[1.7.10][LISTED] InfiTech 2 Modpack v3.2.21 [HQM][GregTech balanced hard-mode modpack]

• FTB will be shutting down this forum by the end of July. To participate in our community discussions, please join our Discord! https://ftb.team/discord

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
@Jason McRay
Thanks for the answers.

The reason I asked about power was that when I researched GT I got the impression that GT generators kinda suck. Can you use the GT distillery to distill Forestry Biomass into Ethanol and burn that in a Diesel generator? If so, that will change the picture.
What's better is I think you can use the distillation tower from GT5u to do it too, and it does it more efficiently.

Dentvar

Jul 29, 2019
fwiw I still haven't found a single chalco or limonite vein and I desperately need some damn iron :p
*catch that!
upload_2015-5-29_17-26-39.jpeg

Reactions: sprAngles

Ieldra

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2014
fwiw I still haven't found a single chalco or limonite vein and I desperately need some damn iron :p
Meanwhile, I'm drowning in various iron ores - 2 limonite veins , 2x pyrite - and I could run my base on redstone if the XU generators were enabled, but diamonds? No such luck. I tried "core-sampling" while my very slow steam macerator grinds down the copper and tin for my first blast furnace. I even found uranium and I have enough certus quartz to start an ME network were that possible now just from tunnelling down and up again....as usual, always the stuff I need very much later.

I also have a question: a small coal boiler doesn't make enough steam to run more than one steam machine at the same time. However, when I connect two machines to the steam line (BC fluid pipes since they don't cost me any bronze), the last one in the line doesn't get enough steam even if the first one isn't running, and it keeps aborting jobs. What is happening here? The machines in question are a steam macerator and a steam alloy furnace.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Meanwhile, I'm drowning in various iron ores - 2 limonite veins , 2x pyrite - and I could run my base on redstone if the XU generators were enabled, but diamonds? No such luck. I tried "core-sampling" while my very slow steam macerator grinds down the copper and tin for my first blast furnace. I even found uranium and I have enough certus quartz to start an ME network were that possible now just from tunnelling down and up again....as usual, always the stuff I need very much later.

I also have a question: a small coal boiler doesn't make enough steam to run more than one steam machine at the same time. However, when I connect two machines to the steam line (BC fluid pipes since they don't cost me any bronze), the last one in the line doesn't get enough steam even if the first one isn't running, and it keeps aborting jobs. What is happening here? The machines in question are a steam macerator and a steam alloy furnace.
The problem here is actually the alloy furnace. That thing is a beast and consumes more than its fair share of steam. And unless the pipes are fat enough, having a bunch of steam producers won't always ensure steam reaches it.

Your options are to put the alloy first in the line so it will always get its steam, or dedicate a producer to the steam alloy furnace.

Ieldra

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2014
The problem here is actually the alloy furnace. That thing is a beast and consumes more than its fair share of steam. And unless the pipes are fat enough, having a bunch of steam producers won't always ensure steam reaches it.

Your options are to put the alloy first in the line so it will always get its steam, or dedicate a producer to the steam alloy furnace.
Thanks. And...I just read up on the thing on a wiki. To run it continuously you'd need 6 small coal boilers.... I didn't expect that.

Tsuko

Jul 29, 2019
h
haha, i have tons of that stuff xD.. all i want is some redstone and diamonds now.. hard to find, i tried going the centrifuge route to centrifuge some glowstone (can duplicate glowstone with thaumcraft but not redstone sadly) to get redstone but as i learned afterwards: the basic centrifuge can't process it because of it's inferiority.

So now i'm centrifuging netherack instaid, less gains and hardly worth it, but at least i don't have to look randomly for redstone and i can go to the nether to dig some netherack for some redstone :D

Even the basic centrifuge is damn fuel expensive tho so i had to build another small coal boiler so i don't have to wait for my railcraft steel tank to fill up again with steam so i can build a bronze boiler!

So thats my current project, bronze boiler to feed my machines to increase redstone gain and reduce redstone costs (i'll eventually have to look into building an assembler and starting the liquid metals route later, i don't want to deal with it right now haha, seems complicated and space-intensive)

I think i could make some cool stuff with the byproduct: sulfur or something too, at the very least i can make batteries with it, so that is a nice bonus for my hard work :D
Also gain coal from centrifuging netherack, which is hard to find as well, this actually works out pretty well for me!

Reactions: Pyure

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Thanks. And...I just read up on the thing on a wiki. To run it continuously you'd need 6 small coal boilers.... I didn't expect that.
Alternately, a good old fashioned buffer. I often make a stack of classic glass tanks, sometimes like 15 tall.

i've certainly never made that many boilers :p

If you can manage to scrounge the materials, the best tactic is a 1-block RC boiler btw.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
h

haha, i have tons of that stuff xD.. all i want is some redstone and diamonds now.. hard to find, i tried going the centrifuge route to centrifuge some glowstone (can duplicate glowstone with thaumcraft but not redstone sadly) to get redstone but as i learned afterwards: the basic centrifuge can't process it because of it's inferiority.

So now i'm centrifuging netherack instaid, less gains and hardly worth it, but at least i don't have to look randomly for redstone and i can go to the nether to dig some netherack for some redstone :D

Even the basic centrifuge is damn fuel expensive tho so i had to build another small coal boiler so i don't have to wait for my railcraft steel tank to fill up again with steam so i can build a bronze boiler!

So thats my current project, bronze boiler to feed my machines to increase redstone gain and reduce redstone costs (i'll eventually have to look into building an assembler and starting the liquid metals route later, i don't want to deal with it right now haha, seems complicated and space-intensive)
Bearing in mind my world is like 2-3 days old :)

Yeah its really rare for me to not find iron immediately. Even the magnetite veins I'm finding are magnetite-gold instead of magnetite-iron.

Reactions: Tsuko

Tsuko

Jul 29, 2019
Bearing in mind my world is like 2-3 days old :)

Yeah its really rare for me to not find iron immediately. Even the magnetite veins I'm finding are magnetite-gold instead of magnetite-iron.

I've actually made my first treefarm since i started playing minecraft :) it is a thaumcraft golem based treefarm, i create a crap-ton of charcoal with it as well, so i don't need an efficient coal burner, just a fast one, can't wait to burn through all that charcoal i have (i must have hundredthousand charcoal or something, too much!)

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
I've actually made my first treefarm since i started playing minecraft :) it is a thaumcraft golem based treefarm, i create a crap-ton of charcoal with it as well, so i don't need an efficient coal burner, just a fast one, can't wait to burn through all that charcoal i have (i must have hundredthousand charcoal or something, too much!)
Awesome :)

I'm angling to do TC right away too. Its an absolutely massive boost in this pack.

Tsuko

Jul 29, 2019
Awesome :)

I'm angling to do TC right away too. Its an absolutely massive boost in this pack.
One big reason why i need redstone is funny enough, thaumcraft lol.

I spend stacks of redstone dust to build Gregtech machines to reduce the redstone cost of gregtech machines isn't the best use of materials, its when i gain something new its inspiring, see options such as centrifuging glowstone to get redstone.

This is huge, i'm kinda glad it is hard to do, so i'm forced into mining netherack until i get into a higher eletrical age (need 80EU/t, i'm guessing that is medium-voltage (MV) centrifuge?)

A lot of tools and stuff don't drop their important stuff in the basic pulverizer first slot, it isn't before the second or third slot, i wonder what pulverizer has 2 slots or more? built the basic macerator to try and improve the macerator speed and gaining by products, noticed it only has 1 slot for them tho :( BUT i'm happy with it, it allows me to recycle my thaumcraft tools with little loss. I heard somewhere that basic electrical machines are twise as fast as the basic steam machines, is this true?

Still nice machines though :)

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Yep, 80 eu/t is MV (33->128)

I believe you start getting byproducts with the HV macerator..

Keep hunting around, you'll find that redstone vein. You can also get redstone from both bees and ic2 crops if you're so inclined.

Ieldra

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2014
Alternately, a good old fashioned buffer. I often make a stack of classic glass tanks, sometimes like 15 tall.

i've certainly never made that many boilers :p

If you can manage to scrounge the materials, the best tactic is a 1-block RC boiler btw.
Unfortunately, a redstone engine is not strong enough to pump enough steam out of the buffer. How do you do it?
How do the RC boilers compare to GT's in terms of efficiency?