[1.7.10][LISTED] InfiTech 2 Modpack v3.2.21 [HQM][GregTech balanced hard-mode modpack]

• FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

Dlur100

Jul 29, 2019
Well, I'm guessing I accidentally misplaced a component. In the reactor planner I find that the textures of the components don't really stand out from each other very well, and they don't match the texture pack I have in the game at all. I could tell you for sure, but there's nothing left of those experiments.

It seems like with MOX reactors the entire point of them is to get as hot as possible without melting down? But I don't understand what keeps them from melting down and going over 80% heat. This is sort of the issue with not really understanding the technology that well. If I knew what I was actually doing or why a design works the way it works I'd perhaps be more apt to realize that I was putting the wrong component in the wrong place.

I do want to figure reactors out though, and I'll keep trying. I'll look into nuclear controls. Once I swap out my charcoal production from coke ovens to TC I'll have plenty of room to build warded containment rooms :)

Plus what really scares me is that if I'm having this much trouble with nuclear reactors, what's going to happen when I start getting into MK1 fusion, which is a goal of mine. I think fusion doesn't blow up, but surely it's more complex?

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
It seems like with MOX reactors the entire point of them is to get as hot as possible without melting down? But I don't understand what keeps them from melting down and going over 80% heat. This is sort of the issue with not really understanding the technology that well. If I knew what I was actually doing or why a design works the way it works I'd perhaps be more apt to realize that I was putting the wrong component in the wrong place.
Yeah it helps if you can open the reactor plan in the online/offline app and then mouseover each piece to get the name in the tooltip. That way you're certain you have the right one.

With MOX, I can answer your question: to get them to, say, 80% you need to deliberately "sabotage" it. You remove cooling components and watch it begin to overheat. When it gets to around 80%, you throw those cooling components back in, and it just stays like that forever.

Plus what really scares me is that if I'm having this much trouble with nuclear reactors, what's going to happen when I start getting into MK1 fusion, which is a goal of mine. I think fusion doesn't blow up, but surely it's more complex?

Fusion is a bit simpler. There' no GUI you need to manage, you just need to get all the multiblock pieces into the right spot like any big multiblock project. Which can be a pain in the ass, but at least there's no danger.

Joel Falk

Jul 29, 2019

The mox designs are constructed in a way that they never pull heat from the reactor, only from the fuel rods. So to heat a mox reactor up you remove one or several of the heat vents closest to the fuel rod so the heat they would otherwise cool instead increases the temperature of the reactor. Once you have reached the desired temperature on the reactor which is 75-80% heat you put the heat vents back again. Because the vents only move heat from the fuel rod and not the hull it will stay forever at that temperature even if you turn it off. Also since the reactor is at such a high temperature it will damage nearby enteties aswell as randomly put blocks on fire but thats not a problem if you have a hazmat suit.

The reason why i say 75-80% is that you MUST not go over 80 % or the blocks around the reactor will start melting which can quite easily get you in a lot of problem.

SolManX

Jul 29, 2019
I would probably use a steam to refine oil into fuel with a gregtech refinery if you have that set up already. If you don't care about the steam its more efficient than using the pneumaticraft refinery as you get a 1:1 ratio of fuel to oil and only about 68% with pneumaticraft. But if you also consider the steam used the total power output of the pneumaticraft system is higher.

But i think for most people steam is essentialy free in which case the GT route is better. So a LV steam sturbine running a LV distillery (don't remember setting)). I'ts pretty slow thought (think its something like 8 mb/16 tics) so for larger setups of fuel you would probably have to use several of these. MV is not an alternative as it completly destroys the efficiency of the system.

Sorry to be such a novice, but are you talking about any oil? Does it matter if it's from bc, galacticraft, pneumaticraft or GT?

Dlur100

Jul 29, 2019
Hmm. Well I guess I'll try it again. MOX really seems like a good way to go since I have a readily available supply of plutonium (thanks Gendustry!).

