[1.7.10][LISTED] InfiTech 2 Modpack v3.2.21 [HQM][GregTech balanced hard-mode modpack]

• FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord
R

Rogash

Started up a new world and really getting into the GT mindset again. Really enjoying the HQM side of things, though. So far it's helped me not go off too far from the beaten path. Thanks again to Jason of course, but also thanks to everyone else who contributes.

I don't think I understand the Bronze Age repeatable hand-in requests though. Are they 'bragging rights' quests or do they become actually useful later on?

As far as I know you're right, Magnetite won't smelt directly into iron. But you can either find 'iron' magnetite veins or 'gold' magnetite veins where iron/gold is found inbetween. The iron is very hard to see from afar so it's always worth a closer look (although it is mining level 2, so flint/stone pickaxe won't work).
Magnetite can be mined with a hammer to get the crushed ore which should be able to smelt to a few iron nuggets

S

Sixpaq

time for another question, why would I use a thermal centrifuge? isn't it the same output than directly macerate the washed ore and putting it in a normal centrifuge? is it faster?
I have the same question. Also, you don't need to macerate the washed ore, just run it through a hammer (faster than macerator), then centrifuge.

The question stand though . . . What benefit comes from thermal centrifuge over the quoted process?

Thanks!

Vliro

Jul 29, 2019
I have the same question. Also, you don't need to macerate the washed ore, just run it through a hammer (faster than macerator), then centrifuge.

The question stand though . . . What benefit comes from thermal centrifuge over the quoted process?

Thanks!

You don't get the extra output then(HV macerator), hammer only gives you purified dust w/o any extra output.

I think the benefit is time afaik, it does grant the same output only a bit less, and does it a lot faster.

Reactions: Sixpaq

Joel Falk

Jul 29, 2019
Not sure at what point you are at, but putting the washers and thermal centrifuge inside a processing array is really useful, since it is very efficient in terms of power and space. I currently have 16 washers + 32 centrifuges and it burns through 2x ender quarry produce at a ridiculous rate.

Its well within my limits and sounds like an awesome goal to aim for. Maybe 3 x processing arrays for thermal centrifuges, ore wasters and centrifuges. Now sure how i wanna do with macerators. I want to use at least HV macerators to get byproducts but i don't think i can downgrade their voltage so that it consumes a bit less power. I was thinking of using MV machines for the processing arrays but if i put 16x HV macerators in a processing array its gonna consume 1 amps of IV. Seems a bit much. Any suggestions?

Or does everyone just use processing arrays of LV machines and do the macerators outside of processing arrays?

S

Sixpaq

You don't get the extra output then(HV macerator), hammer only gives you purified dust w/o any extra output.

I think the benefit is time afaik, it does grant the same output only a bit less, and does it a lot faster.
Fair enough. I'm still in LV so don't have access to the better macerator yet. Thanks!

Vliro

Jul 29, 2019
Its well within my limits and sounds like an awesome goal to aim for. Maybe 3 x processing arrays for thermal centrifuges, ore wasters and centrifuges. Now sure how i wanna do with macerators. I want to use at least HV macerators to get byproducts but i don't think i can downgrade their voltage so that it consumes a bit less power. I was thinking of using MV machines for the processing arrays but if i put 16x HV macerators in a processing array its gonna consume 1 amps of IV. Seems a bit much. Any suggestions?

Or does everyone just use processing arrays of LV machines and do the macerators outside of processing arrays?

To keep up you neeed double thermals, since it takes 20 second sand washers 10 sec, at least for me. HV macerators don't really consume a lot of power since the base recipe is 2eu/t, I run all my hv macerators on MV power anyways.
Other than electrolyzers my entire processing setup is mostly LV, I do have the power for MV/HV but that will take lots of work :(

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
time for another question, why would I use a thermal centrifuge? isn't it the same output than directly macerate the washed ore and putting it in a normal centrifuge? is it faster?
Take a look at the process flow diagram near the bottom of http://ftb.gamepedia.com/GregTech_5/Mining_and_Processing

The point of the Thermal Centrifuge is to extract more byproducts after you've orewashed. It doesn't make sense for every ore, or for every application, but some rare-resource chains can really benefit.

Joel Falk

Jul 29, 2019
For instance to get osmium from iridium ore you need to do ore wash, thermal centrifuge and then macerator for a 10% chance at 1 osmium dust. So basically when you want the tertiary byproduct

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Yeah. I should also clarify that its not just for orewashed stuff. Sometimes you care about the thermal-cent byproduct but not the orewashed byproduct, and you can just skip the orewashed.

Xavion

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah by NEI it says you need to hammer twice than clean to get magnetite dust and that can then be smelted for three iron nuggets.

SolManX

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah by NEI it says you need to hammer twice than clean to get magnetite dust and that can then be smelted for three iron nuggets.

Strange, for me NEI says Ore -> Hammer -> Crushed -> Hammer -> Impure dust, which can only be centrifuged. Unless I'm missing something obvious :(

EDIT: Got it, you've got to wash the impure and then smelt. Phew!

EDIT 2: Sorry Xavion - I've just re-read your post and you actually say clean it as well. Doh.

Last edited:
F

FutureCode

For most ores you don't need it. But for some ores (iirc those with three ore byproducts in NEI such as redstone ore) thermal centrifuging is the only way to get the third byproduct.

nouille_07

Jul 29, 2019
oh ok, you get 3rd byproduct with a universal macerator after thermal centrifuge, still it's only usefull for like 4 ores, Monazite, Cooperite, Uranium, Uraninite. some other can befnefits but they are pretty common.. as the machine is energy intensive I don't think it's really worth it for other ores. right?

Vliro

Jul 29, 2019
How do you get the fusion reactor working ? I have 4 LuV energy hatches and power it using 1x 8192 line(deut+trit recipe), and it has lots of tritium and deuterium in input hatches.
K4GAx9B.jpg

It just depletes the energy. It has a dedicated battery buffer. I used to have 4x 4X ev batter buffers but that still didn't work :(

Joel Falk

Jul 29, 2019
Here is my new and improved renewable Heavy oil distillation setup that i run from a tree farm with 2 pyrolyze ovens

http://prntscr.com/auapep

I actually realised the LPG is also a pretty substantial energy source so i now run the entire methane to hydrogen line and nitro diesel line on LPG with loads of LPG to spare instead of methane. Seems they increased the fuel value on both naphtha and LPG got boosted to 256k EU per 1000 mb so the output increased even more. You could actually produce some serious power from LPG.

Here are some quick stats for the setup if it where run with electrolyzers on water. However since mine is run with hydrogen from methane it is actually a decent bit better.

http://prntscr.com/auaxki

Edit: did some fast calculations and its actually producing enough LPG to run a large gas turbine with a nominal output of just about 10000l. Pretty insane :D. If you ran the setup at full speed it could run a gas turbine of 41000l :p That would require 2 additional distillation towers, 1 extra cracking unit and 2 additional chemical reactors to keep up though :)

Last edited:
Reactions: buncheesy and Pyure

Xavion

Jul 29, 2019
Hmm, can you use LPG buckets in a large boiler or the like? Since PneumaticCraft gives LPG buckets a ludicrously high burntime, equal to about 56 coal blocks per bucket.