[1.7.10][LISTED] InfiTech 2 Modpack v3.2.21 [HQM][GregTech balanced hard-mode modpack]

• FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

GrumbD

Jul 29, 2019
Is your base near spawn ? Maybe the RC boiler is chunkloaded through the "Spawn" but the treefarm isnt.

No we are probably around 100 blocks from the spawn and there are no structures in the spawn area.

This setup has been running for a couple of weeks prior to this with the boilers resuming in the state they were in when the last person logged off.

Re: Opis. Yes I was using mapwriter "forced chunks" there are no dots around the base. I just accessed it via Opis.

Last edited:

Ieldra

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2014
Yes ALL LV machines are more efficent than the higher tier machines
It is because they are designed after the original "Overclocker Upgrade" (faster + less efficent) so greg decided to remove the upgrade and just make higher tier machines

IC2EU and GTEU can be transformed into each other
GTEU directly into IC2 machine
IC2EU -> IC2 Transformer(or batbox/mfe) -> GT Transformer -> GTEU

and apparently MFSU into Ultra Low Voltage Transformer works without explosions
Hmm...mechanics that encourage machine spam are not good design. Is there any way around having to use those generators in Infitech? Such as using other mods' generators to fill an IC2 power storage block? I have a significant dislike for inefficiency in my power systems.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
I'm wondering why the efficiency of GT's generators goes down with their tier. That appears counter-intuitive - and doesn't it mean it's more advantageous to spam LV generators and transform the power up, rather than using the higher-tier ones? The optimal MV power setup, for instance, appears to be "place four LV generators around an LV->MV transformer".
Did you even read my rant about this? :)

Yes, you're correct. Its bad design. He tried to combine overclocking and upgrading. But that breaks the "better is better" philosophy of game design. Any actual game-design company that did this would lose money. People know, consciously or subconsciously, that tiering up is pointless when the Basic machines are the best.

Better technology should always be better. I've been racking my brains trying to think up a cover system that Blood could easily implement to fix this but there are a lot of stumbling blocks.

Also, do IC2's power storage blocks work with GT? They appear to be a considerably more compact way to store power.
Depends on the buffer you're using, but yeah an MFSU is my go-to for storage for quite a while. Once you can make tier4 and tier5 battery buffers its a different discussion.

Interestingly I prefer to output my mfsu power in series rather than parallel (because its easier to monitor total power and flip generators off and on). The problem is this limits me to 2048 eu/t output, which is another reason I eventually switch to GT buffers, which output (eu*batteries)/t instead.

Hmm...mechanics that encourage machine spam are not good design. Is there any way around having to use those generators in Infitech? Such as using other mods' generators to fill an IC2 power storage block? I have a significant dislike for inefficiency in my power systems.
I also despise inefficiency. This bothers me a lot, but sometimes you just say eff it and make the turbo upgraded versions to save space and aggravation. Argh :(

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Hi all

Myself and a couple of friends are playing Infitech on a private server, recently we have been having a problem.

We have a 36HP RC boiler fed by a fleet of coke ovens and a forestry tree farm. The tree farm is at least 3 chunks away from the ovens and boiler.

For the last 4 days the first person to log in that day has discovered the Boiler cold and all the charcoal gone. When checked the tree farm is fully stocked and immediately starts producing logs.

I and assuming that the server is keeping the RC boiler chunk continuously loaded overnight even when no-one is logged in as it is exhausting the charcoal reserves.

I'm not sure what is causing this problem, for about a day we did have some world anchors placed around the base but I have removed them.
  • Server logs show no-one is logged in during this period. However there are several can't keep up messages....
  • Opis does not show any forced chunks around the base.
  • A server reboot does not resolve the issue.
  • Upgraded from 2.2.0 to 2.2.1.1 does not resolve the issue

Has anyone any ideas on what could be causing this?

Thanks
I have always had odd results with RC on servers with respect to chunkloading. As best I can tell, if the area isn't properly chunkloaded, some processes continue to happen and some don't, with the end result that you eat all your fuel without any output.

