[1.7.10][LISTED] InfiTech 2 Modpack v3.2.21 [HQM][GregTech balanced hard-mode modpack]

• FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

asb3pe

Jul 29, 2019
You probably already know, but according to the guide, scheelite is found within a tungstate vein (levels 20-50), even though scheelite will the most common ore in the vein.

So now I see why tunneling horizontal is such an awful idea... the veins are only 6-7 blocks tall, so if I'm tunneling at elev 35, right in the middle, I could still miss a vein located at, say, 22-28... or a vein at 42-48. I've never used this "scanner" spoken of, but does it have a range of 8 blocks in all directions? If so, then perhaps tunneling is still valid. But vertical exploration shafts are clearly superior because the only thing we need to do it is wood, which is a 100% infinitely renewable resource.

I wish the GT world-gen could "tilt" the ore deposits for more realism... and spread them out over a larger vertical distance, so horizontal tunneling didn't have this problem of near misses. Have the vein begin up around 50, but spread it diagonally downward to 20, if you know what I mean. No more flat mining where you just find the ore then dig horizontal until it ends.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
So now I see why tunneling horizontal is such an awful idea... the veins are only 6-7 blocks tall, so if I'm tunneling at elev 35, right in the middle, I could still miss a vein located at, say, 22-28... or a vein at 42-48. I've never used this "scanner" spoken of, but does it have a range of 8 blocks in all directions? If so, then perhaps tunneling is still valid. But vertical exploration shafts are clearly superior because the only thing we need to do it is wood, which is a 100% infinitely renewable resource.

I wish the GT world-gen could "tilt" the ore deposits for more realism... and spread them out over a larger vertical distance, so horizontal tunneling didn't have this problem of near misses. Have the vein begin up around 50, but spread it diagonally downward to 20, if you know what I mean. No more flat mining where you just find the ore then dig horizontal until it ends.
There's two scanners, OD and OV, and I believe the good one(OV?) has a range of 15 or 16 in any direction.

Aiwendil

Jul 29, 2019

OV Scanner and a destruction pickaxe/disintegrate pick of the core and with this combo tunneling is the best option. You go really fast and you only have to stop every chunk and scan.

nonamefhh

Jul 29, 2019
OV Scanner and a destruction pickaxe/disintegrate pick of the core and with this combo tunneling is the best option. You go really fast and you only have to stop every chunk and scan.

I prefer a mining laser and a lappack. You should be able to build a mining laser if if you can build the ov scanner.
If you have found a vein just switch to horizontal mode. 10-20 minutes later --> vein is gone

sprAngles

Jul 29, 2019
So I got to the Stainless Steel stage finally, after 4 or 5 long days of play... I always thought Chrome was one of the rare dusts, however I've got plenty of that thanks to processing all my Ruby Ore... what's holding me back from progressing is Manganese. NEI lists six ores containing it, none of which I've found, and the only one I think I've ever found in past play-thrus is Scheelite Ore. How do you find or make Manganese Dust while progressing thru early-game? Is it basically "go mine until you find some Scheelite", or is there another way?
Is there not a pyrolusite vein containing grossular, spessartine, pyrolusite and tantalite in this pack? Pyrolusite can be smelted directly into manganese and spessartine can be electrolysed to give the same - I've always been swimming in manganese.

Consulting the configs it seems that this vein is actually twice as likely to spawn as a tungstate vein.

Dlur100

Jul 29, 2019
And for various magical reasons, farms have to be pretty far apart to not somehow cross-pollinate using the order upgrade.

I'm starting to get rather frustrated with the order upgrade. I had a field crosspolinate vertically 11 blocks with multiple floors in between them.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
I'm starting to get rather frustrated with the order upgrade. I had a field crosspolinate vertically 11 blocks with multiple floors in between them.
If you're managing multiple fields, forget order. Use the "use" upgrade.

The only downside is you have to manually click each land plot with the bell to show them where to plant something (and you have to have one planter golem per type of crop) but I think its a small price to pay for some sanity.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Is there not a pyrolusite vein containing grossular, spessartine, pyrolusite and tantalite in this pack? Pyrolusite can be smelted directly into manganese and spessartine can be electrolysed to give the same - I've always been swimming in manganese.

Consulting the configs it seems that this vein is actually twice as likely to spawn as a tungstate vein.
Something like that yes? There's definitely all those ores.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Jesus I just about got lynched on the IC2 forum when someone asked me my ideas on pollution in GT5u.

Suddenly the thread was flushed with 14 million "better" ideas, and I was nearly voted from the forum for eternity when I didn't greenlight them all.

Gonna switch to some more mundane coding for a while. Or maybe go back to work on Jason's Top Secret Project. Yeah, I'll do that :)

asb3pe

Jul 29, 2019

Okay good to know, thanks. Spessartine and Pyrolusite are in the NEI list for manganese, however I couldn't ever recall seeing those ores in any of my worlds so I wasn't even sure if they were overworld ores or not. But when you said Grossular, I'm certain I've see that type before, so that's encouraging. At this point I'll take any manganese, however the Scheelite vein is still the big one, because if I recall correctly, finding Tungstate is the only way to make Tungstensteel using just overworld ores.