On another completely unrelated note: Any thoughts on whether the wither's special attacks will destroy liquid death? Has anyone experimented to see how long it would take for a bee with the Heroic effect to kill a mob with the wither's HP (like the wither)? Maybe Radiation effect would work too...

The reason I'm thinking about this is that I've been enjoying Transvector Interfaces quite a lot and using the heck out of them. But I hadn't really thought of a good use for a Transvector Dislocator and maybe I've found one. Since it can teleport blocks up to 16 blocks away, I can make a wither kill box and use 5 transvector dislocators to place the soul sand and wither heads inside of the wither kill box and use redstone to time the placing of those blocks. Park a snow golem at the other end of the kill box so the wither is attracted to that end of the box and use a bit of a chute made out of warded glass ending at a vacuum chest to collect the loot. If I placed some bees with Heroic effect at that end I could kill the wither with no power consumed perhaps? Powering tesla coils doesn't seem to be much fun :)

Dlur100

Jul 29, 2019
Sorry to be such a novice, but are you talking about any oil? Does it matter if it's from bc, galacticraft, pneumaticraft or GT?
In my experience when refining oil it doesn't matter what the source type of the oil is, at least when refining it the GT method (LV distillers or distillery tower)

Reactions: SolManX

Earthmagnet

Jul 29, 2019
Oh boy, we're talking about oil!

I've pretty much just finished going through the LV age in a world where I told myself to never make a single coke oven. What this meant was that I needed to get through the steam age with a lignite/coal vein (a single lignite vein did the job) in order to build the basic components for my LV machines.

My first machine was, unlike most people here, not a steam generator but a diesel generator. I built a pneumaticcraft refinery tower that I ran with burning netherrack, rerouting the LPG to a liquid compressor (with 5 speed upgrades) powering two vortex tubes and two thermopneumatic processing plants to maximize the amount of gasoline produced.

With that setup, I had the ability to make about 80 EU/t for pretty much free with a very cheap setup - the only really limiting factor was iron availability (since I had a massive BC oil geyser, oil wasn't a problem).

This was all much easier than it sounds - much easier and less time consuming than making a bunch of coke ovens and associated steam infrastructure.
I think pneumaticcraft recipes should be greggified somehow :)

Reactions: Pyure and SolManX

twisto51

Jul 29, 2019
We just need exploding coke ovens to make nuclear more attractive. :p

Did you tweak your dimensional transceiver configs? They're prohibitively expensive by default to prevent people from bypassing the lossy-infrastructure, although I have no qualms with people reconfiging them for the purpose you mentioned.

No, I did not. They're expensive but they're not too expensive, unless perhaps you mean in operating power costs. 650RF/t to keep the link up seems a bit steep, 30% energy loss, 100RF/bucket, but I don't see anything in the config about cost to send items so perhaps it would still be economical for sending the charcoal itself.

If I had to move due to framerate issues I probably wouldn't feel bad about tweaking the config.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pyure and SolManX

DarknessShadow

Jul 29, 2019

No, I did not. They're expensive but they're not too expensive, unless perhaps you mean in operating power costs. 650RF/t to keep the link up seems a bit steep, 30% energy loss, 100RF/bucket, but I don't see anything in the config about cost to send items so perhaps it would still be economical for sending the charcoal itself.

If I had to move due to framerate issues I probably wouldn't feel bad about tweaking the config.
The 650rf/t is just to make it a bit more expensive than the ! MULITBLOCK ! from ae2 which needs 600rf/t and can do the same things. -> https://github.com/JasonMcRay/InfiTech-1.7/issues/332

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario

Nope that sounds about right. Actually I was thinking of energy transportation itself which is prohibitive now that I think of it.

twisto51

Jul 29, 2019
The 650rf/t is just to make it a bit more expensive than the ! MULITBLOCK ! from ae2 which needs 600rf/t and can do the same things. -> https://github.com/JasonMcRay/InfiTech-1.7/issues/332

I'd agree with that logic if I could bridge two physically separate AE networks with a dimensional transceiver. That's why the quantum bridge is so expensive, it allows full access to your entire AE2 network anywhere you feel like setting 1+1 up and powering them.

DarknessShadow

Jul 29, 2019
I'd agree with that logic if I could bridge two physically separate AE networks with a dimensional transceiver. That's why the quantum bridge is so expensive, it allows full access to your entire AE2 network anywhere you feel like setting 1+1 up and powering them.
Also don't forget that you can easily teleporter players / entities with the dimensional transceiver which is very complicated to do with the quantum bridge (spatial io).

With logisticspipes inventory system connector pipe and the dimensional transceiver you can request items from your ae2 system (only items not crafting).

edit: hm player teleport is disabled in config

Last edited:

twisto51

Jul 29, 2019
Also don't forget that you can easily teleporter players / entities with the dimensional transceiver which is very complicated to do with the quantum bridge (spatial io).

Teleportation costs are in the EnderIO config. Could simply disable the telepad itself as well. The dimensional transceiver is a dumb wormhole with limited bandwidth. The quantum gateway is a smart wormhole with practically infinite bandwidth.

I'm not saying resource teleportation should be cheap, much less free. I'm simply saying that directly comparing the transceiver to the gateway is apples and orange groves.

Last edited:

Bweslake

Jul 29, 2019
hey there! is it still possible to use RC steam turbines? i cant seem to craft the ic2 cables to attach them to the IC2 power storage, and the gregtech cable isn't connecting

Dlur100

Jul 29, 2019
hey there! is it still possible to use RC steam turbines? i cant seem to craft the ic2 cables to attach them to the IC2 power storage, and the gregtech cable isn't connecting
I place IC2 power storage (CESU, MFE, MFSU) directly adjacent to the RC steam turbines, thus avoiding any wiring there. If I must output from the IC2 power storage with a wire you put a GT transformer of the appropriate tier dot to dot with the IC2 power storage and use GT wire from there.

Dlur100

Jul 29, 2019
Has anyone had any luck finding a MigukNamja or Slayeruga to kill in the game yet? I think I could build a tower to the sun with all the Jason McRay heads that my mob farm has churned out and I have a couple of Shiny's also. A MigukNamja head would look smashing over the door to my bee farm I bet. :(

Reactions: SolManX

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Has anyone had any luck finding a MigukNamja or Slayeruga to kill in the game yet? I think I could build a tower to the sun with all the Jason McRay heads that my mob farm has churned out and I have a couple of Shiny's also. A MigukNamja head would look smashing over the door to my bee farm I bet. :(
Miguk and I shared a base last year, but I can't recall any times I explicitly got him killed. But yeah, bee farm would be the right place for the head.

Dlur100

Jul 29, 2019
Miguk and I shared a base last year, but I can't recall any times I explicitly got him killed. But yeah, bee farm would be the right place for the head.
I was thinking more of since he became a named mob in the pack for donating to Jason, but that's disappointing that you didn't even blow him up with some reactor or something at least once. I share a base, sort of, with my teenage son (I say sort of because I'll do things like accumulate a JABBA barrel full of steel ingots, and he'll do something like use those ingots to make 30 full sets of steel armor to put in a barracks building). I haven't gotten him killed yet, but I have offed several of his dogs :( He built a mausoleum and cemetery in honor of all of his MC pets I've killed by accident or otherwise.

Definitely bee farm. I was sort of thinking that maybe Miguk is the Patreon saint of bee breeding advice :p

Reactions: Pyure

GammaGoblin

Jul 29, 2019
Jason, what about that minetweaker script fix for them cells? I`m building my GraviChest and looks like another recipe is broken, recipe for cooling core. All of its components are crafting fine, but when its time to combine all the parts, Cooling Core would not craft.