[1.7.10][LISTED] InfiTech 2 Modpack v3.2.21 [HQM][GregTech balanced hard-mode modpack]

• FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord
S

Sven "flamestrider"

I dunno if it's just me, and the seed #, but version 3.2.x has yet to let me spot a nickel vein... anyone have tips on how to find one in either the nether or overworld? And I know that soapstone veins has pentlandite, but I need the base one, for cobaltite...

Mikhail Krutov

Jul 29, 2019
I dunno if it's just me, and the seed #, but version 3.2.x has yet to let me spot a nickel vein... anyone have tips on how to find one in either the nether or overworld? And I know that soapstone veins has pentlandite, but I need the base one, for cobaltite...
I have more luck on finding Cobalt/Nickel veins than on finding Limonite ones. :)

Joel Falk

Jul 29, 2019
Some nice new alloys in the game that are quite interesting. There are 3 different kinds of HSS alloys of which 2 are tier 4 and have superior quality over tungstensteel. There is also a budget version with lower durability in tungsten carbide which is much more expensive in terms of tungsten.

Here is the best one of them HSS-S
http://prntscr.com/al9hjp

This should be the new best turbine you can make. Shame it has an optimal nominal flow of 42000l/s instead of 40000 as the tungstensteel boilers :p Will probaby get around and do an overview of the interesting turbine materials tomorrow.

Also gonna try and make the gregtech HV mining drill with a HSS-S mining head and see how it performs.

After that its a large heat exchanger and turbines all the way :)

S

Sven "flamestrider"

- crop -
This should be the new best turbine you can make. Shame it has an optimal nominal flow of 42000l/s instead of 40000 as the tungstensteel boilers :p Will probaby get around and do an overview of the interesting turbine materials tomorrow. - crop -
Maybe it should be used with three 36LP railcraft boilers, those produce 43200L/s at a total fuel cost of ~0,6 "charcoal" per second...

Joel Falk

Jul 29, 2019
That is way more inefficient than using tungstensteel boilers thought. The HSS-S steel is a rather large veriety of materials. You can make an even blend of 27 ingot that consists of 5 steel, 5 tungsten, 4 molybdenum, 2 vanadium, 2 chrome, 6 iridium and 2 osmium (as you can see in the tooltip). The tungstencarbide is pure tungsten with some additional coal dust so it is actually a lot more expensive considering the HSS-S also has roughly 5 times the durability.
Regarding the flow
Basically none of the large turbines have 40000 l/s flow (except huge version of HSS-G) so this becomes an issue regardless. With a flow of 40k has an efficiency of about 95% (40000/42000) which comes out as a total efficiency of 133.3% which is still the best you can get with an awesome durability. Luckily i have an iridium vein but quite little tungsten so this is by far the best option i have to make turbine materials.

You could also use a support system to produce extra steam with high pressure lava boilers or a large heat exchanger. I will most likely just go for a LHE using lava thought cause then can get some of that much needed tungstate while im at it and then i can adjust the flow so it suits the turbine. Im to low on tungstensteel to go for the SHS route but that would be rather crazy for the future. 1050 mb lava/s throught 2 SHS turbine setups would net a power output of 8820 eu/tick :)
Now i have to settle for 1470 eu/tick for 262,5 mb lava/s with only 1 low pressure turbine which is still pretty awesome :)

Ile probably make a bedrockium drum to hold lava if im to lazy to set up a better lava pumping system. The endothermic pump should fill one up in not all that long :)

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
My world is a bit young but I haven't found cobalt yet either. SHame, I love that stuff.

Mikhail Krutov

Jul 29, 2019
How much energy would most basic Forestry Multifarm eat up?

Or, how do I compute the energy consumption of it?
I plan to do manual farm for carrots (for methane)

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
How much energy would most basic Forestry Multifarm eat up?

Or, how do I compute the energy consumption of it?
This may require you to do actual testing.

Also it may depend on which configs are in the current version. @Timeslice noticed that 3.x was missing the "sort of hard" settings we were using in 2.x, which has been since fixed, but i'm not sure if that fix is in 3.2.

Xavion

Jul 29, 2019
Some nice new alloys in the game that are quite interesting. There are 3 different kinds of HSS alloys of which 2 are tier 4 and have superior quality over tungstensteel. There is also a budget version with lower durability in tungsten carbide which is much more expensive in terms of tungsten.

Here is the best one of them HSS-S
http://prntscr.com/al9hjp

This should be the new best turbine you can make. Shame it has an optimal nominal flow of 42000l/s instead of 40000 as the tungstensteel boilers :p Will probaby get around and do an overview of the interesting turbine materials tomorrow.

Also gonna try and make the gregtech HV mining drill with a HSS-S mining head and see how it performs.

After that its a large heat exchanger and turbines all the way :)
Depends how you define best, HSS-E is a different but viable choice to HSS-S, about 70% more durability but only about 70% of the speed, both T4 with the same damage though. There's also the two T5 materials, although both are expensive in their own way, naquadah alloy has an optimal flow of 24000L/s as large whereas adamantium has 30000L/s, both have the same 1.5mil durability and 150 efficiency, although only neutronium beats them for efficiency. The costs are there though, naquadah alloy costs 1 naquadah and iron per ingot, so 75 naquadah per large turbine which isn't cheap, adamantium just requires steel, but it also requires 9 praecantatio, 36 nebrisum, 36 ordo, and 54 tutamen per ingot, so the 75 ingots for a large turbine will cost a whopping 4050 tutamen and 2700 nebrisum, along with 2700 ordo and 675 praecantatio but those are both much easier to obtain. A decent mob farm can get the tutamen but even using the metallum -> gold -> gold coins loop for metallum to lucrum and Idun's apple juice for lucrum to nebrisum you get 2.6ish metallum per lucrum, and it's 13.5 lucrum per nebrisum last I checked so about four ingots of metallum per nebrisum, obviously unviable without some kinda of very impressive iron golem farm or the like. It could be viable when combined with a mana bean farm however, as farming a few thousand mana beans would take forever as well.

Got sidetracked there though, originally I was just pointing out the HSS-E vs HSS-S thing and the T5 materials before maths appeared.

Reactions: Pyure

Joel Falk

Jul 29, 2019
I should say HSS-S is the one that looks the most promising both considering availability of material, cost and output. I will make a full calculated check later with all the materials that seems somewhat viable. So expect math to appear soon :)

Having a high max output is actually extremly important as the output/rotor basically tells you how cheap a material is. If the output is say 21k l/s that setup is actually twice as expensive as a 42k setup as far as the turbines go.

I will probably add a cell for eu output divided by total cost of setup as the throughput of the turbine REALLY does a lot there.

I'le start calculating from the high tier materials and go down from there. Don't really think that tier 3 and below can really compete thought.

Last edited:

Joel Falk

Jul 29, 2019

Something you should also look into is the throughput of the centrifuge. I think i checked into that before with running 4 centrifuges on ULV (better efficiency) but the power output is extremly low. So i don't think the production of carrots is the big problem here rather the refining process. Althought the numbers might have changed since it was quite a while since i checked this.

But basically you need to check if it has a somewhat decent net power output per time or you will spend a lot of time and effort to produce almost no power :p

Xavion

Jul 29, 2019
I should say HSS-S is the one that looks the most promising both considering availability of material, cost and output. I will make a full calculated check later with all the materials that seems somewhat viable. So expect math to appear soon :)

Having a high max output is actually extremly important as the output/rotor basically tells you how cheap a material is. If the output is say 21k l/s that setup is actually twice as expensive as a 42k setup as far as the turbines go.

I will probably add a cell for eu output divided by total cost of setup as the throughput of the turbine REALLY does a lot there.

I'le start calculating from the high tier materials and go down from there. Don't really think that tier 3 and below can really compete thought.
The most notable T3 material to look at probably is Fluxed Electrum, got max speed so 32000L/s at normal and 48000L/s at large, durability isn't that high unfortunately but when you account for the cost to make it's dirt cheap, just electrum and redstone which combined with still being T3 and the high speed could let it be useful as a decent material that doesn't need anything rare or expensive to obtain.

S

Sven "flamestrider"

Something you should also look into is the throughput of the centrifuge. I think i checked into that before with running 4 centrifuges on ULV (better efficiency) but the power output is extremly low. So i don't think the production of carrots is the big problem here rather the refining process. Althought the numbers might have changed since it was quite a while since i checked this.

But basically you need to check if it has a somewhat decent net power output per time or you will spend a lot of time and effort to produce almost no power :p

Per centrifuge the gain is 3'240 * 1,00 - 1'440 = 1'800 per operation, which takes 14,4 seconds, so 6,25 gain / gametick <- idealized since you'd get power loss from gas turbines.
so with four centrifuges you can sustain 20,5EU/t generation with the LV gas turbines(90% efficiency)

Though with the loss accrued by using a powered farm I dunno what the "real" net gain would be without testing a setup...

Joel Falk

Jul 29, 2019
Think you need to run it at ULV as well or the recepie gets overclocked and the net power output turns negative. So the system must run a gas turbine->transformer->4x centrifuge to work. don't remember the exact numbers but i think the net gain was around 15 eu/t per 4x centrifuges or so which i think is a bit on the low side. When i did it i used a steam turbine to increase the energy density of steam since you can't really fit any amount of steam power into a tank.

So the idea then was lava/solid fuels to steam. Then refine potatoes or carrots into methane using the above centrifuge setup run on steam. Then store the energy as methane which has a energy density that is roughly 90 times higher than steam while increasing the energy content of the steam by about 50%

I looked into this earlier since i wanted to do something else than steam or oil as a MV-HV power source but from my findings then i decided it was not worth the effort.

I might look into this a bit as i realise a lot of people started anew with 3.2 so turbines and nuclear might not be that relevant for most people in some time :) An overview of the early fuel systems might be a lot more helpfull

Last edited:
S

Sven "flamestrider"

from what I have done an LV centrifuge runs the recipe as 5EU/t and MV centrifuge runs it at 20EU/t... since there is no ULV centrifuge the lowest recipe tier is LV even if the voltage could be supplied by ULV cabling/network.

Joel Falk

Jul 29, 2019
I actuallt got a pretty funny carbon based methane production idea. Basically you run water->hydrogen>methane with electrolyzers and chemical reactors. If we go by the pure numbers the net processing cost would be 195k without losses and give gas worth 225k. Im guessing the process should be about break even when you add efficiency but it would be a funny way to turn steam into methane which has 90 times the energy density. (should solve those piping problems)

You would only need small amounts of carbon dust and water :)

1 electrolyzer+chemical reactor would produce 5 buckets of methane every 175 seconds or a net fuel output of 64.3 eu/tick. Thats not bad :)

Last edited:
S

Sven "flamestrider"

if you use it as a power "densification" that's an okay method, but from my earlier calculations the process with electolyzing water gains you a net gain of 2,14EU for those processes, when run in a LV turbine ;)

Joel Falk

Jul 29, 2019
The way it should be thought is actually that you use steam as an indirect media to turn solid fuels or lava into methane. There is large logistical perks to that. One thing is the energy density as steam contains extremly small amounts of energy per volume but the other thing is moving it around. Moving around any amount of energy in the form of steam is extremly difficult on low tech levels so keeping a small setup that produces methane that you store and move around.

Another good thing about solid fuels would also produce ashes that you could use to supply the chemical reactor with carbon dust to produce the methane.

So basically lava/fuel->steam->methane. Gonna calculate the balance on it now but i think i need to consider all the losses in the system to get more accurate results.

A question regarding transmission losses:
How do you consider transmission losses from generators when you have consumers that does not consume the entire package? The way i understood it a LV steam turbine produces a 32 EU package evert tick by consuming 34 EU worth of fuel at an efficiency of X. So if the reactor requires 30 EU does that mean it should skip one tick every 2/32 ticks? Then the total consumtion of a chemical reactor running on steam directly connected with a LV steam turbine should be (30/32 (active time))*34 (actual consumtion)/efficiency = Fuel EU consumtion per tick. And to get that value in steam you multiply it by 2 since 2 steam=1 eu

Im thinking of making a calculation to see how much methane can you produce from 1 piece of charcoal in a high pressure coal boiler, something tells me that would actually be a lot more efficient than centrifuging carrots and potatoes. And if you consider it as a system it does actually produce 64,3 EU/t worth of methane that you could easily scale it up to power a electric blast furnace. Only thing is you could also directly produce about the same amount of power using the steam.

SO maybe not worth it for continous use but for power storage, uneven load and fuel distribution it would work really well.

Thinking about this also makes me wonder of the total efficiency of using 16 LV turbines or 4 MV turbines vs the efficiency of using 1 HV turbines when you consider the total efficiency of the system. While the individual LV turbine has a better efficiency i suspect the actuall efficiency is rather close or better for the higher tier generators when you consider the entire system.