are at the mercy of RNG, so there really is no "optimal results" based on the exact dig-down point in each chunk. When it comes to the consistency mentioned in #1 above, you will be just as successful as long as you are "approximately consistent", so don't sweat the detail here unless you really want to for fun.
3. How you dig down is completely a matter of preference too. The goal is to dig safely so you don't punch a hole into a ravine and fall into a pit of mobs, or a pit of lava, or whatever. I prefer digging a 1x1 while standing on the top rung of a ladder, and then placing ladders as I go so I have a way out. But my way is very slow. I just do it that way because I like it. Statistically speaking, it is probably better to stand in the middle of a 2x1 and dig down. Doing so will prevent you from falling to your death, and you are exposing more blocks around you while you go. Therefore, you have less of a chance of passing through a vein and missing it (which I have done in my 1x1 occasionally).
4. The holes should be dug vertically from the surface to bedrock. Note the ores you find and mark them on your Journeymap. Dig them approximately every 3 chunks in a nice square grid pattern. I call this method "core sampling". (Note that when you are starting out, you might need to dig every 1 or 2 chunks until you can establish a nice 3x3 pattern. I even mark the cores that result in no ores found... I just mark them as "nil" on my Jouneymap.)
5. Is there any value in doing the classic horizontal "branch mining"? Maybe. If you know that you are looking for diamonds, then it might make sense to dig down to the middle of the appropriate y-level and digging either a straight line or an ever-expanding grid looking for the ores that should be on that level. However I have personally not had good luck that way.

"Dig them approximately every 3 chunks" ... Does that mean dig in the first chunk, skip the next two in the x or z direction and dig in the chunk after that? Or something else entirely?

Cheers ...

BrickVoid

gatsu

Jul 29, 2019
Hey, quick question for you. I am working on the Multifarm, but I can't get the Thermionic Fabricator to melt glass - I even attached an EnderIO Capacitor to the back of it and set it to Output - doesn't seem to work... I can make the electron tubes in the assembler, but it requires MV.

I'm under the impression that I need Copper and Tin electron tubes to build the Tree farm I'll need for charcoal.

I had to use a fluid extractor (mv) to convert glass to molten glass. I haven't seen any method to do this otherwise. So, tree farm seems to be gated to MV.

Sprigum

Jul 29, 2019
I had to use a fluid extractor (mv) to convert glass to molten glass. I haven't seen any method to do this otherwise. So, tree farm seems to be gated to MV.

Well I found a workaround earlier - you can use quartzite dust to produce liquid glass at 32V : )

Xavion

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah quartzite in an LV extractor is deliberate, and golems are another MV option. Just use cores are gated to HV so you'll need to use another method of planting the trees then golems, it is perfectly possible, just trickier.

Sprigum

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah quartzite in an LV extractor is deliberate, and golems are another MV option. Just use cores are gated to HV so you'll need to use another method of planting the trees then golems, it is perfectly possible, just trickier.

Use/Chop/Fishing/Alchemy all require "HV" components.

Personally I would have liked to have the option to choose between Golems or Forestry.

I did build a forestry tree farm and coke oven combo for now, and by the time I can make the switch to golems the tree farm will be a lot less relevant (and also probably a few weeks away).

cimyPt

Jul 29, 2019
Hi, does anybody know the features of the powderbarrel, how it works and how can you break it, if you place it...?

S

SinTh0r4s

The reason is that the nominal outputs considers steam and not gas which is actially 2x higher.

As an example: you should always start out from the nominal input and for a large rose gold turbine that is 42000 l/s. For large gas turbines (and also high pressure steam) the nominal output will be 42000/20= 2100 eu/tick. The next step is to calculate the flowrate required per tick
(2100+32-1)/32~= 66,6 mb/t which is rounded down (always) to 66 mb/t. (thanks to sprangles for this one)

This means you need 66mb/t of biogas for a nominal output of 66*32=2112 eu/t or an actual output of 2112*1.2=2534 eu/t.

TLDR: Double the amount of distilation towers you are using or switch to a 21000 l/s turbine like titanium, tungsten, red steel, manganeese, molybdenum, stainless steel or neodymium :). If i would choose i would go for either titanium or tungsten as they have pretty nice durability and are easy to come by. If you wanna pick some other material i would advice you to have a look in my google docs document

On making oxygen: Centrifuging air rather than electrolyzing water is both a lot quicker but also consumes about 25 times less power. Cheapest way to get hydrogen is by electrolyzing methane cells, however if you dont have enough to suit your needs with that you will need to electrolyze water. In the case that covers your oxygen needs thats fine but in any other case i would go for centrifuging compressed air.

If you have a very large need for hydrogen i actually think it would be well worth it to make methane farm to produce hydrogen as for instance 1 carrot is equal to 72*0.8= 57,6 mb of hydrogen

Thx for the answer, but if I had the turbin consumption it would never used close what I produce. Currently those two seconds are 1/6th of a cycle not a half. Also is there a way to manually disable durability in Configs? The small Gas turbines don't got stuff like that and I would prefer a huge Array of those if I cannot change the configuration. Its rediculus that a rose Gold Turbine is faster depleted that produced with only a single ebf -.-
And how u guys manage taking out, disassabmbling and putting back in automatically? I have no idea..

Sin

T

turtle0574

I literally just spent the entire day looking for tin and found nothing, can anyone give me some tips? I know it spawns layers 40-120. I tried branch mining and searching caves and exposed stone but I cant find it.

Elthy

Jul 29, 2019
The best tip i can give you: Have patience...
But did you check how tin ore looks like in creative? Its realy hard to see, so maybe you allready run past some.

Ultimaheart4

Jul 29, 2019
I literally just spent the entire day looking for tin and found nothing, can anyone give me some tips? I know it spawns layers 40-120. I tried branch mining and searching caves and exposed stone but I cant find it.

go to extreme hills biomes its easier to find regular tin ore in the hill areas. you want a clear open area.

the reason i say that high is because there is less ore in competition.

Ultimaheart4

Jul 29, 2019
"Dig them approximately every 3 chunks" ... Does that mean dig in the first chunk, skip the next two in the x or z direction and dig in the chunk after that? Or something else entirely?

Cheers ...

BrickVoid

yes i usually do every 2 because you can always miss a ore vein that is below one. so you also want to dig though the veins.

also i feel wrought iron is the best for this since its only iron with double durability and most places dont need a tier 3 pick to mine. now always bring a tier 3 pick due to that annoying granite. also chisel has a few new stones that if pulverized is useful for resources. such as silicon or something close to that such as silicon dioxide. so dont toss away stone resources all the time.

Ultimaheart4

Jul 29, 2019
The best tip i can give you: Have patience...
But did you check how tin ore looks like in creative? Its realy hard to see, so maybe you allready run past some.

also depending on the computers graphics card its even harder cause it wont show any textures. i have two people on my server that have this issue. they cant even see some redstone ores. i mean that as in they can see parts but when they are digging into the vein they will miss a bunch since it looks like regular stone. (they did not have texturepacks during the testing. so they both use a texture pack and it seems to have helped and they can now see all the ores)

Xavion

Jul 29, 2019
Use/Chop/Fishing/Alchemy all require "HV" components.

Personally I would have liked to have the option to choose between Golems or Forestry.

I did build a forestry tree farm and coke oven combo for now, and by the time I can make the switch to golems the tree farm will be a lot less relevant (and also probably a few weeks away).
Check the recipes, the hardest to get thing a HV motor/pump should is stainless steel. They're throughly an MV recipe, the use core does need HV machines, but none of the others should.

Forestry farms are definitely available before anything else though, only LV option except maybe stripes piles? Are those LV?

Jason McRay

Jul 29, 2019
Hi, does anybody know the features of the powderbarrel, how it works and how can you break it, if you place it...?
Powderbarrel works exatly the same as iTNT as far as I am aware. Breaking should be done i think with empty hand. Test in creative :)