Joel Falk

Jul 29, 2019
Now that you say it thats the vein im using right now for manganese, didn't take me that long to find either

asb3pe

Jul 29, 2019

Quite honestly, after mining by hand with slow pickaxes, this IC2 Diamond Drill is pretty darn snappy. Love it. No need to carry around 2 pickaxes plus a shovel anymore either, this thing does it all and does it quicker than any metal pickaxe I could make. Obviously the material savings is the biggest draw of all. Suddenly I can mine Black Granite in quantity for both the Silicon as well as the Oxygen... when I was using pickaxes I never wanted to waste the materials to make a Level 3 pick just to mine some Granite. Now all I need is a recharge and I'm good to go. It's the little things like these awesome power tools... makes all the difference... such as the first thing I made once I achieved Stainless Steel? Why, the Electric Treetap, of course. LOL I was so sick of making wooden tree taps every 6 trees... not to mention the friggin things don't stack...

Jason McRay

Jul 29, 2019
Gonna switch to some more mundane coding for a while. Or maybe go back to work on Jason's Top Secret Project. Yeah, I'll do that :)
That would be nice of you... It seems like we will miss this month deadline, but I want to be able to reach the next month deadline without any problems. :p

Joel Falk

Jul 29, 2019
How do you guys do your ore processing? I stayed at steam macerators for the longest time untill i got myself some stainless steel. Then i made 4 universal macerators running on 8 volts with 1 steam turbine and 1 transformer. Same setup for centrifuge (its actually my methanol line but whatever :D)

Next ile do something similar for ore washing although i think you need 1 LV generator for each one of those, got to love those 5 Eu/tick recepies :D

nonamefhh

Jul 29, 2019
I am currently processing redstone for ruby and chrome dust. I am using the mercury to create a little bit extra power.
The setup is powering completly itself, which is nice, but I want to feed the extra energy into my mainsystem. That would be easy if the eu-splitter-cable wouldn't be deactivated. I don't know how to to that without the eu-splitter cable. I tried the energy detector, machine controller and/or shuttermodul in a few different configurations, but I can't replicate the function of the eu-splitter cable.

the wiki says: "Shutter Module and Machine Controller together can be used as power switch."
I am just doing something wrong or missunderstand something like always :confused::mad:(or it is not possible with that way)

edit: btw converting sulfur into sulfuric acid and sulfuric acid into batteries should be buffed a little bit. atm it isn't possible to get a plus, because the machines are draining too much eu. the conversion from sulfur into sulfuric acid should be less expensiv.

Last edited:

Blood Asp

Jul 29, 2019
Single use batteries got buffed in GT5.09. IT2 will use that version once it is ready.

To use the shutter/controller setup, place the shutter beween the cables you want to disconnect. Then place the machine controller on the same block as the shutter is, but on the side were no cable is. Now apply redstone signal to controller and the cable shoud connect/disconnect.

Reactions: nonamefhh

Joel Falk

Jul 29, 2019
I have one suggestion that solves some of the early game spamming into the later game that does not involve pollution(just came from the ic2 forum).

However it is a rather large change to the steam system as it currently is. Hate it or love it steam is a core concept for how to play gregtech so it would be nice to make it more realistic and interesting. Right now from a IRL perspective the Steam implementation is very simplistic and it just so happens to be that the tiered system of gregtech would suit a more realistic implementation of steam very well. In short rather than have generic steam you have steam at different pressures which correspond to certain tech tiers. So basically at higher tiers you have high tech steam generators that produce steam at higher pressure (which also takes less volume than lower pressure steam). Ofc you also make it so higher tier generators require high pressure steam. Thus making it impossible to run your high tech steam generator off 100 high pressure lava boilers. You could also avoid certain fuels in the higher tiers of generators such as lava to prevent people from powering their base on only nether lava. for instance they could require pulverized solid fuels or something similar.

IC2 has a similar implimentation where the superheated steam could correspond to the highest pressure level which is supercritical steam (more than 220 bars).

You could also make it in the same way as ic2 that higher tier steam turbines output lower pressure steam. Getting the flow rate realistic on that would be somewhat complicated as the steam you inject into the high tier machines would have several times the volume by the time its low pressure. So HV machine requires 100mb/t HP steam and outputs 400 mb/t of medium pressure steam or something similar. If you went for a realistic scenario on the volume increase it would be... problematic

Do you guys this is an interesting concept? i could flesh out the concept a lot more if that is the case. I think it could add a LOT to the whole steam thing

Last edited:
Reactions: Pyure

nonamefhh

Jul 29, 2019
How is it possible to get a redstonesignal from a battery buffer if the buffer is filled? Not if it is half-full, just if it is full. Just like the CESU.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
How is it possible to get a redstonesignal from a battery buffer if the buffer is filled? Not if it is half-full, just if it is full. Just like the CESU.
There's a energy detector cover which Blood added. Attach it to the buffer, and use a screwdriver until you get to the correct signal setting. Its one of the last settings (there's a bunch of them).

It will then output a signal 0-15 depending how full it is.

nonamefhh

Jul 29, 2019
There's a energy detector cover which Blood added. Attach it to the buffer, and use a screwdriver until you get to the correct signal setting. Its one of the last settings (there's a bunch of them).

It will then output a signal 0-15 depending how full it is.

I know there exists a Energy detector cover, which outputs a singal from 0-15 depending how full it is. Unfortunatly I need a clear 1 or 0 signal. If one side is 100/75%/50% powered the other side should get energy.