There's no amazing solution to this other than properly chunkloading the area, or automating your fuel-feed so that it only happens when it receives a signal (which ideally happens when you need charcoal/power/whatever)

DarknessShadow

Jul 29, 2019
Is there any way around having to use those generators in Infitech? Such as using other mods' generators to fill an IC2 power storage block? I have a significant dislike for inefficiency in my power systems.
You can use the Railcraft Steam Turbine with 200eu/t.
(compared to the gregtech turbines its 100% efficency)

And in v3 Fusion will be back :)

Reactions: Pyure

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
i can't promise whether it will be available in V3, but I found the combustion generator for eIO also burned diesel at a much better rate than a diesel generator (in fact it burns diesel at a rate slightly better than nitrodiesel in a GT generator).

Obviously this would need to be transformed one way or another into eu, hopefully via blood's new wiring changes.

Ieldra

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2014
@Pyure:
No, I didn't read your rant, but I understand how you feel. I think this issue is rant-worthy, too, but I didn't want to jump to conclusions since I don't know GT all that well yet. Unfortunately, I recall Jason saying that most non GT generators will be disabled in v3. That would be unpleasant. I already noticed that you can't make a Big Reactor power tap, which means that if you use a Big Reactor, you'll have to use steam... and either go to the considerable expense of making a BigReactors turbine or use GT steam turbines.

@DarknessShadow:
The Railcraft steam turbine has a rotor that takes durability damage over time. Unless I can find a way to automate its replacement, I won't go there. There is too much other stuff to do and I can't afford to waste attention on regular maintenance.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
@Pyure:
No, I didn't read your rant, but I understand how you feel. I think this issue is rant-worthy, too, but I didn't want to jump to conclusions since I don't know GT all that well yet. Unfortunately, I recall Jason saying that most non GT generators will be disabled in v3. That would be unpleasant. I already noticed that you can't make a Big Reactor power tap, which means that if you use a Big Reactor, you'll have to use steam... and either go to the considerable expense of making a BigReactors turbine or use GT steam turbines.
You should always read my rants. You and I have similar playstyles (with some differences) and we think along similar lines. Moreover, my rants are awesome.

Kidding aside: Taking out the power tap was my doing. Sorry. Big Reactors was too buff, and its STILL too buff. Even with the gigantic, crazy expensive turbine, the crappy multipliers and the obnoxiousness of trying to convert the power to EU, its insanely powerful for this pack. Do note that there are still clever things you can do however. If you can't build the turbine, there are still other steam consuming generators (but the trick will be feeding sufficient water into the reactor at this point without a BR-closed-loop).

If we take away the difficult energy conversion problems I will almost certainly push for further nerfed multipliers. That sort of output should be reserved for fusion power.

Also: you can't automate absolutely everything in this pack. That said: if you're into thaumcraft, TC rotors can be repaired in the thaumic tinkerer repair thingy. Thaumic Restorer? I forget the name. You may be able to automate that process with fuzzy logic.

Reactions: Fraction2

Ieldra

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2014
You should always read my rants. You and I have similar playstyles (with some differences) and we think along similar lines. Moreover, my rants are awesome.

Kidding aside: Taking out the power tap was my doing. Sorry. Big Reactors was too buff, and its STILL too buff. Even with the gigantic, crazy expensive turbine, the crappy multipliers and the obnoxiousness of trying to convert the power to EU, its insanely powerful for this pack. Do note that there are still clever things you can do however. If you can't build the turbine, there are still other steam consuming generators (but the trick will be feeding sufficient water into the reactor at this point without a BR-closed-loop).

If we take away the difficult energy conversion problems I will almost certainly push for further nerfed multipliers. That sort of output should be reserved for fusion power.
The thing is if you want a power system you don't have to babysit - and that's, in my opinion, the only kind worth spending any kind of serious work on - Big Reactors appears to be the only option at a time when your power requirements go beyond what can be supplied by tree farms but you aren't ready for fusion yet. I would really hate to see it further nerfed. Also, be careful about what you recommend. I recall you were responsible for ReactorCraft's turbines requiring lubricant to run. I'd say that didn't turn out too well.

Also: you can't automate absolutely everything in this pack. That said: if you're into thaumcraft, TC rotors can be repaired in the thaumic tinkerer repair thingy. Thaumic Restorer? I forget the name. You may be able to automate that process with fuzzy logic.
Thaumic Restorer from Thaumic Tinkerer. And yes, I absolutely am very much into Thaumcraft. It's high on the list of my favorite mods, I can do the research in my sleep and sometimes it appears that know the aspect tree by heart. I appreciate that in this pack, some of the mods which make TC items obsolete are not present, so I may end up using more of it than in other worlds. Also, scanning GT machines and items gives you a lot of ordo and instrumentum research points, which creates one of the more useful aspect chains in research. Also, I am thinking of the time when I may be able to do the TTKami stuff. In this pack, doing the absolutely insane work required to make those items (uh, 32 infusions with 64 spiritus, 32 lux, 64 humanus, a nether star and an infernal and ender shard each just to create the raw material for everything else, which is then made by further infusions) may actually be worth it since there is nothing else like them from other mods.

And the Arcane Bore is actually useful considering how GT veins are structured. I love it! I never used the arcane bore much before, but I will do so in Infitech. And lastly, Thaumcraft is the main reason why I don't play on peaceful before I have a Crimson Cleric caught in a soul jar. The Crimson Cult people spawn only at worldgen, and if a chunk with with an obelisk gets loaded while you're playing on peaceful they'll despawn and never reappear, and you'll never get their book unless you make new chunks while not playing on peaceful.

Last edited:

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
The thing is if you want a power system you don't have to babysit - and that's, in my opinion, the only kind spending any kind of serious work on - Big Reactors appears to be the only option at a time when your power requirements go beyond what can be supplied by tree farms but you aren't ready for fusion yet. I would really hate to see it further nerfed. Also, be careful about what you recommend. I recall you were responsible for ReactorCraft's turbines requiring lubricant to run. I'd say that didn't turn out too well.
The lubricant thing turned out shitty as all hell. Sorry. To be fair: I was chiming in on a mod I wasn't even playing. I have never actually played ReC with lubricated reactors in effect.

The big problem with BR reactors is that as a step past coal, they just step way, way too far. My small BR reactor in another test instance outputs something like 12000 RF/T, throttled 85% closed so it only creates 2000 mb/t. If I successully convert all that to EU at a nominal rate, its around 4000 eu/T. The very best IC2 reactor on the other hand will provide you around 1000 eu/t, give or take, and can explode, and doesn't burn fuel as efficiently, and cannot be automated as easily. Theoretically it could feed several turbines, and those turbines could output closer to 16k rf/t with better coils.

I don't feel that IC2 is at the right level either, btw. It has its own serious problems. But BR goes too far beyond it, hence the tweaks. And honestly, the turbine tweak is a lot of fun, so its win-win. (Incidentally: you can get all the cyanite you need for your turbine by properly processing a few stacks of yellorite ore in a SAG mill with dark steel grinding balls)

What's this TTKami stuff you're talking about?

Yes, the Arcane bore is amazingly useful in this pack. With magic mirrors its beautiful. Although once I can make an advanced diamond drill, I usually switch back to mining manually. Its faster than 2-3 bores and easier to clean out a whole vein w/o missing pieces.

My goal for this pack btw: I really wanna check out thaumic energistics. I hate that jars only store 64 essentia, I'd love to play with the improved storage of T.E. (I understand there's a forbidden knowledge that gives you better jars but w/e, I don't touch that stuff)

GrumbD

Jul 29, 2019
I have always had odd results with RC on servers with respect to chunkloading. As best I can tell, if the area isn't properly chunkloaded, some processes continue to happen and some don't, with the end result that you eat all your fuel without any output.

There's no amazing solution to this other than properly chunkloading the area, or automating your fuel-feed so that it only happens when it receives a signal (which ideally happens when you need charcoal/power/whatever)

Ok I guess I have been lucky up until now, I had also come to the conclusion that the fix is to chunkload the whole system and just keep on top of the increased apatite consumption.

Ieldra

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2014
I don't feel that IC2 is at the right level either, btw. It has its own serious problems. But BR goes too far beyond it, hence the tweaks. And honestly, the turbine tweak is a lot of fun, so its win-win. (Incidentally: you can get all the cyanite you need for your turbine by properly processing a few stacks of yellorite ore in a SAG mill with dark steel grinding balls)
I don't mind requiring a turbine. What I'd want at that point is a power system that can output the equivalent of extreme voltage continuously without me having to babysit it every few hours. I don't know how GT's (fission) reactor works, but if it's anything like IC2's I didn't enjoy the experience since it required that sort of attention.

What's this TTKami stuff you're talking about?
An addon to Thaumic Tinkerer that became incorporated into it with v2. It features extremely powerful personal equipment (A Kami is a small god) as well as its own teleporter system (celestial gateways, teleport players only, extremely neat in their usability but don't work across dimensions). It gets surpassed by some other mods' equipment which is as powerful but available way earlier - none of which is present in Infitech. But the work required to get there is really rather insane - which is why I think Jason may not have deactivated it.

Yes, the Arcane bore is amazingly useful in this pack. With magic mirrors its beautiful. Although once I can make an advanced diamond drill, I usually switch back to mining manually. Its faster than 2-3 bores and easier to clean out a whole vein w/o missing pieces.
What about its power requirement? I look at the power drills' stats and find they run out of power way too soon.

My goal for this pack btw: I really wanna check out thaumic energistics. I hate that jars only store 64 essentia, I'd love to play with the improved storage of T.E. (I understand there's a forbidden knowledge that gives you better jars but w/e, I don't touch that stuff)
Given my real-life personal ideology, I am psychologically unable to avoid acquiring knowledge that anyone considers forbidden ;)
Thaumic Energistics is very, very nice. I worked with in in my first Resonant Rise world but abandoned that world before I could explore all of its intricacies. The essentia provider alone is worth it - you can automate the creation of balanced shards with it, and those are a major PITA to make if you hate flux. Essentia management will use up sh*tloads of channels though. My essentia management network featured more channels than the rest of my base.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
I don't mind requiring a turbine. What I'd want at that point is a power system that can output the equivalent of extreme voltage continuously without me having to babysit it every few hours. I don't know how GT's (fission) reactor works, but if it's anything like IC2's I didn't enjoy the experience since it required that sort of attention.
You can theoretically do full automation of IC2's nuclear system, particularly since we have nuclear control, but I certainly don't know how to get it all straightened out myself.

You may have to accept that we don't have anything that is totally fire-and-forget in GT. Greg in particular hates fire-and-forget power systems, which is why things like super solar generation is filed under "OverPoweredStuff" and disabled by default. (Not that your wishlist contains anything as silly at 512 eu/t solars)

You can certainly consider doing many RC turbines which as mentioned do 200 eu/t efficiently and you can automate the replacement of the rotors if you need to. For myself, I usually do something like Diesel/Nitrodiesel at this point. A few oil wells will generally carry you through this stage in the game so I don't get too stressed about trying to fully automate it.

TTKami stuff: Neato. From what you listed I don't really see anything that looks like it needs disabling. There's nothing wrong with personal teleportation really if its lategame tech or consumes a lot of power.

Advanced Diamond Drills:
They do consume a decent amount of power, but if you just wear a lappack of some sort, you can easily clear out a few veins without even charging it. The advanced diamond drill has a 3x3 mode and carves through stone as fast as an upgraded tico hammer. The cons are that it can be a bit of a pain to make (there's a piece of the puzzle totally missing in NEI) and that it can operate so fast that sometimes the game doesn't keep up and you end up with block desyncs (an invisible block where the client and server don't get along, even in single player).

I may call on you for help on thaumic energistics at some point, but fortunately there seems to be some good resources on youtube to get me started :)

Ieldra

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2014
TTKami stuff: Neato. From what you listed I don't really see anything that looks like it needs disabling. There's nothing wrong with personal teleportation really if its lategame tech or consumes a lot of power.
It's basically a magical equivalent of what Gravitation suite (was that the name) provides in the late game. It's disabled by default in Infitech though (I checked the config). Too bad. I may reactivate it in my worlds eventually but at this time it's a moot question.

Advanced Diamond Drills:
They do consume a decent amount of power, but if you just wear a lappack of some sort, you can easily clear out a few veins without even charging it. The advanced diamond drill has a 3x3 mode and carves through stone as fast as an upgraded tico hammer. The cons are that it can be a bit of a pain to make (there's a piece of the puzzle totally missing in NEI) and that it can operate so fast that sometimes the game doesn't keep up and you end up with block desyncs (an invisible block where the client and server don't get along, even in single player).
Neat. I have been missing my TiCo hammer very much, that I can tell you.

I may call on you for help on thaumic energistics at some point, but fortunately there seems to be some good resources on youtube to get me started :)
Yep, I may have watched some of those myself. Nvidica's thread in the MC forum may also be of some help.

Reactions: Pyure

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Stupid TC question: Why can't I find the Arcane Bellows under the Artifice tab?

edit: may have answered my own question. According to this TC3 page, its hidden behind the infernal furnace research (which, stupidly, is forbidden knowledge. Argh.)

This means warp for me for researching a thing i have zero intention of using.

edit: bleh. Warped. Confirmed bellows location.

Last edited: