[1.7.10][LISTED] InfiTech 2 Modpack v3.2.21 [HQM][GregTech balanced hard-mode modpack]

Vliro

Jul 29, 2019
You can also dig around at level 10 or so (check the ore book) for small diamond ore.
Also at that level you might even find a diamond vein

Now that LP is MV what do you do to maintain storage early game? Am losing my mind atm:(

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

S

Sven "flamestrider"

.....holy shit. I always thought those were AE meteors or something. Thought there were too many to be AE. You have changed my game!

That said, I found some diamonds from stealing from the cave spider tree chests and am on my way. I guess it's just weird that they want you to find diamonds in the world but the quest book hints that you need to use the compressor to make diamonds for the macerator.

On a side note, is there any way to make the dough creation process less clicky for pam's harvestcraft?
Those geodes are neat if you want to go the route of using Railcraft boilers... a pretty decent source of early steam.
The reason for the quest is to familiarize you with the process of making industrial diamonds, as they are required for some recipes higher up the tech tree, since anyone who has played Minecraft could tell you that you can get "normal" diamonds from mining ;)
Dough -> Bread is vastly improved with some simple tech machines in GT, like the mixer, macerator and fluid solidifier.

Quayludious

Jul 29, 2019
Also at that level you might even find a diamond vein

Now that LP is MV what do you do to maintain storage early game? Am losing my mind atm:(
I've been trying out storage drawers. Kind of like using better barrels but they just have a few more features for them.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Bonuses of Storage Drawers include being able to dump an entire inventory worth of stuff into a single block (the controller) for anything in your inventory that belongs in a drawer.

I believe that's MV or HV tech though.

Sadly the Compacting Drawer is a little bit useless in this pack since most tasks centered on packaging or compressing are delegated to the packager and compressor machines. But the Controller is still super win.

Also, the upgrades for compact drawers are considerably cheaper than jabba :)

Vliro

Jul 29, 2019
Bonuses of Storage Drawers include being able to dump an entire inventory worth of stuff into a single block (the controller) for anything in your inventory that belongs in a drawer.

I believe that's MV or HV tech though.

Sadly the Compacting Drawer is a little bit useless in this pack since most tasks centered on packaging or compressing are delegated to the packager and compressor machines. But the Controller is still super win.

Also, the upgrades for compact drawers are considerably cheaper than jabba :)
The only problem is I dislike dumping one or two items at a time and switching. I guess I just have to attach item conduits to lots of storage drawers.
It feels as if the blast furnace is meant to be rushed in the latest version, or at least my perspective. I do have moderate infrastructure for it, not enough for sustained running, but feels as if I must build it asap.

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Rogash
B

Bob Lawblah

You can use bricks instead of obsidian
I've tried bricks and an iron block which are listed in the gregtech ftp wiki, but for some reason they are disabled in this pack. It still feels weird having to suddenly find a way to mine obsidian to build a steam level machine. it's like everything is tin, copper, iron and coal and all of a sudden, 'oh hey, go get lucky with some small cobalt, small diamond ore or a random treasure chest.' it was a jarring experience from the rest of the smooth progression up to that point. Just felt like suddenly I was outside gregtech relying on a different mod.

Either way, I'm now in love with gregtech and can't really see how i can go back to a normal modded minecraft now. Thanks so much to you guys btw for all your help. Now I just need to start building a huge warehouse to house my growing machine collection.

Reactions: MrPopov

MigukNamja

Jul 29, 2019
Doesn't actually exist, that's the specialty product and just requires an exact match on the temperature/humidity. Seen the devs comment on that before, while there are biomes that match which can give the illusion of needing a specific biome you don't actually have a biome requirement.

Ah, thanks. I didn't know that.

SolManX

Jul 29, 2019
I've tried bricks and an iron block which are listed in the gregtech ftp wiki, but for some reason they are disabled in this pack. It still feels weird having to suddenly find a way to mine obsidian to build a steam level machine. it's like everything is tin, copper, iron and coal and all of a sudden, 'oh hey, go get lucky with some small cobalt, small diamond ore or a random treasure chest.' it was a jarring experience from the rest of the smooth progression up to that point. Just felt like suddenly I was outside gregtech relying on a different mod.

Either way, I'm now in love with gregtech and can't really see how i can go back to a normal modded minecraft now. Thanks so much to you guys btw for all your help. Now I just need to start building a huge warehouse to house my growing machine collection.

Be warned - it might soon turn to hate (but back to love again, of course) :)

One thing to note is, in this pack, there's ic2, then there's gregtech on top of that and then there's Jason and Co mixing it up - especially with Thaumcraft, so it's difficult to rely on recipes from wikis. I've been fooled by them a few times. To be honest, I have no idea whether it's GT or Infitech that removed the ic2 brick option though for the compressed chunk.

A couple of other tips from a newbie that I've picked up from this thread ...

1. Once you get to LV age, watch out for recipes that require a certain amount of EU/t. I've been caught out trying to use an LV machine when the recipe actually requires MV.
2. Check every item in a recipe. You know, you see some items and think, yeah I know how to make them and don't click through. Always click through and save yourself from anguish.
3. Be careful going back too far in this thread to search for answers - recipes sometimes get changed on update. A good example of this is the coke oven - which can't now be made until you have electricity.
4. If you need to make a certain item - motors say - make a set of them instead (if you have the resources, of course).

F

FutureCode

Gregtech requires you to go through one of these ways to get your first LV3 pick:
1. Find cobalt (nickel vein)
2. Mine enough small diamond ores
3. Compress a coal chunk
4. Trade with emeralds
5. Try your luck on treasure chests

Infitech disables Way 3 (still viable if you get to LV), and provides you with tons of other ways.

Dlur100

Jul 29, 2019

I'm 99% sure that Team TechRush on the official server is mass producing industrial diamonds from coal chunks on an automated level. I'm also 100% positive that the coal chunks that we are making use bricks in the recipe, although this might be processed in an assembler machine instead of a crafting grid.

Regardless, have a look at the GregTech pickaxe options for Level 3 pickaxes here: http://ftb.gamepedia.com/Pickaxe_(GregTech)#Level_3 There are a lot of them. Cobalt has been mentioned, but honestly just find some Thaumcraft shards. Just about any will do. In order to make a shard pickaxe you'll need to also make a Thaumium rod. To get Thaumium you need minimal Thaumcraft research in alchemy and you're making so little of it that a crucible works just fine here. Get some praecantio from nether wart (or mossy stone or ender pearls).

Xavion

Jul 29, 2019
I'm 99% sure that Team TechRush on the official server is mass producing industrial diamonds from coal chunks on an automated level. I'm also 100% positive that the coal chunks that we are making use bricks in the recipe, although this might be processed in an assembler machine instead of a crafting grid.
Correct, you need an assembler for brick/iron/steel with coal chunks.

Also greatwood tends to be a very good option for praecantatio in the early game, as the trees spawn in most forest biome variants and are fairly big and easy to spot.

B

Bob Lawblah

Infitech disables Way 3 (still viable if you get to LV), and provides you with tons of other ways.

Yea, I get that, but it was pretty obvious to me as a total newbie that the coal chunk wasn't originally disabled. Actually it's good because it forced me into using thaumcraft which I've never used before. I have stumbled around and figured out how to make thaumium ingots! lol, i wasted so many of those shard things before i realized I had to break down the shards to smaller shards.

gatsu

Jul 29, 2019
I decided to give the latest version of the modpack a go, but I'm finding that it crashes on startup (created a new single player world, and tried to play it). Anyone have any clues as to why?

Attachments

• crash-2016-04-26_22.10.38-server.txt
    26 KB · Views: 75

gatsu

Jul 29, 2019
I decided to give the latest version of the modpack a go, but I'm finding that it crashes on startup (created a new single player world, and tried to play it). Anyone have any clues as to why?

Nevermind--I closed FTB launcher, and then found I had a second copy of FTP launcher running. Closed them both, opened a single instance back up, and it loaded just fine.

BrickVoid

Dec 2, 2012
Nevermind--I closed FTB launcher, and then found I had a second copy of FTP launcher running. Closed them both, opened a single instance back up, and it loaded just fine.

FTP Launcher? That's an odd typo to make! :D Glad you sorted it out, good luck, a lot of the recipes in this modpack are heavily modified, some are disabled. This is intentional, and is not a bug.

Cheers ...

BrickVoid

Last edited:

buncheesy

Jul 29, 2019
ok so I built 2 solar powered boilers, hooked them up to a railcraft wooden tank then connected them to a bronze macerater using small bronze pipes. It didn't work trying to macerate iron so I messed around for ages with connection points and it worked once only when the bronze pipe connected at the top (why?). I repositioned the macerator (connecting via the top) because reasons , slept the night then waited.....and waited...nothing. Can someone give me very basic tips. the vents on the boilers and the macerator face air blocks. the boilers are full of steam, the pipes are hot. Are 2 solar boilers too few? are the pipes too small? are the just really really slow? etc?

edit: just shortened pipe length and still no maceration!?

Last edited:

SolManX

Jul 29, 2019
Try disabling the macerator with a soft hammer, and then letting the boilers build up steam in their buffers. Once they're - idk - halfway full you could re-enable the macerator.

The reason is that if GT machines run out of steam before a process is completed it moans, and you lose all progress. They then try again and you're in a loop.

Reactions: buncheesy

Joel Falk

Jul 29, 2019
If you are supplying GT machines with insufficient power/steam they will still try and perform the recepie but will stop on the way and resett the timer and give of a sound as well as show an error message in the interface. Bronze age machins need two things to work, a steam input and a steam vent. The front side (facing you when you place the block down) cannot work as an input/output face. By default the vent gets placed 180 degrees to the front side which would leave you the top, bottom and side faces to input steam. The vent side can be changed to any side by rightclicking the middle of the desired side with a GT wrench.

My guess is that you are correctly connecting the steam pipes to the machine, the problem is that you have probably blocked the steam vents with one of the pipes. The steam vent side has a visual dark square in the middle of the output face so check if you have in any way blocked this. Once this side has an air block the machine should function.

More info
http://ftb.gamepedia.com/Steam_Machines_(GregTech)

Also the solar boilers are very slow starting up and will stop producing steam during the night so they will not give a stable production and therefore it is usefull to have a buffer for the steam so you can ensure a steady supply of steam even during the time the boilers are warming up or during the night. They will also loose efficiency over time so you will need to manually pick them up and place them down to resett the efficiency every couple of hours.

Those boilers when fully heated will produce 6 l/t and if i remember correctly the steam macerator recepie consumes 4l/t (edited) so you should be able to run your macerator with your current setup. To see the consumtion of the recepie just check NEI and multiply the EU consumtion by 2 to get the steam consumtion. Steam machines can at most run 16 eu/t recepies and then consumes 32 steam/t

Last edited:

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
ok so I built 2 solar powered boilers, hooked them up to a railcraft wooden tank then connected them to a bronze macerater using small bronze pipes. It didn't work trying to macerate iron so I messed around for ages with connection points and it worked once only when the bronze pipe connected at the top (why?). I repositioned the macerator (connecting via the top) because reasons , slept the night then waited.....and waited...nothing. Can someone give me very basic tips. the vents on the boilers and the macerator face air blocks. the boilers are full of steam, the pipes are hot. Are 2 solar boilers too few? are the pipes too small? are the just really really slow? etc?

Just fwiw: the solar boilers generate 6mb/t steam when they're operating at peak efficiency, and the macerator consumes 4 mb/t.

Two things can govern the efficiency of the boilers: 1) their heat, 2) how long they've been active (they begin to lose efficiency over time)

Make sure you point the solar boiler into the pipe. That's not a vent; you're venting steam. If memory serves, if you have a pipe on the back of your boiler, you want to stand in front of it and wrench the corner to reverse it and point it into the pipe.

BrickVoid

Dec 2, 2012

It took me a while to figure this out myself, but there's your problem, I've highlighted it in your post as bold text. Pyure is absolutely right when he says the boilers use the vent to supply steam to other machines. :D

Theoretically, it should be able to supply steam from any direction to adjacent machines or pipes but I found it to be 100% more efficient if the vent actually faced a machine or pipe when it came to the boilers themselves! Hope that helps!

The machines themselves need a vent facing an air block, unless it's the boilers. For instance, a Steam Macerator will need to vent it's steam after an operation and it cannot succeed if the vent on the SM is facing any adjacent solid block.

Also, Steam is a bit slow and inefficient if you're using the low-pressure boilers. You may need to wait between operations for the boilers to supply sufficient steam to perform the operation. Either use a Railcraft boiler or use High-Pressure Steam Boilers for more output.

Cheers ...

BrickVoid

Last edited: