[1.7.10][LISTED] InfiTech 2 Modpack v3.2.21 [HQM][GregTech balanced hard-mode modpack]

• FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

Mikhail Krutov

Jul 29, 2019
You wouldn't heat your crops up next to a large burning underground pit of hot charcoal because it would cause them to wilt and die from moisture loss. I'm thinking this is not a bug.
oh allright, I didn't think of this from this point. :))
Surprised powder barrels dont work though.
they do. They hav ehigher chance to destroy iron instead, however, based on my experience (2 stacks of iron -> 2/3 stack of compressed iron)
Any explosion, even explosion from infusion instability, works.

R

Ressitis

Hello, how I can complete quest "Magic Steel" ? I done all what book says (throw wrought iron nugget and ordo aspect to crucible...), but nothing happend, I don't know anythyng about thaumcraft, and about his problem I didnt find anything on google.

GammaGoblin

Jul 29, 2019
I have problem with quest involving "impure pile of iron dust" - it does not detect. And there is no "manual detect button". And i dont think there is multiple "types" of said dust.

Update: Ok, "fixed". If I obtain impure pile via steam hammer - quest wont complete; with "hand" hammer - would complete.

Last edited:

Xavion

Jul 29, 2019
Hello, how I can complete quest "Magic Steel" ? I done all what book says (throw wrought iron nugget and ordo aspect to crucible...), but nothing happend, I don't know anythyng about thaumcraft, and about his problem I didnt find anything on google.
Yeah, we should really tweak that or at least add info. But you'll need to research steel transmutation or fabrication or whatever it's called, to do that you'll first need to scan iron for thaumium, then get gold transmutation and I think that'll unlock wrought iron creation which needs to be researched for steel, just poke around in those researches in alchemy till it unlocks if that doesn't work, it's in there somewhere.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
In addition to Xavion's advice which probably has you covered, also just make sure your crucible is boiling before you toss anything in.
You can get it boiling by lighting a fire under it (netherrack fires burn forever) or putting nitor under it (my preference, quieter and won't cause fires) and probably a lot of other options.

I do not believe a torch will suffice. Lava probably will.

A

Astrik

How do I get titanium in 128v era? On NEI i've found only the recipes using UU and titanium combs...

Xavion

Jul 29, 2019
How do I get titanium in 128v era? On NEI i've found only the recipes using UU and titanium combs...
Really? That's odd. According to what NEI says for me however you can't really, however the process and requirements for you as you basically can.
  • Notable Requirements
    • Plastic production and stainless steel for machines
    • Make a HV chemical reactor
    • EBF that can take HV voltages, multiple amps of MV should work
    • Rutile dust, magnesium dust, and chlorine
  • The Process
    • Combine 1 rutile dust, 3 carbon dust, and 2000mB of chlorine in the HV chemical reactor
    • Put the resulting titaniumtetrachloride in the EBF along with 2 magnesium dust
    • Get 1 titanium ingot and 2 magnesium chloride dust
You can then reprocess the magnesium chloride dust to get 75% of the magnesium and chlorine back at the cost of a sodium dust, so all together the process costs 1 sodium dust, 2 carbon dust, 1 rutile dust, 0.5 magnesium dust, and 500mB chlorine per titanium ingot.

Reactions: Astrik
S

Sven "flamestrider"

Is there any way of finding out how the efficiency of liquid fuels in large boilers work? Maybe the GT5 u developer or a config or something. It's hard to say something definetly when you are only speculation and since the boilers have a warmup period it is rather difficult to make a accurate test to see how much it produces.
The warm-up period is approx 32, 63, 97, 125 seconds for the Large Gregtech boilers by tier, and thus uses that much charcoal(any fuel value 1600 equivalent) for warm-up, if you use that timing as a starting point to measure liquid fuel efficiency you'll be pretty close without looking into the code to get equations and such :)

A

Astrik

Really? That's odd. According to what NEI says for me however you can't really, however the process and requirements for you as you basically can.
  • Notable Requirements
    • Plastic production and stainless steel for machines
    • Make a HV chemical reactor
    • EBF that can take HV voltages, multiple amps of MV should work
    • Rutile dust, magnesium dust, and chlorine
  • The Process
    • Combine 1 rutile dust, 3 carbon dust, and 2000mB of chlorine in the HV chemical reactor
    • Put the resulting titaniumtetrachloride in the EBF along with 2 magnesium dust
    • Get 1 titanium ingot and 2 magnesium chloride dust
You can then reprocess the magnesium chloride dust to get 75% of the magnesium and chlorine back at the cost of a sodium dust, so all together the process costs 1 sodium dust, 2 carbon dust, 1 rutile dust, 0.5 magnesium dust, and 500mB chlorine per titanium ingot.
Hmmm, thanks! It works.

S

Sven "flamestrider"

Jason, is there a reason why compressed wood pulp, aka wood plates, have 1600 as fuel values? From one wood log -> macerator: 6 wood pulp -> compressor: 6 wood plates makes 9600 fuel from one log in merely two processing steps, if it's intentional I'll make that my boiler fuel, but if not maybe it'll be tweaked in version 3.2.4?

Reactions: Pyure

GammaGoblin

Jul 29, 2019
Could anyone spoil contents of a quest-shop? So far, i have 3 metals.
Shall i spend coins now, or something rare, like iridium, would come up in the shop?

Xavion

Jul 29, 2019
Shall i spend coins now, or something rare, like iridium, would come up in the shop?
Rarer stuff come up later but they're more expensive too, ignoring coin bags every coin from all the bronze age quests combined wasn't even half the cost of a single purchase of iridium last I checked.

S

Sven "flamestrider"

Personally I saved most my early coins for buying steel, saves more time than buying other metals imo... buying early lithium is nice for early high tier batteries, unless you have access to a good salt mine :)

Mikhail Krutov

Jul 29, 2019
I do not believe a torch will suffice. Lava probably will.
torches do not work
lava or fire works, even multiple low-duration of fires would (like 10 planks burnt in a row would be OK to boil crucible but you have to act fast after that, I did my first nitor this way on 3.1)

Also, how much oil on average should it be in an oil sands mine? For now, I'm making plastics only from that stuff, and I've had like 6 stacks of it from a single veins; and I have 6 of them.in 1 km radius.. Seems a lot.

Joel Falk

Jul 29, 2019
The warm-up period is approx 32, 63, 97, 125 seconds for the Large Gregtech boilers by tier, and thus uses that much charcoal(any fuel value 1600 equivalent) for warm-up, if you use that timing as a starting point to measure liquid fuel efficiency you'll be pretty close without looking into the code to get equations and such :)

If the consumtion is constant and only the steam production is affected during startup it should actually be rather simple. Just see how long it runs on X buckets of nitro diesel and multiply by the amount of burn value it goes through each second (this should be 40000/48000*1600= 1333 1/3 ticks of fuel per second. I will be back later once ive tested it :)

Edit:
10 buckets of nitro diesel lasts just about 2½ minute in the boiler or 150/10= 15 s per bucket. This means each bucket should produce 15*40000=600k steam while at full efficiency. Since the energy value is 512k EU in 1 bucket of nitro diesel we could translate this to 1.17 times the eu value in steam for other fuels.

Using a large steam turbine with 140% rotor this would give a net output of 420k eu per bucket of nitro diesel or an efficiency of 82%. Just 3 % below the turbo diesel generators.

Not as bad as i thought but still not very good. You should be able to run a tungstensteel boiler constantly with a distillery setup run with oil (not heavy or light) with some excess as long as you run the process mostly on the byproducts (sulfuric acid, naptha, methane, LPG) and produce 1400 eu/t in your voltage tier of choice with a large tungstensteel boiler and 1-2 large low pressure steam turbine using 140% turbine blades

Last edited:
A

Astrik

When my drill gets broken can I use a disassembler to recycle it and use again?

S

Sven "flamestrider"

If the consumtion is constant and only the steam production is affected during startup it should actually be rather simple. Just see how long it runs on X buckets of nitro diesel and multiply by the amount of burn value it goes through each second (this should be 40000/48000*1600= 1333 1/3 ticks of fuel per second. I will be back later once ive tested it :)

Edit:
10 buckets of nitro diesel lasts just about 2½ minute in the boiler or 150/10= 15 s per bucket. This means each bucket should produce 15*40000=600k steam while at full efficiency. Since the energy value is 512k EU in 1 bucket of nitro diesel we could translate this to 1.17 times the eu value in steam for other fuels.

Using a large steam turbine with 140% rotor this would give a net output of 420k eu per bucket of nitro diesel or an efficiency of 82%. Just 3 % below the turbo diesel generators.

Not as bad as i thought but still not very good. You should be able to run a tungstensteel boiler constantly with a distillery setup run with oil (not heavy or light) with some excess as long as you run the process mostly on the byproducts (sulfuric acid, naptha, methane, LPG) and produce 1400 eu/t in your voltage tier of choice with a large tungstensteel boiler and 1-2 large low pressure steam turbine using 140% turbine blades

I dunno if I agree that using diesel-esque fuels to make steam makes sense from an intuitive perspective... I'd rather have a larger diesel power plant(kinda like immersive engineering has) that uses diesel as a combustive fuel to produce straight EU... maybe instead of having a turbine like the gas/steam large turbines it could use lubricant and gears that needs replacement... but no variable efficiency like the turbine rotors? Or maybe electric-pistons...

Edit: (Does anyone have a IRL example of a diesel powered steam plant or are there no such things?)
Nevermind that, a quick google search found a lot of generators that can run on various LPG/Diesel variants, with efficiency 95% and less :)

Last edited:

Joel Falk

Jul 29, 2019
Efficiency of diesel generators should reach maybe 60%, 95% would be impossible. Efficiency of compustion depends a lot on temperature. straight combustion to make steam reaches maybe 40-45% while gas turbines might achieve 55-60%. Even more if its a combined cycle power plant (gas turbine+steam turbine). (just took these numbers out of my head but should be somewhat accurate)

The boiler is the option available right now if you dont want to make a large amount of smaller generators and transform up the voltage. My earlier suggestion that would require a lot less work is make a large turbine for liquid fuels. The main reason why i suggested that is that it would be easy to implement (i think)

Im not sure making a huge multiblock diesel generator would be the most realistic either. While you can use diesel generators to produce electricity they cant really be made that big. So the LV, MV and HV diesel generator is a pretty good representation of what you can make with a straight diesel generator. Another problem is diesel generators requires a lot of maintainance such as (lubricant etc) so it's not very cost effective.

IRL when you make high output diesel power plants they just chain a lot of smaller diesel generators together. The option left then for large scale is either straight combustion or a gas turbine of some sort.

Last edited: