[1.7.10][LISTED] InfiTech 2 Modpack v3.2.21 [HQM][GregTech balanced hard-mode modpack]

• FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

Joel Falk

Jul 29, 2019
A 36HP railcraft turbine produces 14400L/s steam as I already said, by the maths a single bucket of PC LPG will run that for slightly over 18 minutes, in a large steam turbine with a T3 turbine that's enough for 468EU/t, as the bucket of PC LPG runs for about 1086 seconds at that rate it would produce about 10.1M EU per bucket of oil

That is a fair point, didn't consider HP boilers woudl be that efficient then run the steam in large turbines. Is there any reason you are not using a passive pneumaticraft system with burning netherrack? im guessing it will be a lot slower but you could just add more refineries.

However 18 mins per bucket of LPG sounds excessively high for the HP boiler as that should be many times higher the energy content of the fuel. Is that really working as intended that you get like 30 times more energy from running 1b of pneumaticraft LPG in boiler-for 10100 k eu while running GT LPG in a tier 3 gas turbine which is a higher tech tier would give you 256k*1.3=332.8k EU. Doesn't sound right to me.

Pneumaticraft LPG systems are extremly low tech as is railcraft boilers so it sounds a bit broken they can be used to produce those amounts of power. You could use that setup from LV to IV by going LV-MV turbines then large steam turbine and never need to change the system. Later you could also do the tree farm to heavy oil to BC oil conversion for an insane amount of energy. 1.25 stacks of wood is 1 bucket of bc oil which can be converted into 7,46 million eu by your calculations or 93250 EU per wood block minus refinement costs.

Last edited:

Xavion

Jul 29, 2019
That is a fair point, didn't consider HP boilers woudl be that efficient then run the steam in large turbines. Is there any reason you are not using a passive pneumaticraft system with burning netherrack? im guessing it will be a lot slower but you could just add more refineries.

However 18 mins per bucket of LPG sounds excessively high for the HP boiler as that should be many times higher the energy content of the fuel. Is that really working as intended that you get like 30 times more energy from running 1b of pneumaticraft LPG in boiler-for 10100 k eu while running GT LPG in a tier 3 gas turbine which is a higher tech tier would give you 256k*1.3=332.8k EU. Doesn't sound right to me.

Pneumaticraft LPG systems are extremly low tech as is railcraft boilers so it sounds a bit broken they can be used to produce those amounts of power. You could use that setup from LV to IV by going LV-MV turbines then large steam turbine and never need to change the system. Later you could also do the tree farm to heavy oil to BC oil conversion for an insane amount of energy. 1.25 stacks of wood is 1 bucket of bc oil which can be converted into 7,46 million eu by your calculations or 93250 EU per wood block minus refinement costs.
Pretty sure last time I tried fire couldn't get a refinery hot enough, definitely can't get a processing plant hot enough as that requires 300 degrees to crack it's fuels down. You *might* be able to turn GT diesel into PC gasoline too, that seemed to be visible in NEI.

For fuel value... One liter of LPG apparently has similar energy output to a chunk of coal about 20cm wide, I think to make it consistent with real life and coal we'd have to lower it by a factor of about 3, although that's a fools endeavour as the GT fuels aren't consistent with real life and even looking at the simplest example charcoal seems significantly different to coal anyway as those being equal is one of the most basic things there is.

As far as game balance? It's because PC decided to make its fluids be amazing furnace fuels, it's fine within that mod, it just means they last forever in a furnace. 1 L of LPG has about the same burntime as 0.56 pieces of coal. That means GT with its much lower and more complex fuel systems doesn't produce as much power due to the sheer duration of LPG.

But yeah, while it does require a little bit to get into PneumaticCraft + Railcraft does definitely provide a very solid way of producing steam from oil. Just have to scale sideways as you said.

SolManX

Jul 29, 2019
I will be adding an extra early quest about QDS so those of you not familiar with HQM will have better understanding about that function.

Going back to the magnetite->iron question, do you think it might be worth adding an extra quest in the 'Dirty endeavours' section about washing dirty ores in a cauldron?

Just a thought, because I've played the early stages of Infitech a few times, and apart from redstone, I always forget about washing ores, mainly because NEI just refers to the ore washer.

Joel Falk

Jul 29, 2019
Pretty sure last time I tried fire couldn't get a refinery hot enough, definitely can't get a processing plant hot enough as that requires 300 degrees to crack it's fuels down. You *might* be able to turn GT diesel into PC gasoline too, that seemed to be visible in NEI.

Ive done this on at least two occasions, in this case i drove the production to fuel instead of LPG even though i got a fair amount of LPG as well as you cant go the other way around and make LPG into fuel. The main point in making it work is to avoid all air blocks against the refinery/processing plants. I Can try and make it in creative in latest version and see if it still works and how fast it is but im fairly certain it would work as i did this last time in february this year.

The processing speed was also fairly quick, especially the processing plants where well above 1000 C. I used very small amounts of LPG to supply the pressure to the processing plants but thats it. Could you give a reference for how quick your setup was so i can compare it to the one ile make in creative later?

The passive pneumaticraft only requires some diamonds, some stacks of iron and some gold if i remember correctly. It should be early LV age at most but requires you have been to the nether for the netherrack. Most importantly it does not require you to go into pneumaticraft tech to get all the component. You only use basic non PC materials and compressed iron which you can get from throwing iron at creepers :D. Ile come back later for update when ive tested

Last edited:
E

Edizeray

Does anyone know the prerequisites to unlock the Osmotic enchanter. I have been unlocking for ages, but it still does not show up.

Xavion

Jul 29, 2019
Does anyone know the prerequisites to unlock the Osmotic enchanter. I have been unlocking for ages, but it still does not show up.
You need the spellbinding cloth thing from TT, infusion crafting, and adamantium creation researched. To get adamantium you'll need enderium which needs astral silver which needs knightmetal which needs steelleaf which needs the steel creation research.

E

Edizeray

You need the spellbinding cloth thing from TT, infusion crafting, and adamantium creation researched. To get adamantium you'll need enderium which needs astral silver which needs knightmetal which needs steelleaf which needs the steel creation research.

Thank you for the quick response, i am at the steel research now. So not far then.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
I raised a yellow flag about the Osmotic being adamantium until Xavion reminded me we still have early access to Infusion enchanting. It requires a metric ton of auram but its workable and it spaces the two technologies apart nicely.

Thank you for the quick response, i am at the steel research now. So not far then.
Call me crazy but I still think you're a long way away from adamantium.

Vliro

Jul 29, 2019
Seems to be a bug with brittle charcoal durability, if you harvest brittle charcoal with < 2500 durabiltiy (wrought iron axe) the axe ""breaks" and immediately returns,with lower durability each time.

Reactions: Pyure
S

Sixpaq

Ya I get that too. I think it's just a sound effect/animation bug. It effectively seems to work just fine. Only a little annoying with the repeated breaking sound

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vliro

Jul 29, 2019

Thought someone might have fallen victim to this near gamebreaking bug already.

Just started a new world since there has been so many changes, and most cheap automation has been made more expensive. What's a good way to automate, or automate to some extent, steam production early on? Last world was crippled early on since I failed to do any automation early on ;-;

Xavion

Jul 29, 2019
The main point in making it work is to avoid all air blocks against the refinery/processing plants.
Hadn't tried that, trying now it seems to work and easily generates higher temperatures than what I was getting so that'd work even better for sure.
adamantium is more of a puzzle than most :/
That was something I did for adamantium and naquadah, advanced naquadah creation is probably the trickiest. Adamantium has tons of ordo in it iirc, that reduces difficulty a bit. This is advanced naquadah creation.
Screen Shot 2016-04-21 at 2.22.31 am.png
Just started a new world since there has been so many changes, and most cheap automation has been made more expensive. What's a good way to automate, or automate to some extent, steam production early on? Last world was crippled early on since I failed to do any automation early on ;-;
Get an RC boiler, the bronze age non-lava boilers can't be automated, even solar can't be perfectly automated. Railcraft boilers will be the earliest option that's really possible to automate, automating the fuel could be an issue though, although with thaumcraft you can theoretically get an automated charcoal system in early LV, standard chop core/use core golem farm with coke ovens or alchemy or even something crazier like an automated charcoal pit.

Joel Falk

Jul 29, 2019
Hadn't tried that, trying now it seems to work and easily generates higher temperatures than what I was getting so that'd work even better for sure.

If you haven't done so already you should really consider it. Air blocks cool down pneumaticraft machines something crazy. You should reach much higher temperature with your current setup if you just remove the airblocks

Vliro

Jul 29, 2019

That was something I did for adamantium and naquadah, advanced naquadah creation is probably the trickiest. Adamantium has tons of ordo in it iirc, that reduces difficulty a bit. This is advanced naquadah creation.

Get an RC boiler, the bronze age non-lava boilers can't be automated, even solar can't be perfectly automated. Railcraft boilers will be the earliest option that's really possible to automate, automating the fuel could be an issue though, although with thaumcraft you can theoretically get an automated charcoal system in early LV, standard chop core/use core golem farm with coke ovens or alchemy or even something crazier like an automated charcoal pit.

Ahh yes the RC boiler, guess I gotta hunt for some geodes. Currently I'm at pre-steam, can you use hoppers for the bronze boilers?

Also, seriously how do people get inspiration to build? I have a house made of fir, cuboid, like how do you build aesthetically :/ Always when I play I just build underground so the painful outside isn't visible

Reactions: Pyure